PDA

View Full Version : Something's going on.

bowens2
04-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Lately Monkey has been eating grass and throwing up. He acts fine. But the last couple of weeks off and on he has eaten grass and thrown up. I had a BG curve set up for May 8 but now I am taking him in on Friday to find out what is going on. He is up to 15 units of insulin and still running high lately. He eats fine most of the time. He has always gulped his food down but here and there lately he has ate part of it and then backed off but comes back a minute or so later and finishes it up. He does also have a small lump in the area where he had an infection in January. Feels like it could be a gland. He also recently had another ear infection but that seems to have cleared up. I just hope this is nothing to serious. I don't think I can go thru much after losing Pepper and Lou so recently.

bowens2
04-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Sorry about the green arrow thing. I use it all of the time on another message board to make my posts stand out when I am announcing things for work. It has become pretty much automatic for me on the other board and I guess it carried over to this one.

BestBuddy
04-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Hi,
How are the teeth? With Buddy it has been a dental problem most times he will not eat or eats slowly. It also raises his BG and the glands in his neck also swell. It is probably something simple so fingers crossed for the vet visit.
Jenny & Buddy

k9diabetes
04-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi Betty,

I'll be anxious to hear how things go with Monk on Friday and hope it's just a little stomach upset, maybe some tooth problems. Our cat Gus left a lot of food behind before we had his dental done. He had a couple of cracked teeth and had to have one extracted.

And you can use the green arrow any time any how!! :)

Natalie

bowens2
04-30-2008, 07:52 PM
He seems fine today. I cut back his food and cut back to 14.5 units of insulin.

But I did just find out that my sister-in-law put her lab to sleep seems he had diabetes. I did not find out until the deed was done or I may have tried to talk her out of it. I love my sister-in-law but I just can't believe she did that. 3 diabetic dogs in the family and my other sister-in-law is thinking maybe her dog is too. Now these dogs are miles apart - What could be causing something like this to so many dogs.

k9diabetes
04-30-2008, 08:44 PM
It does seem like an epidemic!

The Cushings board has been very very busy lately too, and with quite a few dogs with both diseases.

Perhaps there were lots of Cushings and diabetic dogs before and veterinary medicine and owners are more proactive now so they get diagnosed earlier and more often.

My sister had a dog with diabetes a couple of years ago. Her dog didn't make it very long because she had concurrent heart failure and went downhill fast from that. And I had a diabetic cat in the 90s.

It's really good to hear that Monk did better today.

Natalie

bowens2
05-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Monkey's BG curve couldn't have been better. My Vet said he wouldn't have believed the numbers if he hadn't taken them himself.

7:35 showed negative on the diastix
7:40 Fed & shot at home
8:22am 189
10:31am 150
12:30pm 153
3:42pm 153
5:03pm 153
6:15pm negative on the diastix
6:45pm fed & shot at home

I am going to test his urine around 8:15 just to see the result and then again at 10:15pm if he'll pee again.

He hasn't been throwing up so I guess that was a temporary thing.

bowens2
05-02-2008, 03:59 PM
That is kind why I hate to give up the Lantus even though it is so expensive.

k9diabetes
05-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Wow! That is a beautiful curve!!! :D

Monk clearly loves Lantus. We all are jealous of that curve over here. :rolleyes:

He gets Lantus twice a day, is that right?

It takes a surprisingly large amount of it too.

Really glad to hear Monk's digestive issue has passed.

Natalie

bowens2
05-03-2008, 03:27 PM
I cut his food back and cut back to 14.5 twice a day. So that seems to work. Hopefully that digestive thing doesn't come back. He does have another ear infection.

eyelostit
05-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Bowen,

I have wondered over the years with all the dogs getting diabetes and cushings, as Niki is the DB and Chief has cushings,

None of my past 6 ? dogs ever had these diseases,this is going back to 1973 years ago they were fed Come n Get it, Gravy Train, Alpo there could have been a change in what was added to dog foods.

Prev before Niki was diagnoised my dogs were eating a brand called Trio-Pro from the feed store out west, sometimes I would by some Gravy Train to mix in it. I had bought Pet food from Petco also.

Chief gets cushings at 12 yrs old.

But I had no health problems with my Lab/Weiner age 14 my G.Shepard age 18 2 Terriers age 14 and 11 and a Siberian Husky age 11 other than old age arthritus.

I blame the dog food industry for all of it, I don't think a dogs body was meant to handle all what they put in dog foods, I think dogs were better off when they got table scraps.

Next dog I bring home will eat what I eat, excluding sweets, some sweets once in awhile :D

I love my babies dearly and would not trade them for the world, we are closer than ever, but these diseases do take a lot of patience, worry and concern for the owners who are doing their best for there pets. Not to mention the expense.

I would not ever want to put my dogs down because of these diseases.

but I can understand (but not agree) with owners who do, they just cannot deal with it, work schedules, children, pets urinating or a hypo event, special expensive foods, and frustration and people have dogs just to have a dog, or give it as a pet and it doesn't work out. :(

Now how could I possibly check on what was in Dry Dog foods about 20 yrs back, something changed, anyone got an old 20 yr old label? :D

Kiska'smom
05-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Hello!

That was one great curve, Monkey!!! How I love a great success story!

As for the discussion about what is going on with our pets, I have wondered the same thing. I have always had pets, and none of them ever had serious problems. Now, Kiska has Atypical Cushings and diabetes, Sammie has low thyroid, and my kitty is in kidney failure. I have wondered about food additives, as well. So many of the pet foods have dyes in them. ( I am sensitive to food dyes, and they can trigger migraines for me.) If not dyes, then perhaps preservatives. I don't know what's going on, but I'm with Dolly. I'll bet that the petfood industry has changed their food composition a lot over the years. Maybe not for the good. I can't think of any other variable that could cause so much trouble across the board. It has to be the food.

Jeanne and Kiska

bowens2
05-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Pepper had cushings, Lou and Pepper died of cancer, and Monk has diabetes. My daughter's cat has IBS or an allergy of some kind to make her have very loose stools if not down right diarrhea and my cat had something similar but not so bad. My sister's dog had diabetes, my sister-in-laws dog had diabetes, my one brother's dog died of some type of anal disease, my other brother's dog had to have both eyes removed. The same brother who had the German shepherd die from the anal disease also has a cat that had to have his male organs removed because of a urinary disease and that cat and their other one has allergies. These are just the recent illnesses and diseases.

Is it the foods or the chemicals in yards, garages, and in the home. I look at all the conveniences in cleaning materials (including carpet cleaning), deodorizes, softeners, and soaps plus so much more. I know Monkey and Pepper were avid feet lickers.

You think you are buying natural or organic then find out that only 90% of the so called green products are really what they claim to be.

I will be surprised if they ever find out what causes diabetes. At least now they can still live a fairly normal life with diabetes. It is cancer I wish they would find a cure for. I have been touched by cancer way too many times in regards both to my furry babies and human loved ones.

Denise
05-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Love Monk's curve!!!! When did you start with thye Lantus?

What's with the ear infections? Do you think the drying powder used regularly would help? Is it a moisture issue or yeast that is never really killed?

You ask what is going on with pets and illness. In part I think it's due to pet owners that have access to info and care so we catch things that used to be missed, especially in old dogs and vet care SHOULD be better and diagnostics are better. Just think how many more dogs and cats would be dx'ed with something if vets were as smart as they think they are!

Bogie needs a dental, I actually found a loose tooth! I have to take him in tomorrow though for a UTI (actually found a couple bloody dribbles) and when we get that resolved I will schedule a dental. Reba needs a dental too but I want to get her Cushings under control and know she is feeling well.

So glad to hear Monk is doing so well!

bowens2
05-12-2008, 06:45 PM
I will have to try the drying powder. It does seem to start up usually right after he is groomed.

Monkey has been on Lantus since he was diagnosed and as much as I would like to switch to a cheaper insulin, I hesitate because he does do so well.

bowens2
05-12-2008, 06:47 PM
I tried to talk my sister in putting her dog on Lantus but I didn't really think she would go for it. She is giving her dog insulin but she doesn't really check him in any way between vet visits. She doesn't check his urine or BG.

k9diabetes
05-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Since Lantus is so variable - it was a nightmare for Chris - it's probably just as well that your sister's going with the more predictable NPH.

Lantus really requires some monitoring at least at the beginning as some dogs go through screaming highs and lows with it.

Natalie

Denise
05-13-2008, 05:43 AM
I am reading the book Dog Health for Dummies and in the ear infection section they say (written by a vet) that you can use athletes foot powder once a week in their ears.

I don't have the book right here and have to feed the dogs but will see what else it says and come back later.

bowens2
05-14-2008, 04:32 AM
Thanks for that info Denise. I wonder if they recommend any brand or if there are any types to stay away from.

Natalie- I remembered you guys saying that about Lantus. The thing I like about it most is I seem to have more leeway with time. I can do about a two hour jump either way (which I try not to do) with out any negative affect and especially since my hours vary so much at work this makes it a lot easier on my conscience. Plus I don't have to worry about the highs and lows to often with no one being at home.

She works right across the street from her house. So she can check him if she wants to. But she keeps telling me she can't get his urine. Poor thing is a bag of bones. He at least does seem somewhat better. He is moving a little better than he did a few weeks ago. He is 14 or 15 and I don't think he will last much longer at this rate. He already lost vision in one eye due to glaucoma (I am assuming it was glaucoma) and his other eye is not being treated. But he does seem to be feeling better than he did.

eyelostit
05-22-2008, 10:22 PM
Bowens,

Niki had an ear infection about 1 yr after DX she was still not regulated, per vet it was from hi bg which results from yeast forming in the ear. She gave 2 things for her ears to clean.

One problem was Niki has alot of hair by her ears so no air could get into them to dry them out a bit, so I trim around the outside of her ears a bit and get some of those large inside hairs.
But i now clean them myself and spot check her ears often, I could explain how to do it, if you don't know, its not that hard, Niki tolerates this more than a nail trim, I think it feels good to her. You can tell its yeast rather than just wax build up because there is more of the wax than usual

I had the vet show me, got so tired of paying over and over for all things back then, I don't go way down in her ear or anything like that. You don't need special stuff from the vet either.

I even learned how to express anal glands, did it a few times, but then took to vet, ah the smell was a little much, but I'm sure I will do it again in summer :eek:

If want to learn let me know.:)