Your Dog's Signs of Low Blood Sugar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Dog's Signs of Low Blood Sugar

I'm putting together a web page on hypoglycemia.

If your dog has ever experienced low blood sugar, anything from slightly low to seizures, I'd very much appreciate it if you could post describing what signs your dog gave that made you suspect low blood sugar.

Also, if the hypoglycemia was fairly severe, it would help if you could describe the early signs if there were any, as well as whatever behavior changes s/he went through before recovering, including seizures.

Thanks!!

Natalie

Re: Your Dog's Signs of Low Blood Sugar

Chris has never had an episode of severe low blood sugar. I think the lowest BG we have ever measured was in the 40s and he has never had seizures (knock on wood).

His first sign of low blood sugar is being shaky and weak. If he's on a walk, he slows to a crawl. Sometimes he can be restless.

For him, exercise and vet visits are prime times for him to go low. His blood sugar drops from anxiety, excitement, and exercise.

Natalie

Comment

When we were initially getting Lucky regulated on the old Lilly pork Lente insulin, he registered a 35. This was the only time he got syrup (2 cc's of Mrs. Butterworth in a syringe under his tongue). (And a hamburger too, after that! ) The only outward signs of his being low were the whites of his eyes had become very bloodshot.

We had been checking his eyes because we'd discovered that when he was high, his eyes were bloodshot. The color of the red we saw when he was high was much brighter than the time he was low--that was a much darker shade of red. When he was in good control--not one way or another, the whites of his eyes would be without any bloodshot at all.

When I discovered this about him, I'd say to John when we'd come in for testing whether I thought he was high or that I thought we'd all be happy with the test this time. John would have a look at his eyes and then take the test. Lucky's eyes told the tale before the test did. John then put this to work with his other diabetic patients--to see if this was true for them or simply something unique to Lucky. Their eyes had the same story Lucky's did with being high, low or in the right zone.

Comment

Zip has had a few episodes of moderate hypo and one case of extremely low bgs.
        During the few times he has had moderately low bg ( around 40 ) he would come by me and be just a general pita. More than usual, because he normally craves attention. I guess this is his way of trying to tell me that something is happening that he doesn’t like.
        When he REALLY wants attention, I usually check his bgs to find them around 40 to 50.

Fortunately for us all, he has only had one episode where the meter read LO ( I’m going to guess and say he had to be a lot lower than 40 ).
        At this time, he came over to me and started looking for attention.
        He stood by me for about 10 seconds, and dropped like a rock to the floor.

On all these occasions we gave him some Karo, and within 2 minutes he was fine.

I will admit – the real lows are scary.

Comment

Taffy would walk funny - I guess I would say stumbling almost. This only happened once when she was quite sick and not eating well. Giving the right amt of insulin was a crap shoot. I over dosed her a few times, but the rest of her six years.... no hypo's. I count myself blessed in that regard. Jody

Comment

I wonderd where Niki was, and called her, she was hiding behind a large plant in the living room, as she came to me she was jerking all over, I was panic strickened. 51 lb dog 18 units am 14 units pm

Called vet soon as it happened, was told to do the syrup and give some food

At vet next day in AM her BG was at 70, so no doubt she had to go below 20, my guess!

Signals to me when there is too much insulin from Niki, she got to the point where she did not come to me for her shot, as I called her with my stricker tone, she just came over and layed down hard on the floor as if to say "Go ahead I don't need it, but you are gonna give me the shot anyway"

This laying down with digust happened even after her dose got lowered with same food, same highs, insulin was at 14-10 units I knew something was wrong but being a novice how would I know. I believe it was rebound from still to much insulin.

Also her nose is dry when she is going low, signaling to me she needs some food or treat. (others won't agree, but thats the way it is with Niki)

The going into shock that happened was when after diag, first insulin prescribed told to give 4-3 units 2 X, each week BG hi, insulin increased over 2 months to 18-14 units, which resulted in shock. She was on Purina DCO at the time.

My opinon: Wrong food, incorrect amount of insulin, vet only did blood draw once a week.

At time I did not know about home testing, and canine diabetes board, how wrong vets are.

Niki changed to 10-10 units new vet same food, same highs.

2nd time it happened Aug 2008

We were out food shopping, theres a park right there so I always take Niki for a short walk,usually she wants to keep going sniffing all around etc, but this day she wanted to go back in the car, her head was down, slow panting, funny look about her, she never holds her head down like that, that day i was without syrup, so thankfully i had a vanilla latte, she licked it up and I gave her some kibble I keep in the car, got home 1/2 hr later her bg was at 150 so I know her BG may have gone to 70 or below. This was about 4 hrs after shot and food. Funny thing is my mom had regular pepsi, I tried this first, Niki did not like the pepsi and wanted no part of it.

Put Niki's life in my hands, as vet had said, its very hard to regulate a dog, meaning to me, it was like (no answers for me)
            Last edited by eyelostit; 11-11-2008, 02:16 AM.
            Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

When Buddy's BG is too low he usually is quite clingy as if he knows something is wrong and doesn't want to leave my side. Then he gets lethargic and sleeps and if I still haven't worked out what is going on he starts to twitch in his sleep which progresses into quite violent jerking of the legs and he is really hard to wake. Sometimes I can work out why he has gone low and other times it is a mystery but home blood testing has made it so much easier to check on Bud if I am concerned.

Comment

Brandy has had a few lows. In the 30's and will still be walking like nothing is wrong. I found that before Brandy will start to drop she gets very hyper. She will start running and will not stop. She will be running through the house and throwing her toys in the air. Not sure why I think she can feel the low and just doen't know what it is or how to make it stop. So when she does this I grab my meter and test her. It depends on the number and what I wil give her. Then I have to sit on the floor with her and make her stop running. Not so easy consedering she weighs 80 pounds.

Dawn and the girls

Comment

Dawn,

When anyone starts going low, the counter-regulatory hormones are released by the body to save itself by raising blood glucose. One of them is adrenalin:

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Co...atory_hormones

"The counter-regulatory hormones such as adrenalin/epinephrine, glucagon and cortisol/cortisone are released to provide extra energy to the body in various circumstances, or if the body believes it's threatened with hypoglycemia. In some cases this is part of the body's "self-defense" mechanism to counter the effects of too much insulin."

"epinephrine or adrenalin--Similar to cortisol but acts instantly -- used for fight-or-flight. Redirects body energy into heart & legs, forces fast glycogenolysis (creation of extra blood glucose), reduces receptivity to insulin."

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Me...er_Medications

"Epinephrine, or adrenalin, is a hormone present in all of us; most medical literature refers to it simply as the "fight or flight" hormone. It is what gives one that "extra boost" when needed to either escape danger or stand one's ground."

Some people with diabetes become restless or over active when they're too low:

http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/20...umulin_lbl.pdf

Page 5

"Symptoms of mild to moderate hypoglycemia may occur suddenly and can include restlessness."

Lucky was the opposite; he was constantly hyperactive before we got him regulated because of the high levels of glucose he had. He was like a kid who had a "sugar buzz" from way too many sweets.

Comment

Dolly: "Go ahead I don't need it, but you are gonna give me the shot anyway"
                    LOL!! They suffer our fussing so graciously, don't they?!?!?!?!

Natalie

Comment

Thanks for relating stories about hypo behavior. I will incorporate everything posted here into the page, when I finally get it written.

Anyone still interested in adding - please do!

Natalie

Comment

Originally posted by k9diabetes View Post
                        LOL!! They suffer our fussing so graciously, don't they?!?!?!?!

Natalie
                        She really did this, she'd lay down hard on the floor, i felt bad, i didn't know what was going on at the time, they are so obedient, depend on us, but i got Niki's message.
                        Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Bringing this forward for new members.

Comment

I wish I had seen this forum before we had our
                            "SIGNS"
                            I am not sure if you would say Apollo had Low Blood Sugar or too much insulin.

Let me explain --- Apollo had a very bad bladder infection that was caused by bladder stones. We didn't realize it was going on until we happened to see blood in his urine. At the time we were doing NO home testing.

He began antibiodics for the bladder infection and after a few months with no improvement we did mor testing and discovered the stones. Surgery was done.

Now -- the infection cleared up.... we still were not doing any home testing.
                            I wasn't told his insulin might need to be reduced since the infection was gone.

A few days after surgery he just started to fall over! HE could not stand on his own and had no desire to eat. We did know about Karo Syrup.... a few calls to the Vet and we discovered what was happening.

WE TEST NOW!

There have been a few other times that I know he is low... he becomes mostly antisocial -but he will bug us for something to eat. I have learned to watch for the 'signs'.
                            Apollo -13.2 lbs. Since 12/24/06. Vetsulin - 7.0 units 2x's a day. Royal Canin-Digestive Low Fat LF dry & canned. Chlorestoral meds once a day. Fish Oil 2x's a day. Potassium Citrate Granules for bladder stones.

Comment

Something to bring back up for new members!

Comment

Working...
                              X