PDA

View Full Version : Dawn's Brandy: Good News on Lumps

k9diabetes
05-15-2008, 03:12 PM
I picked this up from the CDMB and wanted to post it here for Brandy's friends here:

May 9th:

Back from the vet. We found another lump on her side. This lump is just a fattie lump. The lump on her knee has Sarcoma cells. The vet was very concerned. He said it need to be taken off ASAP. So surgery is set for Tuesday. No food or insulin in the morning Brandy get sick. He will watch her BG and give insulin if needed. But everything else checks out. Her heart is strong no sign of a mumur (doberman are known to get them). He want to do a the blood panel the same morning. Just to make sure everthing is ok just before the surgery.

I have started to do some search on Sarcoma cells. It didn't sound good. So I just stopped for now. If anyone has any site for this I would love to see. My brain is still in fog mode.

Good thought and prayer please.

May 10th

Thank you all for the kind responses. You are right I have been reading to much. My brain is in overload. The vet said he saw some sarcoma cells. He didn't say if it was cancerous. He would need to wait for the path report to tell him. The girls and I were working in the yard today. We had a wonderful day together. I needed to keep my mind busy. I was crying and doing yard work. My wonderful hubby ask me what is wrong. So I was explaining all that I have read. He asked me what is the most important thing to do? I didn't know the answer. He said silly it simple!! Getting Brandy through surgery and worry about the rest when you know for sure. You need to put it in gods hands. So that is the plan for now.

Today

BRANDY POST:

Thank you all for the good thoughts and prayers. You are all the best!!! You keep my mom from going crazy. She wouldn't let me sleep last night every hour she keep kissing me and asking me if was ok. All I wanted to do was sleep.

MOM POST:
Well when I pick up Brandy last night. I was waiting at the vet office. It was so busy everyone was picking up their babys after surgery. The vet walk through and saw me waiting and said" she is ok". A few minutes later her come Brandy with her favorite vet tech. She tells me Doctor said "Brandy mommie is waiting you better take Brandy out to her mom or she will be back her to see for herself". LOL Did my face look that bad? LOL
She got home and went pottie for like 10 minutes(Brandy hates to pee anywhere but her own yard). She came in the house and drank a gallon of water. She just kept wanting to drink, I ended up taking the water bowl away (I know bad for a diabetic I was afraid she would get sick). So tried to give her dinner. Took fasting BG and it was 485 WOW. That explained all the water. Vet told me to feed canned food. Brandy will not eat any canned food. So I ground up her kibble and mixed it with water and ground turkey. I ended up spoon feeding her. Gave her 26 units of insulin. Don't worry I gave her the water bowl back. I would put two cups of water in the bowl every half hour. After about 3 hours she stopped emptying the bowl so I just filled it with water.

This morning fasting was 169 Yeah!!! She ate her ground up breakfast all by herself. Gave 23 units of insulin. Tested 3 hours later and it was 189. I wonder if the ground up food had anything to do with the lower fasting (fasting are 250 normal).

BRANDY POST:
Mom went to work this morning. She came back home before dad left for work. Now she tells me she going back to work later. Mary will come and babysit for 3 hours. Then she will go back to work tonight after dad get home from work. What does she think I am a baby. Will someone please give my mom some. She will not leave me alone.

Sorry I got so long winded.

bowens2
05-15-2008, 05:57 PM
My prayers are with you and Brandy.

k9diabetes
05-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Dawn,

Just want you to know that I'm thinking of you and Brandy and hoping for good news from the pathology report. I'm thrilled to hear that she cruised through the surgery.

Natalie

Brandy mom
05-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Natalie
Thank you for posting this. That was a nice thing to do. The vet has called every day to check on Brandy. I keep asking if the report is in. No it will take 5-10 days. GGGGGGRRRRRR I ask him for an opinion. He will not give me one after Penny. But he did tell me the lump was encased(what ever that means) and he took a larger margin than normal. When I asked why he told me that it could have roots that he could not see and wanted to make sure he got it all. So we are still in the waiting mode. I trying to stay positive.

For anyone who want to know. Penny (non diabetic) had a lump removed for her lip in October. The vet thought it was nothing serious. When he ask me if I wanted the path report done. I said if it was your dog, what would you do? So he sent it in. To his surprise it came back cancer. Well the lump hasn't come back. So we are in the wait and see mode. Now he will not give his opinion on a lump until he has seen a report or look at it under a scope.

Dawn and the girls

rhodesian46
05-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi Dawn,
You have to stay positive or worry will kill you. I have been in your shoes with my boxer Kahlua that has had mast cell cancer stage 1 and 2 The last surgery was not cancer and I had to wait 4 days!!! Kick back and try to relax All will turn out fine. Pebbles sends hugs to Brandy!!

Brandy mom
05-19-2008, 12:17 PM
I at work and can't post all the information. The vet just called and it IS NOT CANCER. I just wanted to share this with everyone.:D

Dawn and the girls;)

Brandy mom
05-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Ok here is what the vet told me. I don't have the path report yet. It was a spindle cell tumor. It had a few other names but I can't remember. It is a type of tumor that attack the musle. The path report said all the margin were clean. YEAH!!! But can't say if it will come back. So we need to be checked every 6 months or sooner if I see anything.

The other thing the vet said is it can be treated with predsone after it is removed. This wasn't recomended on the report. Just some research he has done. But with Brandy being diabetic he doesn't want to do this unless necessary. Brandy had such high BG spikes from the predsone eye drops and that was a small amount. The amount that would need to be taken is much larger.

So it is still a wait and see thing. So now I have two dogs that have to be checked for lumps every six months.

Now that Brandy has her own thread. I need to tell you her story. Soon I will try and post it in the other form.

Dawn and the girls

We Hope
05-19-2008, 02:40 PM
http://media.bigoo.ws/content/gif/dogs/dogs_166.gif
Good News Deserves Some Posies!

k9diabetes
05-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Hi Dawn,

I'm so relieved to hear that the margins are clean!!! :) :) :) :)

According to this, the prognosis is very good when that's the case: http://www.swvets.com/downloads/Canine_Soft_Tissue_Sarcomas.pdf

Sending Brandy a huge hug,

Natalie

Jody
05-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Dawn - wonderful NEWS! You must be elated! Now go and check on Brandy and make sure she's OKAY! Hi Brandy!! :D Jody

eyelostit
05-21-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm so happy you got good news, its enough to drive ya nuts when they get these things!!!:)

ladysmom06
05-26-2008, 05:36 AM
Hi Dawn,

GREAT NEWS:D:D:D:D!!!!!!! Hugs to you and Brandy.

Brandy mom
05-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Cateract surgery on July 3, 2006. Right eye only the left eye showed some partial retinal detachment

The bad news first. Both eyes have some mild uveitis. So she will be back on the predisonlone eye drops for another month. She has been off these drop for almost 5 months. So here we go again with the wackie BG again. The opth vet said on a scale of 1-4 left eye was a -1 and right eye was a 1+. So it not to bad. We have caught it early. I notice both eyes a little red after she had the lump removed. He said it could of been there all along and the surgery just made it a little worse.

The good news. Schirmer tear test was great in both eyes. >15 minutes. So no sign of dry eye.

The better news. The pressure in both eyes was 5. So no sign of glucoma.

The best news. The left eye(non surgery eye) has regained most of it sight. The cateract has started to clear. He can see most of the retina in this eye. It appears to be normal. And her vision is good. He did notices this 6 months ago. But didn't know how much sight would return. He has never had this happen in all his years. So he was very pleased.

We are still going to use the Flurbiprofen drops. Twice a day in the right eye and once in the left.

Dawn and the girls

k9diabetes
05-29-2008, 06:45 PM
Can you use the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drops for uveitis?

Chris' Voltaren is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory that he gets for inflammation from existing cataracts.

It is a lot more expensive but Voltaren here is now available as a generic (Diclofenac) so has dropped in price.

It's our veterinary ophthalmologist's first choice for cataract inflammation.

The cataracts do sometimes break down and clear. But that process is very inflammatory so is likely also the source of her uveitis as well.

From: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=&A=1945&SourceID=

What Does it Mean when a Cataract is Mature?

A cataract’s maturity is determined by how much visual impairment is felt to be present. Since we cannot as a dog to read an eye chart, we must determine this by visual inspection of the eye. A light is used to look into the eye and view the colorful area at the back of the eye called the tapetum. (This is the area that flashes or appears colored in certain lighting.) When less than 10% of the tapetum is obstructed is very young and does not significantly change vision. When 10% to 50% of the tapetum is obstructed this cataract is called “early immature.” When 51% to 99% is obstructed, the cataract is “late immature.” The mature cataract obstructs the entire tapetum. Ideally a cataract is removed in the early immature stage for the lowest surgical complication rate.

When a cataract is “hypermature,” it is starting to actually liquefy and dissolve. While this can actually lead to the restoration of vision which sounds like a positive turn of events but the dissolution process is quite inflammatory.

All cataracts do not progress all the way to hypermature and may stay static or progress at changing rates; however, diabetic cataracts are notorious for reaching hypermaturity and creating inflammation.

What is Uveitis?

Uveitis is inflammation of the uveal tract of the eye, which consists of the vascular tissues of the eye. In simpler terms, uveitis is the inflammation that results when the hypermature cataract begins to liquefy. Uveitis is painful and tends to cause the eye to become reddened and the pupil to constrict. When uveitis is present prior to surgery, success (pain-free vision) is present in only 50% of cases 6 months after surgery as opposed to 95% of cases for whom there was no uveitis preoperatively.

Brandy mom
05-31-2008, 03:36 PM
How can you find all that information? Wow You amaze me!!

Brandy was on Diclofenac last year. For some reason this drop brother her eyes. We tried it for a few weeks and Brandy would just keep rubbing her eyes. I was afraid she would do some damage. So we put her back on Flurbrophen. This isn't the vet first choice but it will work. The vet told me that Flurbrophen can cause a spike in pressure. So he doesn't want to use it more than twice a day.

That is what the vet called it a hypermature cateract. I didn't notices this until this morning on the instruction. The uvitus is worse in the right eye that is the one that had the lens implanted. So that is why we are using the prednisone drops. I found that if I give them to Brandy 1/2 hour before she peaks the lowest that helps. It only for a few weeks this time. She was on prednisone drops for a year. I just hate seeing number in the low 300's. But if I try and increase the insulin she will drop to low. Then we end up bouncing between highs and lows. So even thought the number are higher I would rather see a flat curve. I don't know what is worse the bouncing or the higher numbers.

Dawn and the girls

k9diabetes
05-31-2008, 03:40 PM
I've had that site bookmarked for a long time as I thought it was one of the better ones about issues associated with cataracts.

If you go to my main website, www.k9diabetes.com (http://www.k9diabetes.com), I have a page of Comprehensive Links and there's a lot of my favorite bookmarked sites there. I'm hoping to get time to add some more.

Too bad Brandy can't use the Voltaren but that's a great solution you have giving the drops during her lower blood sugar times.

Natalie

Brandy mom
06-04-2008, 03:21 AM
Brandy is 8 years old today. Tomorrow will be our 2 year anniversary with diabetes. With out the help of you wonderful people. I would of never made it this far. So a Big thank you for Brandy and me.

Dawn and the girls

k9diabetes
06-04-2008, 09:02 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Sorry I don't have any dancing icons... but give Brandy a big hug from us on her birthday/anniversary!!!

Natalie and Chris
:)

BestBuddy
06-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Happy birthday Brandy and congratulations on the anniversary.

Jenny & Buddy

We Hope
06-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Hey, That's GREAT!!

Jody
06-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Happy happy B-day Brandy! Also congrats on the 2 hr anniversary! It's amazing what we can do for our furbabies! Thanks to you, she is doing well! Pats on the back to you Dawn! :p Jody

bgdavis
06-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Happy Birthday, Brandy! Posted this on the other board too!!

Bonnie and Crissy

Brandy mom
06-19-2008, 04:35 PM
I have been trying not to post this. I think I just don't want to face it. I found two more lumps on Brandy. One is in her chest area and the other is in the front leg. Just above the elbow. Almost the same spot as the one on the bag leg that was removed. I trying not to get myself workup like I did the last time. Brandy has an appointment Monday with the vet. Neither of these lumps were there last week. I check both dogs each week for lumps.

But we would appricate all the good thoughts and prayer anyone wants to give.

Dawn and the girls

k9diabetes
06-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Consider them sent many times over Dawn... will be anxiously waiting for word on Monday.

Natalie

ladysmom06
06-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi Dawn,

Prayers and good thoughts coming from our house to yours. Please keep us posted. Hugs to you and Brandy.

Brandy mom
06-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Brandy's lumps are just fat lumps. Lets have a party!!!! Thank you all for the wonderful thoughts and prayers. Our prayer were answered. The one on her leg if it gets to big will have to be removed. It just behind the elbow. So it could become a problem with walking.

I got a copy of the last blood panel. Everything was in normal range except BG. Well with no insulin before surgery that should be normal. Still it was 244. With the 1000 gr of Milk Thistle a day. All liver are with in the normal range. This is the first time in 2 years we were close before.

We are trying a different drug for the arthritis. Just to use as needed. I think it called Carfin(sp). I will have to do research on this later.

Just wanted to give all the good news, and say thank you again for the prayers.

Dawn and the girls

We Hope
06-23-2008, 02:48 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/party/5.gif
The "Just Fat" Boogie

We Hope
06-23-2008, 09:48 PM
We are trying a different drug for the arthritis. Just to use as needed. I think it called Carfin(sp). I will have to do research on this later.

Dawn and the girls

Is it this one--Rimadyl--generic name carprophen?

http://www.drugs.com/vet/rimadyl-caplets.html

Caplets

http://www.drugs.com/vet/rimadyl-chewable-tablets.html

Chewable Tablets

http://www.drugs.com/vet/rimadyl-injectable.html

Injectable

Long before diabetes, Lucky had two cruciate ligament repair surgeries. He was given Rimadyl for a short time following them both. He had no problems with the medication at all.

k9diabetes
06-23-2008, 10:49 PM
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY DANCE!!!!! :)

Brandy mom
08-17-2008, 07:16 PM
Just thought I give you all a little update on Brandy. Now her blood pressure is high. The vet called Friday and told me. It caught me by suprise. I think he said 220 or something like that. He notice it was high when he removed the lumps and wanted to check it again at a later day. He thought it might be high for the stress. He didn't tell me this. I didn't want to worry you. THANKS So Brandy had some blood work and a urine culture done. Just the normal 6 months check. Well the urine looked funny so he wanted a culture. It is some type of infection he couldn't tell by looking under the mircoscope. So the results of the culture were not in Saturday. Now they better be in tomorrow(Monday). Because he didn't want to give any antiabotic until he had the results. He is hoping the blood pressure is up from the infection. After she finishes the antibotic he want to check the pressure again.

I am glad I took her in earlier for the blood and urine check. She wasn't due until September. I thought she might have a UTI. He BG have been getting a little higher. I even tried a new bottle of insuin. In July she was giving funny Bg numbers. Lows and highs. I had to cut back on the insulin for a few day to get her back on track. So she was running in the upper 300's for a few days. She had a trace of ketones for a day. I havn't seen that since she was first DX.

Dawn and the girls

Debbie & Apollo
08-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Hi Dawn
sorry to hear that Brandy is having a rough time.

just wanted to say when Apollo had his UTI, from the bladder stones, his BP was also on the high side. And yes the Bg readings were wacky -- I tried to correct .... at the time I was actually doing more harm then good, I think -- sorry to say I had to learn the hard way --- at poor Apollos expense --you guys helped straighten me out :)

I try to be very consistent on testing his urine (at least once week) as those UTI came at us out of the blue! I have also added ear checks to that list of must check!

hope things are looking better

Debbie and Apollo

ladysmom06
08-18-2008, 04:51 PM
Hi Dawn,

Sorry:mad: to hear that Brandy is having some problems. Hoping you can get it all resolved soon. Hugs to the two of you.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

Brandy mom
08-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Brandy has a Ecoli infection. She is taking Cephalexin 500mg three times a day for 10 days. So far no stomach upset she is enjoying the extra small meal she get with the medication. She gave me the strangest look this morning at 1am when I woke her up to eat a salad with a few peices of chicken. Mom you must be nuts.LOL Her fasting BG was down a little even with the extra meal. Still in the 300. 305 to be exact but and improvement from 380 the day before.

So after she finishes the Cephalexin a new blood pressure and culture will be done. One more adventure to add to Brandy many adventures.

I final added a picture. I just figured it out.LOL Next mom adventure is signiture.

Dawn and the girls

Denise
08-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Who was it that had a dog that they couldn't get rid of the e coli? I can't remember but it was a nightmare!

I hope you don't go there!!!!

Wonder where they pick that up or is it something that is in the body and gets out of control? I haven't read much about it.

Is she feeling alright?

BestBuddy
08-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Hi,
Buddy has one of those never ending e-coli problems. The testing showed that amoxycillin would kill it but after each course as soon as I stopped it would reappear. We did a course of 10 days, then 30, then 90 and finally the IMS came to the conclusion that Buddy was going to have to take the amoxycillin for life. He is on a low dose and the e-coli is controlled if not gone and no bad side effect from either the infection or the antibiotics.
Jenny & Buddy

k9diabetes
08-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Just catching up on everything and wondering how Brandy is doing. Hope the antibiotic is clearing things up.

Have they rechecked her blood pressure?

Natalie

Brandy mom
08-29-2008, 04:35 AM
Just had her blood pressure check and culture done yesterday. It has come way down. I saw her chart it was 220/110 and yesterday day it was 155/85. I think it would of be lower. This week is Harley fest 105 anniversary. So we have millions of bikes all over the place. I have a friend who drives a Harley and when she visits the girls she brings them a treat. So every bike Brandy saw she thought it was Aunt Kate. She almost pulled my arm out of the socket trying to get to all the bikes.

Brandy had one of the famous lows Monday. Her Bg was in the 30's and 50's. I tried everything for two hours to get it up. Just when we were getting ready to leave for the emergency vet it was in the upper 70's and keep getting higher. Morning fasting was in the upper 400's. So I guess I over did the honey and treats.

Tuesday I cut the insulin from 26 units to 20 units. Now her number are in the upper 100's to low 200's. The only thing I can think of is the infection is gone and she needed less insulin. I know number in the 200's isn't perfect but it the best I can regulate Brandy at. If I try to get it any lower she will drop to low. So I have just accepted it.

I did add a avator. It took me long enough to figure it out. LOL Next will be the signature.

Dawn and the girls

Debbie & Apollo
08-29-2008, 06:07 AM
Good news! yeah!

we have a big bike ralley going on here too :)
I will second about when the infection goes away the insulin dose changes.

Hope Brandy finds Aunt Kate soon! :D

LOL
Debbie and Apollo

We Hope
08-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Everyone with diabetes spends a good deal of time planning ahead--food choices and for those who use fast/rapid-acting insulin, planning the right number of units of that to cover the meals they will eat.

Something else that people with diabetes are urged to do in advance is to formulate their own "sick day" plan for dealing with their diabetes at times when they have another illness.

http://www.diabetes.org/gestational-diabetes/sick.jsp

"Being sick can make your blood glucose (sugar) level go up very high. It can also cause serious conditions that can put you in a coma. The best way to prevent a minor illness from becoming a major problem is to work out a plan of action for sick days ahead of time.

"What Happens When You're Sick

"When you're sick, you're under stress. To deal with this stress, your body releases hormones that help it fight disease. But these hormones have side effects. They raise blood sugar levels and interfere with the blood sugar-lowering effects of insulin.

"As a result, when you are sick, it is harder to keep your blood sugar in your target range.

"If you have type 1 diabetes, you may have to take extra insulin to bring down the higher blood sugar levels."

Most often, infections raise bg's, but very serious ones are capable of lowering them to hypoglycemia levels.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hypoglycemia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

"serious systemic bacterial infection, or sepsis"

So both of you are right re: the infections caused Brandy and Apollo to have higher than normal bg's from them. :)

Kathy

k9diabetes
08-29-2008, 12:51 PM
I'm very happy to hear that Brandy's blood pressure has already dropped substantially.

High blood pressure could certainly be stressful too so that may have played into the low blood sugar.

It's just hard to imagine managing many of our dogs, including Brandy, without home testing... Talk about stress!! My blood sugar goes up just thinking about it.

Natalie

Brandy mom
01-01-2009, 04:56 PM
We have come up with a plan to use R and N insulin. Brandy has many other issue to go with regulation. First is exercise and excitement and stress. All of these will lower Brandy BG by many points. So I can and I have given treat to help this problem. Brandy can drop 50-100 points in 15 minutes. I could stop all exercise and play, but I decide a long time ago this didn't make Brandy happy. I want to give her the happiest life I can.

So that all said here is were we are now. Because of Brandy issue with dropping I keep her fasting between 200-250. Yes I would like her lower but with all the problems we have with hypo and rebounds. I do work outside of the home and can be gone for up to 10 hour a day. I can control what happens we I am not at home. She does have access to a doggie door all day. She can and will go outside a play. This works the best for us. One of problem we have is Brandy get a large rise from food fast. Her meals can raise her 100-125 points in one hour. The N insulin didn't start to kick in until 3-4 hours. So she would spend to much time in the 300. For some dogs this could be fine. Brandy just doesn't feel well when she is this high. So we needed something to help with the food rise and wouldn't cause to much of an overlap with the N insulin. So we have test R insulin and found it last a little over 4 hours. So we had to find a amount that would stop the rise and not drop the BG by to much. This has taken a lot of testing and adjustments. The next problem was to adjust the N insulin. Because now she wasn't getting a big rise from food. We need a amount to keep her BG steady with out dropping it to much. So more testing and insulin adjustments. Now we have found a amount that is working for us. It keeps her fasting 200-250 and she isn't getting much of a rise from food. Her lowest peak is between 130-150.

One other point is Brandy moring and evening fasting can be different. Many times the vet and I have thought rebounds. This isn't the problem at all. In the evening Brandy has more excitment with everyone comming home from work. She will also have more play time with someone home. So with BG testing we have come up with an different amounts of insulin.

I wanted to post this to tell you there are other way to regulate you dog. Sometimes we need to think outside the box. It has taken a lot of time to get to this point. So don't give up hope just try something different. I hope someone can learn from my experance. So as I said this is were we are now. Will it remain this way forever. As we all know with diabetes it can change anyday.

Wow I havn't posted in so long. And now I get all long winded. LO:D

Dawn and the girls

We Hope
01-01-2009, 05:44 PM
That's OK--you just saved it up! ;)

What we all need to remember is that dogs, like people, weren't stamped out with cookie cutters; we're all different and so are they.

What happens is that we need to "customize" our approaches to dealing with canine diabetes, according to our individual dog. While people can tell you what works well for them, you may find that only some or maybe not any of it works well with your dog.

The dogs are unique in a lot of their reactions too--some, like Brandy, go low from excitement, while others will go high from it. Many have those post-meal spikes, but there are some who don't have much trouble with that at all.

If you spend a little time reading at a board for people with diabetes, you'll also see that what one person's great answer for his or her diabetes-related problem might not do wonders for all the people on the board. Some will get some benefit from it but others will not.

All of us need to be open to trying something reasonable when we run into a diabetes problem; many times seeing how someone else has handled the situation we're in gives us perhaps the answer, but it gets us to thinking about more ways we might be able to solve it if that isn't it.

If it doesn't work for us, that certainly doesn't make the person who spoke about it wrong--it is his or her answer and it's nobody's fault if it doesn't work that way for us. Our answers, if we have them or when we find them, probably are going to work well for some, but not for others too.

Basically, we can all learn from each other, so we need to keep talking about how we handle or handled different aspects.

If nobody talked about his or her answers to things like this, we'd have far less of them than we do and everyone would be a lot worse off for that! :)

Kathy

eyelostit
01-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Niki is gets the large rise after food also, 100 pts before shot. So thats why I have been looking into other things to do.
Yep we gotta think outside the box at times.

Ricksma
01-02-2009, 04:35 AM
Dawn, I am lucky enough to be here with Ricky all day, so I don't have the issues with the low numbers that a lot of people do. But, if he does have a day when his fasting is, say, 50 points higher than normal for whatever reason, I have always used 1/2u of R to drop that number before he gets a big rise from his meal, hopefully keeping his time in high numbers at a minimum. I haven't adjusted the N very much, because I use such a small amount of R, and I decided to adjust the food instead. You are right Kathy, they aren't stamped out with cookie cutters...it might be easier that way, but a whole lot less fun.....;) Trudge on, folks, trudge on.

Love and hugs, Teresa and Ricky

k9diabetes
01-02-2009, 10:35 AM
That sounds like a great setup for Brandy. I love that you took a slow, methodical approach to solving the problem!

Back when we were trying to sort out Chris' issues and wanted to try NPH three times a day, the vet was not in favor because her understanding of how NPH works *most of the time. But I KNEW from our home glucose tests and experiments that NPH was not lasting 12 hours. I had curved him repeatedly and watched the insulin fade too quickly. So she had the "general guidelines" but I had the "book of Chris" just like you have the "book of Brandy" to guide you!

Nice to see you again Dawn and I personally love to read sagas! :)

Natalie

Brandy mom
01-28-2009, 02:55 AM
Just a quick note to tell you Brandy is have surgery today. She is having the lump removed that is near her eye. The regular vet got a sample and said it is round cells and should be removed.

I also noticed her fasting were getting a littlle higher. I did a 1/2 unit increase in insulin and tried new insulin. So I thought she might have a UTI. The vet thought I was nuts but tested her anyway. He had to come back in the room and tell me I was right.

If you all would send good thought and prayer our way.

Dawn and the girls

Cara's Mom
01-28-2009, 05:04 AM
Dawn, good thoughts and prayers coming your way from Cara and me:)!

All the best,

k9diabetes
01-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Hi Dawn,

I hope all went smoothly today and Brandy will be home soon. Let us know, okay?

What does "round cells" mean?

Natalie

BaileyBear
01-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Hoping all went very well with Brandy's surgery today. On the UTI...mom's always know when something isn't right, don't they. Good for you on catching it and insisting they check. :)

Patty
01-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Dawn,
Hoping Brandy sailed through her surgery today with no issue!
Patty

rhodesian46
01-28-2009, 04:48 PM
Dawn,
How did Brandy's surgery go?

Brandy mom
01-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Sorry I didn't post last night. Brandy did fine in the surgery. She had a rough night. I couldn't get her to eat so she went over 24 hours without insulin. I throught about giving her some N insulin. But her fasting was 230 without insulin for 24 hours. Stress will lower her BG.

Dawn and the girls

We Hope
01-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Let's hope that Brandy's tough times are over and that she's feeling much better now! :)

Kathy

BaileyBear
01-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Glad to hear her surgery went well. I hope she's feeling better and her appetite bounces back soon. :)

rhodesian46
01-29-2009, 01:29 PM
GladBrandy is doing good!!

Cara's Mom
01-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Happy that the surgery went fine. I sure hope Brandy will be feeling better soon!

k9diabetes
01-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Ah, I can breathe a sigh of relief. Hope she is feeling better... was it a pretty big incision to remove the lump? Close to the eye is probably pretty painful.

Natalie

Ricksma
01-30-2009, 05:36 AM
Dawn...so glad that Brandy's surgery went well. I hope she gets back to her old self really quickly. What a load off your mind!!

bgdavis
01-30-2009, 08:17 AM
Glad to hear Brandy's surgery went well. Will you get any more information on the lump? Hope Brandy heals really fast.

Bonnie and Crissy

eyelostit
01-30-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm glad Brandy is in the Pink !:)

k9diabetes
02-04-2009, 10:34 PM
I saw that you all had a rough time after the surgery... how's Brandy doing?

Brandy mom
03-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Hello everyone

Sorry I couldn't check in sooner. My computer is giving me problems and will not save any sites in favorites. So I have lost all my sites still working on replacing them.

Brandy lump did turn out to be cancer. Once again we got it all. I don't have the paper work in front of me. It was a type of cancer cause by blunt trama. I was a little freak out trying to figure out how she hit her head. It was either last fall she was falling down the stair and I caught her. We bumped head hard I saw stars. But still managed to hold her up on the stairs. Or this is the eye that didn't have cateract surgery. She has regained most of the site in this eye, but she doesn't have any depth perception. She bump this side of her head a lot. You know Brandy she runs through life. If something is in her way she just moves it. The vet thinks it could be from hitting her head over and over again. I joked that we might have to give her a foot ball helmet.

This surgery was the hardest one she ever had. She took it hard than the cateract surgery or the lump she had removed last year. I found out the vet didn't do the surgery in the morning. He had a emergency and didn't get to Brandy until almost 12 in the afternoon. So she came home about 5 hours after surgery. I think it was too soon. But Brandy was being a brat. There was a beagle their that she would get to bark every few minutes. She would stick her head around the side of the cage so the Beagle could see her and would start barking. Then the brat would go lay down.

All the blood work came back great. The vet doesn't believe she is a diabetic dog. She is back on track with the R and N insulin. And enjoying life to the fullest.

I guess I saved it all up again.

Dawn and the girls

rhodesian46
03-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Great news dawn!! Give that girl a kiss for me!!!

eyelostit
03-09-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm glad everything is Ok.

k9diabetes
03-09-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm so glad she's fully recovered from her surgery. I'd never heard of that kind of trauma induced growth before... was interesting to read about it.

Thanks for coming by and giving us an update! :)

Natalie

peggy0
03-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Hope she is on her way to recovery and a long bratty life!

BaileyBear
03-09-2009, 10:41 PM
So glad to hear the surgery was successful. I'm sorry it was so hard on her this time. But it sounds like she is back to her old self and keeps you on your toes! It cracked me up to read how mischievous she is...what a stinker. :D

Patty
03-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Hey Dawn,
Glad they got it all and Brandy is doing well! I hadn't heard of that type of trauma induced cancer either. Very interesting.
Take care!
Patty

ladysmom06
03-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Hi Dawn,

GREAT NEWS!!!!! How is Brandy doing? Hoping all is going well with her. Hugs to you and her.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady