Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuzzy Newly Diagnosed

Dog's name, breed:
    Fuzzy (or FuzzButt, whichever works at the time) , black lab mix 15 yrs (16 in August)

Weight:
    52 lbs, 65 before her medical problems began

Diet:
    Whatever she’s willing to eat. She’s a very picky eater. Fuzzy has had IBD digestion issues for at least 6 months before being diagnosed with hyperglycemia last Saturday. She ate half a can of w/d and then refused to touch it. Some nights she’ll eat Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry and canned, other times I microwave oatmeal and chicken thighs with broccoli, or will scramble eggs and serve with ground turkey, oatmeal and some cottage cheese. She gets a multivitamin, SAM-E and standardized milk thistle capsules to control elevated liver enzymes. I’ll give about 3 oz of greek yogurt or cottage cheese with half a teaspoon of probiotics and enzymes powder. This morning, the yogurt was the only thing she would eat, which worried me greatly. I discovered slippery elm bark powder, and read that it’s good for pets and people with sore digestive tracts. I trekked out to the health food store this morning and got about 5 oz of the stuff. One teaspoon of the powder cooked with diluted chicken broth made a gooey “soup”, and can be given 4 times a day. She lapped it up readily. I’m hoping that it will help soothe her intestines enough to eat higher protein meals. Her regular vet is out until May.

Insulin:
    Vetsulin, 6 units 2X a day.

Brand of BG meter if home testing:
    None yet, still researching possible meters.

“And feel free to add any additional information.”

How much time do you have? LOL. Here's the short, short version.

I got Fuzzy as a 5 month old puppy when I was 11 years old. Except for a 4 year absence when I lived out of state, she has always been there for me. While I was away, she lived with my Grandma and developed large tumors and cancers on her legs and shoulder. We’ve had them removed, and other then that, has been pretty healthy her entire life.

December 2009, I found her laying in diarrhea and vomit. I thought she was dead, but as soon as I saw her breathing I got a harness on her and gently lifted her on her feet. She could barely walk, so I had to get her on a towel and pick her up and carry her. Once her vitals stabilized, she went in to surgery. The surgeon said she had the largest gallbladder he’s ever seen. Gallbladder, spleen, and a portion of her stomach were removed. Biopsies found no cancerous materials, but found she had inflamed an inflamed liver and intestines, and e coli in her gallbladder. The e coli found was resistant to most antibiotics except gentamicin and trimethsulfate or something like that. The TMS was prescribed for a couple of weeks, and then prednisone would be started after that for 3-4 months. An insane, bumpy ride with the prednisone and other issues would soon follow.

The side effects of these medications did more harm then good. The TMS made her anemic. The prednisone did strange things to her blood and enzyme levels. Not only has she refused to eat on and off again, she's got elevated liver enzymes and now hyperglycemia to worry about. I was poking around 1800 pet meds to find a multi-vitamin for Fuzz and discovered Marin. My vet told me that it was mostly silymarin, or milk thistle extract. SAM-e could also be used together, and both supplements have shown to reduce bad liver enzymes. I got those off Amazon.com, along with a probiotics and enzymes powder to try out.

One night, she began eating, drinking, and peeing like a horse. It was really, really scary. I took her in the next morning to get a full blood test, just like before. My regular doctor was out until May, but I went in anyway because I was afraid for my poochie.

Turns out, I had every right to be concerned. Her blood glucose level was so high it was off the charts, and was checked twice just to make sure the first test was a fluke. Off to the emergency vet again late in the afternoon. Her BG did not start to come down until 7 am the next morning, and was at 400. As that specific vet was only open 7-8 AM during the weekdays and 24 hours weekends, I had to go back and forth from the ER vet to my regular vet to get her BG lowered. Last Saturday, Fuzzy stayed about 24 hours to get a curve, and is due for another one in a week.

While my regular vet is awesome, she is not going to be back until May. I got to talk to the nurse when I got the Vetsulin and needles. She appeared to try to talk me out of doing at home blood monitoring, and if I’m worried I should just bring her in to the office. Pfft, please. I thought this was rather odd. Besides telling me how to administer the insulin, I’m pretty much on my own. I was told not to give any insulin if she would not eat. I tried to tell her that Fuzzy has had a history of not wanting to eat anything due to IBD. I figured out that cooking chicken, broccoli, eggs, and a small amount of oatmeal together would be the best thing for her before an insulin shot.
    I am still looking in to the best lancet, monitor and strips to use. Stress, stress, and more stress all around. All of this is overwhelming to me.

However, one thing still keeps me going and that’s my dog. Yeah, she’s pretty old for a dog her size. But, she’s strong, and always has been. She’s not ready to go yet – there are still a lot of squirrels to bark at.
    If you’ve read all of that, I thank you.

- Lynnie and Fuzzy

EDIT: Now I realized I posted a reply to one person, and not the OP. Oops. :P

Re: Fuzzy Newly Diagnosed

Lynnie and Fuzzy,

Welcome! You have come to right place! I am not one to give advice, but there are plenty of folks who will help you along your journey with Fuzzy. They have helped me and my Ladybug over and over again. Absolutely wonderful people here!

I know everything seems overwhelming right now, but things do get better.

Hope you and Fuzzy have many "happy dances"!

Linda and Ladybug

Comment

Re: Your dog's diet, insulin, and meter used

Welcome to the forum!!! I'm so sorry to hear about all fuzzy's issues! We have many here who can help you with diabetes and with food. It's important that fuzzy gets insulin every 12 hours. Its best if the food is consistent. Given he isn't eating well, this will be a rough ride for awhile. I'm surprised that your vet put her on vetsulin. The supply of this insulin is dwindling due to an issue with it. Some are still using it, however, in the US most vets are switching their patients to Humulin N or NPH. You can read about the vetsulin problem at www.vetsulin.com. I would dicuss this with your vet asap. You don't want to start with one insulin and then have to switch.

Some important info:

the dosage that your doctor provided is very low for a 52 pound dog. The recommended dosage is .5 Unit per Kg. Fuzzy is 23 kg so should be getting almost 12 units twice a day. Initially, vetsulin recommends cutting that dosage back 25% making the initial dosage 9 units twice a day.

if fuzzy doesn't eat, most vets recommend providing 1/2 the dosage of insulin. We've all had situations where our dogs did not want to eat or couldn't eat because of medical procedures to be done that day, and provided them with 1/2 the dosage. Not giving any insulin is not going to help fuzzy at all.

Its best to give the same food and same amount every 12 hours folllowed by the insulin. until you have her regulated, it would be best to find something that she likes, and provide it to her 2x a day until she is feeling better. Once her BGs come down some she will probably eat normally.

Did they give you the results of the curve that they did? it would be good to see these numbers. You can post them here. If they didn't give them to you, please ask for them.

There is alot of good information on the site about meters and home testing. Its great peace of mind and its pretty easy with bigger dogs. I use to test my dog from his elbow pad. There are many locations to chose. You just have to see what is best for fuzzy.

Did your vet ask you to test for ketones? There are strips that you can buy at any pharmacy, target, walmarts to test for ketones. You can read about ketones at http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Ketoacidosis. Ketoacidosis is very dangerous so please have a read.

If you have any questions about this info, please don't hesitate to ask. We are here for you and fuzzy!!! Welcome again.
      Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Welcome Lynnie & Fuzzy!

Peggy provided a ton of useful information, so I will just say welcome and that you have come to the right place for help and support. Like she mentioned, it would be a very good idea to get Fuzzy on an NPH insulin sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, it appears there are vets who are trying to exhaust their own supply of Vetsulin before having to switch their patients to NPH. NPH is not only very successful in treating most dogs, but it is also cheaper and you can get it at any pharmacy. It's generally around $50 a vial at chain drug stores like Walgreens. Walmart has a manufacturing deal that allows them to market an NPH insulin under their ReliOn label for under $25, so that's another very good option that can save a bundle. The syringes are different as well, and you can get them (U-100) at any pharmacy for cheaper than purchasing U-40 syringes from the vet.

Kudos to you for already knowing that it can only be beneficial to test Fuzzy's BG at home! It will provide you with so much information and peace of mind. I can't imagine treating a diabetic pup without home testing. I have a lab mix (same weight as Fuzzy - even their starting weight was coincidentally the same) and he is super easy to test. We use the inner, upper lip and Noodle doesn't mind it a bit.

Sounds like you and Fuzzy have been down quite a challenging road together. No doubt you will both handle this together as well, and she will be back on squirrel patrol.
        Daisy & Noodle - 9 yr old Lab mix dx 1/09 ~ 51lbs ~ 38U Humulin N, 2x ~ 1 3/4 cups am/pm Blue Buffalo dry, 1/4 can am/pm BB Wilderness.

Comment

Hi Lynnie,

Welcome to you and Fuzzy... she is an old girl alright. Obviously a survivor after all she has been through.

Our Chris for the last year of his life had a lot of health problems and he often would refuse a food one day that he had cheerfully eaten the preceding week. We would shift to something else and he would eat that for a while and when he quit we would find something else.

The best way to deal with this insulin-wise is to learn to home test Fuzzy's blood sugar. Once you have testing mastered, you can check her blood sugar before meals and wait to draw up the insulin dose until you see if you can get her to eat.

If she won't eat, I would start with 1/4 of her usual insulin dose as long as her blood sugar is not on the low side. You will have her premeal blood sugar and then you can test it - do this when you can be home with her - over the next three to four hours and see how she handles 1/4 of her usual dose without food.

If she does fine and that is not enough, next time it happens you can try 1/3 of her usual dose. Working your way up to one half if need be.

That way she will get some insulin to keep her blood sugar in a reasonable range if she doesn't eat.

And you can devise, over time, a scale... Just as a possible sample (you would need to test to find out what works for her), she might get 1/3 of her dose if she eats nothing, 1/2 of her dose if she eats about a quarter of her food, 3/4 of her dose if she eats about half her food, and a full dose if she eats it all.

We had been testing Chris for a long time when he started refusing to eat some days so we were quickly able to figure out how much insulin he could handle with no food.

As for meters...

With Fuzzy I recommend the OneTouch Ultra - it has a really good reputation with larger dogs. That would be a good one to start with.

Vetsulin...

Please point your vet's office to the following:

Thank you Eileen for bringing the newest Intervet letter regarding supplies of Vetsulin to our attention!

January 8, 2010

Re: Transition Assistance Via Independent Phone Consultation

Dear Doctor:

We appreciate all your efforts in transitioning your diabetic patients currently on Vetsulin® (porcine insulin zinc suspension) to other insulin products. As discussed in our letter dated November 30, 2009, it is imperative that you transition all of your diabetic patients off of Vetsulin as future supplies of Vetsulin will be very limited in early 2010, and then exhausted.

Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health has worked with expert members of the AAHA Diabetes Guidelines Task Force and provided information on transitioning dogs and cats from Vetsulin to other insulin products (see links to these documents below). However, we have received calls from some concerned veterinarians who are still encountering difficulties despite having followed these recommendations. Therefore, we would like to offer assistance to two specific categories:
          1. Where there are still difficulties in re-regulating patients on other insulin products;
          2. Where a veterinarian had initially prescribed Vetsulin because other insulin products had been ineffective in regulating their patient.
          In order to assist with these specific patient categories, Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health has contracted with Thomas K.Graves, DVM, PhD, DACVIM and his staff at the University of Illinois, College of Veterinary Medicine, to provide independent telephone consultations on these difficult cases.

Please note that Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health is making this service available as a patient courtesy. Dr. Graves will be acting as an independent consulting veterinarian, and Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health does not guarantee or warrant that the consultation will lead to a successful resolution of these cases. Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health will not bear any responsibility for the outcomes of these cases.

If you have a patient that falls into either of the two categories mentioned above, please contact Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health technical services at 1-800-224-5318 to discuss if the case qualifies for a telephone consultation with either Dr. Graves or one of his board certified internists.

The costs associated with the telephone consultations organized by our technical services veterinarians will be covered by Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health. Any cost incurred as a result of the consultation, including, but not limited to, additional veterinary fees, recommended additional diagnostic tests or additional medications, will not be covered by this program.

Thank you for your cooperation and efforts to transition diabetic patients off of Vetsulin and onto other insulin products.

Sincerely,

Christopher Pappas, Jr., DVM
          Director, Companion Animal Technical Services
          Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health
          http://vetsulin.com/vet/Vet_ProductAlert.aspx

Comment

There is a more current update:

February 22, 2010

Re: Vetsulin® Alert Update

Dear Doctor,

This letter is a follow-up to the “Vetsulin Alert/Importance of Diabetic Pet Transition” letter issued on November 30, 2009. In that communication, we emphasized the need to begin transitioning dogs and cats from Vetsulin to other insulin products as soon as possible. This need is driven by a limited supply that will deplete shortly, and an unknown date for replenishment of this product.

We want to remind you that Vetsulin supplies are continuing to deplete, and expediting the transition of your diabetic patients on Vetsulin to other insulin products is extremely important. With the FDA approval of protamine zinc insulin for cats, a new treatment option for your feline patients is available. For both your canine and feline patients, our Technical Services department is available to work with you on difficult-to-transition patients. This may include a telephone consultation with an outside expert for further assistance. Our Technical Services department can be reached at 1-800-224-5318 between the hours of 8:30am-5:00pm EST.

Additional support is available through AAHA. They have posted a letter with some basic guidance from several expert members of the AAHA Diabetes Task Force. Additionally, AAHA provides a web cast on insulin transition hosted by experts who answer common questions practitioners face when considering alternate insulin choices for their patients. The archive of the web cast is on the AAHA website at www.aahanet.org/insulin and is open to all veterinarians.

We also encourage visiting our website at www.vetsulin.com to view current information on Vetsulin. For additional technical questions on Vetsulin, please call our Technical Services department on 1-800-224-5318. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Christopher Pappas, Jr., DVM
            Director, Companion Animal Technical Services
            Intervet/Schering-Plough Animal Health
            Linda and Ladybug

Comment

Welcome Lynnie!

I won't repeat the great advice you have received from every one else so far, but will comment on the home testing. I never understand why vets or animal nurses don't recommend testing at home!! What human would be diagnosed with diabetes and receive that same recommendation from their doctor or nurse? I'm glad that you are looking into it. There are many resources and videos here to help you.

When Ozzi was first diagnosed, I was also not advised to home test. When I asked about it, I was told it wasn't necessary, and when I pushed, the vet showed me where I could take blood from his ear. I was never successful there, and I don't think many of us who test use the ear because of the difficulty in getting blood from the ear!

It wasn't until I came to this site that I learned to home test, and got the courage to do it! I was afraid of hurting Ozzi and that delayed the whole process. I regret that now because Ozzi developed mature cataracts quickly from high sugars, and is now blind. But it is never too early and never too late to start home testing.

I can tell you that one Sunday night about midnight Ozzi was panting heavily and uncomfortable moving from room to room. I took his sugar and it was in the 500's. He already had insulin, but I was at least alerted to checking his urine ketones since his sugar was high, and I took him for a walk which drops his sugar. At least I could manage his symptoms without going to the vet for a BG at 1AM! Recently, while adjusting his insulin, he dropped to 34! Again, I was able to give him Karo and food to get his sugar up, and ultimately had to take him to the vet, but still, I was able to deal with the issue immediately. When I got to the vet his sugar was 81, so my early intervention made a difference. I wouldn't be able to manage Ozzi's diabetes without home testing, and I encourage you to do the same.

Although my vet was not exactly a proponent of home testing, I think I am slowly changing her mind! She has seen an emergency averted as I mentioned above, and she gets glucose curves from me regularly. My hope is that one day she will not only see the value of home testing in Ozzi, but for others as well, and will start to suggest it to others. I hope you get the same reaction from your vet and nurse once you start giving them the results!

Good luck, and please ask us any questions you have about anything dealing with canine diabetes,
              Kevin
              Ozzi, Dalmatian/Australian Cattle Dog mix, 12/03/1996 - 08/15/2010. Diabetes, blind from cataracts, cauda equina syndrome, and arthritis of the spine and knees. Daddy loves you Ozzi

Comment

TYVM for the welcome! The past week has been insane.

The first week after her 1st curve, I was pretty scared to test Fuzzy. Friday night, I finally broke down and got the one touch ultra mini meter and a box of 50 very expensive strips. I found that testing at the callouses works the best for us. Her BG was at 415 @ 9:30, but it was not time for her insulin yet. I didn't know what to do, so I took her for a walk and coaxed her to eat diced chicken thigh and breast meat w/egg. My school/sleep schedule has been wacky lately, so I've been giving her insulin 2 am/2pm every day. At 2 I gave her the 6 units of insulin and force fed a little bit of the blue buffalo wilderness canned food (the chicken/turkey grill high protien, low carb) BG was at 373 before giving insulin and at 327 at 4 am. I opened her mouth and put small balls of the food into her mouth.

The next day, it stayed around 350, until yesterday, when her BG stayed in the high 200's. I gave the same food as before, but gave a little bit extra wilderness mixed with w/d throughout the day.

Later last night and in this morning, her BG went back to the high 300's. Before insulin @ 2am, 438. Gave blue+w/d mix. Checked again @ 3:30am , 469. I called the emergency clinic, (they're only open 24 hours on weekends and 6pm-8 am weekdays) and they suggested that I take her to the vet in the morning.

As soon as I got off the phone, we went for a 10 minute walk. I just checked her BG an hour later and it's come down to 415.

I'm still calling the vet tomorrow as soon as they open, and will still check her BG. In the 3 days I've had the meter, I've used over 25 test strips. (Granted, 5 of them were botched as I didn't exactly know what I was doing. Most were error messages and then I decided to test my own BG. :P)

Now, as far as giving quick protein snacks for lowering blood sugar, is 1/4th of a beef ball park hot dog okay? I noticed that they have corn syrup listed in the ingredients.

Comment

ALSO: I do have a copy of her first curve values. I had this done at the all night clinic as my vet was closed that sunday.

4/17

5 PM 336
                  8 PM 239
                  11 PM 164

4/18

2 AM 149
                  7 AM 235 (adm 12 units Vetsulin @ 8 AM)
                  11 AM 130
                  3 PM 106
                  6 PM 109 (Discharged at 7 PM)

The doc wrote to not give Vetsulin that night, and that I had to bring Fuzzy into my regular vet the next morning. He recommended 6 units of Vetsulin with a recheck curve in 7-10 days. I had an appointment on Wed for that, but I will call them when they open anyway.

Comment

The dosage of 12 seemed to work well. I'm still not sure why your vet pulled it back to 6. I'm sure thats part of the issue here. Its hard to get consistent readings feeding throughout the day. Every twelve hours for the big meals and then we all feed a few snacks but you do have to find the ones that aren't going to raise fuzzys bgs. hebrew national low fat hot dogs were forbys favorites. they have no sugar and did not raise his BGs at all. Also, bits of boiled chicken or turkey or a little bit of cottage cheese works for Margaret. I also used Newmans Organic treats. They come on peanut butter and chicken and you can get them in most grocery stores and target. Let us know what the vet thinks. Also, please talk to the vet about the vetsulin issue and moving fuzzy to humulin N or NPH. There is still no info on when Vetsulin will be manufactured again. It would be a shame to get him regulated and then have to move to another insulin. and yes, i went broke on strips at the beginning
                    Last edited by peggy0; 04-26-2010, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Lynnie,
                      Congratulations on testing! Test strips can get expensive. I went through many error messages in the beginning too.

For the OneTouch Ultra test strips, try ordering online for cheaper strips.

Ebay is a good source: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories Just look for seller's that have good feedback, factory sealed boxes, and watch expiration dates.

Some members have also been using amazon for ordering strips: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...onetouch+ultra

Hocks.com is another place that sells cheaper than some retail pharmacies: http://diabetic-supplies.hocks.com/s...ra+test+strips

I try not to spend over 47 cents a strip (including shipping) for mine. Often I can get a deal for 30 some cents per strip. (Take the price and divide by the # of strips). Sometimes it just depends on the timing. But those are some tricks others shared with me in the beginning.

You've gotten some great information from the others here about timing of food/insulin and switching from Vetsulin to Humulin or Novolin NPH. So I just wanted to add my welcome! Feel free to ask questions.

Patty
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hi Lynnie,

Just want to add my welcome to the others. It's just great that you've learned to test; there are times when being able to do that seems quite essential.

I love the OneTouch meters; they seem quite consistent and reliable; I use the Ultra2 - have a Mini as well, but have to read its manual to find out how to set its date and time! And I have trouble seeing the date and time on the display. But these meters are really good, so I'm glad you have one.

It's great that you're giving Fuzzy all you can; wonderful thing to do for your dog.

Thanks for posting the curves!

I'll be here watching and cheering you on!

Mon, 26 Apr 2010 08:24:53 (PDT)
                        http://www.coherentdog.org/
                        CarolW

Comment

Talked to the main vet/owner of the animal hospital I go to over the phone. I haven't worked with him before, so I'm glad I got to speak to him while my main doctor is away. I told him I was concerned about Fuzzy not getting enough insulin @ 6 units as her BG has been sitting in the 300's. He told me I should up the dosage to 9 units. As far as the recall, he told me that the Vetsulin salesman sold him a large supply of the non-recalled batch. This is to last until 2011. They're still not certain what to give at this point, and for me to keep giving Vetsulin until they're figured out a solution.

In the meantime, I'll continue monitoring her BG levels. Thank you for the input - I do appreciate it!
                          Last edited by tardischan; 04-26-2010, 02:56 PM.

Comment

It hasn't been recalled that's true, but there are issues with it and its harder to regulate given them. At some point its going to be gone and you will have to re=regulate fuzzy on human insulin. I would be much happier if he gave you the option of switching vs. trying to use up the Vetsulin he purchased. 3 units is a big increase, so please watch Fuzzy as I know you will. Let us know how he is doing.

Comment

Hi and welcome!

I must give my two cents on the Vetsulin issue. Oh, and I must say WOW to a 3 unit increase. I do hope you home test.

My Ladybug was diagnosed with diabetes October 13, 2008. She was put on Vetsulin. It started high at 7 units twice a day, but finally wound down to 4 units twice a day once she was regulated.

In November of 2009, I started noticing glucose in her urine, she always tested negative - I was testing with the Ketostix. I wasn't home testing at the time. I called the vet and he said that it sometimes happens, that glucose spills over into the urine. I kept giving her the Vetsulin. By mid to end of December 2009, her testing with the Ketostix was through the roof, 1000 plus, and she started losing weight.

By the time she saw the vet in January 2010, her weight dropped from 33 lbs to 25 lbs. She was literally skin and bones.

It was only then that the vet told me about the FDA warning on Vetsulin and that we needed to do the transition to Humulin NPH.

When I first called him back in November, he could have told me then about the Vetsulin warning and we could have started the transition then. Not wait a few months until things were out of control. I was very very angry.

I had to start Ladybug all over again, as if she was "newly diagnosed". It really sucked. As Peggy said, if you are using up the "batch of Vetsulin that was not recalled", you are going to have to switch eventully! Why even start on the Vetsulin? I truly think it will only bring problems.

Linda and Ladybug

Comment

Working...
                              X