PDA

View Full Version : NEW: My 3 m/o Maltipoo just diagnosed

Melissak23
05-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Hello! I am new to the forum. I took my new puppy Lola to the vet yesterday for her 4th shot and was SHOCKED to find that she had cateracts already. That, her weight loss, and excessive urination prompted the Doc to run bloodwork. Sure enough, she is a diabetic. I'm SO OVERWHELMED right now. It's not like she is 5 years old. I've only had her for 4 weeks!! I am a single parent with a 2 y/o son and I don't know how I'm going to get through this. I'm so thankful to have this site as an outlet. I see that most of the posts on here are from pet owners who got a diagnosis later in the animal's life. If you any suggestions or encouragement for us, it's greatly appreciated. We go to the vet tomorrow to get her first Insulin injection. Poor little girl only weighs 1.13 lbs.http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e373/maknox/th_SAM_0121.jpg

k9diabetes
05-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Hi Melissa,

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear that Lola has diabetes!

The main difference in a diabetic this young is that it can be kind of a wild ride for the first 6-9 months because their growth makes for frequent changes in the insulin dose.

But we have another juvenile diabetic here and had one a couple of years ago. Hero, our model for baby diabetics is now 2 years old and thriving. His mom, Lisa, is very willing to help in any way she can.

From Lisa

My Hero was diagnosed at 8 weeks.... He's 2+ now and is a happy healthy dog who is diabetic. I was also told to euthanize him.

He has cataracts but is still visually gifted without having had surgery as of yet. We ran the gauntlet with all the things that come with a diabetic puppy...which was unheard of here too :) Hero was also ketonic by 12 weeks and had a very expensive and scary trip to TUFTS for a few days.

At first we were using the urine sticks to check his glucose...which was pretty useless. After his trip to the ER for ketones I learned quickly to blood test him by lip, we have been doing this ever since.

I couldn't get good control of his insulin at first when he was eating dry food. i switched him to canned only diet and finally made some progress. After a year and fussing with his terrible eating habits, I decided to put him on the dry diet all my other dogs eat. He hasn't missed a meal since last August....truly heroic.

If I can answer any questions, or help in any way email me privately at ChivalryESS@aol.com (ChivalryESS@aol.com). I haven't been on this list in a good long time, but Natalie told me of your posting. She's great! There's loads of help here for you.

PS We use Novolin N & R insulin. The R is the short acting scary one, but we have managed to use it for 2+ years now carefully as suggested to us by a pediatric endocrinologist (sp) Once you get a hang on the testing I'll tell you all about it.

Lisa & Hero

Be sure the vets starts Lola on NPH, not Vetsulin, which is not currently available to be purchased. NPH is very affordable if you get it as Relion N from Walmart. About $23 for 1,000 units of insulin.

I know you're still in a state of shock but think about learning to test her blood sugar with a glucometer. With baby diabetics, it makes a huge difference being able to know what's happening with the blood sugar.

Here is the thread for our most recent member with a baby diabetic: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?p=26146&highlight=Hero+Lisa#post26146

And hang in there. With any diabetic dog, the first month or two is the worst part. It all gets easier after you settle into a routine.

And don't hesitate to contact Lisa if you need more encouragement and assistance from someone who has done it.

Natalie

CarolW
05-16-2010, 01:22 PM
My doGNess, Melissa; I'm sorry you encountered this; thank goodness the vet caught the situation!

I have at least one other friend whose pup was diagnosed about the same age as yours; she's here in an old thread; now doing very well at well over a year old. Her Human-Mum learned to test her glucose levels using a glucometer, and that is really very helpful, especially with a growing puppy.

Yvan has some charts here, too:

http://www.coherentdog.org/vek/bgcharts2.php

Links there lead to other charts - they are old old now; Yvan is well-stabilized.

Ask any question, and we'll rush to assist you, as best we can!

Sun, 16 May 2010 13:21:49 (PDT)

Melissak23
05-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Thank you soooo much Natalie and Lisa! I'm sure I'll be contacting you after our vet visit tomorrow. This is all so brand new to me.

peggy0
05-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Lola is adorable!!! Welcome to the forum. We're here to help. Any question is a good one. Let us know how the vet visit goes.

Melissak23
05-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Hello ladies! I want to thank you again for your support. Lola had her first dose of Insulin today and the vet said her curve looked good. He put her on 1 unit of NPH....and for the FIRST time since her diagnosis Saturday, I feel like I can do this. My attitude is this: She will be blind but it's not the end of the world. She could live 3 great years with me and as long as she has the will...then I'll do whatever I can to help her. I gave my first injection at the vet's office and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I hope and pray she starts gaining some weight. We'll just take it one day at a time! :o

BestBuddy
05-17-2010, 07:34 PM
One day at a time is a good plan.

Diabetes is not a death sentence and lots of dogs can live out their normal lifespan. Of course you may have it a lot tougher because of Lola's young age but it can be done and I will be cheering you on.

Jenny

Chikki
05-18-2010, 01:16 PM
Hi Melissa,

I think your Maltipoo is adorable! I'm sorry to hear of her getting this crappy diagnosis as young. My dog got it at 5 years and I thought that was young compared to posts where people got it at 9 so I guess its all relative and bottom line plain sucks regardless of when it happens :(:(:(

Im still at trying to regulate her and have just ordered my blood glucose monitor etc. The first couple of months are the hardest, but you will make baby steps at getting better the more equipped you feel. I learnt that with the injecting her and now hopefully the glucose monitor will only take it uphill.

One day at a time really is a great plan. I'm repeating it to myself like a mantra :)

Just wanted to cheer you and the adorable one along :) You're my first other post beside my own thread. Your title caught my eye and after how great people have been with helping me, I just wanted to say hi too!

Melissak23
05-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome Chikki ;) This process is certainly not the most fun I've had. I just wanted to let you guys know that the Vet called me today and said that the other pancreatic test that was pending came back normal. Thank GOD! Otherwise, I would've had to sprinkle a powder on her food and add that to my list of monthly expenses. She is already getting some energy back and is starting to act like a puppy. I reached out to a poodle rescue center yesterday to see if they knew about possible donations for cateract surgery.....and the founder said "I would put her down." UH....thanks! Not really what I was asking! I realize her life won't be easy....and neither will mine b/c of the situation. BUT...she deserves a fair shot and so far we've gotten good news. When it gets difficult for her, I'll re-evaluate the situation. Anyway, thanks again for all of the support. It is very hard to find any information on this type of Diabetes, and I was feeling desperate when I found this site :)

CarolW
05-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Melissa - you are doing fabulously well! I'm so glad to hear things are starting out well, and that Lola's pancreas is okay, well, apart from the diabetes!

My friend with Yvan is really enjoying life with her pup. You said something about three good years - well, I'd expect a LOT more than that! On another forum, a Scottish Terrier died - of bladder cancer - at the age of 12; he'd been diagnosed with diabetes as a young pup also.

Eventually, you can teach your two-year-old son to give injections and test Lola's glucose - but - I guess I'd wait a few years before trying that one; haha!

Sounds as though you have a good vet who will really work as your team-mate. That's a very large part of living well with a diabetic dog.

I'll be here watching and cheering you on.

Wed, 19 May 2010 23:44:33 (PDT)

Chikki
05-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi Melissa!

Yes, this process isn't fun. I was so overwhelmed and in shock the first time I heard. Everything hits you - will she go blind, the vet care here sucks, how do I manage the costs, can I do this alone, how do I travel, even for an outing let alone out of the country etc. But one day at a time helps and 2 months into treating Chikki, I'm nowhere less overwhelmed - coz there's still regulating and so much to get educated on etc - but its not as bad either.

Thank God for the normal pancreatic test! Glad to hear she is already getting some energy back. I share your attitude about her deserving a chance even if our lives won't be easy. I feel like in so many ways, I wouldn't abandon my child if this had happened so why would I an animal just because they can't talk or express themselves? They're just a different species from us, not lesser beings.

You're more than welcome for the support. I'm new here so I don't have anything much to contribute besides that but you'll find others here who have more expertise than the vets I've encountered and it helps. I've learnt more thanks to them than the morons who charge me a bomb at the hospital. They will also guide you to the right links to get more informed etc. When I went browsing, I felt lost and still didn't understand a lot of it but Kathy and Natalie sent me links, pics etc and it is so step by step. I learnt how to read a syringe even vs the vet just showing me what line to draw upto and just inject. I found this site when I was desperate too :)

Take care of yourself too, like CarolW reminded me, ensure you breathe! :) Have a great weekend.

k9diabetes
05-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Vet called me today and said that the other pancreatic test that was pending came back normal. Thank GOD! Otherwise, I would've had to sprinkle a powder on her food and add that to my list of monthly expenses. She is already getting some energy back and is starting to act like a puppy. I reached out to a poodle rescue center yesterday to see if they knew about possible donations for cateract surgery.....and the founder said "I would put her down." UH....thanks! Not really what I was asking!

Wow... that's kind of shocking come from a rescue organization. Admittedly she might be overwhelming for a rescue to care for but she wasn't in need of a foster home, just some connections to some financial assistance!

There are various financial assistance organizations out there - most chronically short on funds... - but no harm in trying.

We have compiled some lists in the Answers forum: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1455

Be sure and check the pretty comprehensive list from Nancy Kay's Speaking with Spot in the last post at that thread.

Where did you get Lola?

Natalie

Melissak23
06-01-2010, 09:33 PM
You know...now that I know Lola is sick and I'm not in denial about it, I see the drastic change in her appearance from when I first got her. Underneath that fur, is nothin but skin and bones. I guess I had a case of the "moms can't really see because love is blind" :)

But on a good note...She gained half a pound in 10 days! She's up to 2.6lbs now! The doctor increased her Insulin dose to 2 units as of Saturday and she is increasingly more playful and active. She still pottys in the house A LOT, but I'm hoping the frequent urination will diminish.

So, with diet restrictions....what are some things she CAN eat that will help her gain more weight?