No Daily Testing ? Newbie here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Daily Testing ? Newbie here.

Wow, so confused . My dog was just diagnosed on June 23rd, 2010. Her BS at the vet's was 549. He sent her home on 4 units twice daily of Novolin 100 and will retest in 3 weeks. He never mentioned anything about daily BS checks done by me. Is that standard protocol for all dogs or just some circumstances ? I am to monitor her food and water intake and that's about all, other than the injections. I myself am diabetic with diet controlling it and I have a check up every 3 months. I do not need to monitor my BS daily as of yet. Can dogs be watched like this ? My husband says this is my fault as she is a chubby dog. He feels that I am obsessing over her if I do daily monitoring when the vet never told me to.

Re: No Daily Testing ? Newbie here.

Hi and Welcome!

There is a lot of variation in how much testing people do and whether they test at all. Some test just occasionally or to do a serial blood glucose curve. Some test weekly, some daily, some multiple times a day.

I personally loved home testing - it gave me so much better information. Dogs are akin to Type 1 insulin-dependent diabetics and can be getting too much insulin, be getting too little insulin, or can have a poor food/insulin balance that leaves their blood sugar high some parts of the day and low others. You can't tell much about those kinds of problems going by clinical signs alone.

But it is very common for vets not to suggest home testing. Most of us just did it anyway, figuring more knowledge is better.

There have been a few people, not many, who got obsessed with blood glucose numbers. It is hard for seriously Type A people because blood sugar is not very tidy. Lots of variation from day to day.

Please tell us more about your dog!

Sounds like she's small as she's starting on a small dose.

What insulin is she getting? If in the U.S., it should be NPH as Vetsulin is no longer available for sale.

Natalie

Comment

Just wanted to say welcome to you! Glad to have you here.
      Patty
      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hi Amy and welcome!

I had 2 vets that told me not to monitor. One just to watch for 'clinical' signs and one to spot check every week or so. I felt like I had no insight to what was going on nor any control. I learned to home monitor and tested Forbes every day before he got his shot and when I thought he was acting 'different'. You'll learn the signs. Stress, heat, sickness all have an impact on a dogs BG and until you know your dog, its a challenge. The good news is that you will definately get there! read my post at the beginning. I was petrified and the kind and knowing people on this board pulled me through.

If you answer the questions Natalie asked, we'll be glad to help out! AGain welcome
        Forbin, miss you every day. See you at the bridge Buddy.

Comment

Hi Ami & Lil,

Welcome!

My wee dog Alfie has been diabetic for nearly 2years now and we only just started home testing a few weeks ago. Alfie has never really been regulated and after far too many scary hypo episodes we found our way here to this forum. Not long after we joined I, with the support and help of lots of people started home testing.
          I am honestly amazed at how helpful its been. I have done a couple of full curves and had great feedback that has seriously made an huge difference in getting Alfie to the point where he is much more stable.

We had a wee upset last night where I felt Alfie was just now quite right and out came my meter and I found his bg to be a bit on the low side, another test about 45mins later and it was even lower so I gave a wee feed and some bread so I could sleep easy knowing his bg was getting a bit higher. Again this morning Alfie was still off so I tested again and he was very low.
          Before I started home testing I never knew when Alfie was low until he was at the point of having fits.

I am not trying to scare you by any means but home testing has totally changed our lives. I will test Alfie more regularly in the next few days due to whats happened last night and today but generally I have been testing 3times a day when things have been more settled for him.

Allison & Alfie
          Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Welcome to the both of you,

I'd just like to say that my vet was supportive of my home testing from day one...that was 6 years ago.
            I borrowed a meter from a diabetic friend of mine on the very day I got her diabetes diagnoses and have never let up.

Those that know me well know that I am very 'protesting'.
            I think it is one of the absolute best tools one can have to carefully monitor (not obsess over) their diabetes.

The more information you have on a daily basis the better quality of life you can give to them.

I test on an average of 3 times a day...if not more whenever I see something 'odd'. Better to be able to nip it in the bud before it potentially gets out of control.

Looking forward to reading more of the details.....

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Dear Amy and Lil,

Here's a big, fat welcome to you! I'm so glad you found us. Diagnosed only yesterday!

I think veterinarians vary a lot in what they do and don't suggest their clients do when the dog is diagnosed with diabetes.

I learned to test Kumbi because he stressed so badly when kept for a day at the vet's for a blood glucose curve test.

Things went much better for Kumbi after that. I would go months without testing, as Kumbi stabilized very well, and at most, I'd do occasional spot-checks if I felt something might be off.

Later in Kumbi's life (he died a couple of weeks ago, NOT of diabetes, but of cancer) - I tested him more, as we (vets and I) didn't know what might be going on with him, and at least we could keep his glucose levels reasonable, as I got his readings.

I reported all readings to my vet, by email.

They also had me monitor Kumbi's water intake for a month when he was first diagnosed. I did that by using a large measuring cup as his water-bowl.

I look forward to your further reports!

Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:48:32 (PDT)
              http://www.coherentdog.org/
              CarolW

Comment

Working...
              X