The joys and tribulations of a public forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The joys and tribulations of a public forum

When creating this forum, I never considered anything but a public forum - one that can be read by anyone in the world with an internet connection. Mainly because there are so many people and dogs we will never meet who are helped by the experiences you share here. These are people who don't register, join, post. But they read and learn and their dogs benefit.

By virture of simply sharing what you are going through with your diabetic dog, you help others.

And some people, after reading along, decide ultimately to join. They wouldn't have if they had been blocked from access from the beginning.

But it is easy to forget that literally anyone can be reading along... your family, your neighbors, your veterinarian.

That is why we make a point never to ask people for their names or their dogs' names when they join. There are many legitimate reasons people may want to remain anonymous or use only a login name and not disclose their names, their dogs' names, their locations.

The publicness of everything that is said here and the potential for one's veterinarian or family members to be reading along is something I need to emphasize more in the registration process I think. And maybe post a reminder like this periodically.

Because we get comfortable and it's just easy to forget.

When I first joined a forum about diabetic dogs back in 2004, I used my whole first and last name as a login. Eventually, I regretted that. Talk aobut a lack of anonymity! But I didn't think much about it at first and that's likely true for a lot of people.

We often have the difficult task of expressing concerns about the veterinary care a newly diagnosed diabetic dog is receiving and must consider the risk that the vet will be offended and will cause more problems for the client and his or her dog. The greater the risk I see for the dog, the more I am willing to go out on a limb to bring those concerns to the member's attention. But it's always a stressful thing to do.

I have always aimed for a forum where veterinarians could also feel comfortable reading and even posting. That if we take our job seriously, they will take what's said here seriously too.

A difficult balance.

Natalie

Re: The joys and tribulations of a public forum

I think its easy to forget that vets use the internet as well lol
    Alfie- 11 1/2yrs. 8kg diagnosed June 2008. Insulin - NPH, Novorapid & Caninsulin - a work in progress! Dx left brain neuro focal lymphoma 4th Dec 2012, still fighting on!.

Comment

Several years ago, I worked for a major bank. With regard to public statements, the chairman once advised: "Don't say anything that would embarrass you if it were printed on the front page of the NY Times." I think the same applies to a public forum.
      Don/Rudy - 12 year old Shih Tzu, 22 lbs Diag 4/28/10, 7u NPH x 2, 2.5 units of Lantis x 2, Cushings DX 8/10

Comment

I can't say enough good things about my vet!.. but I dont advertise where she works or 'who' (in full) she is!
        Claire, Paul & Jess - 11 y/o female staffy x ridgeback - diagnosed 06/14/2010 - 13.6 units of caninsulin x twice a day - eating a mix of vet & home cooked foods 'cuz she's fussy.

Comment

Its a good reminder Natalie. As you get comfortable you do sometimes forget others may be reading.
          Debbie and Zoro

Comment

I promised myself I'd be sure to bring this up now and then, so here it is.

Natalie

Comment

That reminder is a good idea, Natalie; thanks. I do tend to forget, even though my web site is also public, and has a large section on canine diabetes - related to Kumbi, who died this past 8 June - NOT of diabetes, but of cancer.

(And I only just managed to get another dog, though Kumbi was my last living companion - yikes! - the wait was excruciating - but FINALLY!)

http://www.coherentdog.org/camcome.php

I'm so wordy, that my parts on diabetes vary in how much they help - they can sometimes include details that get skipped over initially here, but the articles here on the main site are truly excellent - best I've seen - and the POSTS fill in the details. I attribute the excellence of this forum to your wise guidance, along with the assistance of your wise and experienced moderators, Patty and Peggy.

Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:16:41 (PDT)
              http://www.coherentdog.org/
              CarolW

Comment

Just last week my vet asked me the name of the group where I've learned so much of what I know....I of course gave him the name of this forum as it is by far the absolute best, believe me, I've been around diabetic groups for 6 years and have been witness to alot.

So yep, my vet may very well be one that is lurking ;-)

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I stumbled on this while searching for something else and thought I'd bring it up to the top of the forum again.

Natalie

Comment

I agree that we do need to be careful about what is posted. Not only is it terribly easy to offend someone but it's also easy for what we say to be misunderstood. It's great to be reminded that what we say can have a huge impact on many others and not just on ourselves. Thanks, Natalie!
                    Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Working...
                    X