PDA

View Full Version : Old Dogs

Jaye
12-08-2010, 03:51 PM
There is an absolutely wonderful song that I've been listening to for quite a long time by a fantastic folk singer by the name of Bill Staines. I actually got to listen to him in two "house" concerts...and heard him sing this song in person.

I'm not sure we're allowed to post links on this site, so if we're not, please let me know and I'll remove it...

This song has brought comfort to me after losing an old dog and is helping to prepare me for the inevitable with my wonderful 15.5 year old "Old Dog."

Hope you enjoy it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--8GzVV9M3w

"When their time on Earth is through
Old Dogs are forever true,
'Round the bend they wait for you
Come some tomorrow morning."

Ladybug
12-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Dear Jaye,

Absolutely beautiful!

I lost my 1st old girl December 2, 2008. Shadow was a black lab, 16 years young. Then I lost my 2nd old girl July 6, 2009. Coco was a Weim, 14 years young. I always knew these two couldn't be without each other, that Coco would not be far behind when Shadow passed.

My current old girl, diabetic Ladybug is 10-1/2 years young. I hope she sticks around for a long long time.

Thanks for sharing!

Linda/Ladybug :)

Jaye
12-08-2010, 06:05 PM
It's a beautiful song, yet hard to listen to at the same time. I intend to make a video of my Robbie using it, but am determined to do it before he passes, when I've got him on my lap to snuggle and appreciate...maybe it will make it easier...someday...

It's available in a better, more clear version on iTunes.

eileen
12-09-2010, 04:48 PM
I had a hard time in hearing the lyrics so did a search....thought I'd share if anyone is interested.

http://www.acousticmusic.com/staines/olddogslyrics.htm

Thanks for sharing Jaye.

Jaye
12-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Thanks!

Bill Staines named his latest CD "Old Dogs" and there is a pict. on the cover with him and his old Springer Spaniel.

BestBuddy
12-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks Jaye and thanks Eileen. I also couldn't bring myself to hear the words sung so was glad to be able to read them.

It is still so hard because all my "old dogs" have passed away but their memories are still so strong. I miss them!

Jenny

CarolW
12-10-2010, 07:32 AM
I have so many happy memories of a goodly number of dogs I've shared my life with - and they - they shared their lives with me, unreservedly.

Each comes back, hovering and bouncing around in the huge hole in my heart, talking to me, sometimes, helping me with my current dog(s). Each is so totally unique; yet each, totally canine.

I think of all of them, in my typical kaleidoscopic fashion! - the lessons they teach me mingle.

My doG; how dearly I love all those dogs!

They are the Predecessors, teaching me more, for benefit of their beneficiaries, the Successors, those still alive here on Earth.

Fri, 10 Dec 2010 07:31:20 (PST)

Rudy
12-11-2010, 08:48 PM
There have been many dogs that have shared their lives and affection with our family. At one point we had an old Collie and a middle aged Shih-Tzu. When the old Collie finally lost control of its hind quarters and had to be put down, the Shih-tzu went into a deep depression. We subsequently acquired another Shih-tzu puppy which brought life back into the older dog, who thrived for another 2 years until the lime disease finally took its toll. The Shi-tsu puppy is now twelve and is currently working through the trials and tribulations of diabetes and Cushings. As much as we have enjoyed our dogs throughout the 39 years of our marriage, alas, Rudy will most likely be the last as we are also now approaching old age (over 450 in dog years)

CarolW
12-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Don - a touching story. I got Camellia when I was about 511 in dog-years. She has a place to go if I get run down by a truck; ha!

I just don't survive without a dog! I guess I'm suggesting, don't let your age stop you; let your circumstances stop you if it's totally unavoidable.

Sat, 11 Dec 2010 22:39:44 (PST)

peggy0
12-12-2010, 04:28 AM
There are alot of senior dogs at rescues that need the love of a good family as well. As i get older, I hope to provide a loving home to those who were given up because they were old and maybe disabled.

MaryLea
12-26-2010, 07:17 PM
There are alot of senior dogs at rescues that need the love of a good family as well. As i get older, I hope to provide a loving home to those who were given up because they were old and maybe disabled.

Yes, and I have found a few rescue organizations which have a "senior for senior" program at a reduced cost. It sounds like it could be an ideal situation.

Leah