PDA

View Full Version : My comparison of Glucopet Meter & Reli On Ultima meters

eyelostit
08-27-2008, 10:24 PM
I had bought a Reli On meter awhile back just to have on hand in case i ran out of the Glucopet strips, so with Niki's highs and lows lately I did some BG checks with both meters same spot, same blood.

Glucopet Reli on Ultima
325 298
330 430
250 314
350 274
337 373
480 387
185 204
209 285
315 302

It seems iike if Niki is high, I really can't RELI ON that meter, sometimes the Reli On is less or more than the Glucopet, but I don't like seeing the hugh differences, so if I used the Reli On meter I would not know what to add, the 209 and 285 is a 76 pt difference, the 350 and the 274 is 76 pts diff.
Then the 480 and 387 is over 100 pts., so I dunno, then I did my own BG the Glucopet was 123 and Reli on was 97, of course thats human blood, and I had not eaten anything yet so I'd say the Reli On was correct for my BG.

As I waited in line for RX at walmart I looked at the strips pricing on all the brands, seems they are all 50.00 +, so I imagine the Glucopet is correct, seems the other meters strips run in the same price range. The Reli On strips are more cost effective, maybe thats good for humans.

I was hoping I could switch to the Reli On, but the differences can't justify me doing that.

k9diabetes
08-28-2008, 07:16 AM
We had really good results with OneTouch Ultra and I bought the strips from Hocks for about $37 a bottle. I think there are cheaper deals out there.

Could be that one meter has issues. If you can get one free or nearly free, you could try buying a new Reli-On meter and see if you get more consistent results.

We Hope
08-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Dolly,

97 is within the normal range of human blood glucose readings--no diabetes. I got the same reading when I was beginning with the Accu-Chek with my mother--I stuck myself to test its accuracy. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_sugar

"The normal blood glucose level is about 90mg/100ml, which works out to 5mM/L, since the molecular weight of glucose, C6H12O6, is about 180 g/mol daltons."

http://diabetes.webmd.com/blood-glucose-control

Here's the target bg ranges for those with diabetes:

Recommended Blood Glucose Range for People With Diabetes*
Time of Test-------------------------Goal plasma glucose
Before meals------------------------ 90-130 mg/dL(milligrams per deciliter)
Before bedtime snack-----------------less than 180mg/dL
(1-2 hours after a meal/postprandial)

*Source: American Diabetes Association, 2005

http://hocks.com/hocks_com_on_line_pharmacy/freemeter.html

Hock's has a whole page of free meter deals when you buy the strips. Ascensia Breeze is made by Bayer.

http://www.bayerdiabetes.com/us/prodserv/products/breeze2/breeze_demo.asp

The EasyGluco is the GlucoPet with non-altered strips; that and the Maxima are all made by US Diagnostics:

http://www.usdiagnostics.net/index.php

Prestige, TrueTrack and TrueRead are made by Home Diagnostics:

http://www.homediagnostics.com/products-2.asp

There's not much information about the Control, except that it's the meter you get from many of those online supply clubs some people join to save $.

The ReliOn Ultima is made by Abbott for ReliOn/W-M. Here's the page for the FAQ's about the meter. According to the FAQ's, the meter is set up to automatically flash a "ketones" warning when there's a reading of 300 mg/dl or more. If you didn't see that when you got some of the 300+ readings for Niki, the meter may have some problems. (I think you'd remember if you'd seen the "ketones" warning. :) )

http://www.relion.com/information/faq-relion_ultima.htm#6

"What does “KETONES?” mean when it appears with my glucose test result?
When your blood glucose result is 300 mg/dL or higher, “KETONES?” flashes on and off on the display window. Monitor your blood glucose again with a new test strip. If the message appears again, follow your healthcare professional’s instructions."

I'd take this meter back to W-M and get it exchanged for another ReliOn. But the real test would be to get a different ReliOn Ultima and take both of your meters when Niki has blood work done--to use some of the blood sample that's drawn for the professional test and compare results.

Kathy

eyelostit
08-30-2008, 02:10 AM
It did lite up with the check ketones

eyelostit
09-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Sometimes the Reli On Ultima meter is close to the Glucopet, but yesterday there was the 100 pt difference, I just got my Glucopet strips yesterday and bought some more Reli on ones to see how close they are, but they differ alot or are close at 15 pts difference.

I thought the biggest difference was when BG was hi, but not the case yesterday, Glucopet was 159 and Reli on was a 258.

Who knows?

I have tried both meters on myself so the meters are OK

At least Niki is not leaking urine etc, hey maybe I will try both on my uncle who is a diabetic.

eyelostit
11-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Had Glucopet tested at vet Glucopet 200 actual read was 260.

Very weird the Reli on meter matched the Glucopet, seems the Reli on is not good when BG starts to go over 225 or so, thats when the 100 pts difference starts.

We Hope
11-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Dolly,

When you're working at home, you're comparing meter to meter; when you take them both to the vet's and use some of the blood draw for the professional test, that's the real test of any meter.

It's difficult to say what the ReliOn would have done because you only compared the GlucoPet to the professional test sample, and when you did compare the GlucoPet to the professional test, that was 60 points low.

Kathy

eyelostit
11-03-2008, 12:42 AM
I took both meters with me, vet did the blood draw, then we tested meters by using tail prick. I think stress made her BG go up, maybe not.

We Hope
11-03-2008, 08:50 AM
What we'd do with Lucky, was to take the blood draw first if we had other things like nail trims, etc. to do. That way, we had the sample before any possible stress over anything else could be factored into our testing.

We found a way to "spot check" him by looking at the whites of his eyes. If the eyes were bloodshot and that was an angry, bright red, that meant his bg's were high. If they were bloodshot and that was a darker, maroon-color red, they were low. If the eyes weren't bloodshot at all, he was in a good range.

I'd tell John what I thought we'd get, he'd take a look at the eyes, and then take the test. Lucky's eyes predicted the right outcome every time. John then did the same with his other diabetic patients and found their eyes told the same story Lucky's did.

He was fine with all but one staff member. Nothing wrong had happened, but Lucky just didn't care for this particular person. If we needed to do testing and no one else was available, the person would need to take the draw. We could see him put 50 points or more on the results simply because that person had done the draw. So when we'd evaluate our results, it was necessary to say that the particular person had taken the blood, if that was who did it. :)

Kathy

eileen
11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Hello,
A quick introduction, My Border Collie mx, Mildred has been diabetic now for over 4 years. I started blood testing on day one using The One Touch Ultra, then the Asencia Contour and now the Accu Chek Aviva. I have found that it is pointless to try and compare any one meter to another, not only can one drive themselves nuts but it really can not be done as every meter is calibrated differently and do not compare. You will also find different point spands depending upon where their bg falls. Human meters are 'made' to register on the lower side on purpose so that any human diabetic testing themselves will remedy an impending low before it actually gets really bad. What ever meter is decided upon it is, in my opinion, best to just stick with that one meter. What we are really looking for are trends, not so much exact single readings. I test Mildred every day at least 4 or more times, always at fastings so know by comparing her numbers with previous readings just how she is doing. Eileen and Mildred

eileen
11-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Here's a link to one of the best places I've found to order strips, not only inexpensive but fast and reliable.
http://www.healthwarehouse.com/diabetic-supplies
Eileen

k9diabetes
11-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi Eileen,

Can you provide an official source for the assertion that meters intentionally underestimate blood glucose?

I often hear this but always anecdotally and I'm not convinced by the argument that this would be helpful to diabetics or a useful ploy by the manufacturers.

So I'd love to see some documentation that verifies the accuracy of that assertion.

Natalie

k9diabetes
11-04-2008, 02:17 PM
I agree that for day to day monitoring it's best to use one meter and work with those readings (and comparisons to lab values) so you are comparing apples to apples.

In this case, however, I see the comparisons of different meters as an exercise in learning more about how various meters work with an individual dog, as an interesting exercise, as a transition between changing meters, and as a way to verify that an animal-adjusted meter is in fact providing accurate results.

I personally have done extensive comparisons of my OneTouch Ultra, which I used for years and checked against lab values many times, to the AlphaTrak and the iPet to see whether these animal-adjusted meters did indeed more accurately measure my dog's blood sugar.

I did not find much difference at low or high ranges of blood sugar. At extremes, the OneTouch Ultra with our dog was closer to 20 points low on average while in the midranges it was a pretty consistent average of 35 points low.

The meter-to-meter results suggested that the AlphaTrak was doing a good job of accurately measuring my dog's blood sugar as comparisons to lab values showed it typically about 30-40 points low.

http://www.randomfierce.com/canines/twocompares.jpg

The goal of the meter to meter comparison is different than day to day monitoring.

Looking at Dolly's results comparing the GlucoPet, which uses an animal-adjusted strip, and the Relion gives me pause to think that the GlucoPet may not currently be measuring Niki's blood sugar accurately. It would depend on how accurate the Relion has been.

And because of the difference in time and stress/activity between the meter draws and the lab draw, I don't think we can say much about how either meter compares to lab analysis from the recent testing.

It would be interesting to compare the Relion and the GlucoPet simultaneously with a lab value.

We Hope
11-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Hello,
A quick introduction, My Border Collie mx, Mildred has been diabetic now for over 4 years. I started blood testing on day one using The One Touch Ultra, then the Asencia Contour and now the Accu Chek Aviva. I have found that it is pointless to try and compare any one meter to another, not only can one drive themselves nuts but it really can not be done as every meter is calibrated differently and do not compare. You will also find different point spands depending upon where their bg falls. Human meters are 'made' to register on the lower side on purpose so that any human diabetic testing themselves will remedy an impending low before it actually gets really bad. What ever meter is decided upon it is, in my opinion, best to just stick with that one meter. What we are really looking for are trends, not so much exact single readings. I test Mildred every day at least 4 or more times, always at fastings so know by comparing her numbers with previous readings just how she is doing. Eileen and Mildred

You can't do an accurate comparison by going meter to meter. Here's the FDA standards all human meters must meet or they are not approved, thus can't be sold. Meters for animals need not be FDA-approved to be put on the market.

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/ode/gluc.html

"The consensus document expressed the following performance goals: a) "The goal of all future Self Monitoring Blood Glucose (SMBG) systems should be to achieve a variability (system plus user) of 10% at glucose concentrations of 30-400 mg/dL 100% of the time. However, the panel is aware that the accuracy required for clinical management has not been rigorously defined.", b) "With current systems, SMBG measurements should be within 15% of the results of the reference measurements.", c) "Approximately 50-70% of individuals who receive some sort of formal training are capable of obtaining a result within 20% of the reference method; however, performance may deteriorate over time.""

This guidance document was written in 1997.

So if human meters are designed to purposely register low, how do any meet FDA approval standards? They all have some variance, as you see from the FDA standards above, but they need to at least meet those standards or they don't go on the market in the US. The approval documents for all that are sold in the US can be accessed through the FDA website.

Kathy

We Hope
11-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Here are the FDA links for the three meters Eileen mentioned--the Accu-Chek Aviva, OneTouch Ultra, and Ascensia Contour:

Accu-Chek Aviva Summary

Page 1--Claims equivalence to Accu-Chek Advantage

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf7/K070585.pdf

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfPMN/pmn.cfm?ID=20937

Accu-Chek Aviva FDA decision

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfClia/Detail.CFM?ID=774&PAGENUM=500

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfClia/Detail.CFM?ID=2446&PAGENUM=500

One Touch Ultra FDA Decisions

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf6/K060470.pdf

Bayer Ascensia Contour modified test strip

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/pdf6/K062058.pdf

Bayer Ascensia Contour Meter

Page 2

"The results of the laboratory and clinical evaluations of the Shogun (manufactures the meter for Bayer, who calls it their Ascensia) blood glucose monitoring system demonstrated that the device produces blood glucose results that are substantially equivalent to results obtained on the predicate (precursor meter to the current Ascensia) device."

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfClia/Detail.CFM?ID=4721&PAGENUM=500

Bayer Ascensia Documentation from 2003

Kathy

eyelostit
11-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Eileen, I'd love to see a picture of your dog.:)

I never thought to mention to the vet to use the actual draw blood with the meters, but anyway she had either had the nails done first then the blood draw or vice versa, checking her urine, brought Niki back to me, we waited for about 15 min for the blood test results, then we tested the meters with the tail prick, by then her BG may have went down cuz she was alot calmer being with me.

Anyway the Glucopet may have been off, maybe not, but I get a good idea of where Niki's BG is at, I check the meters also with my own blood to make sure they are working especially before and after I eat sweets.

k9diabetes
11-05-2008, 08:21 AM
Just curious... when you test the GlucoPet on yourself, do you get a normal blood sugar reading?

I would expect that it would be artificially raised by the coding of the meter to adjust it for animals.

eyelostit
11-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Yep, its normal, usually like a 105-118 depending on what i ate, when I get some new Glucopet strips I'll test myself and the Reli On one, ya you'd think it'd be higher

eileen
11-05-2008, 02:06 PM
I would love to post a pic of Mildred but haven't figured it out yet on this forum, if you could point me in the right direction I'll do it. Mildred became blind within 2 months of diagnoses, she had to remain blind for about 10 months before I had the cataracts removed in both of her eyes with a lens implanted into each. During those 10 months she fell deathly ill with a growth on her gall bladder, she required emergency surgery to remove her gall bladder at U C Davis. A month later her eye surgery was performed.In July I went to completely home cooking, before that I fed her half and half. She's about 9 years old, weighs 31.5 (at last weigh in) and receives both N and R insulin twice a day. Eileen and Mil

ankh1972
03-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Hello,

I use the Accu-Chek Aviva as well....How is it working for you? My vet states its just as accurate as a pet glucometer...Whats ur opinion?:confused:

k9diabetes
03-30-2010, 04:26 PM
The best way to use a human glucometer with your diabetic dog is to run a few comparisons of tests with it and a lab analysis of a blood sample. We used to do this whenever we went to the vet and were testing his blood sugar. I'd bring my meter along and run a test the usual way (on his lip) and then compare that reading to the lab results.

One way to be sure vet stress isn't involved is to take a reading before the vet handles your dog and one after and see if they are about the same. If your dog stresses big time when having blood drawn by the vet, for example, that stress could raise his blood sugar so the lab analyzed sample would come out a lot higher than a meter sample you took before that stress.

Over the years, it's definitely the case that human meters tend to read the blood sugar for dogs lower than actual. How much lower varies meter to meter, even within the same brand, and dog to dog.

That's why it's best just to find out via a lab comparison how your meter reads with your dog.

Natalie

k9diabetes
09-07-2016, 11:23 AM
This is a very old thread but some good discussion about meters and testing in it.