PDA

View Full Version : Katy and Her Story

AmbaLaBamba
04-07-2011, 08:07 AM
http://i51.tinypic.com/2yw8uja.jpg

We have a 5 and a half year old West Highland White Terrier named Katy and last week she was diagnosed with diabetes. We didn't think anything of it (me and my parents) until she started drinking heaps of water and getting hungry more often. Family members also started to wonder why she had lost so much weight as we used to refer to her as a 'Chunky Monkey'.
We took her to the vets first time around and she gave her some antibiotics to take as she said it would only be an infection (she was sore and red below), a week passed, it still hadn't cleared and Katy was still drinking more and she was still begging for food when it came to tea time. We took her back and the same night she had the test for diabetes it was confirmed.

So now we have to give her 2 daily shots of 5 units, it has been struggle for all of us because we are completely new to this. She hasn't been the best patient so far but we're trying our best to give her her full dose of insulin (or as close to it as we can as instructed by the vet). She hates having her skin pulled. I'm also the one who's giving her the injections and I'm not exactly good when it comes to needles (have a phobia).

We've switched her food from Iams to Hill's W/D and she seems to enjoy it, though her appetite hasn't been the best in the last couple of days. Hopefully things will start to improve as we continue.

(We all seems to think that this has been brought on by stress, in the last 2 years she has had 3 major operations on her back legs in order to insert plates. 2 within the same week due to one of the screws breaking from the bone.)