PDA

View Full Version : Eileen's Mildred

Pages : [1] 2 3

eileen
11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Hello,
A quick introduction, My Border Collie mx, Mildred has been diabetic now for over 4 years. I started blood testing on day one using The One Touch Ultra, then the Asencia Contour and now the Accu Chek Aviva. I test Mildred every day at least 4 or more times, always at fastings so know by comparing her numbers with previous readings just how she is doing.
Eileen and Mildred

eileen
11-05-2008, 02:06 PM
I would love to post a pic of Mildred but haven't figured it out yet on this forum, if you could point me in the right direction I'll do it. Mildred became blind within 2 months of diagnoses, she had to remain blind for about 10 months before I had the cataracts removed in both of her eyes with a lens implanted into each. During those 10 months she fell deathly ill with a growth on her gall bladder, she required emergency surgery to remove her gall bladder at U C Davis. A month later her eye surgery was performed.In July I went to completely home cooking, before that I fed her half and half. She's about 9 years old, weighs 31.5 (at last weigh in) and receives both N and R insulin twice a day. Eileen and Mil

k9diabetes
11-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi Eileen,

I set up a thread just for Mildred. Will be back in a minute with some links and advice about uploading pictures.

Welcome to the forum... I'm looking forward to seeing Mildred too! :)

Natalie

k9diabetes
11-05-2008, 02:20 PM
There are instructions for how to add your Avatar - that's the picture next to your posts, and how to add a picture that's already online to the body of a post here: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18.

The user photo album is a new function. If you click on your own profile name, you should see a spot on the right hand side of the screen in your profile that allows you to add a photo album. It's pretty easy - you just upload pictures from your computer! Hope this link will take you to your own profile: http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/member.php?u=322

Holler if you need more help, okay?

Natalie

eileen
11-05-2008, 02:50 PM
thanks so much Natalie for straightening me out! I might also add that I also had a diabetic cat named Bobby, he was diabetic for 3 years but in remission for 10 months before he sadly passed away in July of 2007 from congestive heart failure. Eileen

CarolW
11-05-2008, 06:53 PM
Hey, Eileen! You MADE IT! I've never seen a picture of Mildred before. Good heavens; she is BEAUTIFUL!

I'm so glad you found your way here. (Dear friends all - Eileen and I have known each other on another place, which kind of seriously fell apart recently; ha!)

So, Eileen, I'm looking forward to your continuing posts!

Love and hugs, and a big fat welcome to you - it feels strange to me to be in a place before you were here, as you've always been a member Senior to me!

Wed, 5 Nov 2008 18:52:59 (PST)

eileen
11-06-2008, 07:14 AM
Thanks Carol for your warm welcome! also for suggesting this forum. Looking forward to continuing the learning process with this disease as it is so unpredictible we must stay on our toes. Eileen and Mil

CarolW
11-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Hehe, Eileen - well, with dogs - cats too - we always need to be on our toes!

Thu, 6 Nov 2008 07:40:06 (PST)

We Hope
02-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Eileen,

Are you using Humalog (rapid acting analog--needs a prescription) or Humulin R (fast-acting--no prescription needed)? Wondering because I believe you were using Humulin R in addition to the NPH insulin.

Kathy

eileen
02-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Kathy...I was using R but found it to be too unpredictable with afternoon overlap and occasional lingering. I switched to Humalog about 2 weeks ago and am seeing much better numbers now without the worry of any overlap with the NPH, I can see that it is 'in and out' in about 4-5 hours. Yes, it does require a script. Eileen

We Hope
02-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Do you mind taking a minute and updating that on Mildred's "portrait" post, as well as what you believe the switch has done for her?

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4226&postcount=13

Thanks! :)

Kathy

Patty
01-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Eileen,
I pulled your old post so I wasn't going way off topic on the free meter thread.

I understand the need to be as accurate as possible when you're using Humalog as well. I used Humalog with Ali when we were doing a trial of Lantus - strictly as a correction bolus. Just a 1/2 unit could bring her down 100 points over several hours.

I'm curious how much of a rise Mildred gets with meals and how much NPH/Humalog she's on.

Do you draw from a vial or from pen cartridges?

Take care, :)
Patty

eileen
01-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner Patty.

To briefly bring things up to date....

In the early part of December Mildred suffered what we are guessing to be a stroke. I awoke one morning to find her walking in circles with a far away stare in her eyes. I took her to several vet appointments which finally thru extensive blood work her cholesterol and trigylceride levels were found to be thru the roof. Vet put her on a very strict ALL veggie diet which cut out the need for Humalog and cut her NPH requirement to less than half. After 3 weeks of this diet we retested her levels. Her cholesterol dropped dramatically as well as her triglyc. level down from 6330 to 68. We have since added only white fish to her veggies which is still not requiring Humalog. We will retest the early part of Feb.
Great news is that almost as soon as she started this veggie diet she completely pulled thru her stroke.

To answer your question regarding Humalog/NPH requirement...

Before all of this happened she ate a diet of extra lean hamburger, brown rice and veggies. Her postprandial spike would be as much as 150-250 points. Depending upon where her fasting was she would receive between 1-2 units of Humalog and most recently 11 units of NPH. She was a 31 pound dog, diabetic for 5.3 years and most always a difficult dog to regulate.
Since her recent diet she is down to 25.6 pounds which I would say is her ideal weight.

I buy her Humalog in vials as I have had internists say it can be used up to 60 days which I do with the results being fine....I am still throwing away alot. I have friends who do use the pen vials, I just haven't gone this route.

Eileen/Mil

Patty
01-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks Eileen. I was just curious...always learning what others are doing. What's your main source of "fiber" to carry her through the insulin peak? Ali's on a raw diet due to allergies and that's always a struggle for us. I feed her 4x/day and her 2nd meals now have yams and carrots in it which helps.

So glad she pulled out of it and her trig/chol decreased! That's a huge drop!

I asked about the pen cartridges because I have a coupon I'm not using for them. May pass it on to the free clinic.

Take care,
Patty

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom
01-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Wow Eileen! I can imagine how scarey that had to be!

You are such a dedicated dog-mom - kudos to you!

Tami & Soapher

eileen
01-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Oh you're welcome Patty...I too always like to hear what others are doing.

Her actual diet for the moment is white fish and a mixture of cauliflower, broccoli and pure pumpkin. I'm debating over whether to add potatoes or yams so to help with the peak. Currently I am 'snacking' her mid afternoon if need be.

Do you have any thoughts on white potatoes?
How do you fix the yams for Ali?....I would imagine cooking and squashing or dicing?

Thanks for the thought of passing on the coupon for Humalog pen cartridges. I'm sure the clinic will be very happy to receive it.

Eileen/Mil

eileen
01-05-2010, 01:09 PM
oh boy Tami, was it ever. Especially after the first few days when she wasn't improving and her vet actually threw his hands in the air and said he had no idea as to what to do short of sending me to get an MRI. In all honesty I thought it was the end.
At this point he said we'd do blood work and low and behold this is what it apparently was, high fat levels yet she had been on a low fat diet.

I love Soaphie's photo, Mil too is a BC mix...I'm trying to figure out how to get her picture on my posts...I'm computer challenged ;-)

Eileen/Mil

Patty
01-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Do you have any thoughts on white potatoes?
How do you fix the yams for Ali?....I would imagine cooking and squashing or dicing?

Right now her food is pre-mixed. It's one of the Primal formulas: http://www.primalpetfoods.com/product/detail/c/7/id/3 She's on Pheasant for 1st meal and Chicken for 2nd before the insulin peak.

I have in the past added a number of things to her 2nd meals when we were just using Pheasant and it didn't have enough carbs/fiber to carry her through. I added mango for more immediate sugar (they are kidney friendly - but mangos are not very ripe right now) and white rice for longer lasting.

Also tried sweet potatoes, pumpkin, and brown rice...all gave Ali a high on the tail end of her curve but didn't keep her up in the middle. When I used the sweet potatoes, I peeled and quartered them, boiled them in a bit of water, drained then mashed and kept in fridge for a week.

I never did try white potatoes, although it was suggested. I tried the other foods first since white potatoes are known to aggravate arthritis/inflammation. Ali doesn't have arthritis but I was afraid of the inflammatory response with her allergies. Oatmeal and buckwheat were 2 other trials in the beginning and both made her very itchy.

Right now I'm using green lentils when she needs a bit more "lasting power" on a more active day. I add them to her chicken meal and they seem to help quite a bit. I found I need to weigh them in grams as 1 T didn't always come out the same and gave a varied result. I had more consistent results when I started using the scale.

Quinoa was another suggestion, I have it sitting in my pantry as an option but haven't tried it.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do ;)

Take care,
Patty

eileen
08-20-2010, 01:35 PM
With bloodwork results showing an elevation in Mildred's BUN being at 35 with reference range, 7-27, her vet wants to start supplementing her with Azodyl.

I'm wondering if there are any other 'users' that can offer input.

Thanks.

Patty
08-20-2010, 02:47 PM
Eileen,
It doesn't look like it could hurt to try. It looks like a probiotic type blend with psyllium husk:
Ingredients
Ingredients: Kibow BioticsŪ [E. thermophilus (KB 19), L. acidophilus (KB 27), B. longum (KB 31), Psyllium husk].

The Amazon reviews looked good for the product for what it's worth. The negative ones seem to be related to the company's handling of the product. http://www.amazon.com/Azodyl-60-Capsules/product-reviews/B000MSVR66/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

More info: http://www.vetoquinolusa.com/pages/pro_azodyl.html
Patty

eileen
08-20-2010, 03:27 PM
OH, Dear Patty...THANK YOU for bringing the need for this to be shipped cold to my attention...I had no idea.

I had just ordered it from entirelypets.com online so just called them and before I could get my question out as to if it is shipped with cold packs the fellow said it is shipped priority, with packs.

Whew...THANKS again so much!

Vet's price was 45.00...entirelypets including shipping and tax, 32.00.
Vet actually suggested that I look online.

Patty
08-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Good deal Eileen. Let us know if it helps :)
Patty

Jaye
08-21-2010, 07:43 AM
I have two cats with kidney failure issues. I've been using Azodyl and they've been maintaining for two years. In fact, one's numbers actually dropped. (Can't remember specifically which test...BUN and creatinine?)

I'd be wary of ordering it on-line, however. It has to be cold and even with cold packs or dry ice, sitting in the hot sun in a UPS truck or in your mailbox can't be good. Maybe I'll try it this winter, but until I can be sure it will come still cool, I'll bite the bullet and get it from my vet.

eileen
08-21-2010, 08:20 AM
I have two cats with kidney failure issues. I've been using Azodyl and they've been maintaining for two years. In fact, one's numbers actually dropped. (Can't remember specifically which test...BUN and creatinine?)

I'd be wary of ordering it on-line, however. It has to be cold and even with cold packs or dry ice, sitting in the hot sun in a UPS truck or in your mailbox can't be good. Maybe I'll try it this winter, but until I can be sure it will come still cool, I'll bite the bullet and get it from my vet.

Thanks Jaye....I also have a cat with crf that is still (knock on wood) doing very well 1 year after her diagnoses and being maintained only by sub-q's every third day.

I have ordered TONS of pet supplies thru entirelypets so do trust them. After Patty alerting me to the fact that Azodyl needs to be kept cold I called them and they said that it IS shipped with cold packs and even tho I only paid for flat rate shipping they send it out priority.
I just checked the tracking of my package and I see that it arrived in my City this morning at 4 a/m so will be delivered to my house by my mail carrier today by noon....this less than 24 hours since I placed the order.
The listed weight was 3 pounds so I am sure they did as they said.

I was always leary too of ordering online but by golly, once I found a reliable source I must use them as the differences in cost on various meds is amazing.

Mildred also uses Epakitin which is 65.00 thru my vet and 43.00 thru entirelypets.....this is also a monthly expense along with everything else.

Off the topic entirely but I have an asthmatic cat too which uses inhaled meds....these ordered from Canada cuts the cost in about a third.

eileen
08-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Jaye,

For the heck of it I called entirelypets and asked them, 'what if my package does not arrive today and has to sit until Monday with ice packs melted.'

I was told that the manufacturer, Vetoquinol, guaratees that the product (Azodyl) stays active for up to 5 days at 100 degree temps.
So, with the ice packs keeping it cold for 48 hours I should be good.
Of course not that I would like to see it arrive warm.

I tried to call Vetoquinol (800-267-5707) to confirm but they are closed as it is Saturday.

Thought you may be interested with this information.

CarolW
08-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Hope it arrives today, Eileen - and cold! Good luck; it sounds like a really useful supplement.

Sat, 21 Aug 2010 11:29:48 (PDT)

eileen
08-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks Carol.

I joined a K9kidney group yesterday and posted Mildred's blood results as was asked by the group.
Two of the moderators responded by carefully looking over the results and concured with my vet that even with Mil's elevated BUN it is not necessarily an indication of kidney failure but possibly dehydration and/or infection.

Mildred was put on Cephalexin yesterday for a possible UTI as well as this Azodyl for kidney support.

I've been having terribly high glucose levels with her lately so had to take her in on Thursday.

I'm working out in the back yard and as much as Mildred wants to be outside with me I must leave her in the house so to alert me when/if someone comes to the front door...hopefully soon with my package.

CarolW
08-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Eileen - I'm really laughing. You and I have an awful lot in common; that is, when our dogs have high glucose levels, so do we.

HAHAHA!

Camellia Camelo's cortisol levels are still very high; I can tell because she startles so easily - but the more rest I allow her, or encourage her to get, the less jumpy she gets.

Aha; same as humans.

Hope that package comes!

Hugs,

Sat, 21 Aug 2010 12:42:15 (PDT)

Cornspot
08-21-2010, 06:27 PM
There is a cat that boards with us that uses it. I bought it for my Dolly (severe arthritis and more likely than not, cancer) as she could not get by without taking an NSAID, even with lots of Tramadol. However, I never re-checked her blood levels to see how they were. She never started vomiting, so I am guessing her kidneys were still doing what they needed to do. Dolly was not diabetic; I do not know how it will affect BGs. It is basically a type of probiotic (hence the need to keep cool), so it may change how food is absorbed.

eileen
08-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Well, received my package with the Azodyl from entirelypets today....HOT.

I contacted Vetoquinol directly to ask about the length of time it can be left unrefrigerated, this was the reply to my email.

" Under 80 degrees it is good for 72 hours. I hope this helps"

But yet on Saturday when I was concerned and called entirelypets they said the manufacturer gaurantees it in 100 degree temp for 5 days....shhheessshhh!!!

I just got off the phone with entirelypets and they gladly (haha) said they would reship a new bottle today and I will receive it tomorrow.

Bottom line is that if at the time I placed the order I had been aware that it needed to be kept cold I would have waited for a week day to order and not on a Friday afternoon.

Thanks Sonya for adding your positive comments to the great benefits I have been reading about this product for both cats and dogs.

Cornspot
08-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Let us know it works! I am always wanting to know if "alternative" products are any good.

The Azodyl is supposed to help the BUN (a metabolic waste product that builds up on high protein diets and even more if animal's kidneys are not filtering well). But you also need to keep an eye on the calcium:phosporus ratio when you get your bloodwork. Ideally, the calcium will be approx twice the phosphorus or at least one to one. If the phosporus is higher than the calcium, the kidneys are in severe distress, and you may want to consider adding a phosphate binder.

Epikitin is the brand the vets where I work prescribe. It is mostly cellulose with some calcium cabonate and some chitosan mixed in. It is way more expensive than it should be. You may be able to mix in your own calcium carbonate and chitosan (from a health food store), but I have no idea what dosage to use. I was using a little bit of calcium carbonate for Dolly. You can get it anywhere, but I have reptiles and am always picking up samples of "cricket dust" , so that's what I used.

eileen
08-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Hi Sonya,

Mildred's vet put her on Epakitin back in December when her triglyceride level reached 6300 ( I had previously mistakenly posted 3300) and she suffered a stroke.

With this and an all veggie diet it came down to the lower end of 'normal' in about 3 weeks.
She has continued on Epakitin ever since as vet said that altho it is primarily to help with kidney support it is also being found to help with high triglycerides.

I purchase it online as my vet charges 65.00 and I can buy it thru entirelypets for 43.00.

Along with the Azodyl her vet has upped her dose of Epakitin too.

As you know, Azodyl and Epakitin are made by the same manufacturer, Vetoquinol.

I'll post an update in a few weeks when I have her BUN and urinalysis performed.

I appreciate your response to my inquiry.

eileen
09-17-2010, 08:35 AM
I really can't recall whether or not I ever started a 'Mildred' thread, in any case I'm going to change her 'Azodyl' thread now to be her very own ongoing thread...

I'm having a bit of brain fog this morning.:rolleyes:

Can someone please refresh my memory and tell me how many hours should pass between giving a probiotic and an antibiotic.

Thanks so much!

~~~It appears that the title of the thread is still the same, 'Is anyone using azodyl ? '......could someone who knows what they are doing (as I do not ) tell me how to change the title of the thread, if that's acceptable or even possible...or do it for me? thanks

Patty
09-17-2010, 09:29 AM
There are a lot of differing opinions on probiotic therapy out there. Here are a few articles I found:

http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijnw/vol2n1/probiotics.xml Scroll down to consumption.
"During antibiotic therapy, taking probiotics as well keeps the intestinal flora in proper balance. They can be taken together, but not at the same time of day. In order for the probiotics to be the most effective, they should be taken at least two hours after each dose of antibiotic. When the treatment has been completed, double or triple the probiotic supplements for about ten days or two weeks. Probiotics should be taken with food or shortly after eating as food dilutes the stomach acids enough for them to survive their trip through to the intestines where they belong."

I've heard others say take them 3 hours prior.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/groups/healthypets/forum/t/104865.aspx
"Our recommendation: give the probiotic 2-4 hours after antibiotic therapy. So let's say your antibiotic is to be given every 12 hours (6 am and 6 pm), give your probiotic at 8-10 am and 8-10 pm. Consider it "damage control" during antibiotic administration and then of course, keep up with probiotic therapy at least a month post drug therapy"

And this article isn't on timing but which probiotics are effective - interesting: http://articles.cnn.com/2009-03-10/health/healthmag.probiotics.stomach_1_boulardii-probiotic-saccharomyces?_s=PM:HEALTH

I always give Ali her probiotic with her 1st meal, so when I added the antibiotic to her routine I put it in her 2nd meal which is 4 hours post insulin. Looks like I'm doing things a bit backward from the articles here.

Hope that helps,
Patty

eileen
09-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Oh THANK YOU, Patty! You were a BIG help.

I knew there was timing involved just couldn't remember the sequence...seems I gave her probiotic 3 hours before her antibiotic, guess I did it backwards too.

Then to throw in the timing of her thyroid medication...sheesh.

Thanks so much for the articles, all 3 of them, I'll print them out and add to her binder ( yep, I do things the old fashion way).

...And thanks for setting up Mil's thread ;)

CarolW
09-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Yeah, Patty, thanks! Eileen, it's about time Mildred had her own thread! So glad to see it!

Camellia sends her greetings to Mildred, and adds, "I'm learning to eat yogurt!" In little bits. Well, why not? I give her a thimbleful or so from my palm, usually about half an hour after she eats. Want to get her used to the taste.

Kwali and Kumbi's holistic vet, who does allopathic as well, recommended putting yogurt on the dogs' food. Which I did. I see now that probably wasn't the greatest timing! Kwali was only very rarely on antibiotics, but Kumbi was on them occasionally, and sometimes for long courses.

Oops - well, Kwali was on Tylosin from a month or two before she died, right through to her death, as we weren't sure what the problem was.

It's good to know Camellia will eat it plain. Not that I want her specifically to need it! haha!

Back to Mildred, I know she is doing well because of the great care you give her, Eileen. You surely have been through a lot of hoops with Mildred - is that Hoop-la? or Hoop-lala?

Love, hugs, licks and wags,

Fri, 17 Sep 2010 21:15:17 (PDT)

eileen
09-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Thanks Carol, Mildred's thrilled too I guess that she finally (after..gosh...2 years as a member) has her own thread..."about time" she says!

Glad that Camillia is learning to like yogurt....Mil savors hers for last. She eats around the area that it is spread over and then eats it as dessert ;-)

I can imagine how much joy Camillia is giving you, and you her...with both of you learning to adjust to each other.
What a lucky gal she is!

hugs back

eileen
11-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Mildred has been bothered with ear infections in her right ear since she was diagnosed with diabetes.

Another snuck up on us and hit like a ton of bricks over night. I took her to her vet this afternoon at which point this time he said it was so bad he needed to put her on stronger medications with one cream having steroids.

The two meds are Ketoconazole tabs and Tri-Otic Ointment.

He also said that he wants me to take chicken out of her diet and substitute white fish or rabbit. Mildred will not eat white fish so I am in search of rabbit. I've stopped by several meat markets but to no avail....any suggestions on where to find rabbit will be appreciated.

I've not yet looked at the nutritional values in rabbit so any input on this too will be appreciated as much.

Thanks in advance!

Also found it interesting that her bgs have not been affected by this chronic infection, they've been better than ever which is probably why I missed the onset of this ear infection as in the past her bgs have always soared.

Patty
11-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Awe Eileen, I'm so sorry. Ear infections are the pits. :(

Kathy posted back in Aug '08 on Gentamicin http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=994

I know we've used Panalog on Ali when she was in severe pain/swelling.

I know when I looked into rabbit for Ali it's not recommended for long term use, more as a rotational diet. I'll have to find that info.

Does he want you to completely switch from bird species? Like turkey or pheasant?

Good news on the bgs.

eileen
11-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks for your reply Patty.

Vet wants to get her away from chicken because he wants to see if she could have developed allergies to it....forgive my ignorance but would that include turkey or pheasant?

He mentioned he wanted her switched to rabbit or white fish for a period of 6 weeks, he didn't mention the reasons, maybe because of what you say...not for long term use.

I'll take a look at the link...thanks!

k9diabetes
11-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Are lamb and duck too high in fat content to be considered?

You might have some luck with these folks...
http://www.thewholedog.org/meatsuppliers.html

That list has a Southern California BARF Coop (I do hate that acronym...)

You can also order rabbit meat online - expensive of course.

http://www.gourmetwildgame.com/category/rabbit.html?gclid=CNz9u-Kri6UCFR9NgwodRQF6Lg

This list is old but might help.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/388503

Maybe if you get in touch with a "local food" type group they might be able to direct you to a supplier.

Natalie

eileen
11-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the links Natalie. Taking a look at the price of rabbit there is just no way I can afford to feed her that for 6 weeks with prices that high.

Substituting 4oz per meal, that being 8oz a day I would go broke very quickly.

I'm going to have to find an alternative....I don't know about lamb or duck altho with her high cholesterol and triglycerides leading to her stroke earlier this year fat content is an ongoing concern.

Thanks again...this will give me something to think about as I drift off to sleep.

k9diabetes
11-05-2010, 09:45 PM
If she has never eaten much beef, that's another you could try and just get very lean meat. Some of the meat sold from places like Harris Ranch is so lean it doesn't have any flavor! ;) so it must be healthy!

Gus, my IBD cat, has been on lamb and venison and his last kibble was a soy protein. Not politically correct but definitely a novel feline protein!

Now, he's getting half soy protein food and half Nature's Variety Prairie Homestyle canned food, which comes in beef and lamb, and he seems to be doing okay with that. Natural Balance makes limited ingredient canned and dry food diets that come in rabbit and venison and I think Duck. I couldn't get Gus to eat them routinely but they would have been great for him because they not only have novel proteins but very few different ingredients so limit potential allergens.

Do you think she would eat prepared food like Natural Balance or the Prairie Homestyle, which looks like stew with gravy and chunks?

Natalie

Patty
11-06-2010, 06:12 AM
Venison is a good idea, even bison is leaner. I would opt for those over lamb or duck with her triglyceride concerns.

eileen
11-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Well, I decided to try white fish again as it is easily obtainable and affordable.
To my surprise she has (so far) accepted it in place of her chicken with continuing to gobble down her meals.

Now being on the third day of both medication as well as fish her bgs have dropped with fastings near or under 100. I've dropped her insulin back to bring these up as I much prefer them closer to 130-150 to allow for her insulin peak in midafternoon.

In all of her 6 years as being a diabetic her numbers have never been as good as they have been in the last 6-8 months.
It has always been a struggle to keep her in an acceptable range. I like to share this with others so they can know that our dogs can be alright even when their numbers are not perfect and falling in line every single day.
Mildred was far from it and is a happy, youthful, 'going on 12' year old pup who just happens to have diabetes and hypothyroidism.

k9diabetes
11-10-2010, 09:01 AM
That's great that she's eating the whitefish! :)

Apparently she doesn't realize it's the least amount of work/expense. ;) Our diabetic dog could smell - and reject - the bargain brand, usually meds, every time. Plain cheap Cephalexin and he'd throw up. Really really expensive Simplicef, the fancy Cephalexin - perfect!

Natalie

eileen
11-10-2010, 09:14 AM
That's great that she's eating the whitefish! :)

Apparently she doesn't realize it's the least amount of work/expense. ;) Our diabetic dog could smell - and reject - the bargain brand, usually meds, every time. Plain cheap Cephalexin and he'd throw up. Really really expensive Simplicef, the fancy Cephalexin - perfect!

Natalie

ssshhhh....and let's not tell her ;-)

The only time I ever had a problem with the cheaper version of 'things' was with a generic thyroid medication. It was a ' $4.00' prescription med from Target that just didn't work for her.

Patty
11-10-2010, 10:48 AM
That's great to hear Eileen! How's the ear doing?

eileen
11-10-2010, 12:06 PM
No longer red and warm so the inflamation is gone, I assume.
It's still 'gunky' tho and has that foul odor but she's no longer shaking her head....
soooo, coming along just fine Patty!, thanks for asking.

Patty
11-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Good to hear. Ear infections are no picnic!

Noodle
11-11-2010, 07:57 PM
So happy to hear Mildred's ear infection is clearing up and the fish based food is working out. :)

eileen
11-11-2010, 08:54 PM
So happy to hear Mildred's ear infection is clearing up and the fish based food is working out. :)

Thanks on both accounts!
Can't tell you how relieved I am that she has forgotten she doesn't like fish ;-)

Boy, it sure is dropping her bgs tho...a 126 fasting this morning and an 81 this evening. Back on chicken and before her infection 'normal' fastings were around 200.

eileen
11-14-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm looking for a discussion that took place some time ago on which types of foods to add, such as protein, fiber, ect., in relation to where the bgs may be dropping during the day.

Since replacing the chicken portion of Mil's meals with white fish her numbers have dropped significantly (too low) while even reducing her insulin by as much as 1.5-2u at each injection.

Her whole range including fastings are right at 100 with dropping under...I'm feeding the lows without causing much of an increase but want to bring them up on their own by diet.

She's 22.7 pounds and has dropped from 6u down to 4-5u with the change to fish.

Altho she is being treated for the ear infection it never showed an increase with her glucose levels so I can't see that to be the cause of the big drop.

Could it be that for nearly a year she was allergic to chicken and now with this change it is clearing from her system?

Thanks for any feedback!

k9diabetes
11-14-2010, 04:56 PM
It's often possible to "feed" low blood sugar if it's occurring in the first couple of hours by replacing some of the fiber and or protein with a readily digestible carb like oatmeal or rice.

It's hard to predict what will work. Oatmeal is a great example - the fiber works to slow digestion for some dogs but shoots the blood sugar up immediately, sometimes sky high, in others.

If the lows are occurring a lot later, the meal composition may not be able to be adjusted to last that long and a mid-day meal is the only way.

Protein *should be* somewhat slow to be digested and provide more even blood sugar. I try to eat protein at every single meal to avoid hypoglycemia.

Simple carbs should be somewhat quick and the simpler they are, the faster they get going. Since dogs don't chew, I don't know if it works in dogs! But you can chew a saltine cracker and you will notice a slightly sweet taste because it's so digestible that just chewing it starts to break it down into sugar.

A more complex carb like pasta should be more intermediate.

Fiber is used to slow down the digestion of the food so would be tried to fill a low later in the curve at 5-7 hours maybe.

Pat is currently trying Bailey on 1 tablespoon of oatmeal to try to cut off blood sugar early - he gets an injection around 7am I think and his blood sugar immediately starts dropping. Too early to tell yet whether it's working. The readings I saw from the first day looked good but he can be a little unpredictable, throwing a high day now and then.

So when are Mildred's lows occurring?

Natalie

eileen
11-15-2010, 06:20 AM
As always, thanks so much Natalie.

Mildred's lows are occuring mid to late afternoon, usually within the timeframe before her evening meal.

I think I am going to try feeding that third meal, at 12 to 1 o'clock.

Now this leads to another question...

Do I divide her 2 meals equally into 3 now or do I keep her meals the same with adding.....what?

Thanks!!

Patty
11-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Eileen,
This is an issue I've had with Ali over the years, which is why I had to divide her meals.

If Mil is holding steady weight-wise and you're wanting to feed an afternoon meal, I'd divide the meals (adding a meal will increase her calories). But then you'll need to reduce insulin as well.

You might be able to get by with adding something to her morning meal that will be digested slower. I exhausted these possibilities first with Ali. Brown rice (unenriched) might be an option. Boiled sweet potato, pumpkin, and unenriched whole wheat pasta (I know Joan uses penne with Bella) are others.

If you prefer to add the afternoon meal, you won't need to look at something slower to digest but something more readily available. You might even get by with just dividing the meals. Foods more readily available are unenriched white rice, for Ali oatmeal cause a fast spike - others keeps them quite steady. I use cooked green lentils now due to allergies to other foods with Ali, but I told Heidi when she was changing things up with Chloe that I prefer white rice as the starch value isn't quite as sensitive in cooking from batch to batch as the lentils.

Is Mildred doing ok overnight?

Patty

eileen
11-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Patty,

Let me list for you what Mildred is currently eating (per meal);

4oz tilapia
4oz pearled barley
2oz pumpkin
2oz broccoli
1 tbsp. plain lowfat yogurt
(of course supplements too)

All of this pureed as she will not eat 'chunky' food.

At last weigh she had dropped from 24 to 22.5 pounds altho a different scale was used as the exam room where I normally weigh her was tied up. I don't see the loss in her but who knows. I'll take her this week and weigh her on the 'same' scale just to see.
I'm there twice a week anyway with my crf kitty.

Her numbers yesterday which were fed into so can't take them as being 'true'.

5:45 fasting ~ 115, fed, 5u Novolin N
12:30 ~ 90
1:30 ~ 69, fed small piece of graham cracker/turkey bite
5:30 ~ 77, fed, 4.5u Novolin N
10:30 ~ 432....assuming rebound, did not recheck as altho she co operates with testing she is tiring of it and it wouldn't have changed anything anyway.

this morning...

5:30 fasting ~ 146, fed, 5u Novolin N
9:20 ~ 377

14 day 'average' on Alpha Trak...170

Before I replaced the chicken with fish her overnights were fine. I haven't checked since all of this recent change.

I'll give thought to what you suggested and 'play' with the different options.

I appreciate all of the time and effort that goes into your posts, thank you.

Patty
11-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Hmm...I need to feed Ali so let me get back to you. The fact that her food is pureed probably creates faster digestion and you'll have to look at a mid day meal.

So she went from 432 at 10:30 last night to 146 this morning? That's a long overnight drop.

back later,
Patty

Patty
11-15-2010, 10:48 AM
Let me list for you what Mildred is currently eating (per meal);

4oz tilapia
4oz pearled barley
2oz pumpkin
2oz broccoli
1 tbsp. plain lowfat yogurt
(of course supplements too)

All of this pureed as she will not eat 'chunky' food.

I looked up the caloric difference between the chicken and tilapia - as close as I could get anyway (be sure serving size is on 1oz).

Chicken http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/703/2
Tilapia http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/9244/2

The difference is about:
184 cal for 4oz chicken
144 cal for 4oz tilapia

You could increase her fish to 5oz for 180 cal.

The pearled barley and brown rice are essentially the same in carb and calories. And if you're pureeing them, I don't see a benefit in switching really.
Barley http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5680/2
Brown rice http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5710/2

There are a bit more carbs in boiled sweet potato than canned pumpkin though. I'm not sure if it's enough to be worth switching.
Pumpkin http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2602/2
Sweet potato http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2668/2

Forgive me Eileen as I'm just typing as I'm thinking and looking things up ;) I think I'd increase her fish 1st. Then look at maybe switching some things out or dividing the meals. If she has lost some weight, adding a small meal mid day of what you're already feeding might be perfect or you may look at switching to a little bit of white rice. She may also need a bit smaller meal before bed if she's coming down pretty far.

Patty

eileen
12-14-2010, 07:34 AM
Patty,

A long, long overdue thank-you is in order. I'm actually ashamed for letting so much time lapse.

As I read your mention of adding another ounce of fish to her meals I realized I knew I should be doing that as I knew there was a caloric difference of about 25 calories...but then when I 'got cook'n' it slipped my mind as old habits had me weighing 4 ounces of chicken.

I added the extra ounce of fish and it seems to have straightened out the extreme lows in midafternoon.

Her morning and evening fastings are usually around 100-120 with a slight mountainous curve during the day.

Switching to fish does not seem to have fixed her allergy issues as now about 2 weeks after stopping medication and still eating fish her ears are once again smelling foul and with her body itching something awful.

In reading the current thread on allergies and lentils I'm wondering if maybe it is the barley she is allergic to and not the chicken.

I started her back on Ketoconazole this morning with the ointment in her ears.

Any thoughts you or anyone might have on this would be so appreciated!

Patty
12-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Barley can be a definite red flag. I think I'd look into switching it out with something nutritionally similar. I'd look for something without a lot of gluten. www.nutritiondata.com (http://www.nutritiondata.com) is where I go to look for the inflammatory factor.

I totally understand the insane itchy miserable time she's having...or rather I should say Ali understands :rolleyes:. I wonder if adding some Benadryl to her regimen for a while might help her get some relief.

eileen
12-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Thanks Patty!

I gave her Benadryl last night to give her some relief, will give more now. Altho her bgs are not being affected she has begun panting and rolling on the floor with rubbing under coffee tables.

The nutritional aspect of this is not something I have really ever gotten a grasp on.
I use the link you sent but can be lost in putting it all together.

Would you mind too terribly much in helping me with the switch from barley....would lentils be a good replacement to try?

Current diet (per meal):

~ 5oz tilapia
~ 2oz pumpkin
~ 2oz pureed broccoli
~ 4oz barley
~ 1 tbsp. plain yogurt

At last vet appt. he said her body weight looked good, I think she is too skinny...I suppose he is right tho.
I'm going to stop by her vet today to get a current weight on her, she was at 21 pounds, probably still is.

Thank-you!!

Patty
12-14-2010, 09:55 AM
I don't mind Eileen. I'm going to throw a bunch of links at you though to compare...:D

I've left all serving sizes as 1c on these links to compare apples to apples so to speak.

Barley, cooked, pearled: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5680/2
Calories 193
Carb 44g
Fiber 6g
Protein 4g

Glycemic index 19
Inflammatory factor -127 moderate
Phosphorus 84.8mg (this is a nutrient to monitor for kidney issues)

Cooked lentils (unspecified) on nutritiondata: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4338/2
Calories 230
Carb 40
Fiber 16
Protein 18
GI 13
IF -15 mild
Phos 356mg
Now my bag of Arrowhead Mills lentils is quite different and lists serving size as 1/4c http://www.arrowheadmills.com/product/green-lentils

Rice, white, medium grain, cooked
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5718/2
Calories 242
Carb 53
Fiber 1
Prot 4
GI 29
IF -189 Moderate
Phos 68.8mg

Quinoa, cooked
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/10352/2
Calories 222
Carb 39
Fiber 5
Prot 8
GI 18
IF NA (I'm not sure why the inflammatory factor isn't listed. Quinoa does have a low gluten content though. It is usually listed low the the allergic grain list)
Phos 281 It does have a higher phosphorus content but then so do lentils. I'd just watch kidney function remains within normal values and you'd be using so little of it.

Honestly Eileen, I think the Quinoa is the closest match here and I think I'd try it. I actually bought some when I was working through carbs with Ali but never tried it because the white rice worked for a time for us. It is carby but so is your barley and you're wanting to keep the balance you have.
You want to rinse it well before you cook it.
Here's some additional info on it: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid=142&tname=foodspice

http://www.healthline.com/blogs/diet_nutrition/labels/whole%20grains.html

What do you think?
Patty

eileen
12-14-2010, 10:55 AM
What do I think?.....I think this information is tremendously helpful, and you, a sweetie for laying it all out so clearly for me.
I don't take help like this lightly as I know alot of work and thought goes into your posts.
I am so grateful!

I will go the Quinoa route if this is your recommendation as I do want to keep the balance close since I'll be switching to Humulin next week. After that and after giving it time if I need to do something different I will.

I will read the links in depth this evening when I am not bothered by work (ha).

Thank you again so very much.

I'll give an update in a few days.

Patty
12-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Keep us posted on how it goes. The quinoa seems to have a few more calories but just slightly less carb and fiber so you might be able to just make the same 4oz work. Might take some playing around with.

I really hope it works! I know the pain of trying 50 things that don't work before finding one that does. :o

And, I remember being on your end and having Carla teach me enough to try to match Ali's needs.

Good luck!
Patty

eileen
12-14-2010, 12:21 PM
When dealing with possible food allergies and if this turns out to be the case with Mildred, how long is it typically before a change can be seen once that food is no longer being ingested?

Thanks!

Patty
12-14-2010, 12:37 PM
I had a holistic vet tell me 28 or 32 days to clear the system...I can't remember which but basically a month.

eileen
12-14-2010, 01:00 PM
aw ha, thanks.

I'm sorry you have dealt with these allergy issues with Ali but am so thankful for what you can share from your experience and research.

Now sits about 2 weeks worth of frozen fish/barley meals alongside the same number of frozen chicken meals.....guess I'll have to start pulling them out and eating them myself ;-)......or feed them to my other dogs, what a treat for them.

About 15 years ago I found a dog that was in horrible shape just lying in the gutter, turned out to be allergy issues. Took her to UC Davis where a battery of tests were run and special injections were made up to counter the allergens.
As I recall she was allergic to alot of various things.
This in the day before computers were in most every household and I still at a young age where I did not really pursue anything other than to do as I was told by a vet.

The Benadryl has calmed Mildred down and she is sleeping. When I asked her to go to the store with me (which means to go out) she did not so I didn't force the issue, so no weigh-in today.

eileen
12-14-2010, 03:35 PM
I want to preface this with saying that I am not one to take much of what I read at face value without hard evidence that it can help and is safe.

Awhile back there was a discussion on another canine group about the tarter build up on our dog's teeth.
Several members said that they had used a product called, LEBA 111 and that they did see some positive results.

http://lebalab.com/

Since Mildred is in desperate need of a dental that I can not afford to give her (vet's estimate $500-$600) I am wondering if anyone here has tried this product, and if so were there any positive findings.

Mildred has eaten nothing but soft food for years so does have an enormous amount of tarter on her teeth. I know that there is probably really nothing short of a dental which unfortunately can not be in her future that can be of any help but if there is even the slightest chance of an improvement of any amount with this product and if it is safe then it is something I would be wanting to try.

I guess what I'm thinking is that a little help is better than the state her teeth are currently in.

I know I'm probably grasping at straws but am wondering if anyone can offer input...

Thanks!

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom
12-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Wow - interesting product! I'll be curious to hear if anyone here has tried it!

buddingartist
12-14-2010, 04:05 PM
28 to 32 days sounds just about right.

Once I took Buddy off corn, wheat, rice, grain foods, etc, etc., it took a little over 1 month before the sores on his paws cleared up.

Louise

eileen
12-14-2010, 04:11 PM
28 to 32 days sounds just about right.

Once I took Buddy off corn, wheat, rice, grain foods, etc, etc., it took a little over 1 month before the sores on his paws cleared up.

Louise

Thanks Louise....guess it'll be one l-o-n-g month waiting for an indication that this might be just what she needed.

eileen
12-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Wow - interesting product! I'll be curious to hear if anyone here has tried it!

That's for sure!

My vet tech SIL whose specialty is dentals said that she had heard of some within her 'show dog group' talk of using it with noticeable results.

Hope others chime in...

buddingartist
12-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Eileen, his infections were pretty nasty. I had to soak his paws, disinfect and treat them. I have a whole assortment of creams, sprays, ointments. I just posted pics of what his paws looked like when he had them. Notice the bootie on one paw, he had to sleep with them and occasionally he had to wear them all day cause he was licking so much.

I will be interested in seeing if you get any response to your question about LEBA. I will never send either Buddy or Cleo for another dental. Buddy's gums are really bad however, he started declining right after the dental cleaning. Mind you, he had been through a lot before that.

Louise

eileen
12-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Eileen, his infections were pretty nasty. I had to soak his paws, disinfect and treat them. I have a whole assortment of creams, sprays, ointments. I just posted pics of what his paws looked like when he had them. Notice the bootie on one paw, he had to sleep with them and occasionally he had to wear them all day cause he was licking so much.

I will be interested in seeing if you get any response to your question about LEBA. I will never send either Buddy or Cleo for another dental. Buddy's gums are really bad however, he started declining right after the dental cleaning. Mind you, he had been through a lot before that.

Louise

Those ARE pretty awful looking. He's a cutie hiding in the bushes.

Wondering what the other pics are of 'plastic thingy for bg testing'?

buddingartist
12-14-2010, 04:38 PM
That is what I use to get the blood to bead up to a big enough sample for me to test. I prick with the lancet and the blood can be a minute little thing, I center this clear plastic thing on the blood bead and push (sometimes up to 40 times). That is the only way I can get blood.

CarolW
12-14-2010, 05:06 PM
Best of luck with Mildred and her diet, Eileen. I agree; the help here is fabulous.

And you - well, you are a truly GREAT dog-Mum (human one, of course), as well as cat-Mum (ditto). Mildred, though, is the one I know best - I love that Mildred! Hope she's getting nice naps with the Benadryl! (ha!)

I'll be watching for your updates.

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:06:17 (PST)

eileen
12-14-2010, 05:18 PM
That is what I use to get the blood to bead up to a big enough sample for me to test. I prick with the lancet and the blood can be a minute little thing, I center this clear plastic thing on the blood bead and push (sometimes up to 40 times). That is the only way I can get blood.

hmmmm...I see.

Years ago when I started out with testing using Mil's ear I couldn't get enough blood so found a lancing device called the Vaculance.
As the name suggests it acts as a vacuum and pulls the blood to the surface. It is a lancing device and 'vacuum' all in one.
I had success with it until I discovered her lip where I've been drawing blood for the past 5 or so years...oodles of blood and able to use the lancet without any device.
Here's what I used before. I had my pharmacy order it for me, then it cost about $20.00. I've seen it online for $60.00 but that is ridiculous as it couldn't have gone up that much in price.

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_06_2aa.htm

eileen
12-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Best of luck with Mildred and her diet, Eileen. I agree; the help here is fabulous.

And you - well, you are a truly GREAT dog-Mum (human one, of course), as well as cat-Mum (ditto). Mildred, though, is the one I know best - I love that Mildred! Hope she's getting nice naps with the Benadryl! (ha!)

I'll be watching for your updates.

Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:06:17 (PST)

Thanks Carol.

Mil is definately enjoying 'slumberland' this afternoon. I feel a bit like a 'bad' mom...'liquor-ing' up her child to keep her knocked out.

hugs

Patty
12-14-2010, 08:54 PM
LOL...I often joke that Benadryl works to alleviate Ali's itching for exactly that reason...it knocks her out ;).

On the LEBA, I asked a couple of people and was given some links to the k9nutrition group where 2 people there didn't have much improvement. One had been using it for a year. The LEBA site talks about changing the chemistry of the mouth which might be concerning? I don't know Eileen. What have you used in the past?

I've been using Vetzlife (same as Petzlife) with Ali lately.
Patty

eileen
12-14-2010, 09:27 PM
LOL...I often joke that Benadryl works to alleviate Ali's itching for exactly that reason...it knocks her out ;).

On the LEBA, I asked a couple of people and was given some links to the k9nutrition group where 2 people there didn't have much improvement. One had been using it for a year. The LEBA site talks about changing the chemistry of the mouth which might be concerning? I don't know Eileen. What have you used in the past?

I've been using Vetzlife (same as Petzlife) with Ali lately.
Patty

HA, yea, it's a relief to both her and myself not to have to have her go thru this continuous itching....better to have her sleeping thru it.

When she was a pup I tried brushing her teeth but she put up such a fight that I let it go. As time went on she absolutely hated, with the exception of me pricking her lip (go figure) for her mouth to be touched.
And then I didn't do anything around her mouth so not to turn her away from letting me test her as often as I do.

I really appreciate your looking into this LEBA product a bit further.

I just looked up Vetzlife, gosh, if you're using it with Ali with no effect on her bgs maybe it is something I will try for Mildred.

What is your source for this product?

As always, thanks for your input.

Patty
12-15-2010, 06:02 AM
Eileen,
I got it from a vet in IL I'd been going to in '08. I'm just now needing another bottle and will have to look online for the Petzlife because so far I haven't found anyone who carries it. I think it comes in a spray as well as a gel so you might not have to "brush."

I resisted using it at first due to the grain alcohol in it. I tried Maxi-guard oral cleansing gel but she HATED it. It didn't have a taste but it stimulated the saliva glands and I think she didn't like the way it felt.

I actually get a little drop in bg with this sometimes. Whether its from an ingredient or the fact that brushing is not her idea of fun I'm not sure. I'm pretty quick about it. I use the mint flavor which smells good to me but I think she'd prefer the salmon flavor.

Ali doesn't have a lot of tarter so I can't say how well it does on a significant amount but she gets an orange stain on her canines sometimes if I didn't get her lip stick area wiped/stopped bleeding well. The enzyme action takes that off fairly well.

The natural pet store owner where I get Ali's food stopped carrying the Petzlife and likes another oxy-type brand. I didn't catch the name because my husband had stopped for me that day. You might google oxy oral cleansing products and see what you come up with there as well.
Patty

eileen
12-15-2010, 06:22 AM
Thanks Patty!

When I did a real quick search on it last night I saw that entirelypets carry it, out of stock on the larger (4.5, I believe) size but have the smaller 2.something size available.

I have to place an order today with them (before the real Christmas rush) for Mil's Epakitin as well as some flea control (they're having a BIG sale on flea products)...so I might just go ahead and order this as well.
As a long standing customer I got a notice of extra savings on top of their already slashed prices.

I'll also google the other before settling on anything.

On another note....when I woke up at 4:00 to let Mil out to pee she just stood up from her bed on the floor next to mine...just staring at the floor and not following me.
I quickly checked her bg, she was at a very low 38 (Alpha Trak)...gave her a piece of bread with a dab of karo, fed her early and reduced her insulin by a half unit.

Thanks again for the info on the toothy stuff.

Patty
12-15-2010, 09:41 AM
Yikes Eileen. Glad you caught the low.

k9diabetes
12-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Could be it's not food... any evidence of seasonal, such as molds or mildew in the winter?

Chris was allergic to barley and soy. Not violently but enough that we avoided that.

It's odd. Chris diabetes started after he was given Temaril-P for an attack of what was considered to be allergies. He was scratching his ears off at the time. But after that, he never had another attack like that. We used a little fish oil but he also eventually started on Metacam for arthritis type inflammation and perhaps that's what kept any allergy attacks from being obvious.

I just know he never had another ear attack episode after that and his diet didn't change significantly when he went to WD.

Hope Mildred is feeling better.

Natalie

eileen
12-27-2010, 07:39 AM
I believe Mildred is developing hearing loss to some extent. In the past week or so her attentiveness to me has appeared to deminish as she has always obeyed extremely well.
She now acts as tho she is not completely hearing what I say. If I stand a few feet away from her and talk she doesn't respond as if I have said a thing, not even to acknowledge that she knows of my presence if I come up on a blind side.

Any thoughts will be so appreciated. If this is the case then I am so thankful that she did regain her sight with cataract surgery back in 2005.

After eating a few meals with quinoa she began refusing food. I went back to barley which then had her eating regularly again. Her allergies seem to have deminished once the heavy rains began here in California....I just don't know what caused her to be so uncomfortable. Maybe just seasonal allergies as you say Natalie.
I'm debating whether to switch the talapia back to chicken in a few days when it comes time to prepare her packaged meals.

Patty, I have printed out all of the great helpful info you provided to me and have added it to Mil's records for future referrence should the need occur.

Mildred received her first injection of Humulin N with this mornings meal, finally making that switch. Hope all continues smoothly with her bgs in a good range.

Patty
12-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Is she still on an ear med with gentamicin?

Interesting she wasn't a fan of the quinoa. Glad the allergies seemed to have calmed with the rain though!

CarolW
12-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Patty - good question about the gentamycin.

Eileen - My understanding is that it's common for dogs' hearing to start changing around the age of 7. I got lucky with Kwali and Kumbi, who retained good hearing all their lives.

Hope Mildred doesn't lose too much hearing. Good luck with her, altogether! I'm so glad you're reporting; I always like news of you and Mildred.

Mon, 27 Dec 2010 17:15:25 (PST)

MaryLea
12-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Eileen, we noticed the same about Ruffles several years ago. The biggest problem was getting her to come inside after going out to do her business. She liked to sniff around the yard, etc.

We purchased a coach's (or a referee's) whistle in the athletic dep't. of a store. It was shrill enough that she could hear it, and we always gave her a treat for coming. Only problem that created was she expected the treat!

It was worth it to not have to force her to come in. (Wonder how often she pretended not to hear us so we'd use the whistle?) :D

Mary

k9diabetes
12-27-2010, 09:00 PM
My first thought is the ear medications also as they can cause deafness. If she is getting any rinses or other medications in her ears, I would stop them immediately as damage from the meds can sometimes heal up some and hearing partially restored if that is what caused it.

Perhaps she was bitten by something like a spider and it has now healed...? It's hard to know with seasonal stuff but molds and fungus seem like distinct possibilities. We have had a huge crop of mushrooms this fall.

Natalie

Patty
01-21-2011, 10:06 AM
How's Mil doing Eileen?

Patty
02-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Thought I'd bring this back up. Was wondering how Mildred was doing with her ears. And how did you like the Petzlife?

Patty :)

eileen
02-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi Patty,

Mildred's ears seem to be fine...I don't know if the apparent hearing loss was a result of the medication she was using at the time or just my imagination....maybe even selective hearing on her part.

The beginning of January her bgs went crazy, I couln't get a handle on them so took her in for blood work.
There were a few abnormalities which vet wants to recheck in 3 months.
I don't have the results in front of me right now but would like to post them at a later time to get some input.

Her triglycerides were up again, just under 700 (altho a far cry from the 6330 over a year ago) so am back to white fish. For a period before the tests I had gone back to chicken.Will recheck this in 3-4 weeks.

Her glucose levels are pretty stable but of course with those odd unexplainable numbers thrown in now and then.

Overall her vet says that she is in great shape for an 11 year old that has been diabetic for over 6 years, more than half her life.

I never did get the Petzlife....in all honesty I forgot with the other pressing issues. Thanks for the reminder as it is something I do want to try.
Is Ali still using it?

Patty
02-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Good to hear an update on her. Let us know how her triglycerides come out on the retest.

Glad her ears are doing well. I think they do know about selective hearing, Eileen ;)

I am still using the Petzlife gel with Ali. I use it maybe 2-3 times a week but not everyday. Her bg can go down with it. But again, that may be due to the fact that teeth brushing isn't her favorite activity, lol.

Take care,
Patty

eileen
03-16-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm starting a new thread because I can't seem to find her past thread (call me stupid).

For the past month or so Mildred's blood sugar has taken a turn for the worse, jumping from one extreme to the next.

Last week she began displaying odd behavior, she's lost interest in going for a ride as well as playing with her toys.
In the evenings she seems to pace, going from one room to the next. Her panting is continual as well as her constant need to urinate.
She's been checked for a UTI and is clear.

Yesterday morning I took her for a fasting triglyceride check. Result this morning shows her high at 510 with a referrence range of 25-120.
Altho not nearly as bad as she was back in 2009 with a level of 6300 which caused a stroke.

Her vet is in surgery all day today but has a scheduled consultation tomorrow morning with an Internist so will call me after that.

Her diet consists of whitefish, barley, pumpkin and broccoli...all healthy foods.

Any thoughts on why the high triglyceride levels (again) when she eats very healthy.
Are there underlying issues that can cause this?

Thanks in advance!

jesse girl
03-16-2011, 01:02 PM
those symptoms sound like prolonged high sugar in her system my jesse will get anxious at lower levels but no panting and urination . whatever is going on her body is under stress as you know.

Patty
03-16-2011, 01:15 PM
When's the last time her thyroid was checked Eileen? Are her levels still therapeutic?
How are her liver values?

k9diabetes
03-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Cushing's disease is another source of high triglycerides.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/endocrine/c_multi_hyperlipidemia

And there are definitely some breed predispositions, like mini Schnauzers.

I wonder if she might have a little pancreatitis. They should probably run the blood test for that.

Natalie

Patty
03-16-2011, 01:28 PM
This is an interesting page: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/endocrine/c_multi_hyperlipidemia

Certain diseases like diabetes mellitus and hypothyroidism can decrease the enzyme lipoprotein lipase (LPL), which is responsible for dissolving lipids. Diabetes mellitus, obesity, and hyperadrenocorticism can affect the liver in such a way that the liver produces more very-low-density lipoprotein (VLDL), resulting in increased lipid levels in the blood. Other diseases, like nephrotic syndrome, cause the liver to increase production of cholesterol. Conversely, if the liver itself is diseased, it may not be able to excrete cholesterol at all. Hyperlipidemia can also be the result of an inherited disease in certain breeds of dogs.

Causes

Increased absorption of triglycerides/cholesterol:

After eating, especially after a fatty meal

Increased production of triglycerides/cholesterol:

Nephrotic syndrome (degenerative kidney disease

Decreased clearance of triglycerides/cholesterol:

Under-functioning thyroid gland
Over-functioning adrenal gland
Diabetes mellitus
Inflammation of the pancreas
Obstruction of the bile ducts (cholestasis)

Pregnancy
Defects in lipid clearance enzymes, or lipid carrier proteins
Inherited

eileen
03-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Patty,

Thanks for combining her thread.

Her last blood panel was 1/12/11 with the following HI/LOW indications:

Globulin 3.8 H ~ reference range, 1.6-3.6
Alkaline Phosphate 211 H ~ rr, 5-131
BUN 43 H ~ rr, 6-31
BUN/Creatinine ratio 54 H ~ rr 4-27
Amylase 271 LOW ~ rr, 290-1125
RBC 4-10 H ~ rr, 0-3

T-4 1.8 ~ reference range, 1.0-4.0

Thoughts?

eileen
03-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Cushing's disease is another source of high triglycerides.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/endocrine/c_multi_hyperlipidemia

And there are definitely some breed predispositions, like mini Schnauzers.

I wonder if she might have a little pancreatitis. They should probably run the blood test for that.

Natalie

Thanks Natalie, Vet did mention on Monday about maybe running a test for Atypical Cushings.

Will ask him about pancreatitis test tomorrow when we speak, she's never had pancreatitis before.

Will take a look at the link, thank you.

eileen
03-16-2011, 01:45 PM
those symptoms sound like prolonged high sugar in her system my jesse will get anxious at lower levels but no panting and urination . whatever is going on her body is under stress as you know.

Thanks for your thoughts...she has also been spilling ketones with higher glucose which I'm treating by encouraging drinking as well as using Humalog to try and keep her sugar levels down.
NPH just doesn't seem to be touching her, at least not in a noticeable amount.

jesse girl
03-16-2011, 02:53 PM
have you tried r i have used it for jesse at times much stronger than n and it gives her about 4 to 6 hour duration. never tried humalog . definitely thought of using before do you need a prescription . it really can be tough at times hope things get better

eileen
03-16-2011, 03:58 PM
have you tried r i have used it for jesse at times much stronger than n and it gives her about 4 to 6 hour duration. never tried humalog . definitely thought of using before do you need a prescription . it really can be tough at times hope things get better

I have used R in the past along with NPH but have found that for Mildred it lasted too long in her system with creating insulin overlap.

With Humalog it is in and out of her system in 4-5 hours.
Humalog does require a script and is rather expensive. I pay $118.00 at Costco altho it does last for a few months.

CarolW
03-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Rooting for you and Mildred, Eileen. Do keep us posted!

Hugs,
Wed, 16 Mar 2011 18:32:41 (PDT)

Patty
03-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Her last blood panel was 1/12/11 with the following HI/LOW indications:

Globulin 3.8 H ~ reference range, 1.6-3.6
Alkaline Phosphate 211 H ~ rr, 5-131
BUN 43 H ~ rr, 6-31
BUN/Creatinine ratio 54 H ~ rr 4-27
Amylase 271 LOW ~ rr, 290-1125
RBC 4-10 H ~ rr, 0-3

T-4 1.8 ~ reference range, 1.0-4.0

Thoughts?

Hi Eileen,
I'm not much on interpreting lab results but had some good sites bookmarked:
http://www.drkaslow.com/html/general_lab_values.html

http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/BasicsofHealth/lab_result_meaning1.htm

http://www.k911.biz/Petsafety/MedicalTestResults.htm

How does doc think her kidneys are doing with the elevated BUN and BUN/Cr levels?

I know Brianne struggled with this with Kramer. You might search back through her threads or even try contacting her. She used a couple of drugs for a while in an attempt to lower Kramer's triglycerides.

I wish I was more help. I feel for you and Mil with her ketone levels popping up. :(

Please keep us posted,
Patty

eileen
03-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Hi Patty,

Talked to her vet on Friday after he discussed her case with an Internist.

Basically it led in the same direction as what was in the link that both you and Natalie provided earlier.

He does not think it is related to her diet as she is carefully fed but rather the suggestion by the Internist was GI bleeding, I believe he said IBD.
Or, Pancreatitis or Cushings, she has no signs of Cushings so we will likely take a look at her pancreas next week.

The Internist did suggest a med but recommended holding off with its use if we can as it is a serious medication. Didn't write the name down with everything else that was talked about.

Internist also suggested I might change protein sources to something she has never eaten...kangaroo was suggested.

For the time being I have her back on an all veggie diet altho this time with barley but no meat.
Of course her insulin needs have dropped.

She is acting better with her glucose level in a better range, not struggling with trace to small ketones as I was last week.

Vet was not concerned with her BUN level and said it was likely do to dehydration.

I'll check out the links and file them away for future reference.

Thanks so much for your post.

Patty
04-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Eileen,
How's Mildred doing lately?
Patty

eileen
04-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks for thinking of her Patty.

I'm taking her in early tomorrow morning for a fasting triglyceride test. Hopefully these past 3 weeks of veggies and barley will have gotten her level down again.

She does have a 5:30 apt this evening as she is scratching the heck out of herself. Has the end of her tail chewed down to being completely raw and oozing.

I ordered Senilife and will start her on that when it arrives this week. Her vet also suggested I add 200mg DHA.

Will keep you updated on her triglycerides when I know the result in a few days.

Patty
04-04-2011, 04:38 PM
I wonder if the chewing is diet related? Just a thought. I know dogs can be vegetarians but takes a bit to balance. I understand Mil's was temporary.

Really hope the test turns out well! :)
Patty

eileen
04-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Over the weekend I had noticed that the end of Mildred's tail was raw,
as if she had chewed the fur and skin off.

On my way to a vet apt this evening and as she jumped from the back seat into the front blood started spurting everywhere. I grabbed a towel and set her in it trying to drive yet trying to keep her sitting still.

Once I got to the vet I saw that the bleeding had not stopped with blood everywhere inside my car.

I grabbed her with the towel around her and ran into the office...blood still
spurting down my leg and all over the floor.

A tech ran out and grabbed Mildred from me and of course grabbing her tail
applying pressure which in my rush I had not done.

An hour later my vet came to me and said that she had chewed thru an artery in
her tail and that if I had not been with her she could have bled to death.
He had to sedate her and amputate the end of her tail, about an inch from the
end.

Now 2 hours past food and insulin time I checked her blood sugar and she was
only 120 which surprised me as right before I left my house she was 146....all
of this had not affected her glucose level with sending her high.

She has a serious skin infection so will be on an antibiotic for quite some
time. She is wearing a soft cone so she can not tear off the wrap that is around her tail.

I'll take her back on Thursday for her tail to be checked and the bandage
changed.

I'm so relieved with the timing of this as had I been gone or sound asleep it
could have had a horrible outcome.

jjefferjo
04-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Oh my Thank somebody you were present
Hugs and payers
Ed and Jj

k9diabetes
04-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Oh goodness, Eileen.... that must have been traumatic for both of you!

Is there anything more they can offer to tame her allergies?

Natalie

CarolW
04-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Gads, Eileen! Thank the gooD doG you were scooting in to the vet's!

Tails can be a really tough problem, so watch closely (as though you wouldn't!). Mildred's collar WILL prevent her from chewing the tail, will it?

Sending all powers we can muster for Mildred - and for you!

Mon, 4 Apr 2011 22:05:38 (PDT)

eileen
04-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Oh goodness, Eileen.... that must have been traumatic for both of you!

Is there anything more they can offer to tame her allergies?

Natalie

Well, he wants to see if the antibiotic has any effect, if so then he mentioned keeping her on it for an extended period of time.

I was reading the forum's past posts and I read of where you gave Chris vegetable oil when you were feeding W/D. The discussion was with lowfat diets the skin issues that can develop.

With Mildred having problems with her triglyceride levels she is on a very restricted low fat diet.

Would adding vegetable oil be adding to that issue or could it possibly help her?

Allergy issue were discussed on another group and a homeopathic doctor recommended using sulpher, taken internally.

We're going to put off rechecking her triglycerides until next week.

eileen
04-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Gads, Eileen! Thank the gooD doG you were scooting in to the vet's!

Tails can be a really tough problem, so watch closely (as though you wouldn't!). Mildred's collar WILL prevent her from chewing the tail, will it?

Sending all powers we can muster for Mildred - and for you!

Mon, 4 Apr 2011 22:05:38 (PDT)

Thanks Carol...it's a soft collar, I don't think she can reach her tail but I'm not going to take any chances so I'll sleep with her on the floor tonight.

eileen
04-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Oh my Thank somebody you were present
Hugs and payers
Ed and Jj

Mildred and I thank you Ed and Jj.

diggydog
04-05-2011, 01:09 AM
OMG Eileen!
So glad you were with her - I cant begin to imagine how scary that must have been for you both.
I hope she recovers well and the antibiotics help with her skin infection.
She is such a brave wee trooper!

Hugs xx
Allison

Patty
04-05-2011, 05:15 AM
Oh my goodness, Eileen! What a blessing you were on the way to the vet's!

As far as the vegetable oil and Mildred's trigylicerides. I would not add anything that had an Omega 6 since the body is usually out of proportion with 3:6's anyway. I'd look at adding something like fish oil - strictly Omega 3. And look for one that is free of contaminants. For comparison, this is the one I use with Ali: http://www.iherb.com/Carlson-Labs-Super-Omega-3-Gems-Fish-Oil-100-30-Free-Soft-Gels/2799?at=0

If I remember right, you're already giving her vit E I think? If not, here's a good link on dosing http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/vitamins-supplements/.

Patty

HarrysMom
04-05-2011, 06:49 AM
Eileen,
I am so glad that you caught this in time. Breathing a huge sigh of relief!

jjefferjo
04-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Eileen
I know about the floor thing (sleeping) I have been on an air mattress on the floor with Ed since his surgery
Take w/Mil and keep us posted

Margaret Boyle
04-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Eileen,

What a fright you must have got especially when the bleeding would not stop.:(

I do hope for a speedy recovery for Mildred give her a hug from me and Lucy.:)

Plenty of TLC.

Hugs

Margaret

Laurie
04-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Hi Eileen,

I'm new to the forum and know nothing about diabetes yet, but have struggled with high triglycerides for the past few years with Stewie.

I saw you mentioned supplements but I didn't see where you said exactly what. Are you using higher dosages of EPA/DHA found in fish oil?

At the risk of telling you something you already know:) I was giving a basic nutritional dose, but Stewie's specialist kept increasing the amount of EPA/DHA to what he called a therapeutic level versus the amount you would use as a supplement or for minor skin issues.

It was basically between 2 and 4 times the recommended dosage, based on the inflammatory process that was going on at that time. I don't understand the physiological mechanism, can't find a good article for you, and it was counter-intuitive to me that adding more oil, which seemed like higher fat, would actually bring his triglycerides down, but it did.

I didn't add it back in after his last pancreatitis/liver hospitalization. Now his triglycerides are climbing again. So I will have to add it back in gradually.

If you aren't already using it at higher levels, might be worth asking your vet about? Helps with any inflammation, so might help the skin issues too.

Sorry to hear about that tail--very scary.

Laurie

eileen
04-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks all who gave their well wishes for Mildred with her latest turn of events.

I'll take her back to her vet today for a check and a bandage change.

She seems to be doing well and could care less about half of her tail being wrapped.

I'll continue the antibiotic which does seem to be helping with her skin issues, the nibbling has stopped.

diggydog
04-08-2011, 03:53 AM
Hope the wound check went well and everything is healing nicely!

Glad she is not bothered by it being wrapped. Hope your getting over the shock of what happened as well - I am still shocked by it and I not only wasn't there she is not my dog lol

Allison

eileen
04-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Just a quick update on Mildred...

Unfortunately her tail was not healing as it should so she had to undergo another surgery yesterday to remove more dead tissue.
Her vet had to take off another small section at the end.

She was fitted with the most wonderful (as can be) collar. It is called a BiteNot collar which fits only around her neck which prevents her from reaching any part of her body so prevents her from chewing on herself.

**I would include a photo of her in the collar but I have no idea as to how to do that.
If you are interested in seeing this collar I was able to post several photos in Mildred's photo album (thanks Patty).

Good news today, since she had to be at her vet's early yesterday for her surgery I asked for a fasting triglyceride test to check her latest progress.
Report today came back with a reading of 74 with a reference range high of 150.This down from 700 just a month ago.

Patty
04-14-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm sorry she had to undergo another surgery Eileen. So glad her triglyceride levels are back down though!

CarolW
04-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Eileen - to post photos, go to the UserCP (near top of menu, top of page, left side) - choose, I think, Networking, Photos, and you can be prompted to upload your photos, there!

Yes, DO post photos! Mildred is SO beautiful!

Hugs,
Thu, 14 Apr 2011 19:26:26 (PDT)

k9diabetes
04-14-2011, 09:06 PM
I'm sorry to hear that Mildred's tail was not healing well and required additional surgery. And thrilled with the good news about her triglycerides! :)

If you have photos online anywhere like Flicker, you can use the Picture tool inside a message to post a photo here.

I have to go check your album now!

Natalie

eileen
04-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Today's vet recheck on her tail was not the good news I was hoping for following the second surgery on her tail this past Wednesday.

It appears the end is still not healing properly and her vet, "does not like what he is seeing". He says it is likely her diabetes is interfering with the healing process.
He wants to see her in another 5 days and will decide what the next step will need to be.

She appears to be in alot of discomfort with pacing and moaning which I've been instructed to increase her Tramadol.
If that does not bring her relief he will prescribe a stronger medication.

k9diabetes
04-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Oh Eileen... I'm so sorry to hear this.

Sending a hug to you and to Mildred and everything here is crossed for some good news for you both.

Natalie

Patty
04-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Oh Eileen,
I'm sorry for you both. I hope the increase helps her.
With her trigylercides improved for now, is she back on the fish or chicken? I wonder about the role of protein in her healing process.
Patty

CarolW
04-18-2011, 09:35 PM
On watch with you, Eileen - my large sympathies to you and to Mildred. I hope fervently that things get straightened out!

Lots of hugs, and tummy-tickles for Mildred.

Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:35:29 (PDT)

eileen
04-21-2011, 05:26 PM
More bad news with Mil's vet check this morning. The end of her tail once again has dead tissue with a bit of an infection at the area between the dead end and the upper portion.

Her vet scheduled her for another surgery on Monday as he did not want to do it now going into a weekend.

He has told me to warm rice in a sock and begin holding it for several minutes periodically thru out the day to her tail to help promote blood flow.

He has added another pain medication (Butorphanol Tartrate) along with a muscle relaxer (Methocarbamol) to her Tramadol, Benadryl and Keflex as she appears to be in pain with whinning and pacing thru out the entire night.

Patty, she has been back to eating Talapia for several weeks now so has that protein source.

I'm sharing Mildred's story because in my 6 1/2 years on groups I have never run across another pet that has had to face this situation as so many human diabetics do with their toes, feet and legs.
I want others to know that it is also an issue that can affect our dear diabetic critters.

Hoping that the third time will be the charm.

Also, for anyone using Tramadol or Cephalexin they fall under Walmart's $4.00 prescription plan which is a big savings over the cost thru ones vet, especially when they are ongoing medications.

If anyone is using Humalog they can go to the Humalog website and print a coupon for 5 Kwikpens and with a vet's script (or if a human diabetic with their doctor's script) can get them free from their pharmacy.
The insulin can be withdrawn in the same fashion as from a vial.

http://kwikpenvoucher.humalog.com/form.cfm?k=4

Patty
04-21-2011, 05:45 PM
Oh Eileen. Your Mildred has my prayers that this time will be a successful and she'll heal up well.

Patty

CarolW
04-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Oh, Eileen,

I'm SO sorry Mildred's tail still isn't healing. I fervently hope that will change after the next surgery, Monday.

Also, hope the new meds will give Mildred some pain relief, and you, some sleep, as by now, you really, really need to sleep.

It's a big service for you to post these details. Thanks.

Beefing up our magic wands.

Hugs,
Thu, 21 Apr 2011 18:57:08 (PDT)

buddingartist
04-22-2011, 06:18 AM
Eileen, I just caught your thread and so sorry this is happening to your Mildred.

Amazing that this would be another secondary effect of diabetes. Hope the
3rd surgery is more successful.

Take good care and good luck
Louise

pgcor
04-22-2011, 06:50 AM
Hi Eileen - I just wanted to tell you that a friend of mine adopted an older dog (12) and she had to have the tip of her dog's tail amputated twice due to infection. This poor girl was not diabetic, but it did take two amuptations to get it right. I'm hoping that this surgery will help your Mildred. I hate to see them in pain, so I'm sure this is more than unnerving for you.

jjefferjo
04-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Wacthful and hopeful for Ms Mil
Jj and Ed

k9diabetes
04-22-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Mildred is still having problems... I have been worried about her. Is there thought to be any connection to her high triglycerides as far as circulation and blood flow?

Perhaps they will be able to give her a massive dose of antibiotics.

I so hope to hear good news about Mildred.

Natalie

CarolW
04-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Massive wand-waving, paw-finger-eye-crossing, going on here as I write this, for marshaling the Forces of the Universe in Mildred's favor, as she undergoes surgery again on that infected tail.

Not expecting too prompt a reply, as you'll be having your hands full with Mildred today. I'm hoping, third time, charmed!

Massive hugs, too, along with the licks and wags, from Kumbi and Kwali at the Bridge, and Camellia and me on Earth, for Mildred's - and your - benefit. I surely hope now you'll be able to get some sleep, Eileen, as I know you've been wakeful with Mildred for very long periods lately.

Do, please, report when you CAN!

Mon, 25 Apr 2011 08:16:52 (PDT)

eileen
04-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Thank you Carol, she is undergoing surgery now so can use you, Camellia, Kumbi and Kwali watching over her.

hugs

CarolW
04-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Awaiting your next report, with all remaining items crossed!

And more hugs.
Mon, 25 Apr 2011 13:56:46 (PDT)

Patty
04-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Thinking of your girl, Eileen!

k9diabetes
04-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Was hoping for news on Mildred...

Natalie

eileen
04-26-2011, 06:43 AM
The surgery did not go as well as the vet had hoped. He said there was so little bleeding that he did not have to use a tourniquet to control it during the proceedure.
This to him indicates too little blood flow as he said it was also cold.

He wants to use laser therapy in hopes of stimulating the cells. This is something he uses successfully with granulomas altho not sure if Mildred's situation will show any beneficial results.

He wants to see her every other day with a few followup laser treatments.
He also wants me to continue with holding dry heat to her tail for several minutes, several times thru out the day. For this I'm using a heating pad which I can fold over her tail so the heat is distributed from all sides.

Because she throws such horrible fits at night with pacing and moaning he prescribed a sedative, Acepromazine and added Orbifloxacin as well.

Her glucose levels are out of control altho I am doing my best with back to using Humalog.

Thanks for thinking of her.

CarolW
04-26-2011, 06:49 AM
I REALLY hope the laser treatments work - wonderful idea!

Also hope both you and Mildred can get lots of rest!

Continuing hugs with waving of all magic wands.

Tue, 26 Apr 2011 06:48:55 (PDT)

Margaret Boyle
04-26-2011, 07:01 AM
Hi Eileen,

I am sorry too hear the problem Mildred is having with her tail.

I do hope things work out well for her I have been thinking about you both.

I have not been posting I am having a lot of major problems with Lucy just now,
we are just waiting to see how things turn out.

Kind thoughts for you and Mildred

Hugs

Margaret

HarrysMom
04-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Eileen,
I am so sorry to hear about your troubles. Sending you and Mildred a ton of healing thoughts.

buddingartist
04-26-2011, 07:23 AM
Eileen, so sorry to read about Mildred's problem. Hopefully, the laser treatments will bring some relief

Sending a virtual hug to both of you

Louise

eileen
04-26-2011, 07:45 AM
You are all so wonderful, thank you so much, your kind words mean the world to me.

Margaret, sending lots of healing vibes for Lucy.

Mikayla
04-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Thinking of you and Mildred, and hoping her
problems are soon relieved!

pgcor
04-26-2011, 08:32 AM
Eileen - just wanted you to know that even when some of us aren't posting, we're always with you and hoping for the best!

Pam and Pip

Patty
04-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Adding my healing prayers for Mildred, Eileen!
Patty

peggy0
04-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Poor Mildred. Hopefully the pain will subside in a few days Eileen and the laser treatments will work. I'm so sorry she is in pain and I'm sure you are feeling it right with her. Thinking of you. Hugs

jjefferjo
04-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Ed and I are watching and wishing
Jj

k9diabetes
04-27-2011, 09:34 AM
I so hope that Mildred will see some improvement.

Has the vet said what the underlying cause is of the very limited blood supply to her tail and how far back this lack of circulation extends?

With her history of stroke and high triglycerides, I wondered if he thinks there is a clot somewhere or perhaps a severe narrowing of the blood vessel from a plaque... we had Chris on a low-dose aspirin the last year or so because it was felt he had a clot that caused a TIA so they wanted to thin his blood.

We looked at using something like Plavix but clots are so rare in dogs that there wasn't even a recommended canine dosage in 2007 or 2008 when I looked. I talked to a cardiologist at UC Davis and he couldn't offer any guidance. There were studies of its use in cats, who apparently suffer strokes more commonly.

I suppose some kind of a growth is another possibility.

Natalie

eileen
04-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Took Mildred for her second of 3 laser therapy sessions this morning with the
next being on Friday.

Vet said her tail looks good as did the tech that was performing the treatment.
Vet only popped his head in as he has a full day of surgeries but did say he
feels very good about this.

The tech just raved about all of the benefits she has seen that have come from
this treatment, from wound healing to peridontal disease to arthritic
conditions.

Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://litecure.com/

Natalie, your mention of clotting is interesting as when Mil had her stroke in 2009 her vet did touch on the possibility as well as briefly about human meds too altho it did not go any further once the diet change to all veggies brought her levels dow.
Today the vet quickly said he had been reading about triglycerides and diabetes but headed off to his day of surgery.
I did not want to hold him up with conversation as he is giving me these laser treatments without charge.

For all others who have sent well wishes I thank you so very much!

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom
04-27-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm glad to hear the positive feedback thus far on the treatments!!!

CarolW
04-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Wonderful news about Mildred, Eileen! I'm SO happy!

Camellia, Kwali and Kumbi and I all send our congratulations, love, licks, wags, and hugs! - along with continuing magic-wand-waving for full healing.

Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:13:26 (PDT)

Patty
05-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Eileen,
How's Mildred doing?
Patty

eileen
05-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks for asking, Patty...

Mil's tail has healed, finally. It still has the stitches at the end but are disolving.

I'm keeping the BiteNot collar on her until I see nothing but healed over skin.

I took it off for a few minutes so she could eat more comfortably but as I turned my back, not longer than 5 minutes I turned around to find her chewing on her hind end...enough so that it was raw and nearly bleeding.

I just don't know what is bothering her so much that she chews at herself.

I don't know what I'm going to do...

HarrysMom
05-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Is there any chance Mildred may be suffering from the fleas? Tail area is apparently where they get a bite, and all it takes is one single bite for allergy to flare up. A friend of mine has a dog that finally had to get an allergy testing, and apparently the dog was allergic to flea bites. She was using Frontline Plus, but had to switch to something more potent against the fleas.

HarrysMom
05-10-2011, 11:13 AM
If you have a veterinary dermatologist, you may be able to get Mildred an allergy test.

CarolW
05-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Glad Mildred's tail is healing! So sorry, though, about the itchy hind end. If you can't swing a veterinary dermatologist, maybe your regular vet could do a bit of research? You clearly have a gem of a regular vet!

Have to be careful about what goes onto hot-spots. Rats. Wishing you, Mildred (and Melody) all the best.

Hugs, with licks, wags, and magic-wand-waving, from Kwali, Kumbi, Camellia and me.

Tue, 10 May 2011 12:20:34 (PDT) and off for a long nap - can you catch one?

Patty
05-10-2011, 02:31 PM
Eileen,
Has Mildred always had allergies? Or did this just start recently? Can you pin point a timeline if it's recent? It's always such a puzzle to figure these things out...
Patty

k9diabetes
05-11-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm so relieved to hear this Eileen.

I wonder if it might be tingly like when an arm goes to sleep. Could also be there's a bit of a hot spot type situation there. Or even just a habit that's hard for her to break.

I hope once she's further down the healing road it won't bother her any more.

Natalie

pgcor
05-12-2011, 06:02 AM
Hi Eileen - I'm not trying to hijack your post, but a friend of mine has a dog with severe allergies. She also has a parrot that exhibits some allergy-related picking. She recently moved to a more rural area that has well water and it seems to her that both her dog and parrot are significantly better.

I can't vouch for any of this, just passing on something I found interesting. Wouldn't think water would have anything to do wih allergies.

Pam

eileen
07-26-2011, 11:00 AM
Vet has started Mildred on Pentoxifylline, wondering if anyone has used this medication and can offer some insight...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentoxifylline

Thanks!

k9diabetes
07-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Interesting drug... I haven't ever seen it used before by anyone on a forum.

Natalie

Patty
07-27-2011, 05:50 PM
I've not heard of it either Eileen.

HarrysMom
07-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Eileen - is this for neuropathy? I would be interested in learning more.

eileen
07-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Mildred has been experiencing some 'odd' behaviour, not all of the time, but off and on.
She seems lost at times, looks at me as tho she doesn't know me, stares into space, is very skiddish to touch and to noise, has to be reminded how to do certain things...such as with eating and drinking.

Vet had 2 suggestions, the first being Cognitive Dysfunction (Alzheimers) and the second is what he called Ischemic Cerebral Vascular Incident which he says can happen with certain diseases, cancer being one.
Among other symptoms there can be a lack of oxygen/blood going to the brain which can cause sparadic episodes.

This medication, Pentoxifylline, can sometimes help with this condition. Her vet was not too optimistic but wanted to give it a try.

BestBuddy
07-27-2011, 07:05 PM
I haven't heard of Pentoxifylline.

Phoebe (not diabetic) was having quite a bit of that odd old dog behavior and we went with Anipryl. I do think it helped as those moments became further apart and not quite so odd.

Jenny

eileen
07-27-2011, 07:15 PM
I haven't heard of Pentoxifylline.

Phoebe (not diabetic) was having quite a bit of that odd old dog behavior and we went with Anipryl. I do think it helped as those moments became further apart and not quite so odd.

Jenny

I've heard that Anipryl has helped quite a few dogs, glad Phoebe is one!

I think Mil's vet is leaning towards the second cause as Mildred was dx with bladder cancer on May 14 and these strange occurances began a few weeks ago.... coincidence or related?

There are tests that can determine for sure but this is not something we are going to pursue.

HarrysMom
07-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Eileen,
I am so sorry to hear about Mildred's bladder cancer and now this. She is such a survivor that I hope she can face her latest challenges as well as she did with her other issues before. She is lucky to have you as her mom.

eileen
07-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Eileen,
I am so sorry to hear about Mildred's bladder cancer and now this. She is such a survivor that I hope she can face her latest challenges as well as she did with her other issues before. She is lucky to have you as her mom.

Thank you SO much, it has been a very rough 2 months since the cancer diagnoses....median life expectancy is 180 days with this type of cancer, an aggressive cancer....not good.

One day at a time is all we can do....I cherish evey day as if it is her last.

Despite everything she is happy and does not appear to be in pain, for now.

CarolW
07-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Oh, dear Eileen! this is really a rough time for the Human-DogParents. The dogs, now; they can do as well as we can help them do! Mildred is an EXTREMELY fortunate dog, to have you as her DogMum.

We are behind you. Waving all magic wands. That includes Kwali and Kumbi at the Bridge, who will be there for Mildred when it's time - but till then, they say, We leave Mildred on Earth with Camellia to wave HER magic wand for Mildred. And you.

And I think your vet is great.

Wed, 27 Jul 2011 20:19:29 (PDT)

BestBuddy
07-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Eileen,

It's ironic that when I was a kid I wanted the days to go much faster so I could get to the next birthday, Christmas or even school holidays. Now I wish everything would just slow down so I can enjoy and appreciate the "now", even when there is bad stuff happening I want the time to think before deciding without haste.

We should seize every moment and savor the good times with both family (dogs too) and friends while we can. I hope your happy days with Mildred are many.

Jenny

Patty
07-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Has the vet had other dogs on the Pentoxifylline? Sounds like it would be worth a try.
Give Mil a hug for us Eileen!
Patty

k9diabetes
07-27-2011, 09:12 PM
The news of Mildred's cancer was heartbreaking... Thank goodness she does not seem to be in pain.

I was thinking about her tail problems too when I read about this medication. It certainly seems like Mildred's circulation could be at the heart of several of the problems she has experienced recently so it sounds like a good thing to try.

We are sending every positive thought Mildred's way,

Natalie

farrwf
07-28-2011, 04:48 AM
Thank you SO much, it has been a very rough 2 months since the cancer diagnoses....median life expectancy is 180 days with this type of cancer, an aggressive cancer....not good.

One day at a time is all we can do....I cherish evey day as if it is her last.

Despite everything she is happy and does not appear to be in pain, for now.

Our prayers are with Mildred and you, Eileen. Miracles do happen and that's what we want.

Can sure relate to your cherishing each day you have with her. O's diagnosis with diabetes and the ensuing eye problems sure woke me up to his mortality, and make me really appreciate each day we have.

eileen
08-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Just a quick update...

It seems that the vet putting Mildred on Pentoxifylline is showing to be beneficial as her 'episodes' are not seeming to be nearly as pronounced.
She is acting more like her 'old self', not nearly as jumpy and with her skin clearing up somewhat which is also a beneficial effect of the medication.

We're now facing major eating issues for which her vet started her on Mirtazapine which showed to cause some really strange side effects so have discontinued it.
Vet added a 3mg tab of Melatonin given twice a day to her already long list of medications.

I'm late in thanking those that have sent their prayers to my girl, they are very much appreciated.

Patty, Natalie...I'm thinking that maybe this thread needs to be added to Mil's other existing thread...I don't know, I'm sometimes not sure when to add to an existing thread or to start a new one ;-)

Patty
08-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Eileen,
So happy to hear the Pentoxifylline is helping! I will pray that she gets her appetite back however. I've been thinking of you two. So good to hear an update.

A good idea on merging your threads.
Patty

janspack
08-07-2011, 03:01 AM
Eileen,

I'm really glad it's helping Mildred.

eileen
08-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Since Mildred has become an EXTREMELY picky (to the point of refusal) eater I am searching for another choice in foods.

I strolled thru a local pet store and ran across this food, the raw variety caught my eye.
I am thinking that with the homecooked diet she has been eating I must feed her 11 ounces of the combination for her to maintain her current weight....just way too much food now.

Has anyone ever tried any of these food products and if so (or not) I welcome any and all input.

http://www.naturesvariety.com/InstinctRaw/dog/all

Thanks!

jesse girl
08-10-2011, 04:26 PM
well we never used those products but we do use a partial raw homemade diet and jesse does prefer beef over fish and poultry of coarse we have not tried the more exotic meats

i

eileen
08-10-2011, 04:38 PM
well we never used those products but we do use a partial raw homemade diet and jesse does prefer beef over fish and poultry of coarse we have not tried the more exotic meats

i

Thanks for the input.

Now if I only knew how to change the title in the thread....I thought I changed it but it didn't stick.

Patty
08-10-2011, 09:05 PM
I haven't used Nature's Variety. We use Primal's Pheasant and Chicken formulas. I know Heidi has used Bravo Basics and added veggies/carb to it.

Likely you'd have to add a carb to the mix. I think most of them contain around 2%.

I introduced it to Ali's system slowly, giving about a quarter size bite throughout the day for a few days. I knew from switching her to raw several years ago for a short time, she didn't transition well. So we took it slow and she did well.

I believe Nature's Variety had a recall out on their Chicken formulas last year.

eileen
08-13-2011, 07:39 AM
I decided to hold off on the switch to raw, I had picked up a few cans of, 'Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul' (senior formula) at the same time I was in the petfood store just to try her on it in hopes that she'd eat...something.
Well, she loves it and has now had 6 solid meals, licking her plate clean. I'm going to stick with this for now as I think the importance is that she gets nutrition, and at her own desire.

It has been 4 weeks now that she has been on Pentoxifylline and the results are AMAZING! Her skin condition, which we've had issues with for quite some time, are clearing and most importantly her overall well being has improved dramatically, like night and day.
She seems much more aware of her surroundings and appears to be back into life, no longer with that lost look in her eyes.

The down side is that she has developed a tinge of blood in her urine. Her regular vet is on vacation but another vet started her on Clavamox.
This vet suggests that it is possible it is her cancer which can 'eat away at blood vessels causing leakage'.

I struggle daily with keeping her glucose levels in a decent range, I imagine the cancer and all of the meds are having quite an effect.

Patty, Natalie....here I go again, I'm thinking that maybe if we just keep the title of Mildred's thread simply, 'Eileen's Mildred' it will suffice for all future postings ;-)
thanks

Patty
08-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Oh Eileen. That is great news she's eating consistently again and the med has helped so much!!

I hope the Clavamox helps. The blood vessel issue does make sense.

Hugs to your girl,
Patty

k9diabetes
08-13-2011, 03:02 PM
Eileen,

What wonderful news about the effect of the Pentoxifylline. :) Vetmedin was like that for Chris' heart condition and it makes such a huge difference for them to get that spark back.

Natalie

CarolW
08-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Eileen,

This is really WONDERFUL news! I'm so happy for Mildred and you!

Love, hugs, licks and wags, from our entire crew - still waving all those Magic Wands!
Sat, 13 Aug 2011 17:44:19 (PDT)

eileen
08-18-2011, 08:36 AM
On Tuesday I spoke with Mildred's vet concerning the increased blood in her urine.

He said he would like to try giving her a treatment that some vets are using for mast cell and bone cancers mainly altho also now some are finding it beneficial for other forms of cancer as well.

It is called Carboplatinum (this is how her vet spelled it) and is either injected by catheter into the bladder (for bladder cancer) or thru iv.
So he would not have to sedate her he decided to go the iv route.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/carboplatin-paraplatin/page1.aspx

I dropped her off on Wednesday morning (yesterday) and picked her up by 3 p/m.
He said it could take up to a week to see any positive results with the treatment then needing to be repeated again in 2-3 weeks.
Hopefully we will see some shrinkage of the tumors with the blood stopping.

He also did another ultra sound which shows she is growing a third tumor, now 3 in her bladder...uggg

Her vet did this, the treatment, which normally runs between $250.00-$300.00 along with the ultra sound for Mildred...for free... as he knows my financial situation would not have allowed it.

I must take her back in 4 days for a check on her red and white blood cell count as this treatment can take a toll.

kidpwr4
08-18-2011, 08:54 AM
praying for success of this treatment for Mildred!

That's awesome that your vet is doing it "pro-bono"! I'm sure he would like to do it for his own research purposes to know if it's something that'll work so it benefits both of you!

Best of luck! Keep us posted

eileen
08-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks for your positive thoughts!

I love the fact that Mildred may teach her vet and help others down the line too!

Judi
08-18-2011, 09:15 AM
I hope Mildred gets some relief. I love your vet!

Patty
08-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Wow, Eilleen a 3rd tumor. Glad your vet was kind enough to do the treatment for free. Definitely a very powerful drug. Let us know how her labs turn out in a few days. Hoping the treatment helps her!

eileen
08-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Patty, Judi, thanks!

Last night only a few hours after I brough her home she was outside in the yard running around chasing the other dogs.

This morning she did not eat so I let her go without force feeding...

Vet had said she may feel nauseous for a couple of days.

The third tumor is a horrible shock...sadly she is at a stage where she can not continue in the state her cancer is at.
Really upsetting because she still wants to play....

jjefferjo
08-18-2011, 12:02 PM
wow Eileen
Mildred is such a trooper and loved the fact that your vet worked with you on this as did Ed' opthamologist with me on his laser surgery- speaks volumes and again I think they are learning something as well.
Sending all positive thoughts out in to the Universe for ya'll

Jj and Ed

farrwf
08-18-2011, 12:11 PM
We're with you, too.

Great vet you have!!!!!

People like him do a lot to restore my faith in humanity.

Chloe's Mom
08-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Hi Eileen,

I heard about Mildred and wanted to post to tell you my prayers are with you. I know what you are going through and my heart hurts for you both.

I have not posted for so long and I am sorry. I have just had no time at all with trying to care for my girl, work and all. I know you understand.

I hope this drug works for Mildred. I know the stress you must be under.

Hugs to you both
Heidi and Chloe

HarrysMom
08-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Eileen,
I really feel for you and Midred and can really empathize with what you are going through. Sending Mildred a ton of healing thoughts.
I have my osteosarcoma cat Audrey on Chinese herbs as western anti-cancer meds. I think Chinese herbs have helped her with energy and appetite.

beachnut55
08-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Many prayers going up for you and Mildred. Hugs to both of you as well.
((((Eileen))))
((((Mildred))))

Shirley

SandyL
08-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Have healing thoughts and lot of prayers coming Mildreds way!

Sandy

CarolW
08-18-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm so glad you have such a great vet at a time like this in Mildred's life - and in yours.

All possible Magic-Wand-waving going on, at the Bridge, by Kwali and Kumbi, who say to Mildred - it's not your time yet, but when it is, we'll be here to greet you - and here on lowly Earth, by Camellia (whose Magic Wand is really quite stunning) - and me - Magic Wand indeterminable, but looks a bit like a broom.

Love, hugs, licks and wags,
Thu, 18 Aug 2011 21:46:44 (PDT)

Abby's Mom
08-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Eileen,

Mildred and you have a strong spirit. These dogs are just amazing aren't they, and such inspiration. Your vet is very kind... how wonderful is that!

Hugs and Paws

MaryLea
08-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Many prayers going up for you and Mildred. Hugs to both of you as well.
((((Eileen))))
((((Mildred))))

Shirley

From here, too! Sorry to hear of the continuing difficulties.

Mary

buddingartist
08-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Oh Mildred, I am so very sorry to read about the 3rd tumour. Your Mildred is a fighter and your vet is an angel....

Let's also not forget the wonderful and caring mommy that you are and I send you a virtual hug.

Take good care of yourself
Louise

eileen
08-19-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm in tears as I read all of the supportive posts for my sweet girl...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

nikki
08-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Eileen,
I don't even have the words to say. I know how much we love our little babies. I will say a prayer for both of you. Stay strong. And try to enjoy her and love her alot.

Ladybug
08-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Eileen,

I'm so sorry to hear about Mildred. Give her lots of kisses and hugs...hold her close to you. Sending healing thoughts and prayers....

Linda

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom
08-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Oh Eileen,

I'm sorry to hear all that you are going through. Mildred is so lucky to have you. Please give her a few extra belly rubs from us. Hang in there - we are here for you.

Hugs,

Tami, Soaph and Syd

Patty
08-19-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm in tears as I read all of the supportive posts for my sweet girl...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

You and Mil are long time family, Eileen...we lift you up and are here whenever you need us. Wish we could do more.

((Hugs))
Patty

peggy0
08-20-2011, 12:49 PM
So sorry Eileen. It is so hard when it gets to this stage but Mildred is a trooper and she's going to tough it out with you :) Hugs to you

k9diabetes
08-20-2011, 10:59 PM
You and Mildred are never far from my mind these days.

Natalie

CoolGram
08-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Hello Eileen,

I've been away from the forum for several months and was just reading through your recent posts. I'm so sorry for Mildred's ongoing problems, but want you to know I'm thinking of you both and praying for the best.

Carolyn

eileen
08-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Good news!, all of your prayers and good thoughts have paid off...

Took Mil in today for a CBC, blood count, and all was in a decent range.

She will return in 2 weeks for her second round of Carboplatin...

Fingers crossed, please!

jesse girl
08-22-2011, 01:35 PM
we got them crossed and knocking on some wood also keep those positive vibrations going

Abby's Mom
08-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Oh Eileen, that is wonderful news. Alot of prayers are being sent your way.

farrwf
08-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Good news!, all of your prayers and good thoughts have paid off...

Took Mil in today for a CBC, blood count, and all was in a decent range.

She will return in 2 weeks for her second round of Carboplatin...

Fingers crossed, please!

Great stuff!

The "O" & myself are praying for her!

Judi
08-22-2011, 02:49 PM
This is such good news! Continued prayers and healing thoughts for Mildred!

buddingartist
08-22-2011, 03:37 PM
Hi Eileen

Fabulous news:) Positive thoughts, prayers and many many hugs going your way.

Louise

CarolW
08-22-2011, 04:04 PM
Super news, Eileen! I'm so happy! Camellia is delighted too. Kwali and Kumbi are, too!

Love and hugs, licks and wags,
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:03:55 (PDT)

jjefferjo
08-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Eileen
fabulous news I do believe that what you put out into the universe comes back. And every occassionoccurences is a lesson somehow
I have a mentor that says "Thoughts become things choose the good ones"
Good on Mildred!

Patty
08-22-2011, 05:40 PM
GREAT news Eileen! Continuing the healing prayers for your girl :)
Patty

peggy0
08-23-2011, 05:19 AM
Congrats Eileen!!!! I knew she could do it

eileen
08-23-2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks All!, your continued support is so very much appreciated.

I'm thrilled that this now means she can have a second round in 2 weeks.

eileen
08-24-2011, 08:24 AM
...heavy sigh

I'm looking for some suggestions, input or just comments...

Briefly,

Mildred will not, does not, eat with any consistency with amount or ingredients, it's different with every meal...pretty much offering her a mix of either/and hamburger, chicken, sometimes rice, must have Cambell's Chunky Salisbury Steak soup to even draw the slightest attention...maybe....topped off with a small jar of stage 2 Gerber turkey or chicken baby food....all of this in odd proportions with her picking out, spitting out, this and that which she decides with that meal she does not want.
Will no longer eat yogurt, cottege cheese or any added veggies....only the ones in the soup, maybe.
Will not eat any variety of canned dog food.

Her medications are;

5a/m ~ 1/2 pepcid
6a/m ~ maybe food...?u insulin...Humalog and/or NPH

following the ingestion of her a/m food;

Pentoxifyllin
1/2 tramadol
1/2 benadryl
1 (3mg) melatonin
levo

4p/m ~ carafate
6p/m ~ food (?)... ?u insulin

above meds repeated along with 1ml Piroxicam
just added 1/2 diazepam to evening meds

I'm contemplating maybe cutting out the NPH entirely with trying my best to control her glucose with Humalog alone....I don't know, her bgs have been in the 300-400 range.

PLEASE...desperately needing a fresh perspective...ideas?

Thanks!

jesse girl
08-24-2011, 08:48 AM
as you know jesse has one meal a day definitely a radical concept she does not have any problems with appetite . she had severe pancreatitis which probably gave her permanent diabetes and has seemed to affect her digestive system I was told to go to smaller meals and more of them well you know that would be difficult for a diabetic dog so i did the 2 meals we had wide fluctuations in blood sugar and flare ups with the pancreas so i remember natalie saying when her animals had problems with diarrhea or vomiting she with held food

this got me thinking why not try the same approach with jesse one big meal and give her digestion a break for the rest of the day well it worked i have tried to work a second meal back in which flared up her pancreas again and numbers that weren't so great

jesse is probably the only diabetic on one meal she has been on it for a year so it has proven itself for her but of coarse there is no track record except for her

eileen
08-24-2011, 08:52 AM
as you know jesse has one meal a day definitely a radical concept she does not have any problems with appetite . she had severe pancreatitis which probably gave her permanent diabetes and has seemed to affect her digestive system I was told to go to smaller meals and more of them well you know that would be difficult for a diabetic dog so i did the 2 meals we had wide fluctuations in blood sugar and flare ups with the pancreas so i remember natalie saying when her animals had problems with diarrhea or vomiting she with held food

this got me thinking why not try the same approach with jesse one big meal and give her digestion a break for the rest of the day well it worked i have tried to work a second meal back in which flared up her pancreas again and numbers that weren't so great

jesse is probably the only diabetic on one meal she has been on it for a year so it has proven itself for her but of coarse there is no track record except for her

Would you mind telling me your insulin schedule for Jesse..I know I've read it before but can not recall...

You have my wheels turning, thanks

Patty
08-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Here's a link to Jesse's thread Eileen for some ideas. http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2001

You could perhaps consider R to gain more duration than the Humalog if you want to try eliminating N as Natalie did with Chris. I know you used to use R quite a while back.

I wish I could be of more help. Is she losing quite a bit of weight with the feeding issue? I know that coconut oil (look for organic virgin) can enter the cells for fuel without the aid of insulin. But you have to start small with it. I can look up the info from when Ali was on it if you want.

Take care,
Patty

jesse girl
08-24-2011, 12:10 PM
it has changed a bit

I give her her one meal at 5:30 pm and 1.5 units

she is on a split dose because of her early drop and duration issues on the back side i give her second dose at 8:30 pm which is 2 units

7:30 am she gets one unit and no meal but i may give a snack depending where the numbers are she always had a tendency to drop and i cant split the morning cycle because of work so if she is in the mid 100s at fasting she gets 2 teaspoons of plain bread crumbs for jesse i need something that is fast and out fast and that seems to work

digestion has been the problem for her she will eat but the body just doesnt process it very well are initial goal was to get more stable numbers with no food but it improved the whole 24 hours a pleasant surprise

I do use fast acting insulin like you if the fasting is above 300 for jesse those are micro shots it barely a squirt for her and that can be a difference from being in the 300s to the 100s with that little squirt

Of coarse you may have to take pieces and parts and make it your own mildred has different issues from jesse but the premise that one meal can work for a dog with digestive issues is possible and does work for jesse

it is a delicate balance she can only digest a specific amount of food at one time and this is on the borderline of the amount of calories she needs she doesnt loose weight but she will not gain either and adding more does not work but she is good a little thin like a puppy

if you have any questions just ask

k9diabetes
08-24-2011, 09:13 PM
We went through a lot of this during Chris' last six months or so. He would do okay for a while and then start refusing to eat something. We used different meats and we at various times cooked him flavored pasta, flavored rice. I was even giving him meat and crackers for a while! As we changed up meals, we tried to keep the calories or at least portions fairly consistent. But it was definitely a wing-it thing with the insulin. We just had to guess what was right and test to see how well we guessed.

You might want to give an NPH dose appropriate for her not eating anything at all - 1/4 to 1/2 the usual.

And then deal with the food with the Humalog or Regular and base that on whether she eats and how much she eats.

There were days when Chris just flat out refused to eat anything and we would say okay and give him a no-food dose of insulin and leave it at that.

Sometimes it's probably okay to just let her not eat if she doesn't feel like it. That would be a big benefit of breaking up the NPH for basal and faster acting insulin for the meal. If she was willing to eat a few hours later, you could give her the faster acting insulin then.

Natalie

Judi
08-25-2011, 06:20 AM
Eileen was it here or on the Cushings forum I read that some people are giving their dogs slippery elm bark and it has improved digestion and caused one or two dogs to perk up and eat again?

I've read so many threads lately but if you want me to look for it I sure will

Judi

eileen
08-25-2011, 07:12 AM
Eileen was it here or on the Cushings forum I read that some people are giving their dogs slippery elm bark and it has improved digestion and caused one or two dogs to perk up and eat again?

I've read so many threads lately but if you want me to look for it I sure will

Judi

Thanks Judi, I do remember having read this from time to time over the years.

With ALL of her medications I'll have to ask her vet if it is something I can try.

eileen
08-25-2011, 07:19 AM
This morning I've decided to stay calm (right) as she refused her breakfast, gave her a reduced amount of insulin, left her breakfast down as mid morning she usually starts looking the direction of her plate....and, if she eats then I will give her Humalog.

Maybe, just maybe if I back off with insisting she eat she will begin on her own, in her own time.

I'll see how this works for awhile as at last weigh in she had gained 2 pounds, hoping that is not 'tumor' weight....or at least hoping she is holding her weight.

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions.

buddingartist
08-25-2011, 07:21 AM
Eileen, I empathise with what you are going through with Mildred not eating and winging it on the dosage.

During Buddy's last week or so, I had to do this and found it really scary. He was on 11 units, one day I brought him down to 6 and the next day down to 3 and he threw me a curve and tested at 4 (72) and 2 (36). I had never seen such low numbers on Buddy and he didn't do too well below 8-10 (145-160).

Good luck to you and virtual hugs your way

Louise

Cebe
08-25-2011, 08:45 AM
There were days when Chris just flat out refused to eat anything and we would say okay and give him a no-food dose of insulin and leave it at that.

Sometimes it's probably okay to just let her not eat if she doesn't feel like it. That would be a big benefit of breaking up the NPH for basal and faster acting insulin for the meal. If she was willing to eat a few hours later, you could give her the faster acting insulin then.

Natalie

Just curious, what would a no-food dose be? And how does one determine that for their own dog. So far, Zoe eats just fine, but I'm certain I'll have moments when she refuses and right now, I wouldn't know what to do and would likely just skip her insulin.

nikki
08-25-2011, 09:41 AM
When i have had to take my nikki to vet to have her teeth cleaned they had me give her only 1/2 of the morning dose.That was because she could not eat that morning.

eileen
08-25-2011, 09:55 AM
We most often do not want to skip their insulin dose entirely even when they do not eat.
Even without food their basal needs must be covered, this is usually with 1/4 - 1/2 of their 'normal' insulin dose.

MaryLea
08-25-2011, 06:41 PM
When there was only one meal skipped, I gave 1/2 dose. When she got worse near the end and wasn't eating much at all, it was more like 1/4 or 1/3 dose.

Mary

Patty
09-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Eileen,
Wondering how you and Mildred are doing...
Patty

Abby's Mom
09-13-2011, 08:55 AM
Me too.... how are things going?

eileen
09-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Mildred received her third chemo treatment today.

In discussions with her vet we touched on the topic of Serotonin Syndrome as she is on a minute dose (1/4 of a 15mg tab) Mirtazapine once a day as well as 1/2 tab Tramadol twice a day.
He did not feel that these small doses would cause an adverse reaction.

But, he did want to put her on Anipryl for her increasing CDS but decided against it as it might be too much in combination with the others.

I brought up Senilife but not knowing he couldn't offer any advice on whether I should try that.

Any thoughts and/or input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

jjefferjo
09-28-2011, 06:20 PM
Hi eileen
can't offer any advice here- but just wanted say hey
Jj and Ed

eileen
09-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Hi eileen
can't offer any advice here- but just wanted say hey
Jj and Ed

Can't tell you how much I appreciate even the 'hey'....it's been rough lately.

MaryLea
09-28-2011, 06:51 PM
Mildred received her third chemo treatment today.

In discussions with her vet we touched on the topic of Serotonin Syndrome as she is on a minute dose (1/4 of a 15mg tab) Mirtazapine once a day as well as 1/2 tab Tramadol twice a day.
He did not feel that these small doses would cause an adverse reaction.

But, he did want to put her on Anipryl for her increasing CDS but decided against it as it might be too much in combination with the others.

I brought up Senilife but not knowing he couldn't offer any advice on whether I should try that.

Any thoughts and/or input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I'm afraid your experience is beyond anything I've had or done. The only med you mention that we've used is Tramadol. But I feel for you because of going through some rough days with Ruffles. I can tell you love your Mildred dearly. ;)

(((Hugs))) and well-wishes,

Mary

Patty
09-29-2011, 05:19 AM
Eileen,
I don't have any experience with Senilife or its drug interaction but can help do some research later today.

Ingredients:
The components of Senilife work synergistically and have a specific neuroprotective action to protect your pet from cognitive decline and improve the behavior signs that are often seen in senior pets.
Phosphatidylserine: Improves nerve cell communication and ensures those processes continue to work effectively.
Pyridoxine: Essential for normal brain development, function, and neuron health.
Ginkgo Biloba: Improves cerebral blood flow, increases glucose metabolism, and has a strong antioxidant effect.
Resveratrol: Antioxidant which protects neurons from toxic substances that can cause cell death.
Natural Vitamin E: Antioxidant with neuroprotective potential and slows functional deterioration observed clinically in patients with cognitive decline.
http://www.senilife.com/Senilife/Senilife-R-Overview/Components

What are Mildred's current drugs?
Patty

eileen
09-29-2011, 05:54 AM
I'm afraid your experience is beyond anything I've had or done. The only med you mention that we've used is Tramadol. But I feel for you because of going through some rough days with Ruffles. I can tell you love your Mildred dearly. ;)

(((Hugs))) and well-wishes,

Mary

Thank You, Mary.

I'm sorry for the hard times you are being faced with with Ruffles...it certainly is heartwrenching!

Sending good vibes your way!