PDA

View Full Version : Nitro passed away October 28

Nitro's Mum
10-08-2008, 05:59 PM
My name is Hazel and I'm from Brisbane Australia,my dog Nitro has diabetes Melittis and now also been diagnosed with Cushings, he's an 11 year old Staffy who is my best friend and I Love him more than anything.

Here's his story, in mid August this year he was trying to jump up on my bed(yep they sleep inside) when my little girl dog Mia(a.k.a the Devil Dog) thought he was going to get her bone so she attacked him and got him in the eye, by the end of the following week his eye was really red and when I took him to the Emergency vet they said that it had ruptured and couldn't be saved so he had to have his left eye removed, during the pre-op blood tests they found out he had diabetes and thought he may have had cushings as well due to his chubby tummy(we all thought it was due to the fact that he likes his food lol), skin infection, excessive weeing and drinking and the fact that the infection in his eye took hold so quickly.

Then last week he was back in again after getting a bone stuck in his esophagus(luckily he only had grazes)and they did 3 blood tests and it was positive that he has Cushings, we're now just waiting for the meds to arrive at the vets from the manufacturers.

Well that's our story, sorry if we bored you but I wanted to let you know how it was found out for us.

Look forward to chatting to you all again.

rhodesian46
10-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Welcome,
I too have a dog with Cushings, diabetes and hypothyroidism. Is your dog on trilostane? Did you have an Acth test done THere is a forum for Cushings dogs. THere you will find lots of info on Cush pups There are a few there that their dogs have diabetes and cushings. Here is the link, Please check it out. http://caninecushings.net/ Are you home testing? What kind of insulin is he on? Just want to welcome you Hazel PLease post more info on Nitro. Have to run Will post tomorrow!:D:D

k9diabetes
10-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi Hazel,

Nice to see you here!

You and Marianne, who posted just above me, will have to get acquainted on the Cushings board since you are both there as well!

I know the forum thing is fairly new to you. I may copy some of what you've written about Nitro on the Cushings board to here if it will answer some of the bunches of questions I know members will be asking you.

Once again, welcome!

Natalie

Debbie & Apollo
10-09-2008, 07:01 AM
HI and WELCOME!

Sorry about Nitro - this is a great place for information, as is the Cushings forum.
Apollo has has diabetes for almost 2 yrs now and this past summer we tested for Cushings.
Don't be afraid to ask questions - we too are still learning:)

good luck - this is all treatable and our furbabies can lead a full life.

Debbie and Apollo

CarolW
10-09-2008, 07:27 AM
Hi Hazel and Nitro, and a big, fat welcome to you! I'm pretty new here myself; joined less than a month ago. My dog only has diabetes, so my life is simpler than yours.

I noticed you said yep; your dogs live inside, and I chuckled at that, because I expect it's more common in North America, maybe in the UK, too, for dogs to live inside than it might be in Australia, or, for that matter, in New Zealand.

So is it common in Australia for dogs to live in the house? Or not?

I think all dogs who live in the house, with their human and other animal-companions, do better as the parts of the family they really are, or should be.

You do have a bit of a handful, with both diabetes and Cushings; I wish you the best of luck with both. Do stay with us! Keep reporting, when you can! You should get great responses here.

So, welcome!
Thu, 9 Oct 2008 06:27:11

ladysmom06
10-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Hi Hazel,

Welcome to the diabetes board. Glad to see you here - tons of info just like the cushing's board.

Has Nitro started the trilostane yet? Once he starts it you really need to keep an eye on his bg's. Before Lady was on trilo she was getting 11 units of insulin twice a day - after being on the trilo for a few weeks her bg's dropped and we had to reduce the insulin to 5 units twice a day. Here is a link to her story - her story is also on the cushing's board but this is a shorter one http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73

Ask all the questions you want - we're all here to help you. Good luck with Nitro and hugs to the two of you.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

Cara's Mom
10-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Hi Hazel:) ,
Welcome to you and Nitro!! This is a good place to come, with very knowledgeable and caring people. If it was not for this group, Cara (8 yr old English Setter, diagnosed DM Aug.1/08) and I would not be where we are at now!
Hugs for Nitro!

We Hope
10-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Welcome Hazel and Nitro!

Boy, from what you posted, I think Nitro is a VERY good name for him because he sounds like he keeps you on your toes! :)

We're all waiting to hear more about this high-power guy of yours! :D

Kathy

BestBuddy
10-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Hi Hazel,
I am another crossover from the cushings board. I am also an Aussie just outside Melbourne. Welcome, I know you will get some great advise and support here for Nitro and diabetes.
Jenny & Buddy

Ricksma
10-10-2008, 05:33 AM
Welcome to Hazel and Nitro...so glad that you have found this board. There is a wealth of information and support here, and I know you will find what you need. This is a journey, and you could say that you and your Nitro have just set out, and the moderators and members here are your GPS system...they are all here to guide you along the way. So happy you are here!!

Love and hugs, Teresa and Ricky

eyelostit
10-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Welcome Hazel and Nitro :), lots of help here, the diagnosis is scary at first but we somehow get thru it. Niki is a diabetic, she went blind about 2 yrs ago and does very well with her blindness she is border collie/aussie shepard/blue heeler mix and thinks she is the boss. She has done well with her being blind, she plays soccer now, can jump up in my SUV and runs all around the house.

I'm sorry about Nitro's eye that had to be hard.

Ask any questions even if you think they are crazy or stupid, we have already asked them:rolleyes:

Nitro's Mum
10-20-2008, 10:00 PM
Welcome,
I too have a dog with Cushings, diabetes and hypothyroidism. Is your dog on trilostane? Did you have an Acth test done THere is a forum for Cushings dogs. THere you will find lots of info on Cush pups There are a few there that their dogs have diabetes and cushings. Here is the link, Please check it out. http://caninecushings.net/ Are you home testing? What kind of insulin is he on? Just want to welcome you Hazel PLease post more info on Nitro. Have to run Will post tomorrow!:D:D

Hi Marianne, yeah I'm also a member at caninecushings, he started on trilostane on friday and will have the ACTH Stim test on the 28th to see how's it's going. Nitro is on Caninsulin .25 dose and will have a blood test on the same day as his other test to see if it needs to be altered. So far he's doing fine on all things.

Thanks all for your kind welcome

I have a question that I hope NEVER happens- one of the vets said that IF Nitro ever goes into diabetic shock to rub glucose syrup or honey on his gums, has anyone ever had to do this or can anyone offer any alternatives to use?

Nitro's Mum
10-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Hi Hazel and Nitro, and a big, fat welcome to you! I'm pretty new here myself; joined less than a month ago. My dog only has diabetes, so my life is simpler than yours.

I noticed you said yep; your dogs live inside, and I chuckled at that, because I expect it's more common in North America, maybe in the UK, too, for dogs to live inside than it might be in Australia, or, for that matter, in New Zealand.

So is it common in Australia for dogs to live in the house? Or not?

I think all dogs who live in the house, with their human and other animal-companions, do better as the parts of the family they really are, or should be.

You do have a bit of a handful, with both diabetes and Cushings; I wish you the best of luck with both. Do stay with us! Keep reporting, when you can! You should get great responses here.

So, welcome!
Thu, 9 Oct 2008 06:27:11

Hi Carol, it's not common for dogs to live inside here in Australia except if they're little breeds or show dogs, I do it because where I live we have alot of venomous snakes(my cat Freddie was killed by one) that come into the yard as we have bush right behind our back fence and I don't want to lose them, you should've seen me when Freddie died, I don't want to go through that again so I keep them inside especially now that the weather is getting hotter, otherwise they run around the back yard like crazy things lol.

k9diabetes
10-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Good to hear Nitro's doing well!

That's so sad about Freddie! All our critters are indoor only (the cats) or mainly indoor (the dog) cuz I just can't stand to have something bad happen to them out there.

We are still freaking out any time this crazy new dog goes careening toward a piece of furniture INSIDE the house! LOL Our diabetic dog was blind the last four years of his life and we haven't yet adjusted to a dog who can see!

Natalie

ladysmom06
10-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi Hazel,

Just checking to see how Nitro is doing. Hoping all is going well. Hugs to the two of you.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

CarolW
10-22-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi Carol, it's not common for dogs to live inside here in Australia except if they're little breeds or show dogs, I do it because where I live we have alot of venomous snakes(my cat Freddie was killed by one) that come into the yard as we have bush right behind our back fence and I don't want to lose them, you should've seen me when Freddie died, I don't want to go through that again so I keep them inside especially now that the weather is getting hotter, otherwise they run around the back yard like crazy things lol.

Hazel - you surely know how to take REALLY good care of your animals! I'd keep my animals in, too, if we had venomous snakes in the area - as they are natural snake-hunters (or any small-thing hunters). We have no such snakes where I live, so we're lucky! But I do have a very securely-fenced yard, medium-size, and my dog-door leads into that yard.

Condolences on the loss of Freddie - I'm SO sorry to hear of that.

Here in Canada we have both Indoor Dogs and Outdoor Dogs. I prefer the Indoor, myself; I think it's best for the dogs - of any size! A possible exception would be Livestock Guardian Dogs, who seem to thrive outdoors, but they also can use plenty of human attention!

Keep us posted on how Nitro is doing!

Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:11:50

eyelostit
10-22-2008, 10:31 PM
I have a question that I hope NEVER happens- one of the vets said that IF Nitro ever goes into diabetic shock to rub glucose syrup or honey on his gums, has anyone ever had to do this or can anyone offer any alternatives to use?

Niki went into shock 5 yrs ago, she started having a seizure in which her body was jerking all over, I poured maple syrup in a bowl, then dipped my finger into it, rubbed gently on her gums and you could see the seizure was starting to quit, once she quit the jerking i let her lick about 2 tablespoons of syrup and then gave her food, at the time i was not home testing her BG, so its a good idea to start doing this with that 1st year of diagnosis or any time.

Your can use maple syrup or corn syrup.

We Hope
10-22-2008, 11:32 PM
Hazel,

Some people keep those small tubes of cake frosting/icing (any but chocolate will be fine)--the kind you use to write "Happy Birthday" on a cake with--for times like this. You can just squirt the icing either on Nitro's gums or under his tongue.

http://admin.webstorepackage.com/signature/VirtualWeb/images/CM_Pink_Gel_6-6-07.jpg

You can put one in your pocket or purse when you go out with Nitro and always be ready, just in case.

Kathy

forscooter
10-23-2008, 04:51 AM
Hi,

I'm a human diabetic and I thought I would just throw this out there. You asked about an alternative to the honey or glucose syrup for low blood sugar reactions....so I did do some research. I was curious to see if the same thing people use could be used in dogs. It can.

First, the syrup being rubbed on the gums and the small frosting tubes are great ways to bring about an elevation in blood sugar....and they are relatively inexpensive.

However, if you are looking for an alternative, another option would be (although expensive at an average of $100 per kit) a glucagon emergency kit. I carry one on me at all times, and I did see where you can discuss this with your vet for use in dogs too. It comes as a pre-filled syringe with a vial of powder. You mix the solution in the syringe with the powder, refill the syringe and give the injection. It is very effective and works quickly. Although not for everyone, I think, bc of the cost, it may be worth it for dogs who have severe and prolonged low blood sugar reactions or are at high risk for one.

Hope this helps! Beth, Scooter and Bailey

Denise
10-23-2008, 06:37 AM
In Walmart the other day I saw a product I'd not seen before, it was a spray for hypos. I didn't read the package but assumed it wasn't flavored, well. sugar flavored maybe? I thought how handy this would be. I have the gel sold in the diabetic section at WalMart but it's grape, orange or fruit punch flavors and I think dogs would prefer cake icing! I would!!!! : )

eyelostit
10-23-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm gonna have to look for that spray, no doubt it is right in the aisle where you pick up the rx's cause all the DB supplies are there, then i won't have to worry about the syrup or honey leaking in my purse.:)

AlisonandMia
10-25-2008, 05:54 PM
I don't have the problem of having to carry around a potentially sticky "rescue sugar" supply for a diabetic but I do carry around other things that I wouldn't want leaking all over the place and I use something like this: http://www.letravelstore.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/co-nalgenebottlekit.jpg (the ones I'm thinking about are the flip-top ones)

With something sticky I'd probably want to put the bottle in a zip-lock bag for added security although I've never had one leak. I have used one for carrying maple syrup on a picnic. The only real problem is that you MUST remember to shut the lid properly after using it!

Here in Australia we can get bottles like this for around $2.50 for a packet of about 5 or so of various sizes from discounts stores. You can find them in places like K-Mart but will have to pay 4 or 5 times as much for the same thing there. No doubt specialty camping stores will sell them to you for considerably more than that!

Alison

Nitro's Mum
10-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi everyone thanks for your advice, as for Nitro at the moment He's having the ACTH test on Tuesday and will have the blood test for his diabetes as well, well this will happen IF the vet doesn't tell me that he's now blind in his remaining eye, he's also losing so much weight last weigh-in was 18.3 kg the average male staffy is 20-25 kg, he also has a very concerning "shadow" between his lung and heart, they think it's cancer so I don't want Nitro to suffer anymore so IF I get told about him being blind etc I'll have him put down, he's been through 2 much in the past few months. It'll be the hardest decision ever but I want what's best for him.

So this will probably be my last or second last post unless I'll still be welcomed after he's gone. He's also got a lot of weakness in his legs and muscle wasting, he doesn't look like my big boy anymore so I think it's time to say goodbye to my best friend of 11.5 years. I wil let you know the results after Tuesday.

k9diabetes
10-26-2008, 01:00 AM
Hi Hazel,

I'm sorry to hear that things are getting critical with Nitro. I sure hope you get good news on Tuesday! It is so hard when multiple problems pile up. Our dog had diabetes and pretty severe heart disease but it was ultimately cancer that did him in.

You are welcome here always... I sure hope it is with Nitro with you.

Natalie

eyelostit
10-27-2008, 03:44 AM
Aw, your always welcome,:) I hope you get better news this week. Seems our Diabetic, Cushings dogs get all these complications, some the doggies can handle, some we can handle. We all do what we think is the best for our pet, it gets so hard at times.

Take care

Cara's Mom
10-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Hazel, I am so sorry Nitro is doing poorly! Sure hope you will get some good news to-morrow!
My thoughts are with you and Nitro.

We Hope
10-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Hazel,

Thoughts and prayers that things start looking up for both you and Nitro!

Kathy

Nitro's Mum
10-28-2008, 06:17 PM
I just want to let you all know that My boy Nitro was put to sleep yesterday 28/10 at 10.33 am, he was very thin and weak and had no muscle mass and had trouble standing and had a cataract in his eye which made it impossible for him since he only had 1 eye. He had a few other problems as well.

The vets said it was the right thing to do considering all his problems, I was with him the whole time and stayed until the car from the pet crematorium cam to take him away, he will be cremated today and returned to me tomorrow(Thursday) or on Friday.

My heart has been shattered, I miss him SO much, I haven't stopped crying since Sunday when I made the decision.

Please don't look down on me for getting him put to sleep, I did what was best for him. I know that some people are totally against it that's why I put this part in.

Thank You all for making me feel welcome here, I really appreciate it.:(

We Hope
10-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Hazel,

I am so sorry that you had to lose your Nitro!

I think that most to all of us have found ourselves in the same position with one of our animals or another. When there's simply no way to help them, we owe it to them to make sure there is no suffering.

I sure didn't want to lose Lucky--but we had no way to make his very old, worn-out body young again.

Please know that no one here is looking down on you for making the right decision for Nitro--and also that you are ALWAYS welcome here!

Kathy

... if he wakes in Your arms...
by R. A. S.

I can hardly see through my tears... today I sent my best friend of years
and years somewhere he had to go, where pain and sickness he won't have to know.
He's been with me ever since he was a pup... today I've had to give him up.
He was sick, we both knew it and I wouldn't put him through it.

Thinking back to the day my wife brought him, I told her then that I didn't want him...
"Noise and mess and bills to pay!" - I can't believe I felt that way.
Didn't know that in the end, he would be my dearest friend.
Didn't know that he would be the greatest gift that came to me.

How did one like me deserve a friend who wanted just to serve?
What was there that made him love me, with nobody else above me?
When I looked into his eyes, never did he criticize,
never did he hold a grudge, never did he try to judge.

Recently, an anxious day. "How come you don't want to play?"
Took him to the vet to see what might be wrong with my "puppy".
Worse by far than I expected, fatal illness was detected.
Nothing much that we could do but keep him comfy til he's through.

Back at home I tried to tell him of the bad luck that befell him
All I could see in his eyes was wondering why his master cries.
I don't think he understood - his eyes just asked "Wasn't I good?"
"How come now I make you sad? Let me kiss and hug you, dad!"

Two last weeks I had to try to find a way to say goodbye.
In that time I told him more than I ever had before
just how much I loved my pup, how it hurt to give him up.
How though gone, he'd always be inside my heart, a part of me.

Then today was no mistaking, I made the decision, my heart was breaking.
I called and asked the vet to come by - I didn't have to tell him why.
He arrived in awhile and asked "Are you ready?" I sighed, I nodded, I felt so unsteady.
Got down on the floor by my boy who was dying, and I just didn't care if the vet saw me crying.

As my pup slipped away, the last things he felt were the kisses and hugs of his master who knelt
On that "blankie" beside him to bid him goodbye, who had just one more minute to tell him, to try
to say thanks to his boy for a lifetime of love.... "Dear God, let me see him in heaven above!
But for now Lord, please hold him, watch over his rest... if he wakes in Your arms tell him I love him best."

Please keep this poem in its entirety and attribute it to the author if you download it and use it in any way. Thank you.
Copyright 1996 by R. A. S.

eyelostit
10-28-2008, 09:16 PM
I am so sorry, I know how hard that decision was.

take care

Cara's Mom
10-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Hazel,

I am so sorry that you had to make this difficult decision, but you did right. We all have gone through this and we feel your pain.
Our thoughts are with you.

God's speed, Nitro.

k9diabetes
10-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Hazel,

Almost exactly three months ago we had to make the same decision. Chris had beaten back severe heart disease but couldn't beat back cancer. We were thankful that he wasn't in agonizing pain but there was also no quality of life left for him. Like Nitro, Chris was weak, couldn't stand, didn't want to eat... and we knew that the cancer would only get worse.

It was the right decision for Chris and the right decision for Nitro... I don't think anyone here has been spared making that difficult decision so we understand, not only why you made the decision but the pain of making it and the pain of losing your best friend... even when you're doing what's right, it feels horrible. But you owe them that respect.

Godspeed to Nitro, who weathered a lot in his life. He was such a handsome guy.

Natalie

bgdavis
10-29-2008, 06:48 AM
Hazel,

I'm deeply sorry that you were faced, first with having to make that awful decision to let Nitro go, and then, having to face the grief. It's a decision I've been faced with several times in the past and it is never an easy one.

We all know that you loved Nitro and treated him with respect and kindness. He will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge and will be overjoyed to be in your arms again.

Bonnie and Crissy

rhodesian46
10-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi Hazel,
I am sorry for the loss of Nitro. We are not hear to judge your decision. You did what was best for Nitro As you know already I made that same choice a week ago today. Don't second guess yourself. You know your dog. It is hard Hard because we miss them Hard because our heart is ripped out of us. Hard because we loved them and they loved us back. Hard because they can't talk and tell us how they feel. I am so sorry that you had to go through this. It will get better in time. I am still grieving my Pebbles. If you would need to talk asit helps to talk to people who have had to make this choice feel free to pm
Marianne and my angel Pebbles

ladysmom06
10-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Hazel,

I am so very sorry for your loss of Nitro. No one here looks down on you - you made the right decision for Nitro. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. My deepest sympathy.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

Glenda12
10-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Hazel,

My heart goes out to you for your loss. Your boy was very beautiful and your decision, even though painful, was made because you loved him and couldn't see him suffer. He will be looked after and frolicking across the bridge along with the others that have gone before him. Awaiting the day you can be together again.

God Speed Nitro, wear your wings proudly.

CarolW
10-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Dear Hazel,

I'm sure, deep in your heart, you know you did right by Nitro, to help him on his journey so he wouldn't suffer unnecessarily.

Keep that huge hole in your heart open, because Nitro will come back and talk to you when you least expect it.

Our dogs we send on their journeys are the Predecessors; they come back and talk to us if we will listen, and all our remaining companions, and those who come after, are the Successors - the beneficiaries of all the Predecessors teach.

Stay with us, Hazel, do!

With love, hugs, and deepest sympathy,
Wed, 29 Oct 2008 21:47:53

Mickey'sMom
10-30-2008, 07:15 AM
God speed Nitro,,,,,,,

Dollydog
10-30-2008, 01:34 PM
Hazel,
I'm sorry for the loss of Nitro...only we know when it's time for our doggies to cross the Bridge. Sometimes we're fortunate enough that the decision is made for us...they slip away in their sleep. But most of the time we have to make the decision. It's such a cruel irony but you were brave enough to do that for him.
Please take good care of yourself at this time,
((HUGS))
Jo-Ann & Lady

bowens2
11-05-2008, 07:13 AM
That is so sad. Only you can really tell the right time and make that decision. Sounds like Nitro had a lot of serious problems.

Praying for you

Denise
11-05-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Making that decision is the right thing when it comes from your heart. Sometimes it's very hard to listen to your heart though.

Only "we" know when it's time. We live with them, we have seen what is going on and we evaluate the situation as best we can and show them one final act of love....letting them go.

Run Nitro!!! Eat all the treats the angels offer you and enjoy meeting all our passed loved ones!!!

Nitro's Mum
11-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Tuesday was the first week since I let him go so it was a really hard day then Wednesday I had to go into the pet hospital to pay off the bill(i don't have credit card so I couldn't do it that way), it took me awhile before I could actually enter the building but I eventually did it.

I'm slowly getting there but it's just so hard, then tomorrow(Saturday) it's bathy bath day( that's what we call it) and for the first time in 11 years Nitro won't be there to have it, so I'm not sure how I'll go taking Mia out by herself, I might get my sister to do it until I feel like I can cope-just seeing the bath and the treat container- he liked to help himself to the treats in the dog washers container) is likely to set me off again and Petra(dog washer) as well as she lot her girl dog Gemma about a month ago after she was hit by a car.

k9diabetes
11-06-2008, 08:05 PM
So many rituals and routines... we struggled the most with just coming home. No one to greet us as Chris was our only dog. Didn't want to stay home cuz it was so quiet and lonely, didn't want to go out without him, hated coming back to a house without him. I think it's especially hard with diabetic dogs as there are so many rituals and regimens and things to check...

What I find weird about having Jack here is that I know so little about him. After five years of diabetes with Chris, I knew everything about that dog...

I'm glad you came by today just to share that. I know it doesn't really help but I hope it's good to have a place to talk where everyone truly understands.

Natalie

eyelostit
11-06-2008, 09:14 PM
I know how you feel its so hard, I had 4 dogs now I just have Niki. I have Niki but i still feel emptiness.

I had to laugh a bathey, cause thats what i say when i get a bath, "gonna take my bathy now":)