Wondering--Pituitary macroadenoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wondering--Pituitary macroadenoma

While reading about Marianne's Pebbles, and the link to the tumor, when Chief died my vet had said no doubt he had a tumor, I wonder being he had cushings for 4 yrs and those nosebleeds started in that 4th year and got worse that the tumor must of caused the nosebleeds, looking at that picture on that site it was right above the nasal passage.

I just did a search and apparently humans get nosebleeds from this after getting cushings, so I guess that is what happened with my Chief.

I never really looked into the nosebleeds until now.
    Last edited by eyelostit; 10-27-2008, 02:34 AM.
    Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Re: Wondering--Pituitary macroadenoma

If you look at the link they point to where the tumor is It looks like it is between the eyes. I wonder if Pebbles Horners Eye syndrome( 3rd eyelid retracting) was a part of this picture. It did retract back though I will ask Dr Stone about the nosebleeds and the eye syndrom. So any questions I have
    Marianne and canines: Jasmine( diabetic since 4/10) Puma,Harley,Sebastian,Sophie and cats: Yoda,Sabrina and Cleo. Also Baby Boy (my cockatiel) & Angel Pebbles

Comment

Thanks, it may have caused the eyelid problem, and my chiefs nosebleeds.

You take care, I've been thinking about you.
      Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

We may never got any answers as to why things happen. For some reason the doctors don't tell you that there is 2 types of pituitary cushings. I never knew that as I just concentrated on her diabetes and her Trilostane. Made sure I did all the stim tests that I needed to do for Pebbles. If I remember to ask I will question Dr Stone as far as the nosebleeds. Also Pebbles had been tripping on her front paw Kinda like their was something in the road. This occurred 1 1/2 years ago It didn't occur every day I attributed it to higher Bgs. My incompetent vet said it was arthritis and put her on Rimadyl It had gone away for the past few months I noticed that she tripped on the same side 2 weeks ago. It was dark when we walked so again I thought she wasn't looking where she stepped. I bet you it was neurological. ANd I bet the nosebleeds that Chief had had to do with the Macro Tumor
        Marianne and canines: Jasmine( diabetic since 4/10) Puma,Harley,Sebastian,Sophie and cats: Yoda,Sabrina and Cleo. Also Baby Boy (my cockatiel) & Angel Pebbles

Comment

With Chief and I know everyone will think i am nuts, first thing that happened to him was the panting, we go to vet, she takes blood and finds nothing, I thought for sure he was gonna be diabetic. Anyway same day after vet we go to McDonalds for a hamburger, i walk him, and he goes and i see tapeworms, so i call back the vet, go back to the vet and get the med's for that, right after that he gets cushings.

So we try the ketoconazle Chief is completely sorta knocked out, this had me in tears, i read up on the disease scarey as you know, being Chief was a manly type dog, he always kept to himself and always wanted to be outside except in hot weather. I did go to the cushings site back then, I really was afraid of the medicine plus the vet said being he was 11 at the time it was not a good idea, so in my mind I had him pictured as being sick during this process and could not do it, plus the fact of how expensive the drug was with no guarantee's and then he'd have to take the same hormone cortisol after that, so i made the decision not to treat it which I imagine alot of us do.

He was a happy dog, he was panting and constantly wanted to eat, but he still was running around going for his walks, laying out in the snow, rolling on his back like a baby, he did not appear sick to me other than the panting, back in Apr when we went to the vet, she could not get over how well he was doing and did not expect him to live for a year, so he lived for 4 yrs with the illness, during that time the arthristus kicked in bad and he did not want to come up the steps, i knew it was only a matter of time, in the final 1 1/2 yrs the cough started and finally 6 mo before he crossed the bridge the nosebleeds started, a small one i only noticed it cause he only seemed to bleed when he put his head down to drink and the water was pinkish. then 2nd time a little worse, 3rd time getting bad but it quit, then finally it was horrible and that was it.

Well I guess i got off topic a bit cause of Pebbles and Chief having cushings plus i still think about him its been 4 mo. now. I guess its good to just write about it, I'll never understand why the dogs gets these diseases and not enough research is done to find why it is happenind, of course I blame the dogfood companies.

Comment

This link was posted on the Cushings forum PLease read as this offers more answers to the large tumors
            http://www.compendiumequine.com/Medi...V_30_01_33.pdf
            Last edited by rhodesian46; 11-01-2008, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks Marianne

Comment

Looking at those pictures made me wonder, especially where those tumors are located.

2 yrs ago, I noticed some blood on Chiefs head it was right there between the ear and down a bit lower towards the nose, as I looked at it, his skin was split open and i could see what I thought was muscle, so we went to the vet, what she told me was it was an infection and so they had shaved the area and gave me antibiotics and some gel for the spot, what i thought was muscle was infection under the skin as i noticed after he was shaved i could not believe how deep there skin goes below the hide.

Wonder now if he had a headache? Course I am always wondering about something with the dogs.

Comment

Working...
                X