PDA

View Full Version : Allergy Meds

Patty
05-04-2012, 11:43 AM
I'd like to start Ali back on an antihistamine. I think we've tried most of them and Benadryl's worked the best for us, though it's definitely not a magic bullet.

Sandy's post in Hanks thread about Chlortab got me thinking about trying something new this year again. http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2999

I know antihistamines aren't very reliable in dogs and each one responds differently. But I'd love to hear what's worked best for your dog and the symptoms it treated.

Thanks!
Patty

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom
05-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Zrytec has been working GREAT for Sydsta!

Patty
05-04-2012, 07:28 PM
What's her dose Tami for her weight?

Shellie
05-04-2012, 07:31 PM
I think I'm going to make a list and keep that around. I'd love to have a simple pill to use for Hank and his allergies. SOMETHING has to work.

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom
05-05-2012, 03:37 AM
What's her dose Tami for her weight?

Hi Patty - Syd is about 48 pounds, Soaphie about 65. They each get 2 zrytecs in the a.m. We ran out a couple days ago - and it they missed 2 days of allergy meds....last night I noticed Syd had been licking her hip and chewed a spot hairless. Thankfully I had already "restocked" so they were back on the meds....

Works for them - hopefully it works for Ali!!!! Might take a few days to see a difference at the start...

Patty
05-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks Tami.

Ali was rubbing her head into her pillow like crazy tonight. We usually don't get that type of response until Aug-Sept. I gave her 25mg Benadryl tonight just because its what I had on hand. But am looking into using something else this year....maybe the Zyrtec or Chlortab.

Patty

farrwf
05-06-2012, 03:58 AM
Thanks Tami.

Ali was rubbing her head into her pillow like crazy tonight. We usually don't get that type of response until Aug-Sept. I gave her 25mg Benadryl tonight just because its what I had on hand. But am looking into using something else this year....maybe the Zyrtec or Chlortab.

Patty

I alternate between ChlorTabs and Benedryl with Otis.

Walmart Equate Chlortabs are $2.76 / 100. Costco brand of generic benydryl is 4.95 / 600.

CarolW
05-06-2012, 05:36 PM
I'll have to look up Zyrtec. My vet gave me a list of three to try (and/or alternate).

1) Cetirizine hydrochloride (brand name Reactine); at a does of 7.5 mg daily - or even twice daily if needed (which, unfortunately, she does).

I've just put her back on that after a long haul with Benadryl - up to 40 mg three times daily - and she's been on a caplet and a half of 25 mg caplets, three times daily - 37.5 mg). The Benadryl, so far, seems to work best for Camellia, whose allergies are environmental; she's missing the normal skin barrier that moisturizes - hydrates - the skin - it's made up of phytosphingosines and other stuff. Without the barrier, the allergies can get in, so she's on DOUXO calming shampoo and spray, with weekly baths, and twice-weekly spraying.

The Reactine doesn't work quite as well as the Benadryl.

2)Chlorpheniramine - known here in Canada as Chlortripolon (brand name), or, Novo-Pheniram, in its generic version. This didn't do much for Camellia at all, with the prescribed dose of 2 mg (half a 4 mg tablet), three times daily. I tried her on it for a few days, and then moved to Benadryl, when it didn't seem to work well at all.

3) The famed Benadryl (diphenhydramine) - I get it in 25 mg caplets, and give a caplet and a half three times daily, as mentioned above.

(I'm writing this off-the-cuff; hope I got all the names right!)

Sun, 6 May 2012 17:36:34 (PDT)

Patty
05-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Thanks Bill!

I'll have to look up Zyrtec. My vet gave me a list of three to try (and/or alternate).

1) Cetirizine hydrochloride (brand name Reactine); at a does of 7.5 mg daily - or even twice daily if needed (which, unfortunately, she does).

Carol,
Zyrtec in the states is Cetirizine HCl 10 mg so must be equivalent to your Reactine.

CarolW
05-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks Bill!

Carol,
Zyrtec in the states is Cetirizine HCl 10 mg so must be equivalent to your Reactine.

Interesting; indeed, that seems right to me! Thanks for the info! A lot of vets appear to like this antihistamine. Mine does.

Love and hugs, with special greetings to Ali!
Sun, 6 May 2012 19:31:20 (PDT)

farrwf
05-08-2012, 05:09 AM
Thanks Tami.

Patty

Patty,

The dog dose for Benadryl is 1 mg / lb. At Ali's weight that would be ~50mg / 2 pills. You may want to double up and see if that helps.

The dogs seem to develop a tolerance to a specific antihistamine with regular usage.

I have a neighbor with some westies who develop pretty severe and predictable allergies during certain seasons. A few years back one of them who had been given Benadryl for quite a while began to experience no relief from it after a couple of months. She switched to ChlorTab and it was immediately effective in reducing the scratching and gnawing at the paws.

This is why I keep both on hand for Otis. Seems when one of them appears to be losing its effectiveness, the other one will help him.

Of course, what really works well is Prednisone, but we sure don't want to go there unless absolutely necessary.

Patty
05-08-2012, 05:51 AM
Thanks Bill,
For some reason the last couple of years Ali's done better when I add it in slowly. I've been starting with 25mg in her 2nd meals then increasing to all 4 meals then finally going up to 50mg.

I had the Benadryl on hand from last year around Oct so thought I'd start with it, but I'm thinking the Chlortab might be worth trying as the season progresses.

How long to you keep Otis on an antihistamine before rotating the type?

Patty

farrwf
05-08-2012, 07:22 AM
I'm thinking the Chlortab might be worth trying as the season progresses.

How long to you keep Otis on an antihistamine before rotating the type?

Patty

No harm in trying the ChlorTab.

No set period. Just until the one I'm using appears to be losing its effectivenes.

SandyL
05-25-2012, 08:10 PM
I've come to the conclusion that Tiggy MUST be allergic to her Frontline :(. She's been doing great with the itching all winter and into our spring with the Chlortabs...... I actually thought they might be the magic bullet I was looking for

Gave Tiggy her frontline at the beginning of the month and within 3 days she started itching and chewing like crazy!! Guess I'm gonna switch over to Zyrtec starting tomorrow and see if that will settle things down somewhat. Next month
I'll switch to advantix and see if that makes a difference. Poor little girl is sooo pitiful and her skin crawls at the slightest touch :(. I HATE these allergies!!

Sandy

Fishslayer
05-25-2012, 09:52 PM
I alternate between ChlorTabs and Benedryl with Otis.

Walmart Equate Chlortabs are $2.76 / 100. Costco brand of generic benydryl is 4.95 / 600.

I've been paying $4/100 for WalMart generic Benedryl.:eek:

Definitely will look into the Costco.

Naturally I just picked up 300 capsules...:rolleyes:

Patty
05-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Oh Sandy. How miserable. Let us know how the switch goes to Zyrtec and Advantix.

Rick, I agree. Bill's found quite the savings there! I've never had a Costco close enough to make a membership worth while until here and just haven't signed up. Some of their prices would make it well worth it though.

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom
05-26-2012, 11:05 AM
I've come to the conclusion that Tiggy MUST be allergic to her Frontline :(. She's been doing great with the itching all winter and into our spring with the Chlortabs...... I actually thought they might be the magic bullet I was looking for

Gave Tiggy her frontline at the beginning of the month and within 3 days she started itching and chewing like crazy!! Guess I'm gonna switch over to Zyrtec starting tomorrow and see if that will settle things down somewhat. Next month
I'll switch to advantix and see if that makes a difference. Poor little girl is sooo pitiful and her skin crawls at the slightest touch :(. I HATE these allergies!!

Sandy

Did this happen in past seasons with Frontline or something that just happened now? I ask because I'm trying to figure out Sydney's latest bought of allergies - started a few days after frontline application and has been horrendous. We just finished our 2nd lime/sulfur dip last week and have one more to do this coming week - but then it's the first of the month again and time for frontline. Not quite sure what to do...it could be that she suddenly developed an allergy to that, could be other allergies flaring up, blah blah blah....who knows :(

eileen
05-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Just a thought....

Might want to consider the source from which you purchased the Frontline.

Online suppliers as well as stores can sometimes get a hold of counterfeit products, they may appear to be the same, but are not.

Might want to be sure the Frontline is purchased thru your vet so that you know it came directly from the manufacturer.

Judi
05-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Sandy & Tami: I'm so sorry your dogs are so miserable. Even though the ticks are bad up here this year. Since my dogs are mostly indoors I haven't given them anything.

SandyL
05-26-2012, 05:56 PM
Tami.... When I sit back and think, the exact same thing happened last year as well!!:eek: she was fine all winter.... No frontline.

I've purchased it at both the vets and at pet club... Same reaction with both :(

In a couple weeks, we're going with advantix

Sandy

Shellie
06-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Question on the allergy meds....the chlor tabs..is that chlortrimaton? And if so...do I need a prescription for it? And what about dosage? Hank's started on his itchies and bleh!

eileen
06-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Question on the allergy meds....the chlor tabs..is that chlortrimaton? And if so...do I need a prescription for it? And what about dosage? Hank's started on his itchies and bleh!

Chlor tabs available over the counter in pharmacies.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Chlortabs-Tablets-Antihistamine/14053323

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=42556

antihistimine dosage for dog;

http://www.tinapham.com/romeo/antihistamines.pdf

(will have to copy and paste)

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom
06-04-2012, 05:08 AM
Tami.... When I sit back and think, the exact same thing happened last year as well!!:eek: she was fine all winter.... No frontline.

I've purchased it at both the vets and at pet club... Same reaction with both :(

In a couple weeks, we're going with advantix

Sandy

Sandy - this month we switch Sydney to Comfortis (flea medicine - not tick). Hope it works....

Shellie
06-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks, Eileen...got to get the little itchy booger started. What I wouldnt' give for a non-itchy puppy! Do they even make those? LOL

eileen
06-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks, Eileen...got to get the little itchy booger started. What I wouldnt' give for a non-itchy puppy! Do they even make those? LOL

Mildred too had alot of skin issues for a very long time, it wasn't until her vet put her on Pentoxifylinne that she then found relief.

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vetmed/Medicine/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/433714

Sure hope you find something soon for Hank.

SandyL
06-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Mildred too had alot of skin issues for a very long time, it wasn't until her vet put her on Pentoxifylinne that she then found relief.

http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/vetmed/Medicine/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/433714

Sure hope you find something soon for Hank.

Eileen, This didn't mess with her BG? If not than I think we'll see about getting some for Tiggy..........although the frontline seems to really be wearing off OR the Zyrtec is really working??

Sandy

eileen
06-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Eileen, This didn't mess with her BG? If not than I think we'll see about getting some for Tiggy..........although the frontline seems to really be wearing off OR the Zyrtec is really working??

Sandy

Sandy,

I'm afraid I can't answer that....at the time when Mildred was on this medication was also about the same time as when she was dx with bladder cancer and put on a handful of other meds as well.
Between all of that along with a waivering appetite her glucose levels were all over the charts.

It is a medication that can be purchased by prescription thru a pharmacy, I bought Mil's at Walmart...can't remember how much I paid and have her charts packed away but do not recall it being extra expensive.

It's just horrible watching them suffer with the 'itchies', as if contending with the diabetes is not enough.
Glad to see the Zyrtec might be your answer...for now anyway.

Patty
08-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Those of you who have used Chlor-tabs, what was the dose for the weight of your dog?

Vet wrote out instructions for half to one 4mg tab twice a day. But Eileen's link posted earlier would have her at 2 1/2 tabs twice a day http://tinapham.com/romeo/antihistamines.pdf

Patty
08-07-2012, 05:21 PM
This is from the Merck Manual:
Chlorpheniramine is a first-generation propylamine-derivative antihistamine. Oral absorption of chlorpheniramine in dogs is rapid and complete, reaching peak plasma concentrations in 30-60 min. Chlorpheniramine maleate undergoes substantial first-pass effect. Chlorpheniramine and its metabolites are primarily excreted in urine. The recommended dose in cats and dogs is 1-2 mg and 2-8 mg respectively, PO, bid-tid. Mild clinical signs such as depression and GI upset have been reported for dosages <1 mg/kg. Significant clinical signs such as ataxia, tremors, depression or hyperactivity, hyperthermia, and seizures may be seen within 6 hr of ingestion of large amounts.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/214004.htm

Chlorpheniramine is dosed for dogs at 4 to 8 mg (max 0.5 mg/kg) two times per day.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/chlorpheniramine-maleate-chlor-trimeton/page1.aspx

What do the ophthomologists use for those with glaucoma - curious about those like Annie and Ed

BestBuddy
08-08-2012, 12:42 AM
This is from an Aussie site so some names may differ but the dosage for the Chlorpheniramine can vary quite a bit.

http://www.ingleburnvet.com.au/antihistamines.htm

Jenny

Patty
08-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks Jenny. 0.4mg/kg (Ali's about 21.4kg) would put her at 8.56mg or about 2 tabs twice a day.

Shellie
08-12-2012, 12:19 PM
I've got Hank on one 4mg tab twice a day. Seems to be working about average...not completely keeping him from being itchy but enough so that he's not continually scratching.