PDA

View Full Version : WalMart Humulin N changing to Novolon?

spiritdog6
08-31-2012, 02:59 AM
I may have missed the announcement here, so kindly show me where I can find it here.

I went to Wal Mart yesterday to get a bottle of Humulin N. They no longer carry it and say Wal Mart is changing the name to Novolon (sp??) but they don't know when it will be in the store.

Can anyone update me on what this all means?

Sadly I had to go to another store and pay an outrageous price for Humulin N.

I haven't been around much, as life took quite a turn recently. My apologies if this is "old news" but it isn't for me!

Rubytuesday
08-31-2012, 04:03 AM
No, not old news. It has been posted by a couple of people that they have been in the same situation. Craig started a thread "Relion Insulin" for it just Because it seems to be coming up more often.

spiritdog6
08-31-2012, 04:19 AM
Thanks Ruby I looked at that thread but that is ReliOn R and N, not what we use Humulin N.

Seems WalMart is changing both of them???

It was over triple monies I had to pay for a bottle of Humulin N yesterday. I can't afford that for very long at all. $85 for one bottle.

SandyL
08-31-2012, 04:57 AM
Thanks Ruby I looked at that thread but that is ReliOn R and N, not what we use Humulin N.

The Relion N.....IS Humulin N..... What most people on here use

Sandy

Rubytuesday
08-31-2012, 05:00 AM
Relion N is Humilin N. I just checked my bottle and it says Humilin N on it. They just package it under the Relion brand name for walmart.
If you have your old bottle of insulin that you have been getting from walmart you may see the Relion name on there, on the box it was pretty small, but Humilin N was printed in big letters.

spiritdog6
08-31-2012, 05:06 AM
You are both right, in tiny letters I see ReliOn on the box, never noticed it before.

So what is the "scoop" with the new Novolin brand that Wal Mart says is "coming"? Anyone know?

Rubytuesday
08-31-2012, 05:22 AM
You could post to them at the walmart Facebook page.

farrwf
08-31-2012, 05:42 AM
Bought a vial yesterday. No shortage here and the pharmacists weren't aware of any problems or a supplier change???

From what I saw yesterday on Facebook, it seemed to be east coast / mid Atlantic states where the outages were ... NY, PA, MD, VA ...
???????????????????????

farrwf
08-31-2012, 06:04 AM
You could post to them at the walmart Facebook page.

Actually, it's the "ReliOn" Facebook page.

CraigM
08-31-2012, 07:51 AM
If it's true that Walmart is switching their ReliOn branded insulin from Humulin to Novolin, it really isn't a big deal. Apparently, Walmart / ReliOn has two of the biggest producers of insulin bid on a contract to sell their insulin. For about the past two years Eli Lilly had the contract with their Humulin insulins. Prior to that, we were getting Novolin insulins that were produced by Novo Nordisk. Both companies make quality NPH, as well as other insulins.

We had a minor panic two years ago when Walmart went from Novolin to Humulin, but I believe everyone made the switch without a problem. The formula might have some very minor differences, but if I'm remembering correctly, Annie's dosage remained the same. Of course, it might be prudent to make a slight reduction for the first shot or two just to be sure your dog reacts the same on Novolin-N as on Humulin-N.

Just hope the stores get restocked with either soon, and at a good price.

eileen
08-31-2012, 08:11 AM
For most it did not matter whether using Humulin N or Novolin N tho I personally know of 3 avid blood testers where it did matter and had to buy the more expensive Novolin N.

jesse girl
08-31-2012, 08:23 AM
i think the biggest problem is the lack of information and with that people tend to make up there own stories . you must remember humans use this insulin also and in larger quantities and just the word shortage can empty the shelves

i bought 3 vials yesterday just for back up and if you need insulin today and there is no more relion then you might have to purchase at a higher price this time around i was fortunate i could get it at sams club and they let me purchase without a card

many times when not much information is given they do it so not to induce panic so it maybe prudent to get an extra vial if available which really is a good idea anyway just for back up

as craig said last time around it took care of itself fairly quick we had to wait maybe 2 weeks till the change was complete and the shelves were stocked in my area . we do depend on this price and type of insulin but if i had to i would cancel my tv to buy insulin for jesse

CraigM
08-31-2012, 08:34 AM
we do depend on this price and type of insulin but if i had to i would cancel my tv to buy insulin for jesse

:D Annie would NEVER allow us to cancel cable TV. How could she watch ANIMAL PLANET?!:D

spiritdog6
09-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Well I am in OR, west coast and my Wal Mart is out of Humulin N.

I wrote Wal Marts FB and all they wrote back was that I could order online. I don't think they actually read what I wrote.

I'll try ReliOn FB.

Dany
09-01-2012, 01:22 PM
In los angeles area I just went to one walmart they already have the novolon relion n and it sells for $17 a bottle so less than humilin... however my other walmart still has humilin so going to get that for $25 a bottle instead until we have to switch.

CraigM
09-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Wow! $17 is a great price.

jesse girl
09-01-2012, 03:38 PM
maybe i should have not bought 3 of the humilin brand that is a great price

CraigM
09-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Here is a chart comparing insulins that had been on the ReliOn site a few years ago. The chart indicates there might be some minor differences between the Humulin-N and Novolin-N. I don't recall anything major when we changed from Novolin to Humulin two years ago, but I'll probably back off about 10% on the dosage and run additional tests for a few days when I switch over to Novolin.

Shellie
09-03-2012, 11:03 PM
:D Annie would NEVER allow us to cancel cable TV. How could she watch ANIMAL PLANET?!:D

I wonder who rules the roost at Craig's house? :rolleyes:

Kat Negron
09-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks for posting the chart, Craig. This change might actually be a good way to curb Gigi's spikes if the Novolin begins to act a little faster than the Humulin. Might have been a blessing in disguise!

Patty
09-04-2012, 07:00 PM
When we switched to Novolin from Humulin N, I noticed a slight change in Ali's patterns. It does seem to kick in faster for us and her pattern was a bit flatter then.

But Ali's sensitive to the slightest things and we also have a lot of variables on our table even in the best of times. ;)

jim maceri
09-05-2012, 07:19 AM
I asked the pharmacist at my walmart and he knew nothing of the change but said that doesn't mean it won't happen. Anyway, I bought 4 bottles since they had 15 on hand.

eileen
09-05-2012, 07:27 AM
I asked the pharmacist at my walmart and he knew nothing of the change but said that doesn't mean it won't happen. Anyway, I bought 4 bottles since they had 15 on hand.

Jim, that means little as back in 2010 when Walmart was in the process of switching from Novolin to Humulin I asked a pharmacist the very same question....he too said that he knew nothing of this news.

I believe I bought about 10 vials of the Novolin N because I didn't want to deal with any possible changes with the switch to Humulin N.
I put off the change over for about a year.

Patty
09-05-2012, 10:27 AM
I called Walmart here today. One said they are switching but not until "later this year." I think they just don't have it yet and aren't very well informed. So I called another close by and they said they have the Relion Novolin in stock now and price is $17.60 pre-tax.

CraigM
09-05-2012, 10:40 AM
So I called another close by and they said they have the Relion Novolin in stock now and price is $17.60 pre-tax.

:D Wonder what the true price is? I mentioned in another thread yesterday that my local Walmart told me it (Novolin-N) was a little under $25. $17.60 would be great. If my local store was selling it for that price I'd be tempted to buy 3-4 vials! I just might drive over this afternoon, but I still have an unopened Humulin-N vial.

farrwf
09-05-2012, 10:46 AM
I called Walmart here today. One said they are switching but not until "later this year." I think they just don't have it yet and aren't very well informed. So I called another close by and they said they have the Relion Novolin in stock now and price is $17.60 pre-tax.

I just phoned my local Walmart. They have made the switch to Novolin and said the price is a little under $25. I didn't press for the EXACT cost, probably would have to ring it up on the cash register to give the price. I'm happy for now.

Our Walmart in Pa. is selling the Novolin for $24.88. Same price as Humulin. The pharmacist said it is almost identical. There are 3 molecules that are different. Whatever that means. Going to call our vet tomorrow to see what she thinks.

Walmart used to sell the Novolin brand, then switched to Humulin and guess now back to Novolin. Someone posted on another site she just bought Novolin at Walmart for $17.88. She is in Texas. She also said that her diabetic poodle has been fine with the brand switch.

I have to wonder what is actually going on with the price???

CraigM
09-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Annie just asked the price on the ReliOn Facebook page. Wonder if they will answer?

eileen
09-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Was just at a local Walmart picking up Daisy's Tramadol...so just had to ask about the ReliOn Novolin N ;-)....

The answer I got was yes, they had it in stock and for $24.88, also have ReliOn Humulin N at the same cost....but then things took a strange twist when the clerk looked at me oddly and said they've always carried both, ReliOn Novolin N as well as ReliOn Humulin N....at this point I could see there was no use in trying to explain or to question further.

snoopysmom116
09-06-2012, 12:51 PM
I went to Walmart today to buy Humulin N for my dog which is usually $25.
They said they are not selling it any more and showed me a bottle of Novolin which they said would be the same price. So I guess I will have to go back tp paying $80 for Humulin N at the pharmacy. Can someone tell me what is going on?

Cebe
09-06-2012, 01:11 PM
Snoopy, I'm not expert, but what I'm gathering is that there may be a mild adjustment needed to switch to novolon, but that it should be mostly the same.

I have an extra bottle of Humulin N that I bought so I won't run into this issue for a month, but I plan to make the switch to keep costs in check. I will be doing a curve on Zoe within the first few days of the switch to see how it's working.

I'm still not sure exactly what I should be looking for or how these two insulins are different. But, I must keep my costs lowered, so novolon is it for me.

jesse girl
09-06-2012, 01:32 PM
for my jesse the switch to humulin had a milder profile jesse at the time had very strong action to insulin after shot the switch from novolin to humulin under the relion brand name seem to see that strong action a little milder where she did not drop as much during onset not a huge difference but i have to admit i did prefer the humulin

since the cost is so much lower for the relion brand we will switch back to novolin so for us we may lower the dose a bit because of the stronger action for us with the novolin maybe 5 to 10 percent and give it a week test a bit more and reevaluate .

it really isnt a big deal and many wont see any difference it may only apply to dogs that are a bit more sensitive to changes

so really the change is not something to worry about these things will happen change in dog food ingredients is very common i am happy they still have this insulin on the market and keeping that price point and thankful for that

CraigM
09-06-2012, 01:44 PM
+1 to what Jesse Girl said. I don't think I saw any difference between the Novolin and Humulin the last time Walmart / ReliOn switched contracts. I'll probably reduce by 1/4 unit the first day and run a curve.

Judi
09-06-2012, 02:28 PM
We have 2 months worth of the Humulin N but will then be making the switch too if our Walmart has by then. She is so erratic these days what's one more variable LOL?

eileen
09-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Not sure where the owner lives but a post came across another site that a gal just bought a vial of ReliOn Novolin N for $18.00.
(She is a reliable source)

I see the ReliOn site has updated their insulin information but also notice the price listed as being the same as before, $24.88 per vial.

http://www.relion.com/diabetes/insulin

Cebe
09-10-2012, 08:51 AM
I suppose there's no official statement about this change that is going to be made?

eileen
09-10-2012, 08:57 AM
I suppose there's no official statement about this change that is going to be made?

...more like HAS been made ;-)

Looks like 'they' just slipped over quietly.

jesse girl
09-10-2012, 09:01 AM
i think these lower prices that we are seeing in this $18.00 range maybe a temporary discount due to the disruption and it maybe a local discount for individual stores .

i would pick up a few extra vials at this price

CraigM
09-10-2012, 02:52 PM
i think these lower prices that we are seeing in this $18.00 range maybe a temporary discount due to the disruption and it maybe a local discount for individual stores .

i would pick up a few extra vials at this price

Or the very low price is from years ago! I did a google search and came up with web page that stated ReliOn was under $17. Too bad that
was in 2000!

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2000/12/01/2057/low-cost-insulin-available-through-major-retailer/

JayneN
09-11-2012, 04:20 PM
I finally talked with my vet and he said there should be no problem switching brands/manufacturers.

So, guess I will be buying the Novolin N at Sam's. I had just purchased a bottle of the Humulin a couple weeks ago, unaware of the coming change, I always like to have a spare vial....good thing I did!

msgtfrankusmc
09-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Sorry for sounding so dumb but what is the difference between Humulin 70/30 and Humulin N? My Walmart has both in stock at the moment Humulin and Novoulon.

Patty
09-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Hi Frank,
70/30 is a premix of 70% NPH insulin (which is an intermediate acting insulin) and 30% R (Regular - which is a faster acting insulin).

Novolin NPH or Humulin NPH insulin is 100% intermediate acting insulin.

There's a great graph of the time/action profiles here:
http://tinypic.com/avj510.gif

You can see NPH has more of a gradual peak and the 70/30 starts a bit stronger and tapers off once the 30 or fast acting R portion runs out at about hour 7.

One of the reasons you may see a rise in Chase after the R has worn off. I've wondered if straight NPH might be a better fit for him. Let us know how Chase is doing in his thread :)

jgr789
09-13-2012, 07:49 AM
Has anyone actually made the switch yet? Could you tell us about the experience?

Mpollww
09-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Just went to get new insulin and our local Walmart was out of the Humulin N. the pharmacist seemed very annoyed at me for asking about the difference and informed me I could get Humulin N but it would be$80. I am so nervous to try anything else since the smallest thing seems to set Cooper off. Tomorrow the vial we have will be 6 weeks old so I know I need to get new. Guess I will call my vet in the morning :(

Patty
09-13-2012, 04:01 PM
I would reduce the dose slightly when switching just for safety. Then you'll have a cushion if your dog responds a bit different and can adjust from there.

Mpollww
09-13-2012, 04:03 PM
So if she is normally on 4 units 2x per day would you reduce to 3.5 or 3??? Thank you!

Patty
09-13-2012, 05:43 PM
A 15% reduction would be about 3.5u. If her low point of the day is usually fairly low, near 100, you could always drop to 3 or 3.25u to be safe.

CraigM
09-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Again, I don't think any of us had trouble when we were forced to move from Novolin-N to Humulin-N the last time Walmart changed contracts two years ago. As Patty suggested, I'll probably back off 1/4 unit the first day and test an extra time or two

jgr789
09-13-2012, 07:36 PM
I bought the Novolin today from Walmart and took it with me to the Vet. He said there should be no problem switching and to give the same dose.

I'll be giving Sadie her first shot tomorrow...

I do wish I had stocked up on the Humulin though because I hate the idea of changing anything at this point and we go through a vial about every two and a half weeks.

I checked a couple of other Pharmacies and one is selling Humulin for $86, the other was over $100! What a racket!!! No way I could afford Humulin at those prices.

spiritdog6
09-14-2012, 05:14 AM
We just saw my endo Spec. He told me to drop Side down to 5u and work my way back up to 8 u if necessary. That sounds a bit extreme, but I also know Side can be sensitive to drugs.

Change is the last thing we need. He was worn down by a vet stay of 13 days and has not recovered. He used up his reserve so to speak and is not bouncing back.

Both my parents died and that is why he had to stay at the vet. I knew it would be hard on him, but now I have a tired little dog all the time now.

I dread changing.

Cebe
09-14-2012, 06:06 AM
Both of your parents? I'm so sorry. That is a great deal to handle, and I wish you some peace.

And thanks for posting this. I will be cautious.

Patty
09-14-2012, 11:56 AM
So sorry to hear about your folks :(. Such a sad time.

5u also sounds like a bit more of a reduction than needed but some pups are more sensitive than others too.

jgr789
09-16-2012, 04:25 AM
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your parents. There just aren't any or enough words to provide comfort.

I wasn't really able to tell if the new insulin was any different or not because for the first time in forever Sadie totally refused to eat the morning I was supposed to start giving it to her so I could only give her a third the amount she normally gets. We are still working our way back to good numbers after that so it's impossible to tell anything.

Sadie's BG's have been mid 200's since we started with the new insulin so I'm just going to keep her at 28 units for now and see if those numbers change.

I'd still be interested in hearing anyone elses experiences with the Novolin.

jim maceri
09-16-2012, 05:18 AM
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your parents. There just aren't any or enough words to provide comfort.

I wasn't really able to tell if the new insulin was any different or not because for the first time in forever Sadie totally refused to eat the morning I was supposed to start giving it to her so I could only give her a third the amount she normally gets. We are still working our way back to good numbers after that so it's impossible to tell anything.

Sadie's BG's have been mid 200's since we started with the new insulin so I'm just going to keep her at 28 units for now and see if those numbers change.

I'd still be interested in hearing anyone elses experiences with the Novolin.

Me too....It would be very helpful if we had a thread that posted the "differences" people are noting about the insulin change.

Abby's Mom
09-17-2012, 09:55 AM
We can still get Humulin N, and I purchased two of them, yesterday. Walmart said that a refrigerator full of Humulin, so I am hoping that we do not need to make the switch soon. They did confirm, however, that once this supply is gone, they will be getting the Novolon.

I think next week, I'll buy two more.

Shellie
09-17-2012, 11:19 PM
We just saw my endo Spec. He told me to drop Side down to 5u and work my way back up to 8 u if necessary. That sounds a bit extreme, but I also know Side can be sensitive to drugs.

Change is the last thing we need. He was worn down by a vet stay of 13 days and has not recovered. He used up his reserve so to speak and is not bouncing back.

Both my parents died and that is why he had to stay at the vet. I knew it would be hard on him, but now I have a tired little dog all the time now.

I dread changing.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear you lost your parents! It's one of the hardest things to deal with! And having to deal with your pup not doing so well too... lots of hugs and good thoughts your way!

eastolberg
09-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Oh no! I wish I had seen this sooner. Many of the Wal Marts around me are now completely out of both. Glad we stick up an extra bottle usually but its time for me to get that extra.
Shelby has never been on the Novolin version, but I hate to change things with all her other things going on the past few weeks!

spiritdog6
09-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Thank you all for your sympathy. It was a rough time (still is). They both lived very long lives (90s) and they were sick (mom ALZ/dad Acute Leukemia). The hardest part was having them die so close together. 4 days apart in July, dad died in the AM of the day of moms funeral. We had 2 funerals in 3 days. I know it is good they didn't have to live without each other, but it sure was tough and a scramble for the siblings. They both died at home too. Dad went to moms wake (via ambulance) talked to her, gave her kisses, and said "I'll see you soon". I'll tell you, there has never been a movie made that had this dramatic effect......seeing your mom in a coffin with you dad laying on stretcher next to her at the funeral home.......that was literally a body spinner to walk in and see. He died 7 hours later, and that was TOUGH.

I did post on the ReliOn FB page since they asked which stores were out of both. I just called my Wal Mart and they have the Novolin N in stock now.

The vet stay (13 days) while I was away really wore my dog down. He has many issues not just diabetes so the stress really wore him out and 2 months later he still is worn out. Even though the vet did all she could (she took him home to her house at night and on the weekends) he was still stressed.

So this change in insulin is scary for me. We really didn't need yet another "change" in our lives. I need this little guy.............he is all I have now.

eastolberg
09-18-2012, 11:45 AM
So this change in insulin is scary for me. We really didn't need yet another "change" in our lives. I need this little guy.............he is all I have now.

Wow. So sorry for your loss! I'm sure you can take comfort in the fact that they lived long together and not long apart, but it has to be so hard on you and your family.

Hope you don't have any issues with the change. I guess I'm about to find out myself how Shelby will do on Novolin. I wish I had known sooner so I could stock up a bit. The last thing we need at our house is more going wrong.

spiritdog6
09-18-2012, 11:53 AM
We are in the same boat as you and Shelby. Since my return Sidekick had a flea infestation, then we attempted to adjust his Cushing meds which REALLY created havoc in his system, then I found an injury under his chin, then he was licking his foot raw, then he had skin issues on his stomach, and his chronic bronchial disease has kicked into high gear as well.

Like you we would just like normal to return and changing insulin doesn't quite fit that bill. We have a few more weeks with this $85 bottle of Humulin.

Sorry you and Shelby have had a rough go of it too.

eastolberg
09-18-2012, 12:57 PM
After the amount of money we have spent, sometimes $85 doesnt seem like much, but when you consider that you can get almost 4 bottles of relion for one bottle of branded humulin, it just makes me feel sick.

Here's hoping we can also be some of the people who see little to no change with the Novolin.

CraigM
09-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Look at the change this way: Novolin might give your pup better regulation! It's possible.

eastolberg
09-18-2012, 01:27 PM
I can only DREAM that something would actually work out for the BETTER and not worse after all this time - crossing my fingers and toes as I used to say as a kid!

kitrose08
09-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Went to the Walmart here in Marinette, WI...The girl said they were all out of Humilin N...I had to ask her about the new insulin Novolin N..She found a bottle..It is made in Denmark....I hate switching from the Humilin N...Hattie is still so up and down..but maybe fingers crossed this will be better....can't afford anything else right now...

jesse girl
09-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Went to the Walmart here in Marinette, WI...The girl said they were all out of Humilin N...I had to ask her about the new insulin Novolin N..She found a bottle..It is made in Denmark....I hate switching from the Humilin N...Hattie is still so up and down..but maybe fingers crossed this will be better....can't afford anything else right now...

i was happy when jesse switched to humilun under the relion name because she was so unstable and things did get better so switching back isnt as exciting but i think she will be just fine with the change back

most things dont remain the same over time and we have to expect change from time to time even within are dogs lifetime and must be ready to adapt to the new reality

k9diabetes
09-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Bumping this up for newer members