View Full Version : Canidae offers grain-free kibbles

k9diabetes
12-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Just went to check the calorie count on Jack's food and found this:

http://www.canidae.com/dogs/grain-free-als/dry.html

(that's better...)

eyelostit
12-08-2008, 02:39 PM
maybe i can get that at the feed store, or the lady there can order it for me, sounds good:)

Fishslayer
01-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Hmmm... looks a bit like the OLD Canidae before Diamond foods bought them, changed the formula and people started dropping them like they were hot!:rolleyes:

We went off Canidae not long ago for that very reason.

If you check Diamond Food's website you will find that they are a VERY bottom line oriented company. Responses to people's emails re the formula concerns included references to "keeping costs down."

They obviously don't get it. The old Canidae was significantly more expensive than what we had been feeding before switching to Canidae, but we fed it anyway.

Now the price has gone through the roof and I have found another food that is very good at a manageable price.

I don't think I'll be going back. Diamonds Foods has lost my trust.

Rick

k9diabetes
01-15-2009, 09:32 AM
I don't understand WHY Canidae shifted production to any outside manufacturer, let alone Diamond. Canidae weathered the Menu Foods Recall well precisely because they, as I understood it, manufactured their own kibble. The canned food no but the kibble yes, as was true with many of the other companies.

Their food was very popular after the recall thanks to U.S. sourced ingredients and they seem to have thrown all of that away. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Fishslayer
01-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Their food was very popular after the recall thanks to U.S. sourced ingredients and they seem to have thrown all of that away. Doesn't make any sense to me.

You're dealing with the people that bring us Ol' Roy. They're not about the dogs, they're about the $$$.

Nothing WRONG with making money, but if they do it at the expense of the dogs' well being, they need to be prepared for a certain number of people to go elsewhere. Once trust is lost it can be a real bear to earn back. I've seen copies of the emails. Those put me off maybe more than the original issue.

The food I'm buying now boasts "100% American ingredients."

Not some vague "Made with American whatnot" or "Blended in America." Those are red flags to me that say "We use cheap foreign stuff." Actually, "Made in America" merely means that the finished product was manufactured here. No telling where the ingredients came from.

Bear in mind I am a cynical barstid & could be completely full of stool sample. ;) My guess would be that the new Canidae is an excellent product, but I'm not buying any.

Rick

We Hope
01-15-2009, 11:07 AM
http://itchmoforums.com/your-problems-with-pet-food/canidae-dog-food-new-formula-complaints-t6512.0.html

More comments and links about issues since the Canidae changes.

Kathy

Fishslayer
01-15-2009, 07:53 PM
http://itchmoforums.com/your-problems-with-pet-food/canidae-dog-food-new-formula-complaints-t6512.0.html

More comments and links about issues since the Canidae changes.

Kathy

"Address Not Found"

Rick

We Hope
01-16-2009, 05:37 AM
The entire site went down some time last night. They are working to get it back online. Sorry!

Kathy