View Full Version : Black Magic has departed

bontemp
01-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Name: Black Magic
Breed: Minature Schnauzer - 11 y.o.
Weight: 28 # before diagnosis, 24.5 # currently
Diet: Science Diet R/D, 1 cp twice a day
Insulin: Vetsulin U-40
Injections: Started at 6 units once/day, now at 10 units twice/day and BG at 400 last week - returning to vet

Black Magic did the norm, drinking excessively and urinating in the house, vet started him on Vetsulin in early November 2008. His weight dropped rapidly as did his muscle tone and at Thanksgiving he was so weak in the hindquarters that he could barely walk. Continued weekly testing and insulin adjustment - now his weight has stabilized and his energy level, alertness, and strength are improving every day. Blood glucose remains above 400 even with the twice per day insulin. More testing this next week. Two kinds of Cushings tests were negative. Looking forward to getting the B.G. back into normal ranges.

k9diabetes
01-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Welcome to you and Black Magic!

Gosh, I'm starting to think that if I was going to get a mini Schnauzer I'd just lay in the diabetes supplies right up front!

Glad you're continuing to test and monitor - are you testing blood glucose at home?

Vetsulin rarely ever works once a day - I wish they'd stop trying to sell it as a potentially once a day insulin. There's really no reason to expect it to work that way. He's coming up now on an average dose for his size so you should start to see better results in the next few weeks.

Natalie

eyelostit
01-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Welcome to the board bontemp and Black Magic. :)
I'm glad you found us, in time things will all be ok.

bontemp
03-03-2009, 06:30 AM
Injections: Started at 6 units once/day, now at 10 units twice/day and BG at 400 last week - returning to vet

Black Magic did the norm, drinking excessively and urinating in the house, vet started him on Vetsulin in early November 2008. His weight dropped rapidly as did his muscle tone and at Thanksgiving he was so weak in the hindquarters that he could barely walk. Continued weekly testing and insulin adjustment - now his weight has stabilized and his energy level, alertness, and strength are improving every day. Blood glucose remains above 400 even with the twice per day insulin. More testing this next week. Two kinds of Cushings tests were negative. Looking forward to getting the B.G. back into normal ranges.
1-21-2009 update - B.G. tests showed 400 AM, 280, back to 400 in PM so vet said to go to 12 units Vetsulin 2X/day - energy level and alertness are good
3-02-2009 update - B.G. tests getting better, now ranging from 125-275 with 13 units 2X/day, weight 25#
5-18-2009 update - weight 25.5#, still at 13 units 2X/day, double cataract surgery this week and successful

k9diabetes
03-03-2009, 10:49 AM
3-02-2009 update - B.G. tests getting better, now ranging from 125-275 with 13 units 2X/day, weight 25

Congratulations!!!! I'll bet you are so excited about this!

Natalie

eyelostit
03-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Great News ! :)

Rags' Mom
03-04-2009, 05:50 AM
bontemp - So glad to hear that Black Magic is getting into a nice therapeutic range. That has to be quite a relief to you. I notice a little bit of weight gain too - nice added bonus.

Janie

ladysmom06
03-04-2009, 05:54 AM
Hi and welcome to you and Black Magic. Happy:):)to hear that bg's are getting better. Good luck to the two of you.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

bontemp
05-17-2009, 03:08 PM
11 y.o. Black Schnauzer, diagnosed with diabetes in late 2008, lost weight and noticeable muscle mass in his hind legs until we got his insulin level stabilized. Around Thanksgiving he was so weak that he could not climb stairs and could barely walk. Has recovered his weight and his feisty attitude. Cushings tests, so far, are negative. But then -- he went blind in both eyes over a period of 4 weeks but double cataract surgery last week brought him back and it looks like he'll have good sight.

ravenecw
05-17-2009, 03:18 PM
That is good to hear..... I'm thinking of having the cataract surgery done as well (trying to stabilize my dogs bg's better though right now)- eye doctor appt. on Saturday as my dog has cataracts in both eyes as well. Please keep us posted as this is a topic I'm very interested in- I will do the same.

eyelostit
05-17-2009, 10:44 PM
11 y.o. Black Schnauzer, diagnosed with diabetes in late 2008, lost weight and noticeable muscle mass in his hind legs until we got his insulin level stabilized. Around Thanksgiving he was so weak that he could not climb stairs and could barely walk. Has recovered his weight and his feisty attitude. Cushings tests, so far, are negative. But then -- he went blind in both eyes over a period of 4 weeks but double cataract surgery last week brought him back and it looks like he'll have good sight.

Glad to hear the good news :) Sounds like you are doing great

k9diabetes
05-18-2009, 10:05 PM
It's nice to hear from you and learn that things are cruising along! :)

Natalie

bontemp
08-13-2010, 07:57 PM

1-21-2009 update - B.G. tests showed 400 AM, 280, back to 400 in PM so vet said to go to 12 units Vetsulin 2X/day - energy level and alertness are good

3-02-2009 update - B.G. tests getting better, now ranging from 125-275 with 13 units 2X/day, weight 25#

8-13-2010 update - Magic lost his eyesight in 4-2009 and req'd double cataract surgery which was successful. In 4-2010 one eye began to change color and his eye surgeon said that apparently his body had rejected the lens and he would lose sight in that eye - he did. Magic began to again develop hind leg weakness that got progressively worse in late 5-2010 although his blood glucose remained well regulated with the Vetsulin within normal limits - his weight dropped to 20.5#. Many tests were run to determine the cause of the weakness and muscle atrophy - nothing concrete was found. Then due to failing supplies of Vetsulin we were forced to switch to Humulin N. After a period of reluctance to eat his normal food, Magic seems on the road to recovery with ever increasing energy, hind leg strength, and weight gain. Could it be due to the insulin switch? He's currently on 10 units 2X/day.

k9diabetes
08-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Hi!

I copied your note hear from the Stories thread as many more folks who visit daily will see it here.

Weight loss is very typical of poorly regulated blood sugar and muscles can atrophy if the weight loss is severe...

How is his regulation now on the NPH?

There are other potential causes for the muscle atrophy so if the blood sugar is well regulated, I'd look for other reasons.

Natalie

Patty
09-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Magic seems on the road to recovery with ever increasing energy, hind leg strength, and weight gain.

It's good to hear this :)

bontemp
09-12-2010, 07:20 AM
Black Magic fought the last battle yesterday and was euthanized due to the discovery of a large mass on/in his liver which resulted in a host of debilitating symptoms. He'd been thru enough, maybe too much, with the diabetes, cataract surgery, and then the discovery of the mass and associated problems.

eileen
09-12-2010, 07:26 AM
I'm so, so sorry to read this sad news.

May the wonderful memories you have of Black Magic quickly overshadow this heartbreaking time.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

CarolW
09-12-2010, 07:33 AM
Bontemp - I am so very, very sorry for your loss. It's SO difficult to make that decision, but it's clear; you did what was right for Black Magic.

Good for you. I trust your happy memories of him will eventually overcome the intensity of the immediate grief I know you're feeling now.

Thanks so much for letting us know, You certainly did all you could for Black Magic, and I'm sure he appreciates it.

With deepest sympathy,

Sun, 12 Sep 2010 07:32:38 (PDT)

buddingartist
09-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Bontemp, so very sorry for your loss.

It is always sad to read about such news. Be free BlackMagic and look over mommy. Virtual hug your way

Louise

ozzi
09-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Bontemp,
I know the struggle you faced yesterday. Even when it's clear that there is no other alternative, the finality is heartbreaking. I faced the same issue with Ozzi exactly 4 weeks ago today, and I sympathize with you. You did everything you possibly could have done to help Black Magic, even making the toughest decision yesterday. My heart goes out to you, and I'm very, very sorry that you have lost a true friend.
Kevin

k9diabetes
09-12-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Black Magic passed away. There is something so cruel about successfully battling the diabetes and blindness only to wind up facing cancer.

He was obviously deeply loved - the thing that matters most in the end.

With great sympathy,

Natalie

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom
09-12-2010, 04:54 PM
So sorry for your loss. Consider yourself hugged.

Tami & Soaphie

CoolGram
09-12-2010, 08:11 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know you have wonderful memories of Black Magic and some day they will bring smiles instead of tears.

Thinking of you,
Carolyn

Franklin'sMum
09-13-2010, 01:35 AM
I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. Thinking of you at this very sad time, and sending prayers.
Jane and Franklin

peggy0
09-13-2010, 05:36 AM
so sorry magic has passed. i know how hard this is to do and you never forget, but most find it in their heart to love again. magics memories will always be with you.

Margaret Boyle
09-13-2010, 05:41 AM
So sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

You will treasure yor lovely memories of Black Magic.

It is never easy when they have too leave us, it hurts so much.

God Bless

Margaret

Patty
09-13-2010, 05:52 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss. Godspeed Black Magic.
We are thinking of you,
Patty

pgcor
09-13-2010, 04:31 PM
I am also very sad to read about Black Magic. I think the road all of us must take is so very hard when we have a chronically ill dog. But I also know that the bond we have with them is so much deeper because of it.

I hope that soon your memories will only be happy ones!

ladysmom06
09-15-2010, 10:48 AM
I am so very sorry for your loss of Black Magic. My thoughts and prayers are with you. My deepest sympathy.