PDA

View Full Version : Injecting a reluctant dog

Fishslayer
02-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Well, I knew it was going to happen sooner or later. As Lucy's energy level has gone up she sometimes has ummm.... "moments."

This morning we had our first major "difference of opinion."

This AM she had her BG test & ate her food with no drama.

When it came time for her injection she was NOT having any. :mad: She would start yelping & whinging when I even approached with the syringe.

I felt every emotion the others have outlined here. Frustration being foremost.

I also remembered the advice given here. I capped the syringe & took Lucy out for a play session (actually, she justs walks with me while I throw balls for my other dogs) & walkabout in the yard.

15 minutes later we went back inside & she allowed the injection without a whimper!:D She even obeyed my "still" command while I was injecting.

What would we do without this website?;)

Rick

ladygirl
02-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Rick I know what you mean, only mine has been everyday twice a day!

Reading over your message I think I may try tonight to feed Princess first, take her on her walk, and then when we come back and she gets a little more settled in, I will try injecting her. Thanks for the suggestion!

I hope all continues to go well with Lucy, you are a great adoptive owner for her!

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom
02-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Gosh - what a great idea! I'm glad it worked!

Fishslayer
02-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Rick I know what you mean, only mine has been everyday twice a day!

Reading over your message I think I may try tonight to feed Princess first, take her on her walk, and then when we come back and she gets a little more settled in, I will try injecting her. Thanks for the suggestion!

Lucy is always a bit more sluggish after her meal (so am I come to think of it :D)

I hope all continues to go well with Lucy, you are a great adoptive owner for her!

I'm just her foster human. Lucy is available. She just got spayed. ;)

Rick