PDA

View Full Version : computer is scewed up

eyelostit
03-14-2009, 05:29 PM
computer is scewed up attempting to fix:mad:

JazzyGirlsMom
03-14-2009, 05:30 PM
don'tcha hate that? if I can help, give me a call.

rhodesian46
03-14-2009, 06:23 PM
That is why I bought a mac( Mini Mac) Love it No viruses either!!!

eyelostit
03-14-2009, 11:44 PM
Hopefully we are ok, I will post some info if anyone owns a Compac Presario Desktop, finally got to talk to a tech in Oregon who spoke perfect english, it was really a more relaxing 1 1/2 hr phone chat than with others that have tried to help me.

ladysmom06
03-15-2009, 05:14 AM
Hi Dolly,

Hopefully we are ok

I had computer problems a couple weeks ago. Took me over 5 hours:mad::mad: to get it fixed. Hoping yours is still ok.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

BaileyBear
03-15-2009, 04:11 PM
What a pain in the butt. I felt like I lost a limb when my modem blew a little while back. I hope everything is resolved now...and stays that way for you both. :)

eyelostit
03-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Well if you have a compac presario and it seems like the fan is running loud or full throttle you need a new power supply which the fan comes with.

Then i was told to use the Opera browser which uses less bandwith, and windows live mail and IE7 takes alot of memory, so hp is sending me the parts and hopefully i can install with there phone help, and getting an extra memory chip, i think they are making computers disposable now like everything else, i should not have upgraded to IE7, its disgusting cuz i don't download movies or play games or do all the things a younger person may do.

Earlier we just lost power 2X while computer is on lousy rain no doubt an accident or tree fell down, so thankfully the email was not open, I am so thankful for the guy that helped me and heard that fan running loud.

So i hope i can install these, I think giving Niki her shot would be way easier on my nerves.!!!

JazzyGirlsMom
03-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Well if you have a compac presario and it seems like the fan is running loud or full throttle you need a new power supply which the fan comes with.

Then i was told to use the Opera browser which uses less bandwith, and windows live mail and IE7 takes alot of memory, so hp is sending me the parts and hopefully i can install with there phone help, and getting an extra memory chip, i think they are making computers disposable now like everything else, i should not have upgraded to IE7, its disgusting cuz i don't download movies or play games or do all the things a younger person may do.

Earlier we just lost power 2X while computer is on lousy rain no doubt an accident or tree fell down, so thankfully the email was not open, I am so thankful for the guy that helped me and heard that fan running loud.

So i hope i can install these, I think giving Niki her shot would be way easier on my nerves.!!!

If you uninstall IE7, it will revert back to the latest version you had which was probably IE6 which worked much better

JazzyGirlsMom
03-17-2009, 07:45 PM

Just make sure when you do it, you ALWAYS have at least one part of your body touching the case and make sure it's unplugged. You want to avoid any kind of static electricity. It should be pretty much a swap out and voila. How old is the computer? Could it just be dust on the fan? Use canned air to blow it out before you replace it. It might do the trick.

eyelostit
03-17-2009, 08:14 PM
the hp guy was checking reverting back to ie6 but it was too much of a project, we were on the phone over 1 1/2 hrs I could not take anymore, so I guess the more memory will help.

thanks

We Hope
03-17-2009, 08:35 PM
FWIW, I had IE 7 on my system for about all of 15 minutes when it was first out. It took me more than twice as long to just TRY to do something that took no time at all for me with IE 6.

So I uninstalled it and keep on refusing SP 3 because that has IE 7 in the download. Will wait and see what IE 8 looks like when it's released to the public.

Just didn't like it. :p

Kathy

JazzyGirlsMom
03-17-2009, 09:16 PM
FWIW, I had IE 7 on my system for about all of 15 minutes when it was first out. It took me more than twice as long to just TRY to do something that took no time at all for me with IE 6.

So I uninstalled it and keep on refusing SP 3 because that has IE 7 in the download. Will wait and see what IE 8 looks like when it's released to the public.

Just didn't like it. :p

Kathy

If I'm not mistaken, you go to add/remove programs from the control panel and select IE7. It should revert back to IE6 provided you had IE6 installed before you upgraded. A friend of mine had IE8 and it froze her out of her online banking. I had to uninstall it.

This article describes how to uninstall Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

We Hope
03-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Did that after it had its 15 minutes of "fame" about 2 years ago. I'm lucky enough to have a disk version of IE/OE if I was ever to need it.

Right now IE 8 is still in beta stage and at one point, my online banking wasn't set up for IE 7, so I wouldn't even think about IE 8 until it's ready to go in non-beta.

Kathy