PDA

View Full Version : Polly earned her wings today...

Cara's Mom
04-08-2009, 12:30 PM
For the last several days Polly would not eat and this morning she could not get up anymore. I knew she was in great pain and I made the decision to end her suffering. With Cara and me at her side she passed away peacefully, just short of her 12th birthday.
If there ever was a sweet girl who realy earned her wings, it was Polly.
I know I made the right decision, but does it have to hurt so much?

We Hope
04-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Marion,

I've had to ask the same question and the only answer I could ever come up with is that our minds know what we need to do but our hearts don't and won't let go.

I ONLY WANTED YOU

They say memories are golden
well maybe that is true.
I never wanted memories,
I only wanted you.

A million times I needed you,
a million times I cried.
If love alone could have saved you
you never would have died.

In life I loved you dearly,
In death I love you still.
In my heart you hold a place
no one could ever fill.

If tears could build a stairway
and heartache make a lane,
I'd walk the path to heaven
and bring you back again.

Our family chain is broken,
and nothing seems the same.
But as God calls us one by one,
the chain will link again.

Author unknown

I am so sorry for both you and Cara as I know how much you both love Polly. Tears, hugs, and love to you both!

Kathy

peggy0
04-08-2009, 01:38 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your beautiful Polly. My thoughts are with you. Its so hard to do. She will be watching over you and cara until you are together again.

BaileyBear
04-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry! :(

I know your heart is broken, but I'm glad you know you made the right decision. It's such a terrible position to be in and my heart goes out to you. Polly had a wonderful life with you and Cara. Holding you both in my thoughts.

(((Hugs)))

k9diabetes
04-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Oh Marion... I'm so very very sorry. Yes, I think it does have to hurt this much. It hurts as much as you love and that was obviously very deeply.

I was not aware that Polly had come to a point of crisis and for that I apologize.

Sending you a hug and our deepest sympathies to all,

Natalie

eyelostit
04-08-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm so sorry, its always so hard, Polly had a wonderful life with you. I can feel your heartache.

FRIEND TO FRIEND
You're giving me a special gift,
So sorrowfully endowed,
And through these last few cherished days,
Your courage makes me proud.

But really, love is knowing
When your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts
Will only be in vain.

So looking deep into your eyes,
Beyond, into your soul,
I see in you the magic, that will
Once more make me whole.

The strength that you possess,
Is why I look to you today,
To do this thing that must be done,
For it's the only way.

That strength is why I've followed you,
And chose you as my friend,
And why I've loved you all these years...
My partner 'til the end.

Please, understand just what this gift,
You're giving, means to me,
It gives me back the strength I've lost,
And all my dignity.

You take a stand on my behalf,
For that is what friends do.
And know that what you do is right,
For I believe it too.

So one last time, I breathe your scent,
And through your hand I feel,
The courage that's within you,
To now grant me this appeal.

Cut the leash that holds me here,
Dear friend, and let me run,
Once more a strong and steady dog,
My pain and struggle done.

And don't despair my passing,
For I won't be far away,
Forever here, within your heart,
And memory I'll stay.

I'll be there watching over you,
Your ever faithful friend,
And in your memories I'll run,
...a young dog once again.

Cara's Mom
04-09-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks everyone. You are a big help!
We're still a little raw around the edges but Cara seems to be OK although her BG is running low. She was with her Polly-Mom till the last moment and and it seems she has accepted the fact she's on her own now! Hopefully, with time, everything will settle, but for now she is my shadow...where I go she is sure to follow!

rhodesian46
04-09-2009, 10:20 AM
I am so sorry about Polly. And I feel for you as it is difficult to make the decision. I know. You did what was best for Polly. That shows that you loved her. You will hurt for a while. You will cry a lot as well. I found that talking about it helps tremendously.

eyelostit
04-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Its hard, Niki was 1 of 4 dogs and she is the 4th, now top dog but I know she must miss Chief and her other brother and sister. I hope you feel a little better today but I know it takes time. :)

angelbudsmama
04-11-2009, 04:19 PM
It's never easy to make that decision to let a beloved pet go....you did what you felt in your heart was right, and that is the important thing to remember. The pain is deep now...but time does help. I pray that these next few days esp. will be easier for you as you grieve. Polly is such a sweet name!
Please know you are in my thoughts.....Polly has many friends to play with now, and watch over her! I know my Bud is busy showing her the ropes and all the parties going on at the bridge! Many hugs to you during this sad time.

Blessings,
Judy, Angel Bud ( October 1995 to February 2009) and Harley in Arizona.

Fishslayer
04-11-2009, 08:49 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. You did the right thing for your friend.

Polly will always live within your heart.

Rick

BestBuddy
04-11-2009, 09:35 PM
Polly certainly has earned her wings. There are plenty of friends to meet her and I'm sure she will meet those gone after. This earth had lost a lot of angels.
Jenny

ladysmom06
04-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Marion,

I am so very sorry to hear about Polly. My heart goes out to you - I know how hard it is to make that final decision. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs to you and Cara.

Luv,
Lynne and My Sweet Precious Angel Lady - July 1998-March 2009

Cara's Mom
04-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Thanks everyone, your kind words did bring the tears back but things are becoming easier. I still hear the "thumb, thumb" of her wagging tail on the carpet, when she heard my voice.
Polly was a "puppy-back" from a breeding and joined my gang (incl her Dad!) at the tender age of 6 weeks. She was a hit from the minute she walked through the door.
Polly could smile!! She was the happiest girl in the park and everybody (and their dogs) needed a greeting from her. So, she was always busy running around saying "Hello".
That's why I know she will be very happy meeting all her old friends and making new ones.
Run Polly, run....find the birds!!

Squirt's Mom
04-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Marion,

I just wanted you to know that Polly is being honored with candles at:

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=ccnet

This is now a joint site for both cc.net and k9diabetes members. Please feel free to light as many as you wish as often as you wish for your sweet Polly.

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls

Rusty's Mom
04-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Dear Marion,

You have my sympathy. I know the pain you are feeling, as my dear Rusty passed on 4/2. I think the saddest thing on earth would be to pass through it and not be missed. Therefore the pain we feel now is a good emotion, as it means we loved our little ones so very much!

May your memories and stories bring you comfort.

Blessings,

MJ

pgcor
04-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Marion, I'm so sorry to hear this. I haven't been on the board for awhile, but was very, very saddened to read about Polly. I also know how hard this time is for you. I hope only happy memories for you...and soon.

Pam