Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holly's Introduction

Hi,
    Holly is a Pound Puppy (lots of terrier- Rat Terrier, Jack Russell terrier. a little Chicuaua, possibly a little Beagle. We adopted her in Dec. 2006. SPCA estimated her age at 1 year. So we estimate she is almost 11 years old. She was very overweight for years and we feel very guilty for doing that to her. We caused the diabetes. She was 29lbs at diagnosis, but she weighs 22lbs now.

She was diagnosed January 2016. She starting wetting herself everytime she fell asleep, all weekend. Monday we went to the vet expecting to be told she was dying. In comparison to what we were expecting, Diabetes was a shock, but a relief too.

She gets Vetsulin 7 units after breakfast and dinner. 9am, 9pm.
    We feed her Prescription Diet Metabolic 1/2 a cup for each meal and a 1/4 cup after her shot.

We do not monitor her blood glucose at home very often. We use a Relion meter if she has behavior changes, but do not trust the numbers. We end up just going right to the vet if we have concerns. We administer corn syrup first.

Before her diagnosis she was aging. She was sore and stiff whenever she first stood up. She had great difficulty getting on our bed .
    Within a week of starting the insulin, she was limber and could jump easily in bed.

She rarely snacks, except she now LOVES romaine lettuce. She gets all excited, grabs it and runs away, shaking it to break the rib. So we get that positive feedback of giving her a treat and she gets something enjoyable.

We did not bring her in for a curve until July. The vet was very happy. Her glucose was "normal" and she had lost 7lbs. She said to increase her food by 1/4 cup per meal.

I look forward to being part of this forum. Thanks!
    Mom to Holly, 11ish, diagnosed 1/2016, Vetsulin 7 units twice a day.

Re: Holly's Introduction

welcome to the forum! what a cutie pie!
    sounds like you are doing great!
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

welcome and glad things are going well

do you have hypoglycemic events on occasion ? this is the impression i get from your post if so regulation maybe to tight (at a lower but maybe normal range ) dogs usually don't need tight regulation to do well . one goal is to avoid all low blood sugar events with regulation at level where that is possible

just a thought
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

It is very unlikely you caused her diabetes - dogs are more like type 1 diabetics. Many times, it is genetics, trauma to the pancreas, over prescribed steroids, or pancreatitis. So, don't feel guilty - it was likely to happen regardless of her being overweight.

Sounds like things are going pretty good for you. There are more reliable meters out there for use with dogs. If she is going low, it is not always feasible to go the the vet's office. I had a wobbly diabetic myself - she could drop out of nowhere so low. I tested quite often because of it.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
        X