PDA

View Full Version : Nelson

BestBuddy
04-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Have you ever had the perfect dog?

I was given a purebred Kelpie (no papers) by a close friend when he was 10 weeks old. He was a dark chocolate brown and so serene I named him Nelson after Nelson Mandela. Although he was a working breed he never dug holes or barked madly or chased inappropriate things as he grew into a beautiful natured dog.

We had chickens that he would round up gently and put back into their enclosure and although he was much larger (25kg) he always let the little fluffy dogs boss him around without a growl or even a nasty look. I must admit he had a couple of issues when he was younger which resulted in emergency vet visits. He jumped at a high metal fence at a neighbours dogs an sliced his jaw open and another time he impaled himseld on a metal post. Both times after some stitching and pain relief he was back to normal in a few days and since those early vet visits has only ever been to the vet yearly for annual vaccinations.

I took him to obedience classes and he excelled at everything. We made it to the top class after only 6 months which was a record at that obedience school and even joined the super dog team that went around to shows and demonstrated obedience and also agility.

All that was years ago now and my Nelson is now 14yo and just recently started to have a bit of arthritic pain. Nelson has been to the vet and been having Pentosan injections (a course of 4, one each week) and after the first two I was seeing a great improvement in his movement but last week after number 3 he started to get lame and hobble around.

Last night he collapsed and couldn't get up so we headed to the vet and he was given an injection of Temgesic (an opioid) for the pain and sent home with Tramal for the pain and Rimadyl. He had a quiet night and had a Tramal this morning but he doesn't want to move off his bed. I don't want him to suffer but I also don't want to give up on him.

Hopefully I can keep him pain free over the Easter break and assess his quality of life. It has happened so quick I am not ready for him to go but I know I would never be ready.

If you have the time Nelson would appreciate prayers, and if you can spare a few more so would I that I can be strong if this is truly the end.

Jenny

Update-

I helped Nelson to his final sleep yesterday and he has gone to meet Buddy.

k9diabetes
04-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Jenny... I'm so very sorry to hear about Nelson's passing. It is very hard when it is so sudden but it is so good to know that Nelson was granted a long healthy painfree life - which he obviously very much deserved - for almost every day of his 14 years and that is a blessing.

What a good boy Nelson was.

Natalie

rhodesian46
04-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Jemmy
I am sorry about Nelson. Losing 2 dogs is not easy. My prayers are with you and your family.

Patty
04-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Jenny,
I am so very sorry to hear about Nelson. What a wonderful story you shared about him. Glad he is no longer in pain, though I know you will miss him dearly.
Patty

BaileyBear
04-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Sounds like Nelson was one very special dog. I'm so sorry to hear of his passing and how suddenly you had to make the decision. But I'm glad he didn't suffer long and that he had Buddy waiting for him. He had a long and wonderful life and I hope that brings you some comfort as you heal.

(((Hugs)))

We Hope
04-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Jenny,

I know how hard this was for you; you've lost two very special dogs in a short period of time. If you weren't a very strong and a very special lady, Nelson and Buddy would never have had the marvelous lives they did.

When they have to leave us, we need to think about how things would have been if we never had the pleasure of their company at all, and how much poorer we would have been without it.

Kathy

eyelostit
04-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Aw, I'm so sorry, I did not see this until now, they are so much a part of us and happening so close to Buddy,

Those we love don't go away,
They walk beside us every day,
Unseen, unheard, but always near,
Still loved, still missed and very dear

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/picture.php?pictureid=191&albumid=3&dl=1239424514&thumb=1 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/album.php?albumid=3&pictureid=191)

gpgscott
04-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Jen,

I am sad for you and everyone who was close to Nelson. Many of the cc.net people who are not members here are also expressing their condolances in emails, in particular Marianne.

Scott

ladysmom06
04-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Oh Jenny!!!!

I am so very sorry to hear the news about Nelson. Thanks for sharing his story with us. You were a great mom to him and Buddy. I know how much you loved them. Special hugs being sent from my house to yours.

Luv,
Lynne and My Sweet Precious Angel Lady

mytil
04-11-2009, 12:59 PM
I have to smile Jen when I am reading about your Nelson - thank you for telling us more.

My heart aches with you Jen and I am sure both your furbabies are watching over you right now. I surely hope Nelson has met up with my Mytilda - they will have the entire Bridge in "herding" order in no time.

Big ((((((hugs)))))))
In loving memory of your sweet Nelson - please post some photos if you have not already - I am new here and have not looked around yet.
Terry

acushdogsmom
04-11-2009, 02:14 PM
In loving memory of your sweet Nelson - please post some photos if you have not already - I am new here and have not looked around yet.
Terry
Terry, if you look at Jen's profile page, on the right side of that page you'll see she has created a photo album called Buddy and friends, I think. Click and it will take you to her photo album, where you'll find at least one photo of Nelson.

I'll try to post that direct link here:

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/album.php?albumid=14&pictureid=91

Lulusmom
04-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Cushy, thanks for posting a link to Nelson's picture. He was certainly a handsome lad. Jen, again, I am so terribly sorry for your loss.

(((Warm and consoling hugs)))

Glynda

Squirt's Mom
04-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Aw Jenny,

I am so, so sorry to hear about Nelson. Bless your heart, honey. He and Buddy will watch over you always with the same love and devotion that you gave them. Candles will be lit in honor of both your babies, who are playing together, pain free, whole once again.

Remember the white feathers.

Our deepest sympathies,
Leslie, Squirt, Ruby, Goldie and Crystal

acushdogsmom
04-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Cushy, thanks for posting a link to Nelson's picture. He was certainly a handsome lad. Jen, again, I am so terribly sorry for your loss.

(((Warm and consoling hugs)))

GlyndaJenny's got lots of great photos in her album!

Here's a link to her album (only logged in members will be able to see this)

http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/album.php?albumid=14

:D :D :D

angelbudsmama
04-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Jen...I am not sure you know me, but I try to pop in and read the forum whenever I get a chance...which these days is not often! ): But, I just had to offer peace to you, and condolences on the loss of both your pups...that is such a difficult situation to be in, losing two beloved pets so close together. It's been almost 2 months since Bud left us, and the pain is less, but the ache for him is still ever present...our pets are so much a part of our family. I am so sorry for both of your losses!

Take care, and many blessings for peace...
Judy, Angel Bud , and Harley.

Fishslayer
04-11-2009, 08:53 PM
RIP Nelson.

It sounds like you gave him a wonderful life.

Rick

Dollydog
04-12-2009, 05:46 AM
Hi Jenny,
I'm so sorry to hear of Nelson's passing....I can't believe the losses you've gone through in the past year. Your place must seem very strange right now. I hope the new dogs are keeping you busy enough.
I've never had the perfect dog but we did have the perfect cat. Bringing her home was one of the best spur-of-the-moment decisions I've ever made.
Please be good to yourself at this time,
(((HUGS)))
Jo-Ann & Lady

Carol G
04-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Jenny,

I am so sorry. My thoughts are with you.

Carol, Winnie (always), McGill & Atty Cat

Ricksma
04-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Jenny, I am so very sorry to hear that you have lost sweet Nelson, but you can take comfort in his long and happy life with you. Losing two so quickly is so hard, but we are here for you. God bless.

Teresa

frijole
04-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Hi Jen

I just learned of Nelson's passing. I am so sorry. I really enjoyed his story that you shared with us. He seemed to be a very special little guy. Hang in there as you have been thru a lot in such a short time. Thanks for sharing his story.

Kim

bgdavis
04-13-2009, 07:46 AM
Jenny,

I'm so sorry that you had to lose Nelson over the Easter weekend. I know that Buddy was excited to see his friend. I hope knowing that they are together again brings you some relief.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy

Cara's Mom
04-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Jenny, I am so sorry for your loss. Nelson must have been the perfect dog and you must miss him a lot. He is safe now and Polly will greet him at the bridge together with Buddy.

My thoughts are with you.

Hugs