PDA

View Full Version : Lady JRT Diabetes and Cushing's-Lady Has Gone to the Bridge

ladysmom06
03-28-2008, 06:39 AM
Lady is a Jack Russell Terrier who was 8 yrs old when she was dx with cushing's in Sept. 06. She was also diabetic at that time but the vet that was treating her missed the diabetes. Her story begins in May 06 when she started with what sounded like congestion. She was put on antibiotics and a steroid but the congestion wasn't going away. The vet thought maybe it was coming from her teeth - she had a lot of plaque. Routine blood work on the day of the cleaning showed her alk/phos was so high they couldn't measure it and the alt was also high. Vet said she might have cushing's. Lady had to have 11 teeth pulled that day and it took awhile for her mouth to heal. The congestion continued - she had been gaining weight - had a pot belly - could no longer jump on the furniture - and had a sore on her front paw that she would constantly lick. In Sept. she started drinking a lot of water and was having accidents in the house. She had an acth test done that showed she had cushing's. More blood work was done and they still couldn't measure her alk/phos and her alt was even higher. Also her bg was 413. When I questioned the vet about it he said it was from the cushing's. She was started on lysodren for the cushing's and after 2 1/2 days on it she became very sick. She started vomiting so vet had us stop the lyso and give her prednisone. We took her in to have her electrolytes checked and they were fine. The next day she had more vomiting and bloody diarrhea. Took her right to the vet's The vet who saw her that day dx her with diabetes - her bg was 450 - she also had a large amount of ketones. She weighed 15.08 lbs down from 17.48 lbs in the beginning of Sept. She was put on 3 units of Humulin N. We were devistated, worried and scared. I couldn't stop crying - was so scared we were going to lose her. Vet told us we had to get the diabetes under control first - she wasn't sure that Lady even had cushing's - said unregulated diabetes could give false positive on acth test and Lady had been on prednisone that summer. We could not get her bg's down - had to keep increasing the insulin. She was going for curves every couple of weeks. She continued to loose weight and in January 07 she was on 10 units of Humulin N and weighed 14 lbs. She was not herself. You could see just by looking at her how awful she felt. Would just lay in her bed all the time. She was retested for cushing's and all tests were positive. Her vet wanted us to see an IMS - she told us she had treated many patients with cushing's and many with diabetes but never a dog that had both diseases. The IMS said her physical exam was suspicious for cushing's - thinning of fur and flaky skin - pot bellied apperance. He said it was difficult to make the dx of cushing's because in July the blood abnormalities could have been from the steroid usage and in Sept. when she was tested for cushing's she was diabetic. Diabetes can cause similar liver enzyme and cholesterol elevation and can also lead to false positive cushing's tests. She also had an abdominal ultrasound done which did not reveal evidence of adrenal gland enlargement. He wanted us to switch the insulin to Vetsulin and if she requires dose escalation in the range to suggest insulin resistance we would then treat her for cushing's. She was started on Vetsulin and we had to keep increasing the dose. She was on 10 units twice daily and now weighed 13 lbs. We switched back to humulin N and her dose was back up to 10 units twice a day - she was still unregulated. IMS wanted to start treating the cushing's and she was put on 60 mgs of trilostane and he had us reduce the insulin to 7 units because he anticipated the insulin needs would decrease as we treated the cushing's. After 2 days on the trilo she started vomiting. I thought oh no! here we go again. We stopped the trilo for a couple of weeks and then restarted at a lower dose - 30 mgs. and she did fine. Firtst acth test was done after 10 days on the trilo and her cortisol was coming down but her curve showed her diabetes still unregulated. We had to increase the insulin again - she ended up being on 11 units 2x's a day. After being on the trilo for a few more weeks I did a spot check on her and was shocked to see a reading in the 100's. We reduced the insulin but a few days later she started vomiting and when I checked her the bg was only 70. Gave her something to eat and rushed her to the vet's. Bg had come back up by then so the insulin was reduced to 5 units 2x's a day. This all happened at the end of May 07 and she's been on the same dose since then. It wasn't until June that she really started having good bg's. Her trilo has been adjusted after her acth tests. At one point she was up to 120 mgs. but has been reduced since.

Today her cushing's and diabetes are both under control:D:D:D:D. It took us a long time to get where we are today but she is back to being the little terrier she was before all this started. There are still somethings she can't do - like jump up on the furniture - but she does try. She is very happy, alert and full of energy. She is on 30 mgs of trilostane, 5 units of Humulin 2x's a day, fish oil, pet vitamin and cosequin. I also home cook for her and she finally gained some weight. I hope Lady's story can offer hope to all those just starting out on this journey. I'm sure Lady would of never made it if it wasn't for the wonderful vet and IMS who take care of her. Also the wonderful, caring people on the cushing's and diabetes board who have helped us along our way. Hugs to all.

BestBuddy
03-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Hi Lynne,
Lady has had a really tough time. It seems strange when you put it all in words and read it back and realise your actually made it through. I can see the smile as you were ending as it worked out fine. You have done such a great job with Lady and she is here and happy because of you. Well done.
Jenny & Buddy

rhodesian46
03-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Hey Lynne and Jenny I bet you got some grey hairs with Lady Pebbles is making my hair all grey!!! Stress and worry. Hope I can say that I have pebbles regulated. I am almost there!!! Just wish Pebbles hair would grow in!

eyelostit
03-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Boy what bad ride you had for you and Lady, I'm so glad things are better.

My other dog has cushings, i decided not to go with treatment, after the 1 drug and his vomiting I could not go thru with it, anyway he's had cushings for 2 yrs now, still doing good, he is 14 now.

He did lose hair at first, but it did grow back, he also got those raised little bumps, but they all left except 3 on his hind leg

I'm happy for you:)

Kiska'smom
03-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi Lynne,

I enjoyed reading Lady's (and your) bio! It is an inspiration. I wish that Kiska was doing better, but she has just been on Atypcial Cushing's treatment for one and a half months, and on insulin since March 3. It seems like soooo much longer! You and Lady give us hope, though! Thanks!

Jeanne and Kiska

Ricksma
04-01-2008, 05:46 AM
Lynne, Lady's story is an inspiration to everyone who has a baby with diabetes or Cushings...you are like a lot of the rest of us. I bet we are all stubborn as mules...just not a whole lot of giving up in any of us. I know you feel that Lady wouldn't be here today without her wonderful vet, but I know she wouldn't be here today without you. God bless you.

Love and hugs, Teresa and Ricky

ladysmom06
04-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for all the kind replies. I never thought we would be able to get Lady's diabetes and cushing's under control. We had a lot of setbacks along the way but thankfully everything worked out.

I have a question - how long is a bottle of insulin good for? I remember reading somewhere that you should only use it for so long. Lady only gets 5 units 2 x's a day so a bottle last awhile. She has been having good bg's but the other day I did a spot check on her and she was 347 - that was about 11 hrs. after insulin. At that time she is usually around 140 something. Don't know if she got into something or if it was the insulin. I had about 1/4 of the bottle left. I bought a new bottle and have been doing a curve today and so far her #'s are where they usually are. I always write in her journal when I start a new bottle of insulin but for some reason this last time I didn't. TIA. Hugs to all.

ladysmom06
04-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Hi all,

Can someone tell me how long I should use a bottle of insulin? I did start a new bottle on Monday night. The curve I did on Lady was really good on Tuesday. The highest was 219 - 2 hrs. after food and insulin. That # was better than the last curve I did 2 wks before when it was 291. Natalie I talked to you before about that morning # and I didn't change a thing and it was lower this time - can't figure that one out. The rest of the day she was in the 100's. I still don't know if that high reading on Sunday was from the insulin being to old or if she got into something on one of our walks. Hugs to all.

Kiska'smom
04-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Hi Lynne,

When I first started Kiska on insulin, the pharmacy tech at Walmart told me that an opened bottle was good for six weeks. (We are using ReliOn Novolin N.) I have been looking over the package insert, and it just says not to use it after the expiration date printed on the vial, or if the liquid remains clear after the vial has been gently agitated. It also says not to use it if the white deposit at the bottom of the vial looks lumpy or granular. I can't see any information about the length of time that it can last in the refrigerator. I'll bet that Natalie will know! You could also call the place where you get it and ask how long it should last.

I'm glad that Lady's numbers have come back down to normal. I can't imagine just using five units for an injection! We're up to 34! My insulin vial doesn't last too long. I don't think that I will ever have to worry about it going bad! You are smart to keep a journal. I have one, too; and I refer to it all of the time!

Hugs to you and scratchies for Lady!

Jeanne and Kiska

ladysmom06
04-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Hi Jeanne,

A bottle of insulin lasts me longer than 6 weeks for Lady. I'm thinking maybe that's why her # was so high the other day. After only 2 doses on the new bottle she was back to normal. I'm leaning more towards the higher # coming from the insulin.

As for the journal it really is a good idea - I would never be able to remember everything we've done with her if I didn't write it down - you know those senior moments - I seem to be having more and more of them -lol. Thanks for the reply and hugs to you and Kiska.

We Hope
04-03-2008, 04:33 PM
There are more answers on how long opened insulin keeps than there are people running for President. :)

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/26/9/2665

Diabetes Care, September, 2003

"How Long Should Insulin Be Used Once a Vial Is Started?" Martin M. Grajower, MD

An exam review for pharmacists lists vials of human insulin as 30 days unrefrigerated and 3 months refrigerated.

You'll see that every pharma had a different answer when asked. There were even more different answers when someone from Europe replied to this article:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/content/full/27/5/1225#T1

Diabetes Care, 2004

"Insulin Storage in Europe"

When we used the old Lilly pork Lente, we used 2.5 units twice a day, so we didn't use it very quickly either. I could keep a vial refrigerated for close to 3 months without losing potency.

http://petswithdiabetes.yuku.com/topic/2638/t/How-Long-Can-Opened-Vials-Of-Insulin-Be-Used.html

"I'll go on record by saying that I'm able to keep a vial of Iletin refrigerated for about 3 months before it starts to lose potency."

When we switched to Caninsulin/Vetsulin, this was the first time we ever were able to use a vial to the last drop; I'd always have about 1/3 to 1/4 of the old Lily vial left when it started losing potency.

Here's some of the things which can go wrong with insulin-

http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Regulation_problems#Insulin_problems

What I always did with a new vial was to write the date I started it on the front of the box. It then "reminded" me twice daily as to how old it was.

Kiska'smom
04-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi Lynne,

Senior moments? I have cornered the market on those! I have to write down everything! My life is planned out on lists. Thank goodness for Kiska's journal. My brain is like a sieve. I really do miss my mind!!! I guess if it really gets bad, I won't remember that I forgot something! Ha!

Jeanne and Kiska

forscooter
04-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Hey Lynne,

I do the same...write the date on the box the vial comes in so I know when I opened it. Same with the Ketostix I use bc they are only good for 6 months. Although I get the individually foil-wrapped ones now bc I never go through a whole bottle in 6 months (knock on wood!!!).

The other thing I was told and my doc does with me is get enough so I always have a fresh unopened unexpired vial I keep in the fridge. Sometimes, insulin can go bad before its time and you just don't know. This way, if I have a high, and I can't get it down after two attempts, I am to use insulin from the new bottle to make sure it isn't the insulin.

Of course, with this body, it's always ME! I never had it be bc of the insulin! :rolleyes: I need a brand new ME!!!:cool:
Lots of hugs! Beth and the boys

ladysmom06
04-06-2008, 06:47 AM
Hi all!

Thanks for all the links and info. Writing the date on the box of insulin is a good idea - makes a lot of sense - don't know why I didn't think of that one. Hugs to all.

We Hope
04-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Hey Lynne,

I do the same...write the date on the box the vial comes in so I know when I opened it. Same with the Ketostix I use bc they are only good for 6 months. Although I get the individually foil-wrapped ones now bc I never go through a whole bottle in 6 months (knock on wood!!!).

The other thing I was told and my doc does with me is get enough so I always have a fresh unopened unexpired vial I keep in the fridge. Sometimes, insulin can go bad before its time and you just don't know. This way, if I have a high, and I can't get it down after two attempts, I am to use insulin from the new bottle to make sure it isn't the insulin.

Of course, with this body, it's always ME! I never had it be bc of the insulin! :rolleyes: I need a brand new ME!!!:cool:
Lots of hugs! Beth and the boys

Individually wrapped Ketostix: :)

http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/ud05.pdf

Page 31 (3 of 6)

"Individually wrapped Ketostix will not expire for 2 to 3 years. This gets around the problem of having to throw any unused Ketostix away once the bottle has been open for six months. Ask your pharmacist to order them if he/she does not have them. The Bayer product number for ordering is 2640 (20 foiled strips)."

forscooter
04-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Yes, there they are! :D Love the individual ones! Plus I can keep some in my purse, some in my bathroom, some at work...etc...
also wanted to throw out there that you can order them online at drugstore.com.
Best things ever!
Beth, Scooter and Bailey

Kiska'smom
04-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi Lynne,

I was just checking in! Hope things are going well!

Hugs,

Jeanne and Kiska

ladysmom06
04-08-2008, 04:58 AM
Hi Jeanne,

Thanks for checking in on us. I had to call the vet yesterday. Lady last saw her at the beginning of March and she said she wouldn't need to see her for another 3 months for her acth and blood work. So it's only a month:mad::mad: and we have to go in on Thursday. She is licking her front paw like crazy - this has been a problem in the past but the past few months she hasn't been doing it. It's getting red and I don't want her to get another sore on it. It took us months to get the last one to heal. We've had a lot of rain here lately so I'm hoping it's allergies. Also the past few days when she sits her bottom isn't touching the floor. It's really weird b/c she is still running and jumping off the furniture more than before. I also think that her fur looks thinner - my husband doesn't think it does so I'm hoping it just my imagination. Her last acth had her with a pre 2.3 and post 2.5 so I can't imagine that her cortisol is up. She is shedding a lot right now but it's that time of the year. Her bg's were good last week when I did a curve but I'm hoping to do another one before Thursday. I'll tell ya they sure keep us on our toes. Always something to worry about with these little fur babies. I'll let you know what the vet has to say. Hugs to you and Kiska.

Kiska'smom
04-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Hi Lynne,

It must be the season. My husky, Sammie, is chewing her paws and rubbing her snout on the rugs! I have been giving her Benadryl. I think that it is helping a little. My snout isn't quite raw yet, but it will be! Oh, how I hate allergy season!

Poor Lady. I'm sorry that her fur seems to be thinning. Maybe she is just getting ready for Bikini season! Her numbers look good. Let me know what the vet prescribes for the sore paw. I'm sure that Sammie will need something stronger before long. Heck, my vet hasn't gotten any money from me in a month! The puppy gods are sure to come down on me soon! Yes, please do let me know how the vet visit goes!

Hugs,

Jeanne and Kiska

rhodesian46
04-09-2008, 03:31 PM
lynne, Let me know what the vet says tomorrow never fails as soon as we get a break from vet bills another one occurs!! Hugs to sweet Lady!!!!

Dollydog
04-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi Lynne,
Hope it's something simple and easy to fix tomorrow. Don't know anything about how long a vial of insulin lasts as we go through a vial so fast. When I'm planning out when I need to buy more I allow 16-17 days for a vial and always have 2 vials at home. We're now 200 miles from a vet clinic so I have to be very vigilant. :eek:
Will check back tomorrow, take care,
Jo-Ann & Lady :)

rhodesian46
04-10-2008, 03:07 PM
How did your your appointment with the vet go today Lynne?????

Dollydog
04-10-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm checking in too...will check back later to see how things went. Just been to the Cushings site and nothing there.

ladysmom06
04-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi all,

Saw the vet today. She was very pleased:D:D with the way Lady looked and how she was acting. She didn't think her fur looked thinner - so I guess it's just my :eek:imagination. She gave us an antibiotic (simplicef) for the paw - said it wasn't infected yet but we need to keep any eye on it - wants her to take benadryl 2 x's a day - we talked about an ointment for it but decided against it for now - when we do use one I have to put the cone on her if not she just licks the med right off. As for the way she's been sitting - she can't see any reason why she's doing it from the exam she gave her - said everything looked good. She wants to x-ray her hip when we do the teeth cleaning since she'll be under anesthesia. When she sits her hip is sticking out a little on the side. We talked about the teeth cleaning -Lady has a lot of plaque and hasn't had her teeth cleaned since the summer of 06 - I scheduled it for April 30th - told her how concerned I was with Lady having anesthesia - she told me she feels she'll do fine and with all the plaque she has she's concerned about the bacteria and told me all the problems it can cause. Told me not to give her anything after 8:30 the night before - in the morning give her half of her insulin and then bring her in. She will be the first patient that morning. She said they'll do blood work first and give her a antibiotic in the iv before they start - they'll also check her bg's a few times while she's there. Doesn't want her to have any trilostane that day. The anal glands were fine and her weight is holding steady. So we still don't know why she's sitting the way she is but it isn't keeping her from doing things. Hugs to all.

k9diabetes
04-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Chris has done really really well with Simplicef.

Glad Lady got a good report from the vet - it seemed to me that she was on the ball about preparing Lady for anesthesia with half her normal insulin. I like that better than no insulin at all.

We are very fortunate - Chris won't let us brush his teeth but he will let us scale the plaque off. Weird... but it keeps his teeth in great shape. I guess it's kind of similar to when we lay him on his side to do a blood glucose check so he's used to us fussing with his mouth that way.

Natalie

Dollydog
04-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi Lynne,
Glad to hear the visit went so well. Will be thinking of you on the 30th.
My Lady gets all her insulin and breakfast when she's had her teeth done. I think she even gets her trilo, too....can't remember that part though! But she doesn't go to the clinic till 10:00am so maybe that's the difference. Food and injection here are at 6am.
Take care,

rhodesian46
04-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi Lynne,
Your vet sounds like she is confident that all will go well with her teeth cleaning. We are worry warts I know Glad everything turned out fine and you got your answers. Hugs to Lady from Pebbles and me!!!:D

forscooter
04-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Hey Lynne,
Checking in on the vet visit! Glad you got some answers....and some antibiotics!

I don't want to scare you, but I thought it would be better if I forewarn you....and hopefully, it won't apply to Lady...but I wish I had known ahead of time. Sometimes the hip x-rays can leave the pup a bit sore so if Lady acts sore, it will most likely be due to that. Just in case she seems not up to snuff afterwards. Bailey had them before and we got home and he wasn't right. Whiny and clingy and looked stiff....I later found out it was bc of the position they are in for the x-ray. Maybe they found a different way to do it as this was when he was only 4. A friend of mine was a vet tech and she explained it as far as the positioning and all....then it all made sense. It passed in a day or two, I thought you'd want to know.

Will be, as always, sending only my very very best wishes!!!! Beth and the boys

BestBuddy
04-10-2008, 08:27 PM
Hi Lynne,
Lady will do fine under the anesthetic. Since Buddy's diabetes dx he has had about three for dental and the last one for the eye surgery. With the dental I didn't change anything just fed and injected at 6am and he was done after lunch and was ready to come home around 5 and wanted his tea and got his normal insulin that night. We did the no food and half insulin last time with the eye surgery and he also did fine except he was home around 3 and yelped at me for over 2 hours for his tea! The only thing with the dental is the mouth may be a little sore for a few days so soft food is better.
Jenny & Buddy

ladysmom06
04-11-2008, 06:26 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for all the encouragement for the dental work. After talking to the vet I feel better but I'm still concerned - I am a worry wart. Guess I'll have to have a couple of TINKLE TONICS;);) that day.

Beth - the vet did say it would be better to x-ray the hip while she was under anesthesia - said it would be easier on Lady bc of the position she has to be in. Thanks for the heads up on her maybe being sore after.

Jenny - Lady is on a soft diet now so that should help with the mouth soreness. Last time she had it done she had 11 teeth pulled:mad: and she was on kibbles. I had to soak them in water to make them soft.

JoAnn & Marianne - Lady gets insulin and food @ 6 AM and she has to be at the vet's by 7. They will check her bg's a few times while she's there.

Natalie - Lady has been on the simplicef a couple times before and has never had a problem with it. Your lucky that Chris will let you near his mouth. Lady won't let me brush her teeth - I have to put the toothpaste on my fingers and she'll lick it off but that's about all she'll let me do. Her chart at the vet's even has written on it - care around the face.

Forgot to mention we did talk about how she falls sometimes when she's running. It's from the lexating petella - it hasn't gotten any worse since last year but the vet said we could do surgery for it in the future. Don't even want to think about that now. It doesn't seem to be bothering her right now - when she does fall she gets right back up and keeps running. She does run funny but at least she's running:):).

Thanks again for all the help and encouragement. It's really great:D:D that we have a place to go and dicuss all our fears. The majority of my family and friends think we're nuts with all the money and time we spend on Lady. Most times I don't even bother to tell them what's going on with her. Haven't even mentioned the dental work to them - they just don't get it. Don't know what I do without you guys. Hugs to all.

Kiska'smom
04-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Hi Lynne,

Now I'm up-to-date with Lady! Sounds as if things are going well for her! I can imagine how worried you are about the dental cleaning and hip xrays. Even when our pups look like they are doing well, we know how fragile they can be. Your vet sounds like a good one, though! I'm sure that Miss Lady will be fine. Kiska had a hip xray when she was two. She has hip dysplasia, and she sits funny. One leg is always out to the side; but she has always been that way. I can't think of another reason for Lady's new position! Like Beth said, Lady might be a little sore after the xray procedure. Kiska was laid on her back and her hips pushed down onto the table. I guess that could make a girl sore!

I'll check in again later. I'm so glad that Lady got a good report from the vet!

Jeanne and Kiska

ladysmom06
04-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Well tomorrow is the day Lady has the dental cleaning and hip x-ray. I AM A NERVOUS WRECK- couldn't sleep last night and my stomach is in knots. I know I have to have it done - her breath is getting worse. If you are sitting next to her when she is licking her paw you have to move - the smell is horrible. Last week I did a few spot checks on her and her bg's were a little higher than normal. I'm thinking it's probably from her teeth or the vitamin she is on. So please keep Lady in your thoughts and prayers and I'll post after I have her home. Hugs to all.

BestBuddy
04-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Lynne,
I am sending positive thoughts for an quick and easy surgery and a quick recovery for Lady.
Jenny & Buddy

k9diabetes
04-29-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi Lynne,

Thanks for the reminder about Lady's procedures tomorrow.

I know it's scary but so is what can happen to them if their teeth are causing problems.

The year before Chris developed diabetes, he chewed too hard on a knuckle bone he got for Christmas and cracked the whole face of one of the big molar type teeth in back off. He had to have that huge tooth extracted and he bounced right back with no problems. I kept looking at that giant space in his jaw and thinking I'd have done a LOT more whining! ;)

We will have everything here crossed for Lady to glide through it all and bounce back quickly so that your worry will have been in vain!

Natalie, Chris, and the cats

k9diabetes
04-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Just checking in on Lady. Hope she's through her dental and starting to feel perky again.

ladysmom06
04-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi Jenny & Natalie,

Lady is home - we picked her up @ 4:00. This is the first chance I've had to post. She did really well - only needed one tooth pulled. The hip x-ray showed a little arthritis in one spot on her lumbar spine but her hips looked good - so vet is thinking maybe that's why she's sitting the way she is. She is on metacam for the next couple of days and we'll see if there is any change in the way she sits - vet thinks she might have some pain from the arthritis. Her bg's were good in the morning - in the middle hundreds - then they were getting a little low so the vet put some dextrose in her iv. When we picked her up it was 201 - vet only wanted her to have half of her insulin tonight and normal amount of food. She has been crying off and on since she came home and just wants my husband or me to hold her. She did the same thing the last time she had her teeth cleaned. She did eat all her dinner. So all in all a good report. Thanks for your concern and positive thoughts.

Forgot to add- no more stinky breath - now it smells fresh and minty.

rhodesian46
04-30-2008, 04:35 PM
yeah Lynne!!
I am so glad Lady did fine! Don't know about her Momma today It all worked out well have had a busy day today Will e mail you tomorrow as I am exhausted. Hugs to Lady from Pebbles and I!!

k9diabetes
04-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Yay!! :) :)

So glad to hear she's all done and starting to recover! Hope you both get a good night's sleep tonight and feel much much better in the morning.

Sending her a gentle pat on the head,

Natalie

BestBuddy
05-01-2008, 12:35 AM
I knew she would be fine but I'm glad it's over. Sending extra gentle loving Lady's way.
Jenny & Buddy

ladysmom06
05-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Hi all! I'm going to copy the post I left on the cushing's board - to lazy to write it again - lol

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. Lady is a little better today but not back to 100% yet. Last night she didn't sleep very well - was up a lot crying - I felt so bad for her. It's really heartbreaking when they cry. This morning she ate all her breakfast and had her full dose of insulin. Went for a little walk but didn't want to stay out for long - is still crying but nothing like last night and still wants to be held. Yesterday when she was at the vet's we had a couple of electricans working here at the house - when she came home she didn't even bark at them - very unlike her. Today when they showed up she barked as usual - so that's a good sign that she's on the road to recovery. Thanks for all the well wishes. Hugs to all.

Kiska'smom
05-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Hi Lynne,

I am so glad to hear that Lady is on the mend! A little barky-Bob action usually means that they are feeling better! I know that it has been hard on her and you! So, hopefully things will just keep improving! Give her a love-pat for me!

Hugs,

Jeanne and Kiska

ladysmom06
05-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Hi all,

Anybody here ever use Zeniquin or Clemastine? The sore Lady has on her paw is getting worse:mad::mad: and the vet just prescribed these 2 drugs for her today. She was on simplicef and benadryl but they weren't helping. She's been licking her paw like crazy. I did some reading on both drugs and it said to consult the vet if the dog was on any supplements or vitamins. Lady is on a multi vitamin with minerals, milk thistle, cosequin and fish oil. Of course the vet's office is closed now so I held off giving her the meds till I talk to her vet. Thanks.

rhodesian46
05-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi Lynne,
Neverheard of those meds Hope Lady will stop licking her paw!!Lady listen to your Mommy!!!

k9diabetes
05-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Drug Interactions
Compounds (e.g., sucralfate, antacids, and mineral supplements) containing divalent and trivalent cations (e.g., iron, aluminum, calcium, magnesium, and zinc) can interfere with the absorption of quinolones which may result in a decrease in product bioavailability. Therefore, the concomitant oral administration of quinolones with foods, supplements, or other preparations containing these compounds should be avoided.

It looks like with the antibiotic, Zeniquin (marbofloxacin), it's mainly minerals - iron, aluminum, calcium, magnesium, and zinc - and they would reduce the effectiveness of the antibiotic.

Might be a good to skip the multivitamin for a while, which shouldn't hurt anything short term. At least until you can ask the vet.

I didn't see a warning on the Clemastine, which is basically Tavist, anti-histamine.

Cosequin and Fish Oil you could skip for one day without a problem. The effects of both tend to build over time and one missed dose should not be a big deal.

I have never used milk thistle but similarly suspect that one missed dose would not be a big problem.

Have they done a sensitivity test to make sure the bug is sensitive to the antibiotic they switched to?

Chris' eye ulcerations would improve with an antibiotic and anti-histamine but did not go away until we used an immune-quieting ointment. If this next round of antibiotics doesn't do it, and especially if they cultured it and it's sensitive to the antibiotic and still isn't going away, that they might want to consider this having an autoimmune component, like Chris' eye problem. I'm actually fairly convinced that Chris' foot problem a couple of years ago was related to his more recent eye ulcerations, which is why it took so long for it to go away.

Natalie

rhodesian46
06-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Lynne,
How is Lady doing?

ladysmom06
06-02-2008, 04:18 AM
Hi Natalie and Marianne,

I held off giving the meds until I talked to vet. She said they would be ok to give with the supplements. Gave her 2 doses of the antihistamine and had to stop - it was making her too drowsy but when she's awake she's licking the paw like crazy. Going to call the vet again today and see if there's another one we could try. She does have a topical ointment I put on but I have to put the collar on her when I use it. Of course the minute the collar comes off she's right back to licking. She has had these sores off and on over the years. The one thing that would help were drops called Synotic but we can't use them now b/c of the diabetes and cushing's. She was on Hydroxzine - an antihistamine 2 years ago and I don't remember her being drowsy on it. I'll have to check and see what's in that. Other than the sore on the paw she is really doing well:D:D. Not due for another ACTH till September. Blood work they did the day of the dental was all good. I just worry that this sore will become infected and start messing up her bg's. Always something to worry about.

BestBuddy
06-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi Lynne,
I hope you can get some relief for Lady's licking. Is the skin broken or just red?
Buddy has never had this problem but Phoebe has a small warty thing on her leg that she won't stop licking and if I let her she will make it bleed. The only thing I have used on her is the bitter spray and that stops her licking it but it never goes away. I'm sure half of her problem is psychological but that is another story!
Jenny & Buddy

ladysmom06
06-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi Jenny,

The antibiotic seems to be working:D:D. The skin is broken a little in one spot and the paw was really red but this afternoon it's not as red. Like I said earlier it's been an on going problem. It always starts in the spring and the rains makes it worse. The vet said something last week about keeping her on the antibiotic for awhile this time. She was on the last antibiotic for a month and the sore was better but as soon she finishes the antibiotic it comes back. Kind of like Percy - lol. Hugs to you and the gang.

ladysmom06
07-01-2008, 12:24 PM
An update on Lady - she finished the antibiotic last Thursday for the sore on her paw. She was on Zeniquin for 28 days - the sore is better but not gone. I'm waiting for a call from the vet. Today I did some spot checking on her and I'm not liking what I'm seeing - @ 9:26 306, that was 3 hrs. after food and shot - 238 @ 10:42 and 255 @ 12:36 pm. On last Thursday her #'s were in all the hundreds except for a 213 2 hrs after food and shot. For some reason that we can never figure out that first one in the morning - 2 hrs after food and insulin is always in the low 200's but since the rest of the day and night she's in the 100's I don't worry about it. I'm wondering if maybe her cortisol has gone higher. Her last stim test was in March and was 2.5 - the vet didn't think we needed to repeat it until Sept. unless I noticed any change in her. Since she still has the sore, now her bg's are up and she is panting a lot I'm going to take her for an ACTH next week. She does seem to be sleeping a lot more. Nothing has changed as far as her diet or doseage on insulin. Any ideas what could be going on ? Hugs to all.

rhodesian46
07-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi Lynne,
You are starting that testing again!!! How funny I did a bg on Pebbles 10 hrs after insulin It was 255. I am freaking too. We need to stop testing so much and stop worrying.You don't usually test as much so maybe Lady goes high one day and good the next. I know I test when I worry too!!!Sometimes there isn't an answer as to why it is higher than other days If there aren't any clinical signs don't worry. Sometimes I think that the Bgs are lower when they are on antibiotics and sometimes I can't friggin figure it out.Haven't heard from Dr Stone yet Am ready with my questions Will call you tonight if I hear from him BTW I find that all my doggies are sleeping alot except for the 1 yr olds They are hyper It is hot here THey run out and pee and cry to come back in Pebbles of course isn't very active anyway. I don't remember when she was hyper! She does though strutt her stuff on her walk That is about it. Maybe occasionally chases a squirrel.Hugs to Lady from Pebbles and !!I

ladysmom06
07-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Hi Marianne,

Yeah, I'm testing more again. I just have a gut feeling that something is going on. I did talk to her vet and she wants to see her on Monday. She wants to do an ACTH, urine, super chem and a couple of bg checks. Also she wants to take a look at the paw. There are a few clinical signs that have me concerned - the panting being the biggest one. Last year it was really hot too but she wasn't panting like she is now. When she comes in from being outside it takes her a really long time to stop panting. That is new. Also her alk/ph has been slowly rising - in Jan it was 69, March 162 and in April 212 - she's on milk thistle now - interesting to see if that's doing anything and she's really shedding a ton but still has a lot of fur. Hopefully we'll find something out next week. Let me know what Dr. Stone has to say. Take care and hugs to you, Pebbles and the rest of the gang.

Debbie & Apollo
07-01-2008, 04:20 PM
HI --
I got a flyer in the mail today from PetMeds. and I noticed...
They have the topics of Diabetes, Addison's and Cushings...
anyhow -- with the Cushings they are promoting (selling) SAMe for the Cushing's disease.

I am also using Milk Thistle (in evening) with Apollo -- and I have started Apollo on Denosyl in the mornings...

I may have missed in your thead the supplements you are giving...anyhow -- just wanted to mention it... as a thought/consideration.

I'll be anxious to hear if the Milk Thistle has helped.

Debbie and Apollo

ladysmom06
07-02-2008, 04:13 AM
Hi Debbie,

Lady takes cosequin and fish oil with breakfast, pet multi vitamin, milk thistle and fish oil at dinner. I'm going to talk to the vet on Monday about adding Denosyl. I'll let you know if the milk thistle is helping. Hugs to you and Appolo.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

ladysmom06
07-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Have a couple of questions-

I check Lady from the ear. It is becoming more difficult. I am thinking of switching to her lip - can I use a muzzle if I do the lip and where is the best place to do it? The ear is ok to do a couple spot checks but I really need to do a curve this weekend and at this time the ear isn't the best place to do one. She moves her around so much and sometimes I can't get a good bead of blood and have to prick her a few times. I know this really has to hurt her:(. I need all the help and tips I can get:confused::confused:.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

k9diabetes
07-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi Lynne,

You can see how I test Chris on the BG test videos page: www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html (http://www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html). Also Ginny's video is a little small but you can get a feel for how she tests Starz' lip.

There are several other tutorials linked there, including one who uses the pad at the dew claw and a tutorial for using the back at the base of the tail, which tends to work really well for small dogs so you might consider that method also.

You can lance the lip on the inside or the outside or right on the edge... not sure how much lip Lady's muzzel leaves exposed but if there's space to do it, go for it. I usually lance in the general vicinity of the canine teeth, to the right or left of them. But I work Chris' lip quite far back from the canines so use pretty much the whole front 2/3s.

I'll go back from here too and pull the AlphaTrak link that We Hope posted as I believe there's a lip testing tutorial there as well.

Natalie

k9diabetes
07-03-2008, 01:15 PM
From We Hope's earlier thread:

This is part of the video demos for the Alpha Trak meter. What's interesting here is that the video shows you how to obtain a blood sample from a dog on not just the ear, but also shows the lip stick and callus stick methods.

http://www.alphatrakmeter.com/vetPro...ood_Sample.swf (http://www.alphatrakmeter.com/vetProfessionals/seminars/videos/AlphaTRAK/AlphaTRAK_FINAL_Blood_Sample.swf)
http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/images/misc/progress.gif

We Hope
07-03-2008, 02:00 PM
We have links to pages for the following test areas too:

http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/lip_stick.htm

Inner Lip

http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/outside_lip_stick.htm

Outer Lip

http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/tail_testing.htm

Base of Tail

http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/leg_callous_stick.htm

Callus Stick

http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/nail_prick.htm

Nailbed Stick

ladysmom06
07-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi Natalie and We Hope,

I can't open the video of Natalie testing Chris or the alphatrac one:mad::mad: - can open all the other ones. I'm thinking it's my computer - I'll try again later. I did try Lady's tail when I was first starting to hometest - I could never get enough blood there. Thanks for all you help.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

k9diabetes
07-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Do you use a lancet or a lancing device?

The video of Chris takes a while to load... were you able to download but couldn't view?

Natalie

k9diabetes
07-03-2008, 04:04 PM
My computer runs the video of Chris in Quicktime. I believe the AlphaTrak video is a Flash video.

k9diabetes
07-03-2008, 04:12 PM
The outer lip tutorial that We Hope listed above gives a pretty good idea of how it's done as it has multiple pictures.

I test Chris on the inside of the lip so I fold his upper lip up to expose the underside, use a Softclix lancing device that only has to be set on 1.5 or 2.0 to get a good drop of blood, and pull the skin taut between two fingers where I want to lance.

If you use furry skin, a bit of petroleum jelly on the skin will help the blood drop form a bead.

On the back, most people have to use the lancet by hand rather than with a lancing device and some folks poke twice close together so two small drops meld into one bigger one.

What meter do you use? Does it require a lot of blood?

I can set up some still shots of Chris being tested.

But since you will need to use a muzzle, I'm guessing you will want to use the edge or the outside of the lip.

You could do the curve from a variety of places... a few from the lip, a few from the ear.

Also you can put a little pressure and/or warmth on the skin on the back at the tail to encourage blood flow. Sometimes I use the lancing device to first apply a little pressure to the area I want to lance. That pushes the blood out and then it flows back in (capillary refill) and makes it easier to get a good drop of blood.

I think your best bet since you need the muzzle would be to check out the outer lip link We Hope provided and then just experiment to see what works for Lady.

Natalie

ladysmom06
07-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Natalie - I use a lancet. When I click on the link for Chris's video - media player comes on but nothing plays. I was able to watch the alphatrak video. I'm thinking I might try the footpad. Dumb question here - does it matter if I use the front or back paw?

k9diabetes
07-03-2008, 04:17 PM
:) Perhaps start with one farthest from her teeth!!

Seriously... I don't think it would matter which one.

My guess is that your computer is downloading Chris' video and just hasn't finished - it's a very large file... I need to compress it into a smaller version.

Natalie

ladysmom06
07-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Natalie - I use the one touch ultra - it doesn't require a lot of blood. Lady's bg's have been high the past couple of days so I really need to do a curve. We are going to the vet on Monday for some tests and I wanted to have the curve done before that. Can't figure out why she is running high. Last week her bg's were great. Her fasting tonight was 181 - it usually between 120 and 140. Thanks again for all your help.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

k9diabetes
07-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Good luck with the new test site!!

I DON'T want to have to actually poke Chris directly with a lance... my issue... so I'm forever grateful that the lip works for him.

I don't know if there's always a reason for a higher BG... and it could be lots of little reasons mixed up together... pollen, heat, cold, a natural wobble. Sometimes they just need an adjustment to the insulin dose. As long as the BG responds to an increase in insulin, it's not really something worry about if all else seems fine.

Chris' dose varies within a small range constantly and since we are using faster acting insulin, I don't worry too much about changing his dose according to his needs day to day.

We Hope
07-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Lynne,

You mentioned that Media Player comes up for you when you try viewing Natalie's video. If you don't have it, you need the Apple QuickTime player to see Chris "in action". It works fine with Windows systems--I have a player on mine.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Maybe this will help! :)

ladysmom06
07-06-2008, 01:14 PM
I have QuickTime but it still doesn't open.

Well I tried to test Lady's lip with the muzzle on - couldn't get her mouth opened wide enough - tried without the muzzle - she snapped at me and then tried to bite my hand. Tried the foot pad and couldn't get any blood so it has to be the ear - sometimes I can get her to stay still but more often I need someone to hold her head. Couldn't do the curve today - most of the day I was here by myself. I did manage to get 2 spot checks - 8:14 this morning it was 289, that was 2 hrs. after food and insulin and one @ 3:26 this afternoon it was 267. Hoping to get a fasting bg before dinner and a couple tonight. Can't wait till we get the ACTH, blood and urine work done tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

rhodesian46
07-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi Lynne,
Good luck atthe vets visit tomorrow. Lady Bgs was a little high today. Maybe she was stressed as she felt like a pin cushion!!! That would send her Bg higher. Call me Tuesday! Hugs to the little terror Lady!!!

ladysmom06
07-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Lady had all the tests done yesterday and we got the results back late this afternoon. Vet did a exam yesterday and was very pleased with how Lady looked and acted:):). She still has the sore on her paw:mad: - started her back on Zeniquin - she feels the paw is causing the higher bg's this past week. ACTH showed her cortisol is still a good range - 2.7. Alll her other bloodwork was good. Her alk/phos has come down since being on the milk thistle - was 212 in April now it's 186. She has only been on the milk thistle since the end of May. Her bg was 192 - great number for her a couple of hours after food and insulin. She wants to keep the insulin at 5 units and have me do a curve in 2 weeks - wants to give the antibiotic a chance to work. She faxed the IMS all Lady's blood work and ACTH test's since January - then talked to him and he is also very pleased with everything. He said to keep everything the same. She said the sore is called a lick granuloma (spelling). So all in all it was a good report:D:D:D:D. Hugs to all.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

We Hope
07-08-2008, 04:32 PM
HURRAY!

When the vets are happy, all of the worrying and pacing the floor can be forgotten, and it's "relax-time" a bit!

Dollydog
07-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi Lynne,
Glad to hear the good news about Lady...hope the antibiotic clears it all up this time. I dread anything happening to my Lady's paws...I'm always walking with my head down looking for things that could cut her feet.
I couldn't get any blood from a dew claw...she wouldn't even let me try and yelped when I just touched it with a lancet. I still use the skin tag on her leg but not sure I always get a pure sample.
Take care,

Brandy mom
07-08-2008, 06:55 PM
My first doberman Angle Sandy had a lick spot. That what I called it I could never remember the correct name. Some breeds are more prone to getting this. The vet told me the only way to stop it was to change her behavior. I tried everything. I put a sock on only to have her pull it off. I tried to use the sock with tape. Only to have her pull the tape off. I tried the stuff used by athlete only to have her get it off in two days. I then tried using a tube sock with the thing you can use to clip mitten on. I used a peice of elastic so I could loop it over her shoulders. This worked for a while until she learned she could chew through the sock. I know this sound mean. I bought Bitter Apple spay. I painted it on with a paint brush. I didn't know if it would sting the sore. This is the only thing that made her stop. Even after the sore healed i would catch her licking the spot again. So I would have to put the Bitter Apple on for a few days.

I so glad all the test came back great.

Dawn and the girls

k9diabetes
07-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Congratulations on all the good news! :)

ladysmom06
10-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Lady has an infection in both ears - left ear is worse than the right one. The vet has her on Baytril Otic. She was on this before for an ear infection back in January and had no problems with it. After what happened to Sue's Zoe from the cushing's board and reading the thread here on dogs going deaf from the same antibiotic Zoe was on - I'm a little concern about Lady being on this. Has anyone heard of any dogs having problems with the Baytril Otic. TIA.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

We Hope
10-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Lynne,

Here's the information on Baytril Otic:

http://www.drugs.com/vet/baytril-otic-enrofloxacin-silver-sulfadiazine-antibacterial-antimycotic-emulsion.html

Precautions

"The use of Baytril® Otic in dogs with perforated tympanic membranes (perforated eardrum)has not been evaluated. Therefore, the integrity of the tympanic membrane should be evaluated before administering this product. If hearing or vestibular dysfunction is noted during the course of treatment, discontinue use of Baytril® Otic.

"Quinolone-class drugs should be used with caution in animals with known or suspected Central Nervous System (CNS) disorders. In such animals, quinolones have, in rare instances, been associated with CNS stimulation which may lead to convulsive seizures.

"Quinolone-class drugs have been associated with cartilage erosions in weightbearing joints and other forms of arthropathy in immature animals of various species.

"The safe use of Baytril® Otic in dogs used for breeding purposes, during pregnancy, or in lactating bitches, has not been evaluated.

Adverse Reactions

"During clinical trials, 2 of 113 (1.7%) dogs exhibited reactions that may have resulted from treatment with Baytril® Otic. Both cases displayed local hypersensitivity responses of the aural epithelium to some component within the Baytril® Otic formulation. The reactions were characterized by acute inflammation of the ear canal and pinna."

http://www.sightstreet.com/Content/OpthalmicLibrary/neu_vertigo_csro1020.htm

Vestibular dysfunction in people explained.

Aural=of the ear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epithelium

"In biology and medicine, epithelium is a tissue composed of cells that line the cavities and surfaces of structures throughout the body."

Pinna=outer portion of the ear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinna_(anatomy)

"The pinna (Latin for feather) is the visible part of the ear that resides outside of the head (this may also be referred to as the auricle or auricula)."

HTH!

Kathy

ladysmom06
10-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the info. I didn't see loss of hearing as one of the side effects. The vet has Lady on this because the infection is a fungus and bacterial one. Like I said she was on this before and had no problems - hoping it's the same this time. She also has a sore on her other paw. The sore she had this past summer went completely away and about 3 weeks ago she started with one on the other paw. She is on Zenequin and I have a topical ointment to use on it. Thanks again.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

rhodesian46
10-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Poor Lady!!! Was she scratching at it.tilting hr head and was there a fowl smell to it? Pebbles sends kisses:D:D:D:D

ladysmom06
10-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi Marianne,

Yeah she was scratching the left ear and when I looked it was all red and did have a smell:eek::eek:. She never scratched the right one so I was surprise when the vet said that one was infected too. Lady sends kisses too:D:D.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

ladysmom06
02-18-2009, 06:12 AM
Hi all,

Been awhile since I posted on Lady - thought I give an update. Lady had a physical done in December. Her vet was very pleased with her - said that Lady looked the best she has since dx back in 06. She had her rabies shot and no reaction from it. This past Monday she had an ACTH test, blood work and urine test done. Her pre for the acth test was 1.3 and post was 3.2. Her blood work was great - bg was 178. Her alk ph continues to come down - in July it was 186 and now it's 148. It's been coming down since we put her on milk thistle. Urine was great too. Her weight has remained the same. She looks great:D:D - you would never know to look at her that she has both cushing's and diabetes. I see that we have some new members that are dealing with both diseases or in the process of being dx - just want you all to know that you can get both diseases regulated. Hugs to all.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

Cara's Mom
02-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Hi Lynne, I just love good news!!!!! Congratulations! I am very happy for you.

Hugs,

BestBuddy
02-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Hi Lynne,
What great news. It sounds like Lady is doing just great, she is a shining example to others that are treating diabetes and cushing and shows it can be done.
Jenny

k9diabetes
02-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi Lynne,

What wonderful news about Lady!!! :cool: Congratulations! And it's just good to hear from you.

Natalie

ladysmom06
03-13-2009, 11:05 AM
I should know better to brag about Lady. Right now she has a couple issues going on that have me really upset. Last week she snapped at my son - had never done that before - he was petting her and gave her a kiss. Wednesday night she did the same thing to me - both of us had a little scratch on our face. Last night my husband gave her a kiss and she was ok but when he went to kiss her again she snapped at him and got his cheek - she broke skin. She has never done anything like this before. Lady has never liked strangers petting her head or kissing her but has never had a problem with us doing it.

We have been watching our granddaughter since the end of Jan. and don't know if it's because she's jealous of the baby or some health issue. She doesn't bother the baby - only runs over to her if she cries. Now I'm worried about her being around the baby.

I called the vet today and she wants to see her tomorrow morning to check her thyroid and her ears - she has had ear infections in the past.
She wants to rule out any health issue first. She is getting another sore on her paw and also one on her leg - she keeps licking both of them. The vet also wants to check her urine again - she has been drinking and peeing a little more - I checked her bg and it was just a little high - I know it's not from her cushing's - the last ACTH test was great. It's really hard to do a curve on her - she hates me taking blood from her ear - only place I can get it. I always have to muzzle her - that is the only time she will snap at me if I don't. The vet will check her bg tomorrow when she does the thyroid. If it's high I'll let them do a curve on her next week.

I'm really worried and concerned about her right now. Any ideas of what could be going on.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

k9diabetes
03-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Thyroid is a distinct possibility - personality changes and aggression can accompany thyroid problems. Be sure they run the sensitive Free T4 with ED test rather than just the plain blood panel T4.

Pain is another possibility, either locally where she's being handled or somewhere else that's making her tense and sensitive.

First thing I'd do is the medical evaluation too. And then you hope they don't find anything, even though that means you still have the problem. A thyroid problem would be the least bothersome actually so I kinda hope it's that.

Let us know, okay?

Natalie

ladysmom06
03-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Hi Natalie,

What is the Free T4 with ED?

I forgot to add a couple of things - I'm so upset - I'm not thinking straight. Lady has always been aggressive with other dogs - except for my sister's Black Lab - back in the fall they were visiting - she lives out of state - and Lady kept growling at him and going after him whenever he came near her - took her to the vet and here she had a ear infection - next time he was here she was fine with him.

Also she has always been a very affectionate dog with us - loved to be cuddled, held and kissed all the time. This behavior is so out of the ordinary for her. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

k9diabetes
03-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Free T4 with ED - Equilibrium Dialysis - is a different type of blood test for thyroid levels than the standard one as part of a blood panel.

The standard one can be thrown off by concurrent illnesses, like diabetes and Cushings. The Free T4 with ED is not affected by these things and gives an accurate thyroid level.

Chris used to run borderline low on standard panels but smack dab in the normal range on the Free T4 with ED.

FREE T4 CONCENTRATION
Free T4 concentration is the amount of free or active thyroxine not bound to protein in the blood. As previously
explained, protein-bound T4 can be lowered by non-thyroid illness and drugs. The free T4 portion is less likely to be
affected by non-thyroid illness and drugs; therefore, it more accurately reflects true thyroid gland function. However,
steroids (or a condition of excess internal cortisol called Cushing's Syndrome) can lower free T4 concentrations in
some cases.

When measuring free T4 concentrations, it is important that the laboratory utilize a technique called equilibrium
dialysis in performing the free T4 assay. Other "analog" techniques are not as useful in obtaining accurate results. Due to this equilibrium dialysis step which properly separates the free T4, this test is more expensive than other hormone
assays. A formula incorporating the concentration of free T4 measured by equilibrium dialysis and cholesterol may be
utilized to improve the diagnostic accuracy of a single blood sample.

eyelostit
03-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Hi Lynne,

Only thing I could come up with would be the thyroid, an ear infection, an insect bite, a tooth, or something sore in the facial area. Could she of maybe bumped her head or side of face on something, at times Niki will bang her head on something but usually it does not bother her.

I hope this helps, but I think you no doubt thought of these already.;)

ladysmom06
03-15-2009, 06:13 AM
Hi all,

Lady has an infection in both ears:mad:. The vet feels that the infections are the cause of the snapping. Also her bg was high and she had a trace of ketones:( - haven't seen any ketones since Oct. 06 - I checked her last week for ketones and it was negative. She has lost a little weight so vet has raised her insulin. The sore on her paw is infected again - so she's back on ear drops - Baytril Optic - and an antibiotic - Zenequin. I have a curve scheduled with the vet for a week from Monday. I won't hometest her right now - I test from the ears - unless I think she's going to low. Thanks for all the help. Hugs to all.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

k9diabetes
03-15-2009, 09:59 AM
Well, at least you know what it is and it could be worse! That was a great insight about the ear infection. Sounds like your vet already had it pretty much figured out.

Guess we know how Lady tells you she's in pain!

Natalie

k9diabetes
03-15-2009, 10:00 AM
I was laughing yesterday when I went to look up information on the Free T4 with ED... I put in thyroid, dog, and "equilibrium dialysis" and came up with four entries in Google...

All of them my posts to various forums! :eek:

Margaret Boyle
03-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Hi all,

Lady has an infection in both ears:mad:. The vet feels that the infections are the cause of the snapping. Also her bg was high and she had a trace of ketones:( - haven't seen any ketones since Oct. 06 - I checked her last week for ketones and it was negative. She has lost a little weight so vet has raised her insulin. The sore on her paw is infected again - so she's back on ear drops - Baytril Optic - and an antibiotic - Zenequin. I have a curve scheduled with the vet for a week from Monday. I won't hometest her right now - I test from the ears - unless I think she's going to low. Thanks for all the help. Hugs to all.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

Hi Lynne,
Sorry to hear you are having problems with Lady I guess it must be (infection)
time for a few of us. Just wanted to say hope every thing clears up quickly
for you, poor Lady this is why she has been snappy she must have been sore and in pain. :eek: Her and my Lucy would get on fine with paw infections.

Kind regards :)

BaileyBear
03-15-2009, 03:35 PM
I was laughing yesterday when I went to look up information on the Free T4 with ED... I put in thyroid, dog, and "equilibrium dialysis" and came up with four entries in Google...

All of them my posts to various forums! :eek:

Ha - now that's funny! But it saves us members loads of time. No need to bother with Google...we can just go straight to the source! :D

BaileyBear
03-15-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Lady's ear & paw infections. But good to know it is something treatable and not a more complicated behavior or health issue.

Bailey was soaring into the 500's for a while and it also turned out to be an ear infection. He dropped very quickly once the antibiotic kicked in. I hope she is feeling much better soon. :)

ladysmom06
03-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi All,

Well, at least you know what it is and it could be worse!

Vet suspected the ears right away. She knows Lady really well and said that the snapping was not like her at all.

:eek: Her and my Lucy would get on fine with paw infections.

Lady has had problems with her paws since she was a puppy:mad:. They get worse when the weather changes.

Bailey was soaring into the 500's for a while and it also turned out to be an ear infection. He dropped very quickly once the antibiotic kicked in.

Hoping her bg's will come down soon. She had a fructosamine test done on Sat. - the vet called this morning and said it was 514 - which is fair regulation. After she has a few days of the antibiotic and ear drops I'll do a couple fasting bg's - don't want her going to low with the increase in insulin.

Thanks for all the good wishes. Hugs to all.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

Cara's Mom
03-16-2009, 10:40 AM
It is so good you found out about the ear infection! Ear problems can be very painful, no wonder she snapped, poor thing! Had a dog myself with chronic ear infections and he could be rather "snappy" at times.
Hope you get it under control soon and Lady will be her old self again :)

Best wishes

eyelostit
03-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Glad you found an answer :),
Niki had one or two of these about 6mo-1 yr after dx, I found if i trim some of her hair inside and outside of her ears she does not get these anymore, her ears will flop over when laying down, this way she gets some air circulating in her ears.

ladysmom06
03-17-2009, 05:46 AM
Hi all,

Hope you get it under control soon and Lady will be her old self again :)

Thanks Marion. Have to take Lady back to the vet today her right ear seems worse:mad::mad:. She will let me put the drops in the left ear but really fights me on the right ear. This morning when my husband put her collar on she started yelping and we noticed the right ear flap isn't down it's sticking out. Vet will see her at 12:50 - she doesn't come in today till noon. I'm thinking she might need another kind of ear drops - has anyone had good results with other drops? - want to stay away from Gentamicin. I checked back in her journals and this is the fifth ear infection since Jan 08. You can tell she really isn't feeling well not acting like herself at all.

I found if i trim some of her hair inside and outside of her ears she does not get these anymore,

Thanks Dolly - I will try that after this infection clears. Hugs to all.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

k9diabetes
03-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Aw... poor girl. Have they put her on an oral antibiotic? They might need to culture it and see if it's sensitive to what she has been given so far.

ladysmom06
03-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Hi Natalie,

Yeah she's on Zenequin - which has always worked really well for her in the past. Do you know of any other ear drops I can suggest to the vet? Staying away from Otomax. TIA. Hugs to you.

Luv,
Lynne and lady

k9diabetes
03-17-2009, 08:57 AM
I think there's some risk with most of them but that the Gentamycin ones are especially bad.

Do you have a sense of how deep the infection is?

If it's mostly on the exterior of the ear, there's less risk if you use an ointment that isn't going to travel the way a liquid is or anything that's put deep into the ear canal and put it only on the external surface of the ear .

We at one point had to use one that I was worried about... it wasn't the Gentamycin but it too said to use it only if the ear drum was intact... I can't remember what it was. The ear infection was bad enough that we had to treat it and take a chance.... I want to say Epi-Otic but I need to see if I can track down what it was.

We couldn't use anything with neomycin as Chris was allergic to that.

k9diabetes
03-17-2009, 09:05 AM
Hmmm.... he did have Mometamax, which includes Gentamycin, in 2006. I believe that's the time we just had to treat it with something powerful and had to take the risk. I believe it was in just one ear so at least he'd still be able to hear out of the other and the vet was able to see the ear drum and check it for perforations...

Although I'm not convinced that every case of a dog going deaf after being treated with Gentamycin could have resulted from a performation - that's a lot of perforated ear drums.

And in 2005 we used some Epi-otic, which was an ear cleanser.
ingredients
Salicylic Acid 0.2%, in a mild citrus aroma cleansing solution with patented anti-odor technology, containing disodium EDTA, docusate sodium, PCMX, a monosaccharide complex (l-rhamnose, d-galactose, d-mannose), and FD&C Blue #1.

I don't have this med any more but I seem to recall that the box included a warning about using it only with intact ear drums.

ladysmom06
03-17-2009, 01:48 PM
My poor poor baby:(. Her ears are worse today than when the vet saw her on Saturday. Vet couldn't see her ear drums b/c of the swelling. She did an ear cytology which showed no bacteria but a lot of white blood cells,no fever. She's keeping her on the Baytril Otic and Zenequin but has added Metacam for the pain for 6 days - Malaseb Flush for 7 days and Bur-Otic drops once a day for 3 days. Doesn't like to use that on a diabetic dog but felt she really needs it right now. Both flaps are now sticking out. I feel so bad for her - she has to be in a lot of pain. Vet said today would be rough for her but she should feel a little better tomorrow. I'm so worried that she'll loose her hearing. This is her 5th ear infection since Jan 08 - the others were never this bad. Before when she had them her ear flaps inside would be red and she would scratch her ears - nothing like that this time - just the snapping. I just want to cuddle and kiss her but she won't let us. Just wants to be left alone.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

BestBuddy
03-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Hi Lynne,
I feel so sorry for Lady. Ear problems are so painful. Buddy had a really bad one last year and he was miserable, he didn't want anybody near him and he cried in pain when he put his head down. His ear was also so swollen that they couldn't see inside and there was a lot of dark waxy and granule stuff as well as blood.
The good thing is that if you get the right treatment it will start to improve within a day or so. Buddy also had drops that had prednisone in them which is not great for a diabetic or cushings dog but he coped ok and it was what he needed to fix the problem.
Hoping Lady gets some relief soon.
Jenny

Patty
03-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Lynne,
I'm late getting here as I've been out of town, but Ali was having recurrent ear problems.

Hers are often due to allergies swelling the ear canal and not allowing the air to flow causing yeast to grow. :(

Do you know what the ear cytologies have been in the past? Bacterial or fungal?

This last time happened right as we moved. We'd just driven 14-15 hours and that night she woke me every 30 mins in obvious pain. Knowing Ali's was yeast we used Panalog ointment. I'd tried to stay away from it because it has a steriod component but she needed the relief. Her bgs were in the 400s from the pain/infection and her ears were bright red.

We've tried so many commercial ear solutions for prevention...Alocetic, Zinc Otic, Cerulytic, OtiFoam, etc. I now have a homemade solution that I use once a week as a flush on her ears and we've been infection free so far. I also trim the hair at the opening of her ears to allow air flow (being careful it doesn't fall in the ear).

Like Jenny said, if you get the right treatment, things will start to improve in a few days. Then figuring out the reason they're recurring and prevention is the tough part!

You have my sympathy. I know it's hard to see them hurting!
Patty

Patty
03-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Oh Lynne,
Another thing I did for Ali when her ears were hurting is hold a cold wash cloth on her ear flaps. You can also get some plain aloe vera juice and apply it to a wash cloth as a cold compress to get some relief.
Patty

ladysmom06
03-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Hi Jenny,

The good thing is that if you get the right treatment it will start to improve within a day or so. Buddy also had drops that had prednisone in them which is not great for a diabetic or cushings dog but he coped ok and it was what he needed to fix the problem.

The vet said Lady really needs the Bur-Otic drops - only wants me to give them for 3 days so they shouldn't raise the bg's too much. Thanks for the well wishes. Hugs to you and the gang.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

ladysmom06
03-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi Natalie,

Thanks for all the info.
Do you have a sense of how deep the infection is?

Lady's ears are so swollen that the vet couldn't see the ear drums. I'm hoping the new meds will work. Thanks again. Hugs to you.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

ladysmom06
03-17-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi Patty,

Hers are often due to allergies swelling the ear canal and not allowing the air to flow causing yeast to grow. :(

The vet is thinking Lady's might be due to allergies too.

Do you know what the ear cytologies have been in the past? Bacterial or fungal?

Fungal in the past.

I now have a homemade solution that I use once a week as a flush on her ears and we've been infection free so far. I also trim the hair at the opening of her ears to allow air flow (being careful it doesn't fall in the ear).

What is the homemade solution you use? Dolly also mentioned that she trims Niki's hair - I'll have to try that after the infections clear. Right now I have to muzzle her to put the drops in and flush the ears. I hate to do it but I'm afraid she'll snap at me again - she's in so much pain I can't blame her for snapping. Thanks for all the info. Hugs to you and Ali

rhodesian46
03-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Poor baby Lady!!Poor mommy Lynne!!!! Sounds like she has 2 really bad ear infections. How we woory about her babies!!! Let me know how she is doing tomorrow Meds should be working. Kisses to Lady from me and the Halpin clan!!!

ladysmom06
03-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi Marianne,

Poor baby Lady!!Poor mommy Lynne!!!! Sounds like she has 2 really bad ear infections.

She really has two bad ones this time. She's a lot worse since I talked to you over the weekend:(:(. I'm sure hoping the meds start working real soon. Hugs to you and the gang.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

k9diabetes
03-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Oh Lynne, that's terrible! Poor girl... I feel so bad for her and for you.

She might not tolerate this but I wondered if maybe some warm damp compresses would make it feel better. This seemed to help Chris' eye ulcerations feel better.

Are they giving her something to calm the allergies at the same time?

I'm not familiar with Bur-Optic... I take it there is a steroid in it?

Natalie

k9diabetes
03-17-2009, 07:36 PM

Dermatology
Ear Cleanser For Dogs And Cats
Hydrocortisone, 1%

Cleansing - Soothing

Bur-otic® Hc Ear Cleanser Is A Soothing, Calming Formulation That Removes Debris And Excessive Cerumen.

Uses
Bur-otic® Hc Ear Cleanser May Be Used For Inflammatory Manifestations Of Corticosteroid Responsive External Ear Conditions. It May Be Used In Dogs And Cats Of Any Age.

Active Ingredient
Hydrocortisone 1%.

Contains
Propylene glycol, water, burow's solution, benzalkonium chloride, acetic acid.

BaileyBear
03-18-2009, 12:02 AM
I'm so terribly sorry to hear how miserable she is right now. It's just awful to see your beloved pet in pain and not be able to "fix" it for them. :(

I hope the medication kicks in overnight and she wakes up feeling much better. Big hugs to both of you.

eyelostit
03-18-2009, 12:11 AM
I know how hard this must be for you and Lady, I hope this morning she is doing better.

peggy0
03-18-2009, 03:06 AM
I don't know how to send you an attachment but I have a 3 page document with ear medicines and cleaners with ingredients and what to use them for if anyone would like to have it. Poor baby. Hope he feels better soon.

Margaret Boyle
03-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Hi Marianne,

She really has two bad ones this time. She's a lot worse since I talked to you over the weekend:(:(. I'm sure hoping the meds start working real soon. Hugs to you and the gang.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

Hi Lynne,
Sorry to hear Lady has ear infections it really makes them miserable if only they could talk they would tell us how they feel. I hope she feels better soon once the meds kick in. :(

LOL

k9diabetes
03-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Peggy,

Thanks for sending me that great list! I have Lynne's email address and will forward it on.

Natalie

ladysmom06
03-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for all the well wishes for Lady. She doesn't seem to be any better today - still laying around all day. Talked to the vet and she said I could give her the Bur-Otic again tonight if she's no better. We had to stop the flush - it was really bothering her - vet said the Baytril Otic and Bur-Otic were the 2 things I really have to give her right now.

Natalie, Thanks for the e-mail - Peggy, thanks for getting that list to Natalie. I really appreciate you sending it to Nat and her sending it to me. Great info there. I'll try and give an update tonight on Lady. Thanks again everyone - you guys are the best. Hugs to all.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

peggy0
03-18-2009, 11:26 AM
No problem. It was too long to post :) I have springers and ooooh the ear problem.s

rhodesian46
03-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Just checking on Lady. I see that she is feeling no better. I am sorry. AM waiting for you to post Will check post tomorrow.

eyelostit
03-18-2009, 06:14 PM
I hope tommorrow is better, I know you must be a wreck, hoping tommorrow brings lady into the pink.:)

Patty
03-19-2009, 10:23 AM
What is the homemade solution you use?

Hi Lynne,
Sorry to take so long in getting back to you. I wanted to check with the source to be sure it was ok to post, then my computer locked up last night.

I got the recipe from a friend who got it from a trained Classical homeopath. My vet back home and one here also approved it. I would consider using it after you get the swelling down and she's off her other meds as a preventative. I know with Ali, I had to address the acute pain/swelling before I could really get to the heart of the issue.

Like I said, we've tried so many different solutions. Many of them irritated her ears - especially those with acetic acid. The milder ones did nothing but keep her ears moist. We did have luck with the Petco brand ear powder. But it started caking after a while and bothering her.

I now use this as preventative once a week.
I apply a dropper-full to each ear, put a cotton ball in and massage 40 times. Then let her shake it out and wipe with the wet cotton ball.

Here's the recipe: 1 oz = 2 T
1 oz aloe vera juice
1 oz water
1 oz witch hazel (mine had 14% alcohol)
2 drops therapeutic grade lavender oil
1 drop organic raw apple cider vinegar
Mix together and store in glass dropper bottle. Mine keeps in the cupboard for about 3 months.

The solution is supposed to be "pretty benign and close to the body's own fluid with just enough of an edge to rid the yeast."

The therapeutic grade lavender oil is important. Therapeutic grade oils will state for internal or topical use. Cosmetic grade oils will state for external use only and could burn the ear.

Also, if you're going to remove some hair at the opening of the ear later, you could try using a boric acid type powder like R7. It should stick to the hair and allow it to be pulled out without pain.

My guess is it’s the underlying condition that’s causing the swelling. Hopefully the medications Lady's on can get the swelling/pain under control then you can get to where the bacteria/fungal infection may be. It may be that the vet found no bacteria because he can’t get a deep enough sample. Just a thought.

I found this regarding ear infections on a question/answer board: "The most common underlying cause is allergy, then probably immunosuppressive disorders (Cushing's would fall in this category) and then hormonal disorders, with hypothyroidism being the most common hormonal disorder associated with persistent ear infections." http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dogs-701/Ear-Problem-1.htm

Hoping Lady's meds give her some relief soon!
Take care,
Patty

ladysmom06
03-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Just have a minute but wanted to give a quick update on Lady - she is a little better today. The left ear flap is back to normal and the right one is still sticking out but not as far. Last night we had company and she was up the whole time - good sign b/c she pretty much laid in her bed all day yesterday. Today she laid in her bed most of the day but it was raining and that's what she usually does on rainy days.

Patty - thanks for all that info. I read it pretty fast but will read it again tomorrow.

Thanks again everyone for all your well wishes. Hugs to all.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

rhodesian46
03-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Kisses to my Lady!!!! Glad she is doing better!!! Mommy Lynne get some rest!!!:D:D:D:D

peggy0
03-19-2009, 08:35 PM
I love witch hazel. I clean my springers ears with witch hazel pads once a week. I think it really helps with yeast

eyelostit
03-19-2009, 08:55 PM
I love witch hazel. I clean my springers ears with witch hazel pads once a week. I think it really helps with yeast

I use witch hazel also, its the main ingredient in those generic Tucks pads I get at Walmart, as long as you wring it out good it will clean the ears also good on pp.:)

peggy0
03-20-2009, 05:07 AM
Yes those are exactly what I use

Margaret Boyle
03-20-2009, 07:15 AM
Hi Lynne,
Glad Lady's feeling better there is nothing worse than sore ears.
Lucy's ears get thick inside I have got to trim her ears regularly and pull the long hairs out infact she is needing done but I was waiting until her paw infection was all clear not to hassle her while she was miserable.
Sore ears make them miserable but glad she is a bit better. :D:D

LOL

k9diabetes
03-20-2009, 09:23 PM
It's really good to hear that things have improved some... hope she's on her way to healed up.

rhodesian46
03-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Hey Lynne,
Just checking on LadyHow is she doing?

BlackBartsmom
03-26-2009, 05:55 PM
Your story sounds just like what I am going through right now with my Black Bart. Can I ask what you cook for your little one? I home cook for him too but will have to change is diet and don't really want to use processed food. I have an added problem that they think he has Cushings.

rhodesian46
03-27-2009, 04:31 AM
Just got off the phone with( ladysmom06) Lynne. Lynne has asked me to post this as she just can't! Lady was was having seizures over and over again last night. THey quickly put Lady in the car and drove to the Emergency vet. She had another seizure in the car. Lynne arrived and the vet gave her meds to try to stop this but the seizures continued. Her and her husband made the decision to euthanize her as there was nothing more that they could do. Lady's ear was still very infected the vet said. Maybe a neurological problem? Who knows?

Lynne is heartbroken. This was her only dog. I know first hand that she loved Lady more than anything. We would talk so much about Pebbles and Lady as both of us had a cush pup and a diabetes pup. I am heartbroken.

I have suggested to Lynne on having a necropsy done. I hope after taking with her husband that she decides to do this. It helps to have closure. She is still so confused and isn't able to make any decisions.

Lynne know that Lady is free from pain. free from her diseases and free to play with my sweet Pebbles. God speed this beautiful girl.

rhodesian46
03-27-2009, 04:59 AM
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/enter.cfm?l=eng
Kathy or Nat,
Can you set this up so we can light a candle for Lady. Need to rush to work
Thanks

bgdavis
03-27-2009, 05:29 AM
Lynne,

I'm so sorry to read of your sudden loss of Lady. It's hard when they have so many illnesses to realize when it's time to stop trying to treat everything. You let Lady go from further suffering.

Hold tight to the memories of the good times.

Bonnie and Angel Criss

We Hope
03-27-2009, 08:05 AM
Poem for Dog Lovers

Hello. I've been expecting you for quite some time.
Here, come sit beside us for awhile .
and let me tell you about this old friend of mine.
She might look tattered or maybe old
But I won't say goodbye until you've been told.
She had the brightest eyes I had ever seen,
And wore a beautiful fur coat that would out shine a queen .
She was never prissy but walked with an aire ......
And oh so polite, you could take her most anywhere.
She could run like the wind and could catch anything she chased
But she protected and sat with me when I had problems to face.
You could not find a friend nearly so dear.
Because no matter the trouble she always stayed near...
She has never asked for much from me;
Just to love and respect her and I think you'll agree .
To give her a good meal plus a nice warm bed is not much to ask ;
When she has given me all her love and to her this was no task.
Now I understand you have a schedule to keep.
But I have a small favor before she nods off to sleep.
Please fold your wings around her and let her feel young while in no pain ;
Dear Guardian Angel of Pets ,
please keep her safe and happy until I see her again.

Patty
03-27-2009, 08:41 AM
Lynne,
I am so very sorry to hear about Lady. My heart goes out to you.
With deepest sympathy,
Patty

k9diabetes
03-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Oh Lynne.... I'm heartbroken at this news. I actually found out over at the Cushings forum as I went there first this morning.

I know the shock must be so immense in addition to the grief... to lose her so suddenly.

Bless you for giving Lady the life she deserved, filled with love and comfort and companionship and for having the strength to release her when she needed your help. You gave her everything a dog could ask for and more and that's the most important thing.

Deepest condolences,

Natalie

Margaret Boyle
03-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Lynne,
My deepest condolences I cannot imagine your grief.
Lady is at rest now and you will have a lot of lovely memories.
Lots of hugs for you Lynne I always cry when I read of
someone else's dog my thoughts are with you.

LOL

eyelostit
03-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Lynne, I am so sad, I'm sorry for you and your family, how heartsick you must be,so sudden.

The Creation

When God had made the earth and sky
the flowers and the trees,
He then made all the animals
the fish, the birds and bees.

And when at last He'd finished
not one was quite the same.
He said, "I'll walk this world of mine
and give each one a name."

And so He traveled far and wide
and everywhere He went,
a little creature followed Him
until it's strength was spent.

When all were named upon the earth
and in the sky and sea,
the little creature said, "Dear Lord,
there's not one left for me."

Kindly the Father said to him,
"I've left you to the end.
I've turned my own name back to front
and called you dog, My friend."

Take comfort in knowing Lady is in our hearts today and with our doggies and the angels now.

lab lover
03-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Lynne,

So sorry too hear about Lady I know how hard it is to make the decision. I had too do it for Nico last year he was in so much pain and I couldn't let him go on and on. He is there greeting your Lady now - my deepest sympathy goes out to you and your husband. Baby's Mom/Ida

BaileyBear
03-27-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of Lady's passing. My heart goes out to you and your husband as you grieve her loss. I'm sure it ripped you apart to let her go, but it was with pure love that you let her be at peace. I hope with time you are able to remember the happy times with Lady and smile.

CarolW
03-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Oh Lynne, I am SO sorry to read of your loss. I trust you know, deep in your heart, that you did the only POSSIBLE right thing for Lady. Losing your only dog is about the worst experience I know; it's happened to me, more than once.

Our dogs who precede us to The Bridge are the Predecessors. They come and hover in the huge holes on our hearts - and talk to us - when we least expect it. We, and all animals who come after them, are the Successors, and the beneficiaries of all the Predecessors have to teach. And teach, they do, as long as we live and keep our hearts open for them.

doGpeeD, dear Lady! You had the very best of Human-Mums and Dads. Do play with my own Predecessors, who are welcoming you now!

With deepest sympathy,

Fri, 27 Mar 2009 22:49:26 (PDT)

k9diabetes
03-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Hi Lynne,

I'm just getting caught up here at the forum and wanted to say again that I'm thinking of you and how sorry I am about Lady. It is really traumatic for things to go downhill so abruptly. No question in my mind that you did the right thing as whatever caused Lady to seize uncontrollably was likely impossible to resolve. You were so loving, in the midst of such searing pain, to relieve her of that suffering.

Natalie

ladysmom06
03-30-2009, 01:36 PM
Thank you all so very much for your kind words. Right now I am still in shock - can't believe how fast it happened. I have been second guessing myself - I keep replaying that night over and over and I think I acted to quickly. I hope and pray that I did the right thing for Lady but don't feel that I did. I miss her so much.

Luv,
Lynne and My Sweet Precious Angel Lady

eyelostit
03-30-2009, 02:00 PM
Lynne,

If I would have been in your shoes I would have done the same thing, when we are faced with something like this we don't want our babies to suffer.

With my doggies I've had in the past, each time I had that decision I replayed it also, it just kept coming into my mind I missed him, heartbroken, damn its one of the hardest decisions we have to make in this life, with my first dog that was the worst, not that it gets any easier with your other pets, if I want to recall any of there passings its there, somehow with time you bury it inside and remember the happy things.
This happened so fast, give yourself time, don't be hard on yourself, you took good care of Lady.

I wish I could give you a hug.

Dolly

Cara's Mom
03-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Lynne,
Words can not describe how sorry I am to hear that Lady has passed away.
You did the right thing, you have taking such good care of her and she knows that.

My thoughts are with you.

God's Speed, Lady.

peggy0
03-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi Lynn

I know you did everything you could for Lady. We all have these thoughts when we lose a precious pet. I've only had to put one down and she was 14 and her quality of life was not good; she was very sick. Still I wanted another day and thought I made a mistake. They are at the bridge waiting for us; you'll see her again.

Thinking of you

Peggy

BaileyBear
03-30-2009, 03:04 PM
I think everyone questions the decision no matter what choice they make. I questioned my own decisions for a very long time with regards to our first dog, Panda. In my case, it was the continuation of treatment. My dog passed after a full week of back and forth between the regular vet and the animal hospital. I often wish he had not gone through that and that we had let him go earlier. But you make the best choice you can based on the information you're given and the vets guidance. It's going to break your heart for a long time either way.

You did the right thing. It takes a tremendous amount of love and selflessness to let someone you love go when it's time. Lady knew she was loved unconditionally and you gave her peace and comfort.

Holding you in my heart.