Peeing at night, Ugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peeing at night, Ugh

Hi.I have an 8year old cockapoo, diagnosed several months ago. Recceives 7 units twice a day. Having real problem with peeing at night. He had kidney stones surgery 2 weeks ago for the second time. ALl his numbers were good. Bought a belly wrap I am going to try. any suggestions with this problem. I know he cant helo it, so sad. thank you for any ideas

Re: Peeing at night, Ugh

Welcome!

Tell us a little more about your boy:
    Weight?
    Type of insulin?
    How long on the 7 units?
    Insulin & feeding schedule?
    Recent blood glucose readings?
    Do you test blood at home?

Generally, the peeing comes under control once the blood glucose gets into a decent range. Of course there could be something besides diabetes affecting him. I'm having trouble with my Annie, but she's 16 years old and I think her problem is mostly age related. I frequently take her outside between 3-4am, then we both go back to sleep for another couple of hours :-)

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Could just be a post surgery condition, his kidneys were probably stressed.
      Did the vet say why the dog might be getting stones in the first place?
      Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

Thank you for your responses. Yogi is 28 pds and is on vetsulin.Yogi has never been a drinker until he developed diabetes and now it is sporadic. That contributes to the stones and it also can be a genetic problem as well. He loves green beans but cant eat them because of stones. I cook chicken, he gets hills wd canned and some dried food. He never has been a great eater but have to try different things so he can get insulin?? crazy cycle. Vet wants him off all food but "WD" also gave him some greek yogurt which he loves. SOunds like I am feeding too many different items but really am consistent. I do not test him at home. My main goal now if just for him to stop peeing over night. Might have to try the crate ? Hope not
        Last edited by melar; 07-27-2017, 04:46 PM. Reason: adding information

Comment

Every dog / situation is different, but 7 units of Vetsulin might be a little lite for a 28 pounder. Years ago, when my 18 pounder (Annie) was using Vetsulin she was getting 7 units (probably should have been on 8 units). She is now on 8 to 8½ units of Novolin-N. Although she has been on Novolin-N for years, the response between Vetsulin and Novolin-N seems to be pretty much the same; at least in Annie.

When was the last blood glucose curve done? How long has he been on the 7 units? Was he started at a lower dosage and worked up to 7 units?

Yea, many vets say the prescription food is required, but you'll see we on the forum feed all sorts of food. The w/d won't do much good if the pup won't eat it! I think most here would avoid foods that are heavy in fat, but the pup has to eat in order to get the diabetes under control.

Craig
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

The wd is not required - my Maggie would not eat it. My vet said it was more important that she eat. So, I tried many brands (and she refused some of the very best) but we ended up finding a combination she would eat reliably. But, it was hard. I would try to find a food lower in fat and avoid rich foods. Pancreatitis is always a concern.

I know the eating is your main worry, but when they don't eat consistently, testing blood sugar can help with insulin dosing tremendously. You can always start. It changed Maggie's life dramatically. Taking charge of testing and diabetes can be scary but it really is not as hard as it seems. Information is powerful.
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
              The wd is not required - my Maggie would not eat it. My vet said it was more important that she eat. So, I tried many brands (and she refused some of the very best) but we ended up finding a combination she would eat reliably. But, it was hard. I would try to find a food lower in fat and avoid rich foods. Pancreatitis is always a concern.

I know the eating is your main worry, but when they don't eat consistently, testing blood sugar can help with insulin dosing tremendously. You can always start. It changed Maggie's life dramatically. Taking charge of testing and diabetes can be scary but it really is not as hard as it seems. Information is powerful.
              Thank you for your information, I have tested in past with our other dog. My question is how does that change anything. DO you change doses based on the reading?

Comment

My question is how does that change anything. DO you change doses based on the reading?
                I had one heck of a time with dog food. Since each pup is do different, I tried various combinations for Daisy and it just wasn't working for her. The only time the dose would change would be based on if she ate none, half or only portion of her food, then I'd give her less insulin.
                Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Those are some interesting ingredients. They help with maintaining the glocouse levels?. OUr previous dog was a schnoodle and he had it bad, heard it was common in these dogs. Two nights without an accident, whoo hoo. hope it continues. thanks

Comment

My dog could drop really fast for no apparent reason. Testing keeps them safe from hypoglycemia but also keeps you aware of their progress. If they test at 50 before feeding and then you feed and they eat all, you would probably want to reduce the dose. It is one thing to know how much they eat but quite another to know where they stand before they start. Also, if you test and they are at 500, but eat half their meal, it is pretty safe to go ahead and give them the entire shot. If you had only given half, then it might hold you back from making progress.

Testing regularly and doing curves at home give you basis to know if you are heading in the right direction. Without testing, and factoring in an inconsistent eater, you stay in the same place for weeks with no progress towards regulation.
                    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Those are some interesting ingredients.
                      The cranberry/d mannose and vinegar are to help prevent UTI's.

The cinnamon and chromium picolinate help stabilize blood sugar.

The chicken is because I feel guilty.

Glad to hear no night time accidents!
                      Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                        My dog could drop really fast for no apparent reason. Testing keeps them safe from hypoglycemia but also keeps you aware of their progress. If they test at 50 before feeding and then you feed and they eat all, you would probably want to reduce the dose. It is one thing to know how much they eat but quite another to know where they stand before they start. Also, if you test and they are at 500, but eat half their meal, it is pretty safe to go ahead and give them the entire shot. If you had only given half, then it might hold you back from making progress.

Testing regularly and doing curves at home give you basis to know if you are heading in the right direction. Without testing, and factoring in an inconsistent eater, you stay in the same place for weeks with no progress towards regulation.
                        I appreciate all your infomration

Comment

Working...
                        X