Diabetic Australian Cattle Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Diabetic Australian Cattle Dog

Seems like your learning them. They didnt say much of your great curve.
    theirs not much negative now for them to say ( you.ll never get under 200)
    They dont know shes not spayed. They would probably suggest a spay. Her numbers are going to stay like these for long
    Maybe wait another couple of weeks to have the surgery.
    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Yes they know she isn't spayed now. The last time I brought it up they said let's wait until she's healthier. The vet will call me sometime I'm sure and we'll talk about it then.

Browsing through Lucy's page and seeing all of her photos, I thought I'd share one here. We were just down at the barn and saw a groundhog duck inside. This is her 'are we going to do something about this' look.

Last edited by Zoology1603; 10-03-2022, 03:23 PM. Reason: Reduced image size
      Australian Cattle Dog, born Feb 2013, weight 36lbs, diagnosed with cushings and diabetes. 10 units Vetsulin twice daily. 20mg Trilostane twice daily. Feeding combination of BalanceIT and Nulo Wet & Dry.

Comment

Tails up . Looks like things are better
        Hope for continued success

My vet at the time said I was going to kill Jesse and it was cruel to test her as she gone in to live another 11 years .

Testing is so important early on but of course it's impossible to do this kind of testing at the vets office . As long as a pup is happy and healthy no reason to complain
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Well, hello Bear, shes sooooo intent on following your lead and her blue hair! Shes gaining back her musle.
          I read it as " she saw a groundhog duck" lol. Your zoo. What is a groundhog duck? Mo bad. The only animal close would be a duckbilled platipus.
          Last edited by Riliey and Mo; 10-03-2022, 06:16 PM. Reason: Okay i.ll stop
          20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Awwwwww, how great to see your photo of Bear!!! And especially to see how good she looks :-)))))

And I definitely remember sweet Lucy, too. She came onboard around the time Natalie so generously temporarily hosted our K9C group here after our forum owner unexpectedly shut down our old site. During that time period, I spent a lot of time here and anxiously followed Lucy’s progress. Can’t believe it’s been so many years ago, though — man, how time flies…

Anyway, getting back to Bear, I’m so glad to know things are heading in the right direction. Kudos to everybody!

Comment

Gooday
              What meds is Bear taking?
              What meds has she taken in her lifetime please?

Comment

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
                Gooday
                What meds is Bear taking?
                What meds has she taken in her lifetime please?
                She went to the vet for the first time in her life in September 2021 for an ear hematoma. She had anethesia rom/keta 20-40#, meloxicam injection and vaccinated (rabies, dhpp & lepto). She was sent home with 3mg meloxicam. A year later we were back with this current adventure. She's had omeprazole 25mg and cerenia 60mg. It's just the Vetsulin and Trilostane now.

Almost forgot Fenbendazole preventative dewormer.
                Last edited by Zoology1603; 10-04-2022, 01:38 PM.
                Australian Cattle Dog, born Feb 2013, weight 36lbs, diagnosed with cushings and diabetes. 10 units Vetsulin twice daily. 20mg Trilostane twice daily. Feeding combination of BalanceIT and Nulo Wet & Dry.

Comment

I did some reading seems meloxicam can induce pancreatitis. In older human females and a small percentage of dogs.

A 40 lb dog dose daily is .045 x 40 is 1.8 .... if the 3mg was too high then she could overdose.

Theres lots of info on metacam, meloxicam if you have time to check

Comment

I did look into 'if meloxicam could cause cushings' a little while back but it was not in the list of drugs known to cause cushings in canines.

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                      Tails up . Looks like things are better
                      Hope for continued success

My vet at the time said I was going to kill Jesse and it was cruel to test her as she gone in to live another 11 years .

Testing is so important early on but of course it's impossible to do this kind of testing at the vets office . As long as a pup is happy and healthy no reason to complain

She's been extremely energetic the last few days, wanting to play fetch and be outside so we must be doing something right. I don't believe we would have gotten here if I had just followed the vet's orders without thinking for myself. I wish we could reverse her cataracts but I know that's not possible.

Comment

In general dogs other senses are very useful and sometimes just as important if not more than sight . We as humans place more on perfection than dogs . They live within thier reality . My Jesse never cared she was epileptic or diabetic

I learned allot from Jesse living more in the moment and not worrying so much about what the future may hold .
                        Last edited by jesse girl; 10-05-2022, 12:36 PM.
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Originally posted by Zoology1603 View Post
                          She's been extremely energetic the last few days, wanting to play fetch and be outside so we must be doing something right.
                          I totally agree. And it makes me so happy to hear how well she’s doing. Just so happy!

Comment

Originally posted by jesse girl View Post
                            In general dogs other senses are very useful and sometimes just as important if not more than sight . We as humans place more on perfection than dogs . They live within thier reality . My Jesse never cared she was epileptic or diabetic

I learned allot from Jesse living more in the moment and not worrying so much about what the future may hold .
                            I agree with you 100%! While I’ve always been told that dogs don’t live for the future or the past as they only see the “now”, I never fully understood it until Max. Diabetes has left him totally blind, but he really doesn’t seem to care. He’ll bump into things, shrug it off, seem to laugh at himself, but then keep going. It’s almost as if he doesn’t seem to miss his sight. In other words, he isn’t mourning his sight or the past, like a human would… He also isn’t much of a planner for the future either. While I’m now battling kidney failure, he has no problem showing his displeasure at me when I was forced to cut back his chicken to give his kidneys a break… He’d rather have more chicken now and to hell with his kidneys!!
                            Donna – who finally got it, along with Max the Corgi

Comment

How are you all doing today and all your dogs, cows chickens, groundhogs

I had a dog with a toy box made out of an old crate i painted blue. Jackie had a fairly large yellow dumptruck, a blue baseball bat, balls, stuffies. Ever morning he.d dig down to the bottom of his toy box for his favoite toy the truck. He had more fun playing with his cat. We always had a cat and dog never a dull moment.

Comment

Since switching to the new bottle of Vetsulin, her blood glucose levels have been higher.

Old bottle: Wednesday 3pm 96mg/dL
                                New Bottle:
                                Thursday 3pm 324mg/dL
                                Friday 3pm 344mg/dL

Perhaps this is the final stages of regulation and we are now seeing her true numbers, whereas the lows we had the past week were still fluctuations trying to level out.

Not related to the new bottle but an observation I have made; when she settles down on the couch for the evening, I'll watch her breathing and she's breathing in rapid shallow breaths, well over 40 per minute. It's plenty cool in the house so she's not hot. Perhaps it has to do with Vetsulin or Trilostane. Maybe something completely unrelated. Just thought I'd mention it.

How are you all doing today and all your dogs, cows chickens, groundhogs
                                She's been helping to keep the chickens out of the pear trees. They are very crafty for a dumb bird. She doesn't hurt them because she knows I don't want them killed.

I had a dog with a toy box made out of an old crate i painted blue. Jackie had a fairly large yellow dumptruck, a blue baseball bat, balls, stuffies. Ever morning he.d dig down to the bottom of his toy box for his favoite toy the truck. He had more fun playing with his cat. We always had a cat and dog never a dull moment.
                                She has her toy box in the closet, just an old basket that she slept in as a puppy. It's ready to be thrown away but I'll continue using it for as long as she's alive as she's used to her toys being in there.
                                Last edited by Zoology1603; 10-08-2022, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X