Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roxy the Boxer - An Angel June 12, 2020

Hi everyone,

My name is Andrea and my dog Roxy just got diagnosed with diabetes. The vet was pretty much no help at all. I have been reading nonstop. The vet would like me to bring her back in on Monday so they can observe her. They told me her ketone were very high they didn't tell me her numbers. They put her on insulin 2 times a day and the hills w/d food. The vet told me she should be eating 5 cans a day. Yesterday after she ate and I gave her her shot she threw up like an hour later.

Today I only gave her a can and 15 mins her shot. She still seems hungry can I give her more food? I know from reading on line it should only be twice a day.

Any advice ? Any advice about ketone would be great. I know if we can't get them down she will go into liver failure. She goes back to the vet tomorrow.

Re: Help I'm reading the boards..

Welcome to the forum.

Tell us more about your pup: weight, type of insulin, spayed, other medical conditions?

Keep in mind food and insulin goes together. For instance if the "normal" meal is two cans, but you only fed one can, you can't give the full dosage of insulin. What food was she on before diabetes? Vets like to see prescription foods (profit???), but many of us use quality regular foods because our pups wouldn't eat the expensive erscription stuff.

Craig
    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Andrea, if the ketones are very high and your dog is acting ill at all, emergency treatment is needed - fluids, IV or IM insulin, possibly electrolytes.

Natalie

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Her name is Roxy she is an 8 year boxer mix. She was 101lbs last year vet visit. Saturday her weight was 75lbs. She is spayed since she was a baby.

She used to eat Bil jac dog food. Yesterday she was put on hills w/d can foods. The vet said to feed her 5 cans a day. ( that would cost me $645.00 a month). I've been trying to find out if that is true.

The vet put her on Novolin-N 8 units.. Twice a day. Yesterday she was pretty sick but the vet said she would be find until Monday. Yesterday she ate half a can of food and her first shot.

This morning she woke up and so happy, just like she used to. I feed her a can and a half today and gave her 5 units. She has been drinking to me normally... Less then she was a few weeks ago.

Tonight I will give her 2 cans and see if she will eat it all and want more. I have been reading to give her a shot anywhere from 15 to 30 mins after she eats.

The vet would like to keep her on Monday. To check all her numbers. I am thinking about calling around Monday and changing her vet.

P.s. I did buy some unflavored pedialyte to add to her water. I am keeping a log of everything she is doing.

Comment

You can buy urine test strips to check for ketones. If the reading is anything over "trace" your dog needs to be seen by the emergency vet and probably hospitalized. I'm so sorry that your original vet sent her home like that. I would DEFINITELY switch.
          Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Cara Sandler View Post
            You can buy urine test strips to check for ketones. If the reading is anything over "trace" your dog needs to be seen by the emergency vet and probably hospitalized. I'm so sorry that your original vet sent her home like that. I would DEFINITELY switch.
            That's part of the problem it's not really her regular vet. She has been going to that practice since she was a puppy. The vet was an older gentleman who passed away of cancer. Since then they have not been able to keep a stable vet. At the time it bother me since pretty much they went in for their regular yearly visits and never had problems until now.

Comment

Also what are some other brands of dog food I can research? The one my vet is selling me is so expensive

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea View Post
                That's part of the problem it's not really her regular vet. She has been going to that practice since she was a puppy. The vet was an older gentleman who passed away of cancer. Since then they have not been able to keep a stable vet. At the time it bother me since pretty much they went in for their regular yearly visits and never had problems until now.
                Gotcha. Yep, time to switch :-)
                Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.

Comment

Also what are some other brands of dog food I can research? The one my vet is selling me is so expensive
                  Dogs can do well on lots of different types of food, and it doesn't need to be prescription. I would look for something with moderate protein and carbs, low fat. Diabetic dogs are prone to pancreatitis and a low fat diet can help prevent that.

Comment

First, remember most of us have experience with our diabetic pups, but are not veterinarians. You will read "every dog / situation is different", so what works with one dog might nor work for another.

Sounds like $600+ per month for food is going to be a problem. I'm not familiar with your previous food, but the general thoughts are that a food that is lower than average in fat, and higher than average in fiber, is good for a diabetic. You can read labels and various websites to search for low fat foods. A few of us add fiber (Benefiber in my Annie's case), or other high fiber additives. For several years I added black beans to her meals because I believe the are high fiber and protein, while low in fat. I stopped adding black beans just because it became a chore for me, might restart in the future. Of course, getting them to eat a consistent meal, without vomitting, is needed.

Did the vet send you to Walmart for the Novolin-N? Novolin-N is $25/vial there, but often $125+ at other places. Syringes are also normally less expensive at Walmart.

The vet might be planning to do a full day "curve" where they blood test every two hours or so. This is good, but the pup probably needs to have been on a consistent meal / injection for a couple of days. Most on the forum home blood test and would do the "curve" at home using a standard hand held meter. There are videos of blood testing on this website, or search YouTube for "testing diabetic dog". Here is an article that I review from time-to-time:
                    http://www.2ndchance.info/diabetesdog.htm

Craig
                    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Thank you everyone.

Craig I see that you use Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight I was thinking about that before I learned she was a diabetic. Blue is good for diabetes?

The vet didn't tell me about Walmart, but thank goodness the vet tech did as I was walking out the door. So I did go there, I believe I bought the wrong needles.. I bought the "short" now I wish I bought the long. While I was at Walmart I did buy all the home testing equipment but I am having a hard time getting blood.

My girl freaks out to even having her nails cut.( she hates for you to even touch her pads before all of this )so this is a whole new world for us.

Comment

Thank you everyone.

Craig I see that you use Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight I was thinking about that before I learned she was a diabetic. Blue is good for diabetes?

The vet didn't tell me about Walmart, but thank goodness the vet tech did as I was walking out the door. So I did go there, I believe I bought the wrong needles.. I bought the "short" now I wish I bought the long. While I was at Walmart I did buy all the home testing equipment but I am having a hard time getting blood.

My girl freaks out to even having her nails cut.( she hates for you to even touch her pads before all of this )so this is a whole new world for us.
                        As I mentioned, we all have our own thoughts. Food is something brings out hundreds of suggestions! I don't really remember why I selected Blue Buffalo Healthy Weight (the dry kibble), but I'm guessing it was because of the fiber content.

The trick to blood testing is to make it fun. Annie loves to play ball, so she knows when I say "test time", she should bring a ball to the kitchen where we test and I'll throw her ball a few times after her blood test. Play, hugs, talking to her during the test makes her cooperate. Some give a tiny diabetic friendly treat, like a green bean, as an after test treat. Of course the pup picks-up on our nervousness, so we need to keep testing upbeat! I talk, hum or sing to Annie while poking to keep me calm.

What size lancets did you get? Most humans like the very thin 30-33 gauge, but they may be too thin for some dogs skin. I use the slightly thicker 26 or 25 gauge lancets. Testing takes practice. I was a nightmare the first several weeks, but then things just got much easier. Good luck!

Craig

Comment

Syringe needle length is personal preference. I like the short ones, but Annie is a small dog. In the beginning we used the long needles, but changed to the short ones after a year or so. No harm in experimenting.

Now that you are a member, would you like a moderator to change the title of your thread from "Help I'm reading the boards" to something more personal like "Roxy the Boxer"? Just post what you would like and one of us will change it for you.

Love Boxers! My son has a 3 year old Boxer and he is a real clown (Cooper the Boxer, not my son)

Craig

Comment

My suggestion to you would be change vets quickly! You are going to have a long relationship with the vet after diabetes and other issues that arise because of it, you need to have a vet you trust and have faith in and this one definitely doesn't fit. Also most vets will sell prescription pet food because they make money off of it, I also feed my dog blue buffalo and he does fine on it.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                              Syringe needle length is personal preference. I like the short ones, but Annie is a small dog. In the beginning we used the long needles, but changed to the short ones after a year or so. No harm in experimenting.

Now that you are a member, would you like a moderator to change the title of your thread from "Help I'm reading the boards" to something more personal like "Roxy the Boxer"? Just post what you would like and one of us will change it for you.

Love Boxers! My son has a 3 year old Boxer and he is a real clown (Cooper the Boxer, not my son)

Craig

Yes that would be perfect... That is exactly what we call her!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X