Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

Monsters Momma 07-01-2013 06:13 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny

Margaret, I think, after reading a lot of Craig's posts, that I will just get a 'starter' Relion Prime from Walmart. I would like to look, touch, hold others before making another choice, but feel I need one right now. It's the researcher in me that makes me want to take some time to decide on another meter. ;)

Which one are you thinking of?
Mel

momofdecker 07-01-2013 06:24 AM

Belated welcome to you and your monster Vinny. I love it! We never really knew what my boy was mixed with but when people asked, 'part monster' was often part of my answer.

He too had a knack for finding food that he was not suppose to eat. Both the husband & I work full time away from the house so curve days were always on a weekend day. And he was known for finding a way to sneak something in the midst of his curves early on. We had two cats and kept their food/litter box in the basement. Even when Decker lost his vision he found his way down there. Kept thinking it was someone leaving the door open but found out the door did not always latch when it shut. He'd stick his head through the cat door and if not latched, the basement door would open and he'd go help himself to both fresh and recycled snacks. Yummy - Not!

For the most part he was good about not begging or counter surfing, but when he was put on prednisone due to spinal compression, he got the hunger side effect and we found him (blindly) jumping up to try to help himself to a plate of chicken. The compression made walking challenging for him, yet he still had a strong enough will to jump up for a plate of chicken snackies. Funny thing was that the chicken was for him, just not the entire plate at once. He loved food and would eat just about anything. So we did offer various veggies as snacks. Frozen broccoli, peas, green beans, sometimes grape tomatoes. He was on a lot of meds and would get many of them with a dab of peanut butter. He went through so much he had his very own jar of pb. We did boil boneless/skinless chicken and shredded it. The intent was to add 1/4 to his food but we did save some and gave that as a small snack now and then too. Hard boiled eggs, minus the yolk, were another thing we used as snacks.

I will say that we were pretty strict when he was in the regulation process and didn't often give snacks. As his spinal compression progressed and we knew his time with us was limited we eased up and spoiled him with small bits of 'forbidden snacks' on many occasions. The veggies, chicken, pb and egg often didn't cause a raise in bg, however, every dog is different and testing is the best way to find out what works for your pup. Potato chips and raw hide bones were Decker's true loves. More often than not they did cause a rise. LOL!

Wishing you the best in this new journey!

Monsters Momma 07-01-2013 07:20 AM

Thanks so much for the welcome Holli! Decker sounds a lot like our Vinny! Just when Vinny had become 'Vinny' and not 'Monster', he's back to Monster lately! LOL

I have called the vet and am waiting on a return call. Hopefully they will have some answers before our scheduled visit on Wednesday! He is really driving everyone crazy! I appreciate your suggestions and have been researching on my own...of course. ;) Being so new at this, I just hesitate to add anything without checking first with the vet.

I am sorry for your loss of Decker!

Eddie 07-01-2013 07:29 AM

Hi - just wanted to add my welcome to you and your Monster!

Our dog has had Caninsulin all along as we are in the UK and this seems to be the preferred one here. We get it on the internet as it is less than half the price our vet charges.
He weighs about 63lbs, is a lab cross and gets 13units of Caninsulin twice a day.
For treats we use very small pieces of "puffed jerky" which I think is dried liver or lung or just one or two nuggets of kibble, but Eddie does have a lot of food at mealtimes, due to a digestive disorder.
May be a silly question but is he actually getting enough of the new food? If it were me I might give him a mix of the old and the new or just increase the amount of the new food. Unless he needs to lose a lot of weight, this hunger is just another problem for you when you already have plenty to think about with the diabetes generally! Our vet said the important thing on food was to have something they will reliably eat and then match up the insulin to that. We didn't change Eddie's food on diagnosis (and it is not a "diabetic" food).
Antonia

maladuca 07-01-2013 07:40 AM

Mel ~ I am thinking I will also get the reliOn prime from Walmart. I will need to find the 26 lancets because I don't think they carry them at a Walmart close to me. I will ask at the Pharmacy. I'm nervous about the lip testing. I will try to do the handling slowly this week also but I may try the base of the tail as a start. Trial and error I guess.

Margaret

Monsters Momma 07-01-2013 08:20 AM

Eddie...I don't think he is getting enough food. We've replaced what we were giving him at mealtimes with less and no treats throughout the day. That sounds like less to me! I called the vet, but haven't heard back yet...I'll give them another 15 minutes, then I'll call back. I'm not afraid to be a pain in someone's backside! ;)

Margaret...I watched the video's linked here http://www.k9diabetes.com/bgtestvideos.html It doesn't seem so hard after watching all the different places...even the lip! I also read that they don't really have any feeling in their ear http://www.caninediabetes.org/pdorg/dog_ear_stick.htm, so that might be too bad.

I haven't mentioned that Vinny is just a chicken in dog's clothing, so where ever I do this, it will have to be quick and painless...and anxiety-free! He really should have feathers!

Mel

Eddie 07-01-2013 09:34 AM

I have found that in the end we know our dog a lot better than the vet (obviously!) and although I always let the vet know what I am doing, I don't always do exactly what he suggests and I do tend to contemplate it in the light of the experience of people on here.
So I suppose what I am saying in a roundabout way is that in your case I would follow my instincts on feeding and give him a bit more.
If you can do the home testing then that will help tremendously and make you feel a lot less helpless because you can get good information from it. I was wary and scared of doing it but I am so glad I did. I use the lip (which I thought I never would do!) and Eddie truly doesn't mind. In fact if I get the test kit out and then get distracted, Eddie comes and paws at me to get on with it because he wants the treat which always follows a test!
I started with just curling his lip up[ and dabbing it with a tissue (to dry it off), then poked at it with my finger and gradually built up to actually pricking it with the lancet. He got a treat after every time I did anything and he really enjoyed it and is now completely relaxed about it.
Hope the vet is helpful!
Antonia

Monsters Momma 07-01-2013 10:24 AM

So I guess I've bugged them enough about this hunger thing (Friday and today...twice) that the vet wants to do a BG on Vinny today. Another reason to home test I'm guessing!

Boy, I don't think our vet is ready for me! John is more laid back, taking what Dr's tell him...I am definitely not! I have read so much on this site and other's, taken notes...I do my research! ;)

Eddie 07-01-2013 10:31 AM

Well done!
Our vet had never had clients who took so many charts and lists of info in to see him before (and questions!)- but now he's got used to it and really appreciates our efforts. Last time the vet even asked us how we home test as they had another client who they thought should be doing it as well.

Hope it's a useful appointment.
Antonia

jesse girl 07-01-2013 10:39 AM

most of us on the forum want to give the best care that we can for our pups and with diabetes most of the work is done at home .

this is one disease that can be managed at home and the more effort the better the outcome .

i think we all have a bit of mad scientist in us and we dont give up very easily .