Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Annie & Craig - Getting too smart! (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1637)

k9diabetes 09-18-2010 04:57 PM

Re: Annie - Getting too smart!

I like the N and R separate too - the few people who have used it have generally adjusted the R periodically to fine tune the blood sugar. You just happen to be using a ratio that comes premixed.

One advantage to premixed is you would dull the syringe less with just one draw.

When we tried Chris on NPH, he started with 100% R three times a day. I slowly started replacing 1 unit of R with a unit of NPH so we went through the whole range of ratios as we slowly moved from all R to all NPH. Very handy at the time to have them separate.

I believe it's still offered in 80/20, 70/30, and 50/50.

Natalie

Patty 09-28-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigM (Post 34502)
On the down side, her sight has deteriorated and she is nearly totally blind. We have an appointment with Dr Kirschner next week."

Quote:

We recently thought she had lost the left eye, but a visit to her eye vet has given us hope that with the current treatment she will regain most of her sight in the left eye.
Craig,
I kept meaning to ask how the appointment went. That's great news. What is the current treatment he recommended?

Patty

CraigM 09-28-2010 05:04 PM

Patty,
I don't recall the details other than she thinks there is an excellent chance for Annie to get most of her sight back in her left eye. It was an infection and we have added Ofloxocin drops 6 times per day to her other drops. Also giving 250mg capsules of Cephalexin twice per day.

The eye is still very red, but seems to be getting better. She has Annie on this treatment for three weeks and then re-check.

I've had to reduce the insulin because she was going low. Guess this means the infection was affecting her BG, even though she had a great curve.

CraigM 10-08-2010 11:44 AM

I see on the insulin poll that a few have made the switch from Novolin to Humulin. How was the switch-over? Same number of units? Anything to mention?

CraigM 11-03-2010 12:04 PM

Annie has been great, up until three days ago. Her fasting numbers have shot up to the high 200 - mid 300s from what had been normally in the low 100s. I've kept her insulin the same, and I believe these higher numbers are "rebound".
8AM fasting = 337
11AM = 169
I'll continue the rest of the day to see how low she goes mid afternoon.

The noticable difference the past two days is that she is having trouble with her ears. The ears are slightly red and she is shaking / scratching her ears. This could also be what's causing the BG rise? We are treating her with an OTC ear wash: CUCUMBER MELON EAR CLEANSING AND DRYING SOLUTION. Too soon to see any improvement. Any thoughts on ear cleaning, this particular product, etc.?

The wife says she thinks her (Annie. not wife) previous ear problems have been allergies. We did start using a different flavor "pill pocket" for her pills, thats the only new food item.

peggy0 11-03-2010 01:07 PM

I wouldn't jump to rebound yet. is this an older bottle of insulin? Her ears maybe stressing her out. I use Oticalm to clean my springers ears. They are very prone to yeast infections. I get it at my vets. Witch hazel also works very well if its just for cleaning and itching. i'd watch for infection if her ears are red.

CraigM 11-03-2010 01:49 PM

The higher numbers started on Oct 31, started new vials on Nov 1. Did a check at 1pm = 137. Will check again at 3pm.

Will call her vet office and see if they have something.

So far:
8am 337
11am. 169
1pm. 137

k9diabetes 11-03-2010 01:51 PM

Allergic reaction and infection in the ears would both tend to cause her blood sugar to spike. And any time the ear gets inflamed it's easy for it to get infected so I wouldn't be surprised if it's infected now even if that isn't where it started.

Wouldn't hurt to go back to the old flavor of pill pockets too. They also make a novel protein Pill Pocket (have seen it for cats so assume they make it for dogs) that is duck and green pea with no gluten in it.

Poor girl! I hate it when their ears bother them - it seems miserably uncomfortable.

Natalie

Patty 11-03-2010 02:54 PM

Awe, ear problems are miserable. Ali used to have frequent ear issues we believe were allergy related. Yeast was culprit for her. As Peggy said witch hazel is a help.

It's a bit lengthy, but this is an old post I'd made in helping another dog owner. I do love this solution. It seems to keep things in check for us.

Patty

Quote:

I have tried so many ear solutions out there that I could fill a cabinet twice over, including Zymox that many love without success. Many of them irritated her ears - especially those with acetic acid. The milder ones did nothing but keep her ears moist. We did have luck with the Petco brand ear powder. But it started caking after a while and bothering her.

The night we moved into our new place in NY Ali was beside herself with an ear infection. Her blood sugar was in the 400s due to pain. I was desperate to help her. Carla found a mild ear solution by a homeopathic vet that was our lifesaver.

This recipe was from a trained Classical homeopath. My vet back home and one here also approved it.

If using it during an acute episode I would have a vet look to be sure the ear drum is intact. Ali was in immense pain when we arrived here so I took her to the vet, who confirmed yeast was the cause of her infection (it's always wise to have a culture done to be sure). We used 3 drops of Panalog ointment initially for 7 days to reduce the swelling and itchiness. This does have a steroid component but I know with Ali, I had to address the acute pain/swelling before I could really get to the heart of the issue. After that we started the solution.

I now use this as preventative once a week or once every 2 weeks. I apply about 1/2 to 3/4 of a dropper-full to each ear, put a cotton ball in and massage 40 times. Then let her shake it out and wipe with the wet cotton ball.

Here's the recipe: 1 oz = 2 T
1 oz aloe vera juice
1 oz water
1 oz witch hazel (mine had 14% alcohol)
2 drops therapeutic grade lavender oil
1 drop organic raw apple cider vinegar (I don't shake it though so I don't get particles from the "mother" in my solution)
Mix together and store in glass dropper bottle. Mine keeps in the cupboard for about 3 months. Be sure to shake before each use.

The solution is supposed to be "pretty benign and close to the body's own fluid with just enough of an edge to rid the yeast."

The therapeutic grade lavender oil is important. Therapeutic grade oils will state for internal or topical use. Cosmetic grade oils will state for external use only and could burn the ear. My lavender oil is made by Wyndmere. It says for external use only but on this page states they are therapeutic grade: http://wyndmerenaturals.com/store/pages.php?pageid=8

When I first went hunting for the ingredients it was the lavendar oil ($16) and aloe vera juice (they only had a large bottle) that were a bit pricey but they really last forever and it's been well worth it for us. I found the 100% aloe vera juice, ACV, and a glass dropper bottle at a health food store in town. The witch hazel I think I got at Walmart or Walgreens. And I use the filtered water from my PUR faucet.

We've been using this recipe for almost 2 years. I also keep Ali's ear hair trimmed back so air can flow freely to the ear canal.

Patty 11-03-2010 02:55 PM

I agree with Natalie on going back to the old pill pockets if you can. Ali's ear infections I believe had a lot to do with food allergy as well.