Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

stylynjm 07-20-2013 08:39 AM

Re: Sissy's Mom

What could I do to stretch Sissy out so she doesn't start raising so early in the day?? She seems to be lowering until about hour 5, then starts her rise!!

Riliey and Mo 07-20-2013 09:11 AM

Happy sugar anniversary Jackie and Sissy!

I think wait one more day and do a curve on monday if you can. Show it to your vet.

Try not to change anything till you do a curve.

I would inject right after food and insulin.

Hope this helps

Mo

momofdecker 07-20-2013 09:11 AM

I wish I had some tips for you but tweaking is not a strength of mine.

Just wanted to share one other thought I had. Last I knew Shellie used a very small amount of levemir with Hank. I'm not sure if she uses the pens or vial but she may be another to ask about potency and how long the insulin has lasted for Hank.

I do agree that you need more time with the food change. But you seem to be someone who likes to have a back up plan and a back up to the back up. I plan events for a living and can appreciate wanting to have that plan b and plan c in place. So am passing what I can think of along... just in case you need to go that route. Hoping the food change proves to be helpful and that Sissy levels out, but just in case....

Happy one year anniversary to you and Sissy!

Linda1 07-20-2013 10:31 AM

Happy sugar anniversary Jackie and Sissy!

Abby's Mom 07-20-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylynjm (Post 110664)
What could I do to stretch Sissy out so she doesn't start raising so early in the day?? She seems to be lowering until about hour 5, then starts her rise!!

i had this issue with Abby, and I used Humalog. Your vet will need to write a prescription, but at least you can get 5 pens for free.

https://kwikpenvoucher.humalog.com/form_voucher.cfm?k=4

We only used about 1/8 of a unit to start, when I would start to see her rise. It seemed that the evening one would sky rocket..... as if she ran out of insulin. But once I started to balance things better... she has enough, and we don't need the humalog, as much.

Humalog will only last in Abby about three hrs. So it really helped those times when she seem to run out of insulin about hour 10. I just gave enough to bring her down gently but not too far, so I could keep her on schedule with the Novolin.

R will last a little bit longer than the Humalog. It really is a trial and error type of thing, but if you do decide to try the Humalog, or even the R, start with the smallest amounts, and work your way up.

But I really thing that once a good balance is there, and the proper dosage, the Novolin will last 12 hrs.

Happy Sugaranniversary......!!!

Barb

Shellie 07-20-2013 01:40 PM

I have a similar issue with Hank but my vet is adamantly against using the Humalog...tells me he can't find any evidence of the way I want to use it! And I haven't had the strength to fight him on it. BUT...from what I've seen here...it seems to work very well with good monitoring so I'd go for that before trying the levemir you mentioned in your message. Levemir is good but uber potent so if you can finagle around it, I would.

stylynjm 07-20-2013 03:07 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. Sissy is coming down now, so I can breathe!!!
Will do a curve on Monday and post it.

Barb, you use Humalog and novalin. You give the Humalog whenever you need to not just with meals.

Wouldn't you know that on Sissy's anniversary she would be higher than ever and make me a crazy woman!!!! LOL, We will get through this, I know.:D

P.S. how do you know if your getting overlap??

Judi 07-20-2013 03:47 PM

well you and wobbly Sissy are always beyond anything I can advise on but congratulations on a year! you have done great with her!

stylynjm 07-20-2013 07:38 PM

Thank everyone for their support. Sissy had a crazy day, but now, on to tomarrow ;) Hope she is a little lower tomarrow!!:D

Riliey and Mo 07-20-2013 11:13 PM

Think I found something

Its here under "wellness changed their formula"
I am not good at links buts its k9diabetes forum wellness changed their formula

There saying wellness core doesnt work well for diabetics, it raises their blood sugar

I dont know much more but am still reading other forums

This could be why Sissy bg is high.

Worth a read and looking into

Mo