Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

Abby's Mom 07-21-2013 01:27 PM

Re: Sissy's Mom

Jackie,

I give the Humalog when needed. I am sure it would be difficult to administer if you were not home all the time.... But what I found is that it has helped settle her down.... She was having some good numbers overall, but the last two hours would rise like a rocket. I only administer the humalog when this happened. I have not had to intervene with the humalog for a while now... But it nice to have on hand when something goes awry. Testing a lot gave me the information I needed, and when to administer. It is also important to see how the humalog worked... I found that a 1/4 unit was good, when I knew she was rising... But I started out with just 1/8 of a unit....

So, yes I give the Novolin and Humalog

stylynjm 07-21-2013 04:30 PM

Barb, lol, thanks. Just who I was looking for. How long does the millet last in the frig and can you freeze it once cooked. I cooked some today, have not used it. I had cooked some a few days ago, but it smelled strong to me, so threw it out. I have no taste, so have to go by smell!! Does it keep????
Sissy has had a great day!! started at 360, gave 6.75( reduced insulin by 1/4) and right now, one hour before supper, is at 180 !!!!!!!!! However, my other day, Sam had a really bad seizure today. been a little hectic.:(

Patty 07-21-2013 06:17 PM

So sorry to hear about Sam. I don't remember now, is he epileptic?

You should be able to keep millet for about a week in the fridge.

Watch for that overlap tonight. Wondering if she'll go down yet quite a bit before he food kicks in.

stylynjm 07-21-2013 07:52 PM

Patty, thanks,
Today she did great. started at 360 then 280,240,215, and 232 at supper :)
I waited the 15 mins,( I think that is helping) and then cut her to 6.5 units???
I hope it will work. !! I just checked her at hour 2, she is 300. Oh, maybe I should have cut her more. If it's overlap she will go to low, right???
Sam has seizures. hasn't had to many, 5 in a year, but the last 2 months he has had 3 now. This a.m. I thought I would lose him. He is on bromide. I need to find out about phenobarbital?????

Patty 07-21-2013 08:22 PM

I learned with Ali there are a lot of new med options out there for seizures. Glad he recovered for now.

Sounds like no overlap tonight.

Riliey and Mo 07-21-2013 10:28 PM

Hi Jackie

I give Riles 5 iu at night and 4 1/2 during the day as he tends to go low at the 2 hour mark.

Lets see Sissy, s curve k?

So glad she is out of the 500. Its taken her abit but she is doing better

Mo

Abby's Mom 07-22-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylynjm (Post 110720)
Barb, lol, thanks. Just who I was looking for. How long does the millet last in the frig and can you freeze it once cooked. I cooked some today, have not used it. I had cooked some a few days ago, but it smelled strong to me, so threw it out. I have no taste, so have to go by smell!! Does it keep????
Sissy has had a great day!! started at 360, gave 6.75( reduced insulin by 1/4) and right now, one hour before supper, is at 180 !!!!!!!!! However, my other day, Sam had a really bad seizure today. been a little hectic.:(

I only kept the millet for 1 week at the most. But, yes, I believe it can be frozen. In fact, I have some in the freezer now.

So glad things are settling down with Sissy. It takes a while. My approach was to always try to make it work, but after a good month, review her numbers to see if you are just a 'tweak' away, or need to throw the towel in for something new.

I am sorry that Sam had a seizure. Hope calmer days are ahead for you.

Barb

stylynjm 07-22-2013 09:19 AM

Thanks everyone,
Sissy numbers seem to be a little better. Probably should have done 6.75 units last night, did 6.5. This morning fasting was 393 Alphatrak, 313 confirm meter, and just now at hour 3, she was 272 confirm meter,( on 6.75 units this a.m.) so she is coming down.Looks like we are in better numbers right now, but you know Sissy,LOL, she could throw me a 500???? See what a week does:D

stylynjm 07-22-2013 06:21 PM

I'm wondering if I could get overlap tonight. Can you all tell me if I am seeing it correctly.
Her numbers today: all confirm human meter #'s

6 am 313
9 am 272
11 am 260
1 pm 271
5 pm 245
5:45 fasting before food 237

Her alphatrak fasting am and pm were, 393 am, 321 pm.

I gave her 6.75 units tonight.? Just checking to see if I finally am understanding overlap. Should I have cut her insulin a bit???
:confused:

Riliey and Mo 07-22-2013 07:27 PM

Hi Jackie

I, d wait 3 to 4 days for the changes you made to take affect . Just a little bit of insulin can make a difference.
What your looking for is a fairly flat curve where the numbers are closer together.
Looks like she, s flattening out but watch for the lows
Then test every 2 hours for 12 hours with the alphatrack meter

It looks like raising her from 6.75 to 7 before the food change was too much going to a better food. now you dropped it back to 6.75 Sissy , s numbers are lowering.

Take the decrease slow wait 3 to 4 days see what the curve shows

Your doing great

MO