Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

Abby's Mom 07-23-2013 03:43 AM

Re: Sissy's Mom
 
Jackie,

I do not see overlap just yet... Let things settle in, as for the first time, I think we are seeing some flatter numbers.... Looking pretty good. ;)

Just a comment. Unless you see a low number, I would not change the dose. I would keep her at 6.5 for three days, and then gently raise. I know when I moved Abby up with dosage changes, things would go wacky, until she settled in.

Barb

Patty 07-23-2013 05:03 AM

Re: Sissy's Mom
 
I'd agree with Barb and Mo on holding the dose. Looks like she's not dropping into her shot time like she was before now.

stylynjm 07-23-2013 06:36 AM

Re: Sissy's Mom
 
sounds good, thanks all.
I think you mean hold at 6.75. that has been her usual, or are u thinking she needs less. This morning was 357, and gave 6.75 :)



Jackie

Abby's Mom 07-23-2013 06:56 AM

Re: Sissy's Mom
 
Hi Jackie.

Hold her dose as to what keeps her in a safe range. I think we need to hold steady so we get a good idea as to where she is. If you are changing dosages, we have no way of knowing how she will settle in.

If Sissy is good on 6.75, keep her there for a good 3-5 days.

Barb

stylynjm 07-23-2013 09:12 AM

Re: Sissy's Mom
 
I think she is. The only exception would be if she gets "to low". Then I would have to cut it, right? But just for that low
I am really hopeful we might be getting to a better place, Woohoo:D
We have stayed under 400 for 3 days now!!!

Barb and Patty, she is down to 270 now, 3 hrs out. She was 357 this a.m. She may be going low again all day.
If she does, should I cut back to between 6.5 and 6.75???LOL, or should I add something. I really think we are getting to fine tuning, and I know Nothing about that, so please join in :) Thanks

Riliey and Mo 07-23-2013 10:20 AM

Re: Sissy's Mom
 
Jackie

Sissy is doing great. Her body needs time to adjust still from the food change and also from the insulin reduction. Its not advisable to change insulin on one number or even a days reading.

She needs to stay on 6.75 for at least 5 days then do a curve post her results then we can see if she needs tweeking either her food or insulin.

Jackie

You are soooo close to regulation

Mo

Abby's Mom 07-23-2013 10:50 AM

Re: Sissy's Mom
 
Jackie,

Take it slow. Making too many changes can cause them to jump all over the place. She is no where near low, so keep it steady. Mo is giving good advice.

When I refer to low, that would be anything less than 100 on the alphatrack2. I think we need to keep things as consistent as we can.

We need some good information before we intervene, with anything. Because when we do, then it sort of gets things muddled.

Once we have some good information, we can take a step back, look at the curve, and then do some tweaking.

Whispering things go smoothly..

Barb

stylynjm 07-23-2013 11:33 AM

Re: Sissy's Mom
 
ok, I will keep her at 6.75. I should do that whether she is really high or at her new normal of mid 200's to 300's??
This is kind of new because she has been on adjusting doses???
What would I do if she goes into 100's, still give 6.75???
Sorry for all the questions, ;)

Abby's Mom 07-23-2013 12:43 PM

Re: Sissy's Mom
 
Hi Jackie,

Yes, keep her at 6.75, regardless of the reading. She still adjusting, so we need to know where she will be. She is still in the 200s, and do not panic if she ends up in the 100s. That is good, and where we would like for her to be.

If you get a 100 reading using your other meter, recheck with the AlphaTrak2. When or if you get a reading such as 70 with AlphaTrak2 (that still is a normal reading), then give her some honey, and a small carby treat, and then let us know.

I will sometimes not intervene when I get some lower numbers, if I know that Abby will be raising, but considering this is new territory with Sissy, you may want to intervene with honey and a treat.

If we start to see her trending down, then you may want to backoff on the insulin. This of course will depend on her reading and when in the day it is.

We want to stay as consistent as possible. Let her 'story' unfold.

Barb

Riliey and Mo 07-23-2013 12:49 PM

Re: Sissy's Mom
 
Whispering

Ditto what Barb said. Below 200 is great. 100 to 150 is regulation


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2009, 2010 k9diabetes.com. All rights reserved.