Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

Cebe 12-13-2012 08:40 PM

Re: Sissy's Mom

Has the pattern persisted with the change in location of the shot?

jesse girl 12-13-2012 08:56 PM

that was jesses m.o. she would cycle like you talked about but she would have one good day and 2 higher days

hard to say why i think it is pretty common and the only reason you see it is from daily testing

i thought with jesse her digestion wasnt that consistent maybe the type of food has a an impact as you suggested but it is difficult to change up on a regular bases trying to find a food that maybe more appropriate

you are seeing some good numbers for 2 thirds of the time and maybe things may settle down over time if not you maybe able to use a faster acting insulin on those higher days to correct the higher sugar but i would give a bit more time exploring the food equation and try to see if there maybe a reason you pup is higher on those days and you have to look at everything the first thing i would look at if on that second day or night maybe dropping a bit to low as maybe a explanation and its something easy to miss late at night

sophia 12-13-2012 09:18 PM

thanks. i've been doing sides since I read this. i've had higher readings past 5 days now. but not sure why. for sophia I think she's having trouble digesting food.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylynjm (Post 94901)
What a cute Sophia is.. yes, so much helpful info on our forum:) I will try sides!!

stylynjm 12-13-2012 09:22 PM

Yes Cebe,this has been since about Nov 20th,when I went back to 6.25 a.m. and p.m. due to over 400's on 6.5.
Jessegirl,did u sit it out??

no Cebe,not since shot time or spot change.:):)

stylynjm 12-13-2012 09:30 PM

Oh,should I test at a certain time at nite or do random times.??

jesse girl 12-13-2012 09:35 PM

you could try random test you probably have an idea of the lowest time which is the nadir may loose a bit of sleep but you just want to rule that out for sure

with jesse we determined she was dropping to low after the excess sugar cleared from when she was higher

stylynjm 12-13-2012 09:58 PM

I thought she was lowest from 3-6 a.m.,but the other nite she rose then.I will try midnite to 3 a.m. and see. I usually test her around 9-11 p.m.:):)

Patty 12-14-2012 08:02 AM

So she's higher around 4am and drops into the morning fasting. She really does have large fluctuations. Have you noticed any difference with changing her shot location?

We have had members that DCO works for but more often I've heard of larger swings on it. It's certainly an every dog is different type of thing.

You might look into a gradual food change at this point. If you are looking at a comparable dry food, many use w/d or Blue Buffalo healthy weight.

stylynjm 12-14-2012 11:11 AM

Thanks Patty.I would like to try a food change,I think.Sissy was on w/d for 3 weeks when first diagnosed,but she was on 3 units and got her shot 1 hour after food,so don't think it can be used for comparison. Is blue buffalo a rx or at the pet store.?? Do u think I should look for comparible,or more carbs or more protein??

stylynjm 12-14-2012 11:14 AM

I have had a hectic week( finally settled down) and have not done sides yet.still in stuff area,but less fatty spots