Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

stylynjm 09-30-2012 05:09 PM

Re: Personality change makes me sad:(:(

Thank u. I will do curve Thursday,post it and go from there.!!! That's what my gut is telling me.

stylynjm 09-30-2012 05:15 PM

I will have strips for alphatrak and relion prime!!! My vet has actually not requested one.I told her I was going to do one.

ozzi 09-30-2012 09:05 PM

I never increased Ozzi's insulin dose without doing a curve first. I found it incredibly helpful to see where his numbers were going throughout the day, and make a determination based on that. It's important to see the low and the high values and when they occur over a 12-hour period. While random glucoses are helpful for determining hypo or hyper events at a point in time, they are not adequate for making decisions to increase insulin, because random sugars don't tell the whole story. I'm glad you're trusting your instinct and performing a curve before making insulin dose changes!
Kevin

ozzi 09-30-2012 09:15 PM

Hi,

I was looking through your thread and just saw that Sissy only weighs 13 pounds! 7 units twice/day is a lot of insulin for that size dog, which she may very well need, but given her small size, I would be concerned about making that increase without a curve. I know you mentioned you were planning to do one, and I just wanted to re-encourage (if that's a word) you to continue your plan. Ozzi was 60 pounds and 1/2 unit increase sometimes made a big drop in his BG. Looking forward to seeing the numbers!
Kevin

stylynjm 09-30-2012 11:12 PM

Thank u thank u!!! I believe a moms instinct is a good thing. 7 did not work for her before. Now today her #'s were more back in line. 170-230. I can't wait to do the curve and share the #'s. Can't express how invaluable this wonderful forum is

stylynjm 10-01-2012 12:27 AM

Kevin,lol,spent a lot of time in ipswich and boxford mass growing up!! :)

stylynjm 10-02-2012 02:33 PM

Help!!!!! I was going to do a curve thursday.Sissy is on 6 1/2 units humilin n 2 x day.now on Friday I have to switch to novolin.the pharmacist said it is a little different.they said it is partly synthetic. I don't know whether I should do the curve,how much I should cut the dose when switching, what to do. Please give me some ideas. I am scared all over again!!!!

CraigM 10-02-2012 02:55 PM

Two years ago, many of us were forced to switch from Novolin-N to Humulin-N when Walmart changed contracts. I think I reduced by 1 unit for safety, but within a few days we were back to the same amount we had been giving.

Now we are switching back to Novolin-N from Humulin-N, again due vto Walmart's contract.:) I haven't made the switch yet because I had two vials of Humulin-N in storage, but when I do switch I'll probably reduce by 1/2 unit for a day and see whats happening.

I compare this to switching brands of gasoline, or brands of milk. Slight differences that you most likely won't notice. Guess if I had VERY tight control, down around 90-100, I might pay a little more attention. I've heard some humans use either Novolin or Humulin just based on which one is less expensive at the moment.

CraigM 10-02-2012 02:59 PM

Another idea: could you switch to the Novolin-N TODAY? Then do the curve on Thursday? Guess I wouldn't "curve" Thursday if I was going to switch to Novolin-N on Friday.

I know it's human nature to fear the unknown, but just think; if there is a very slight difference, it might be for the better!

stylynjm 10-02-2012 03:45 PM

Thanks Craig, I don't get paid until tomarrow,so will get novolin then.so sounds like I would be better to switch,probably now Monday.vet wants me to switch when she is there incase I have a problem.!! So then do a curve 3 days or so after the switch??? U do make me feel better that the change shouldn't be an issue. Thanks,Jackie