Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

CraigM 10-07-2012 10:43 AM

Re: Sissy's Mom

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylynjm (Post 88685)
Sissy is in the 100's this am!! Wouldn't u know it. Tomarrow morning we start novolin n. She has been on 6 1/2 units humilin n. Considering her running 100's today,how much would u cut the initial days dose.?????

Assuming she doesn't drop below 100ish, I'd probably only reduce by 1/2 unit. I'd do the small reduction just for peace of mind, as long as you test once or twice during the day you'd see if she was heading lower than you like.

You are doing great!

stylynjm 10-07-2012 11:31 AM

Thank u for the vote a confidence.it really helps to have all of u pup moms and dads!! I will check her again today and in morning, after food before first novolin,just to k.ow where she is at .

Shellie 10-07-2012 12:03 PM

I know! Isn't it great to have so many friends to help out?! And everyone really does understand what you are going thru! That makes it so much better! You really are doing great and can't wait to see where Sissy's numbers are going! :) Good luck tomorrow! hugs!

stylynjm 10-07-2012 01:07 PM

Thanks shellie, I am a wreck about tomarrow.:(:( there is an thread about the switch from novolin to humilin causing lower numbers. Do u know if the humilin or the novolin were causing the lower numbers.?????;;? Thanks for the hugs:):):) just what I needed.:):)

stylynjm 10-07-2012 02:11 PM

When all of u track, what kinds of things do u track??? I do numbers and time,food,and amount of insulin and time. R there other things I should track????

jesse girl 10-07-2012 02:36 PM

the type of curve how consistent it is over time when is the lowest point in the day and is that consistent which is important if you are running low and maybe got an hour left till you start seeing a rise you may not need to intervene with some liquid sugar or you know the last 2 hours of a drop only sees for example maybe only 30 points and your pup is at 120 you once again may not have to worry about it

early on maybe you want to be a bit more conservative because the patterns and trends are not that well established

buddingartist 10-07-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stylynjm (Post 88719)
When all of u track, what kinds of things do u track??? I do numbers and time,food,and amount of insulin and time. R there other things I should track????

If you mean by that the information for your <journal<, I used to track the weather, if we had company, if we left him alone, how many bowel movements, how many pees, days on insulin bottle, vaccines, etc, anything at all that you think may affect Sissy's numbers.

Louise

stylynjm 10-07-2012 03:59 PM

Wow,thanks. As I am starting. Novolin tomarrow,I will keep a more complete record.also,there was a thread about humilin n or novolin n lowering #'s. Do any of u know which one was causing lower numbers. I was confused!! Thank u again for guidance.!!!! It all helps so much.what do people do without this outstanding group of friends:):)

stylynjm 10-08-2012 04:06 PM

Well,Sissy and I made it through the first novolin dose. I gave hee 6 units.so far today her numbers have been about typical, all though this am,after food before insulin she was 450.not to uncommon for an after food reading.then she was 148 at 10a.m. 134 at 11 a.m. and 258 at 1 p.m. I am going to test again before food or insulin,and then a few hrs after insulin. What about staying with the six units for a day or two to see what she does????

Shellie 10-08-2012 10:40 PM

That sounds quite reasonable. A day or two before going back up wouldn't hurt just to be sure! Hugs!