Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

stylynjm 07-16-2013 10:47 AM

Re: Sissy's Mom

Barb,
When you went to the Embark, even during transition, did things go down during transition, or did you have to wait and see??? The embark is my next move, if no luck with this.Abby was a wobbler like Sissy right??

Abby's Mom 07-16-2013 02:39 PM

Jackie,

Abby had some wild swings. She would go in the low 100s, to not only shoot up in the 500s at fasting time. Sometimes depending upon the food, she would start in the 50's and rise to the 400s, and then come back down. Other times, she would drop like a rock, from 500 to 200 within 1-2 hrs. It was crazy.

But during transition, each day - I would see where her numbers would start to decrease, just a bit. What we are really aiming for here is she has a flat curve, so we can safely raise if needed, but if Sissy is running high now, I would not change the insulin dosage. I know those 500s are scary, and believe me, I saw my share of them. But be patient, and focus on the curve.

Barb

stylynjm 07-16-2013 03:20 PM

Barb,
Sissy is nuts, it is driving me crazy!!! One day high to low, the next low to high, then lower 300, then up to 500, then back down to 300's.
She is not feeling good. She is never "active", but I can just tell she isn't herself.
I don't know whether I should abandon this Wellness, or what to do.

I looked at the Zeal, it has fewer cals, less fat & fiber. She is currently on about 340 cals a day and holding her weight. Why did you stop the Zeal??

I like that it doesn't have white potatoes in it.Other than that and the calories, I think either could work.
Where to go from here. I hate her not feeling well.:(:eek: ??????

Abby's Mom 07-16-2013 03:38 PM

Jackie,

I gave Zeal to Abby for over 1 year. It is good to switch proteins, and she had some stomach issues, and as a result I switched. Not sure if that was the reason or not, but actually with the potatoes, I get more even numbers. The Zeal is a good fit as well. I switch between the two, so I have two foods that I can switch the proteins, and both work for Abby.

The Embark is a little cheaper, so you may want to start with it. Potatoes are not such a bad thing, and both flavors are considered low carbs (they don't consider potatoes as carbs... go figure that one!)

Zeal has a lot of protein, but so does the Embark.

Barb

Patty 07-16-2013 05:51 PM

Jackie,
I got your visitor message. Is Sissy seeming to feel unwell because of the higher blood sugar or stomach upset? If her stools are looking ok and you aren't hearing tummy rumbling, my vote would be to continue the transition tomorrow.

As far as Honest Kitchen, it would be a good option as well if this doesn't pan out. I know you are thinking ahead to have something else lined up "in case" but I'm hoping that once Sissy is transitioned you'll be able to work with her pattern a bit more. She may very well need more insulin.

As far as the meat in Honest Kitchen, it is dehydrated but the meat isn't fully cooked prior to this process as I understand it. Please those of you feeding it correct me if I'm wrong! I believe it's closer to a dehydrated raw though the meat goes through a light steaming process.

"Meats and fish
- Gently steamed to eliminate pathogens without irradiation
- Meats are removed from dehydration after reaching a specific temperature
- The entire process (including steaming) takes about 45 minutes" http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/the-...-make-our-food

Several people have had good results with it, though there may be some tweaking that needs to be done with it as well. And...if you have a wobbler, they may still wobble. ;)

Patty

amydunn19 07-16-2013 06:41 PM

I use the Grandma Lucy's Pure Performance Chicken with the Nutrisca dry. I rotate it as a topper with the Merrick canned dinner. Grandma Lucy's is a dehydrated food like Honest Kitchen. I wanted to change to HK but it has alfalfa in it and Maggie is allergic to alfalfa(and all other grasses, plants, and weeds). Anyway, I am quite impressed with these dehydrated foods.

Maggie has done great with Nutrisca dry. In the different foods we tried, she had pretty high numbers with foods with potatoes. Her previous food gave her bad gas and soft, diarrhea-ish stools. I think the chickpeas are a better fiber source for her. She does need a midday snack/meal but she is with me or someone else all the time so that is not a big deal.

She went from 7 units of insulin twice a day on her old foods to 2.5 in the morning and 3 at night. I think it is really true though that they are all different with their metabolism and how they react to ingredients in the foods. It is trial and error for sure.

stylynjm 07-16-2013 07:02 PM

Thank you all,
Patty, I don't think it's from high bg's, it's hard to explain, just not quite herself.
Sissy has normal stools and no tummy grumbles, I am hoping to finish this transition,(with honest kitchen in the wings), and go from there.
Hopefully, we (lol, all of you) can tweek and see if we can get her down some.
I will continue and let you know how it is going. Wow, I hope I don't have to do this to often. It's a guessing game, try to guess what's coming next.
Thanks again, it really helps me.:confused:

Jackie

Riliey and Mo 07-16-2013 07:56 PM

Heres our experience with changing foods

I had Riley up to 6 1/2 units, it seemed strange he looked like he needed more insulin
When I changed his food to Fromm surf and turf it had a lot more ingredients in it. His bg went high then low.
I ended up in a symogy then dropped his insulin back to 4 where he flattened out. He ended up on 5 units.

Sissy, s a 14pound dog so x .25 would be 3.5 units. Sissy, s getting 7 1/4 units

Just thinking and posting how the food change went for us.

Mo

stylynjm 07-16-2013 08:20 PM

Thanks Mo,
Don't think we're in somogy, but am definitely thinking about reducing insulin and seeing what happens. Sissy is a brittle diabetic and gets adjusting doses of insulin based on numbers. This is just a hard change,with her being sooo sensitive and such a wobbler;) Of course, the hope is that will change, and she will level out.:)

Soaphie & Sydney's Mom 07-17-2013 04:37 AM

Nothing to offer other than watching and cheering you on!!!