Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

Abby's Mom 07-17-2013 05:03 AM

Re: Sissy's Mom

Patty, Just to confirm what you and Amy stated that the HK is a dehydrated raw food.

Amy, I stayed away from the potatoes, and the reason why I went with the Zeal... But it was surprising that the Embark that has potatoes actually is working with Abby quite well... It is true every dog is different. For the first time, Abby stays hovering in the 100s to 150s. I never thought we would get here.

Barb

momofdecker 07-17-2013 05:54 AM

Jackie,
Is there any chance Sissy is prone to pancreatic flare ups? Has she ever been tested for pancreatitis? Just thinking back to Cj's thread and it made me wonder.

I think Decker had a bit of digestion struggle and we found that soaking his food in water was helpful to him. Can't really explain why it helped but we did note a difference. Might be something to think about.

Wish I had more to offer. I know you were really hoping a food change would level things out for Sissy. Hang in there - you are still doing a great job!

stylynjm 07-17-2013 09:15 AM

Thanks Holi,
Sissy hasn't had any tummy problems, no grumbles etc. Also I do soak her food in water, at nite for a.m. and in a.m. for nite because she doesn't have many teeth,( none that meet) and can't chew the hard kibble :)
Thanks for the support;)

Jackie

Riliey and Mo 07-17-2013 12:25 PM

Am thinking 5/8 of a cup of wellness which is 5 ounces might be too much. Food might be causing the higher numbers

Have you tried 4 ounces twice a day? Before reducing the insulin.

I gave riles 3/4 cup his numbers went higher reduced to 1/2 cup (4 oz)
Cant wait to see her curve.

How is her fasting nunbers ? Is she on all wellness now?

Thinking of you

Mo

stylynjm 07-17-2013 02:42 PM

Hi Mo,
she is on 1/2 cup now, 2 times a day, due to increased calories of the Wellness.
I am hoping to be at 100% new food tomarrow. Today is 1/8 cup old, 3/8 cup new:)
Her fasting numbers are from 300's to 600 !!!! Getting a little better. 400 this a.m. Sissy is extremely sensitive to change and it takes her quite awhile to adjust. LOL, that's my baby girl ;)

Patty 07-17-2013 09:03 PM

Yeah, glad that the full switch is in sight :)

stylynjm 07-18-2013 06:19 AM

Lol, thanks Patty, me too!!!!!
As of this morning, fasting was 409, gave 7 units, and 100% wellness crf.!!!
Now we can see what happens;)

stylynjm 07-18-2013 04:28 PM

Question time !!!!

When should I start to see better numbers if I am going to get them??

What is the top amount of insulin Sissy should need??? 14 lbs

When should I do my first curve, should I wait 4-5 days???

If possible cushings is in the mix, is it likely I won't see a change, or could another food change help??? ie honest kitchen, Embark ???

Just read a link that Holi posted for Elliot about "hard to regulate". Is it possible that Sissy is truly insulin resistant, and what would I do???? How would I know???

So far today( 1st day on 100% new food) she has been high 300's. Will post tonights fasting bg's. This a.m. Sissy was 416, and tonite 362, lowest nitetime fasting reading since we started new food... fingers crossed.;)

Thank you in advance:confused:

Jackie

amydunn19 07-18-2013 06:10 PM

I know you are frustrated and I don't know if anyone has a clear answer for a timeline for better numbers. Some dogs are quite sensitive to any change in food or insulin and others just settle in slowly. I personally would wait 4-5 days if she is in the 300's before I do a full curve or make another change in food or insulin.

Maggie is 14 lbs and has been on as much as 9 units. I always thought the higher the number that must mean I am somehow failing her but some dogs just take more. I don't know if Sissy would be considered resistant because she does drop some. Not to say that she wouldn't benefit from a different insulin. What does your vet say?

Sorry I don't have much insight to share.

Patty 07-18-2013 09:08 PM

When should I start to see better numbers if I am going to get them?? I'd wait 3 days if she doesn't have any ketones. Her numbers may continue to drop.

What is the top amount of insulin Sissy should need??? 14 lbs Some dogs just require more insulin, others less. You'll have to let her curve determine this. But you aren't close to resistant.

When should I do my first curve, should I wait 4-5 days??? I'd wait 3-5 days. Less if her numbers remain quite high, longer if she's continuing to drop and "settle in."

If possible cushings is in the mix, is it likely I won't see a change, or could another food change help??? ie honest kitchen, Embark ??? I'd put these ?s on hold. You are getting ahead of the ball game ;). See how she settles in before entertaining these questions.

Just read a link that Holi posted for Elliot about "hard to regulate". Is it possible that Sissy is truly insulin resistant, and what would I do???? How would I know??? Insulin resistance is defined as needing 1u or more per pound of dog per injection. You have a lot of room for increase.

So far today( 1st day on 100% new food) she has been high 300's. Will post tonights fasting bg's. This a.m. Sissy was 416, and tonite 362, lowest nitetime fasting reading since we started new food... fingers crossed.;) That's promising.

Thank you in advance:confused: Hang in there.
Patty