Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sissy became an Angel December 29, 2016 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5557)

stylynjm 07-18-2013 09:20 PM

Re: Sissy's Mom

Patty,
perfect, thank you so much. LOL,I know, but you know me, LOL,I try to be one step ahead. I know, that doesn't work with these gals!!!! It helps me to know things like is she near her insulin limit. That tells me a lot for future info:)
I will give her 3-5 days, do a curve and go from there. She has not had any keytones since out of 500's.( then she had a trace) It is nice to at least be in the 300's and low 400's. Hope she doesn't hear me!!! ;) thanks

Jackie

Riliey and Mo 07-18-2013 09:37 PM

Good going Jackie.

Patty is right on

I would test at fasting and 2 hours after food and insulin, continue with the strip testing.

Now the food change is complete, the curve will show an increase or decrease in insulin.

You can always add more carbs without changing insulin. Thats a step ahead. Goo d your thinking out of the box.

Cant wait to see the curve

How is Sissy feeling, better?

Mo

stylynjm 07-18-2013 10:39 PM

Watching her tonight!!! She just went below 300!!!! first time in quite awhile. We are at hour 4...:)I will watch her closely tonight..;)

Patty 07-19-2013 07:10 AM

Hope things went smoothly last night Jackie.

Abby's Mom 07-19-2013 07:23 AM

Jackie...

That is good news... hoping she settles in, with a nice flattish curve..

Barb

stylynjm 07-19-2013 10:04 AM

I thought maybe things were better, went down to about 290 at hr 4-5, then up, and this morning fasting was 487!!!!! ????? I don't even understand it. I will hang in there :confused:, do a curve on Monday and then get some help from my friends!!!! :D
Is there anything I should do differently now??

Jackie

Abby's Mom 07-19-2013 11:11 AM

Jackie,

I think I would keep on testing to see where she ends up, before she shoots back up (but that would be me). Probably something you can do during the day. After the food change her curve may have changed, you will need to find out where her nadir is. If you are spot checking, then perhaps follow her trend down and see how far she goes.

If you feel that you should wait as Patty suggested.... you may want to hold tight and not test at all. It will just drive you crazy. You know that she is not going too low.... so let it ride for a few days.

Barb

stylynjm 07-19-2013 11:56 AM

Hey Barb, Thanks. It seems like her nadir is 4-5 hours. then she raises until about 4 p.m. then goes down until 6 p.m.
I have been testing about 4 times a day, so have some idea. The problem is, LOL, as you have been through, one day she will go one way, the next day different!!!!!
I think you have a good idea, and just let her ride for a few days, and give her poor little carpal pads a rest. Yes, you are right, she is seldom even going into the 200's, so at this point I don't think I have to worry about lows.:confused:

Jackie

stylynjm 07-19-2013 03:16 PM

Help with levemir info??

Vets first choice is to try levemir, if I can afford it. If not, she wants me to up Sissy's scale to 200-350, 7.5 units nph, over 350, 8 units.:eek:

??? How long does levemir last once opened??
The pharmacy said 28 days!!! Is that right?

what needles do you use??
Are they the u-100 same as nph

How does it compare in doses to nph???

Any info on it or thoughts whether it might help Sissy????

Thanks, jackie

jesse girl 07-19-2013 03:41 PM

levemir has done well for pups to flatten out the numbers and not as peaky as nph

its maybe more appropriate for a dog on a higher dose maybe 10 units and higher do to the fact its 4 times as potent as nph which would mean if siisy was on 8 units that would equate to two units of levemir

so as you can see dose adjustments may have to get in the mico range depending how sensitive sissy is to the insulin.

jesse has not used it but has used r insulin which is a clear insulin as levimer and the r insulin is over a year old and still works like the first day we bought it so high upfront cost may be subdued by it longevity.

my thought if you are struggling its ok to try something else you can always switch back