Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the consensus?

Good morning all!

i'm using Novolin N from walmart and Allie gets 8cc's twice daily. i'm wondering if anyone discards the insulin or if do you continue to use it until its gone? my vet advised that i didnt need to discard it but i've seen a couple of responses on ohter posts that indicate this may not be what others are being told.

-dawnelle

Re: what's the consensus?

Welcome,
    I think most people on here use theirs for 32-45 days. I use mine for about 38 days, then throw the rest out and get a new bottle...
    Sissy 13 yr old Bichon, born 4/17/03, 12 lbs. Diagnoised 7/20/12. Passed away 12/29/16 in my arms. My life will never be the same again. She will always be with me. Run free my babygirl 3 ozs I/D 4 x's day. 1.75 units levemir 2 times a day. .1 mg thyroid pill, tramadol for leg pain, morning & night,Use Alphatrak 2 and Relion Confirm meters.

Comment

I guess it depends if you home test or not and able to see if insulin becomes less affective over time

we go about 2 months and maybe use half a bottle . now novolin from wallmart is fairly inexpensive compared to other insulin's so the incentive to hold onto it longer is not as important for most but I do understand some have to really watch there pennies
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I have a dog on NPH and a dog on Vetsulin. The vetsulin only lasts about 3 weeks given her dosage so we never have to throw it out due to potency issues. The NPH lasts a couple months (we use it all) and we haven't seen any degradation. We also home test so we can keep an eye on it
        Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

I used all the Novolin too, ... usually around 40 days.
          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

I switch out the Novolin-N every 6 weeks (tossing about 1/3 the vial). I figure Novolin-N thru Walmart is cheap enough that I'd just go ahead and keep it fairly fresh. Be sure to roll / mix the vial so that it remains the same strength

BTW, Allie is getting 8 units of insulin, not 8cc. The entire vial of insulin contains only 10cc of insulin. We Americans have trouble with the metric system, don't we? The vial contains 10cc / 1000 units.

Craig
            Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Ditto to Craig, that's one of the reason I'm happy with the switch. We were getting such mixed info on how the longevity of Humulin, even from the manufacturer. Novolin says 42 days, so for less than $.50 day I don't feel wasteful discarding the remainder.
              Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years

Comment

Jenny's dose is pretty small and I have noticed a decrease in effectiveness anywhere from 4 -6 weeks. So I try to toss it after 4 or 5 weeks.

I actually keep 3 bottles in the fridge in case I break one, but I rotate the oldest out as we hit the 4-5 week mark for the new bottle. I write the date we start using it on the box.

After 2 1/2 years even my husband is finally catching on to this system! (I used to have to hide the extra bottles so he could easily find the one to use - he gets nervous)
                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I can usually see the novolin n lose its effectiveness after 40 days. I will see the numbers start to drift up then start a new bottle and they are back where they should be.

I did notice something with the relion syringes in the past couple of months - when I uncap the syringe, there is trapped air in the end of the syringe. I have used them for years and have never had air in the syringe before. If you inject the air into the insulin, the insulin seems to lose the effectiveness much faster. I would stick the needle in without thinking because I have never had to think about it before, and either pull the needle back out and release the air or inject the air into the bottle. Either way, more air gets in the bottle. I have had to make a conscious effort to expel the air before I stick the bottle.
                  Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                    I did notice something with the relion syringes in the past couple of months - when I uncap the syringe, there is trapped air in the end of the syringe. I have used them for years and have never had air in the syringe before. If you inject the air into the insulin, the insulin seems to lose the effectiveness much faster. I would stick the needle in without thinking because I have never had to think about it before, and either pull the needle back out and release the air or inject the air into the bottle. Either way, more air gets in the bottle. I have had to make a conscious effort to expel the air before I stick the bottle.
                    I don't really understand this Amy. Don't you inject air into the vial before drawing out the insulin anyway? I know I've read somewhere (insulin data sheet?) that if you are going to inject, say 7 units, you should inject 7 "units" of air into the vial first to raise the pressure in order to withdrawal the insulin.

Craig
                    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Wow, Amy; do you never inject any air into the insulin vial? If so, I'm surprised your vials haven't imploded

I always had at least three vials in the fridge. One fresh, unopened, spare, in case I dropped a vial or broke one. Also, the previous one, theoretically (by my theory and my vet's suggestion) expired after 35 days (five weeks), and the vial I was currently drawing from.

Every time I bought insulin, I marked the BOX AND the vial with fine-tipped marker, with the purchase date. Every time I opened a vial (punctured it for the first time, I wrote the opening date on the vial (and maybe the box as well, though I don't remember now - too many senior moments). And then I think I marked the closing - retirement - date on box and vial.

I was religious about the five weeks, as once I went over, and BG tests seemed to indicate the insulin was losing a bit of its potency.
                      http://www.coherentdog.org/
                      CarolW

Comment

Over time, the vial would become a vacuum without injecting some air into the vial first.
                        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Re: what's the consensus? (sterile air)

Maybe somebody could make a mint by selling vials of sterile air

Procedure:

1) draw up X units of sterile air from the vial of it.

2) inject the sterile air into the insulin vial.

3) draw up your insulin dose (same number of units).

Hmm; I foresee a problem. You'd need to inject air into the vial of sterile air, so it doesn't implode. Perhaps, then, you need a SECOND vial of sterile air, so as not to contaminate the first vial of it.

And so forth.
                          http://www.coherentdog.org/
                          CarolW

Comment

In six years, I have never injected air into the vial. Oh no!!!

I once tried to read that sheet that comes with the insulin. I gave up after the first paragraph.
                            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Originally posted by amydunn19 View Post
                              In six years, I have never injected air into the vial. Oh no!!!

I once tried to read that sheet that comes with the insulin. I gave up after the first paragraph.
                              there's a sheet?
                              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                              X