Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

amydunn19 07-15-2013 08:31 PM

Re: My Monster Vinny

I will be interested to see a curve at 17.5 units. If the monster is really active(I am figuring a 7 yr old lab is still pretty active), then you might not want to get the numbers so tight that there is no room for error. You want great numbers - the best you can get, but you don't want to worry about him going low from doing regular "fun dog stuff" like playing. Remind me, are you able to be home with him all day?

Monsters Momma 07-16-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amydunn19 (Post 110351)
Remind me, are you able to be home with him all day?

No we aren't, but Bogey (our other dog) is crated during the day...he can't be trusted! ;) So the only thing Vinny gets excited about while we're gong is people passing by or mailman...that kind of thing.

I don't want his numbers to be too low either...I want some room in there. Friday, I'll be able to do another curve.
Mel

Monsters Momma 07-16-2013 12:35 PM

So, I could use some input.

So, about a month before Vinny was diagnosed, we went on a camping trip. It was actually to a friends property, but definitely tent camping. Now, Vinny and I were done and ready to leave by about 8pm...Vinny let us know this by jumping into my van, laying down and refusing to get out! :D I had to be more subtle...in fact, I had to suck it up. :p (In my own defense, I never grew up camping, John asked me what I thought we needed for our camping trip and I said "A hotel room." :D )My daughter, husband and Bogey all loved it!!

So John comes home last night talking about the idea of another camping trip in a month or so and I'm wondering "How do we do this with Vinny?" We basically let them go off chain from the time we got there till the time we left the next day. There was an extraordinary amount of physical activity...I can tell this because the dogs slept the entire next day and a half.

So, how do we do this with Vinny? Advice needed!!
Mel

momofdecker 07-16-2013 01:24 PM

So are you looking for the 'you should find a hotel and stay there with Vinny' answer - LOL!

Vinny sounds pretty great, but I have to be honest and say I think I'd like your Bogey dog a lot too!

I'm a big believer in letting a dog be a dog when the circumstances fit. We did take Decker for a 'playdate on the lake' shortly after he lost his vision and before his hypothyroidism had been diagnosed. My daughter's bff lives on the lake and we were invited for the day so the girls could play. The family knew Decker's circumstances so Kinser & Decker were invited to come play as well. We were there from probably 10a to around 10p. Decker had been fasted that morning and his bloodwork had been drawn to send out for his full thyroid panel. We packed his dinner, meter, lots of test strips, karo, extra food, biscuits, water dishes, etc... Got there and John helped him out of the car and he was so excited he took off running. Blindly running. Got going down hill so fast (his legs did not have a lot of strength at the time) that he nearly took a header into a tree as he could not stop himself. I wanted to be scared but when I looked at him I swear he was smiling the whole time - he was so happy!

He had no love of water and we were bad and took advantage of his loss of sight and did walk him along the shore line to help cool him off. He even played some tuggie with the husband trying to free himself from his leash. After both dogs had a bit of 'free time' we gated them up on the deck. Sneaky boy decided there was way too much to explore and found a way around the gate and took off exploring on his own. Thank goodness he did not get far before we discovered he was missing. Our sighted dog remained on the deck. I still don't want to know how he made it down the deck steps.

Temps were probably 75-80 degrees and not too humid. About two hours before dinner his bg was dipping lower than I was comfortable with so he got some food/karo. His fasting was decent but he started to drop after his food and he ended up eating most of Kinser's food (Kinser typically does not eat when he is not at home - just picky that way). I know they all thought I was a bit crazy because I did test him a lot that day and did intervene a few times. Didn't really bother me though, knowing he was safe allowed me to relax, let me have some fun and I enjoyed some good drinks. Being 'that crazy lady' was totally worth it to me.

He never quite got to the point where we could exercise him like that again. But if that chance had presented itself, I would have reduced his insulin and brought extra food/karo/biscuits, along with the testing supplies, and let him smile as he did that day. And yes, having some drinks to enjoy doesn't hurt either :)!

Totally forgot to mention the insulin. He was on levemir and up to 10u at the time. We packed it in a cooler - had about an hour drive. Then transferred it to their fridge when we arrived. Left myself several notes so I didn't forget it. At 136.00 per vial I had no desire to forget or have it go bad. Also packed a few extra needles, just in case.... It was kind of like traveling with a baby. Always have way more than you likely need but you are well prepared for just about anything.

jesse girl 07-16-2013 01:26 PM

i have done this with jesse we camped before diagnosis and after

for us we just cut the dose . when first starting out with trips i cut more than what was needed and overtime and more trips i figured what is appropriate .

i tested her at her low point and physical activity

gave extra treats which some were the forbidden fruit so she was happy about that

just got back from san diego and the beach and her numbers mostly high 100s and 200s . i tested her when she seemed a bit out of it but no lows and that was our goal

i would say go enjoy your family and let vinny have some fun bring your meter cut the dose a bit . you will be a bit on guard nobody else has to know it will be you and vinnys secret talk it over with him so hes on board

amydunn19 07-16-2013 01:52 PM

Sometimes being away from home will cause Maggie to go lower. We have a cabin on a lake not far from here. The guys use it mostly for hunting but we decided to go July 4. Maggie stayed a little lower than normal - I think she just felt a little out of her element. She was getting a lot of attention from strange people and not her house or bed. She is kind of a little diva - a normal dog may not be bothered at all.

Judi 07-16-2013 02:06 PM

I always lower Jenny's dose if I think she is going to be in a really excited active situation. (she is currently a slug in the air conditioning since our humidity is bad but it has happened!)

I'm on the "let a dog be a dog" team.

You are a good sport who will deserve a spa weekend after this!

Patty 07-16-2013 05:57 PM

Mel,
I'm short on time tonight, but do a search here for Tricia's Lily. You should be able to search within her thread for swimming. When Lily is really active, Tricia found she had to drastically reduce Lily's insulin (by 1/2 the amount I believe). Her thread may help.
Patty

Monsters Momma 07-17-2013 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momofdecker (Post 110391)
So are you looking for the 'you should find a hotel and stay there with Vinny' answer - LOL!

Well, kind of! ;):D A girl can hope right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judi (Post 110401)
I'm on the "let a dog be a dog" team.

You are a good sport who will deserve a spa weekend after this!

I've been on that team as well...thanks for the reminder. I will definitely push the spa weekend thing! ;) At least a spa day!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse girl (Post 110392)
i would say go enjoy your family and let vinny have some fun bring your meter cut the dose a bit . you will be a bit on guard nobody else has to know it will be you and vinnys secret talk it over with him so hes on board

I see cut the dose a bit and cut the dose in half...do I play that by ear and what if I've cut it too much, do I give him more insulin or just a treat or three? ;)

Thanks for everyone's comments! :)

jesse girl 07-17-2013 08:04 AM

you could give less during the day when active and might be able to give a normal dose when sleeping .

cant say how much to cut but depending how much testing you want to do the more testing you may be able to cut less and if you want to test less you may want to cut more

its such a wonderful tool to keep our pups safe , you will do great and remember the information you get from this trip will help with the next .