Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

Monsters Momma 08-14-2013 08:16 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily (Post 112278)
Pop Tarts.....they are delicious :D Glad you guys made it through ok :)

Yes they are!! :D I find it difficult to stay away from when I buy them for my daughter! ;)

Monsters Momma 08-14-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judi (Post 112281)
you've had a rough morning! it may take him a day or so to settle down but he will. little stinker!

A lot of people use a long handled ladle if they have one. my vet made something like that using a yardstick. Jenny is so small I just push a disposable pan under her if I can.

do you have strips? hang in there. Judi

You know, Vinny has put up with a lot since his diagnosis...I cannot imagine him allowing me to put a ladle under him! :D

No I don't have strips...I saw that Walgreen's had some while I was waiting on a Rx...that's what got me thinking. :rolleyes:

Mel

Abby's Mom 08-14-2013 08:34 AM

I have used the strips, but just pass them through the urine while she is going. Abby squats, but she doesn't like it when I follow her around. She has me stromping through the woods under decks, porches, when she sees me following her. Suspicious little one, she is :)

I think a full curve may be needed to find out what is going on. I too have been getting some high fasting numbers, and I think I need to reduce. Some days I notice she stays in the 90s and others she is higher. I am glad I home test, otherwise, this would go unnoticed, because there is no difference in her behavior.

Cruise control.... what is that??

Barb

maladuca 08-14-2013 08:40 AM

I bought the urine strips at Walmart ~ pretty cheap there. I only use them if Teddy's sugar is close to 400. He has only ever shown a "trace" of keytones. If he were to ever spike into the 600s again I will be glad to have them on hand in case the vet would need to intervene.
I too follow him around an place the strip into his urine stream. He just looks at me weird but doesn't seem to mind. It would be more difficult for a girl dog I image.

Monsters Momma 08-14-2013 12:07 PM

:D I have the funniest image of me following Vinny around with a strip in my hand! LOL

I think I may have to go buy some just for peace of mind. I went home at lunch and his bg was up to 369 and that was supposed to be at his lowest point! :eek: It hasn't been that high in a while.

Stupid Pop-Tart eating dog!! :p

Eddie 08-15-2013 02:02 AM

We found collecting urine samples very easy - with a biggish boy dog - just pursue him with a clean pot and dip it in midstream. Little girls must be a lot harder!

Monsters Momma 08-15-2013 05:43 AM

I am feeling much better today about Vinny's numbers! Last night before dinner he was at 321, at 10pm he was down to 170! :) This morning 269 before breakfast and 210 2 hrs later. :) That's more like it.

No Pop Tarts today! ;)

Judi 08-15-2013 06:35 AM

wow, that is great! it's nice to be testing and know isn't it?

SandyL 08-15-2013 07:43 AM

I've NEVER been able to test tiggys urine!! She practically sits down when she pees and like Abby, will go behind bushes etc if I tried following her around!

One of the big reasons I started home testing pretty much immediately lol

Sandy

Abby's Mom 08-15-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 112359)
I am feeling much better today about Vinny's numbers! Last night before dinner he was at 321, at 10pm he was down to 170! :) This morning 269 before breakfast and 210 2 hrs later. :) That's more like it.

No Pop Tarts today! ;)

Yay!! It doesn't take much sometimes to get back to 'normal'

Barb