Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

momofdecker 07-02-2013 10:56 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny

Our vet often did the same thing early on. Something else to consider. There is venous blood (taken via vein) and capillary blood (how most folks test their dogs - via lancet). Most meters are designed to read capillary blood. So if you were to do a side by side comparison with your meter vs vet's meter - you would want them to draw the blood using a lancet and test it on their meter. Ideally, you'd want to have a large enough drop to test your meter with the same drop of blood.

CraigM 07-02-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 109501)
I feel silly, because I just bought the ReliOn...talk me down from this ledge! ;)

Nothing silly there!:) You are just starting your collection:D. I've said elsewhere, I think the best solution (for Annie & me) is to have both the AlphaTrak and a cheap (strip wise) ReliOn Prime or Confirm.

Craig

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5i89t2bo5obiaxx/P5300001.JPG

maladuca 07-02-2013 02:18 PM

I used my ReliOn today at the same time of day that the vet does Teddy's spot BG - 3:00. It read 496. I think I read that you need to add to that because the reliOn runs low? I'm assuming it is lower than the one run at the vet's. Yikes. I had hoped that 8 units would help a bit.

Oh - I did the test at the base of the tail. I had just shaved an area there. He didn't even flinch. Just like you - I tested it on my finger first. Ouch!

Margaret

Monsters Momma 07-03-2013 07:48 AM

Just wanted to say how thankful I am for this website! I have learned so much and haven't been afraid to ask questions of my vet or push when I felt I needed to. ;)

I have also been shocked at Vinny and how he has reacted to me poking and prodding him...he's allowed me to do pretty much whatever I want to him! :D Maybe I'm just doing it with a little more confidence because of all of you! Maybe it's the green bean treats he's getting after I poke him! :rolleyes:

BTW...I found an AlphaTrak 2 on Ebay for a great price...I couldn't pass it up, so we'll see! I guess I am starting my collection! :o

Mel

jesse girl 07-03-2013 08:17 AM

it sounds like you guys are settling into a routine

dogs love to please if given the opportunity

jesse gives me kisses after i test her and wags her tail such funny spirits

Monsters Momma 07-04-2013 04:32 AM

I am going to try to do a curve today. <Crossing my fingers> Every time I have tried to do a blood sample since I bought the ReliOn Prime, somehow it's gotten messed up, a different human error every time! :o

So, today, I've already messed this up in a way...I didn't do a test before I fed Vinny. Oh, well...I will continue on with the rest of the day and see what happens. Wish me luck!:p

Mel

Eddie 07-04-2013 05:07 AM

Ah don't worry about missing the fasting test....there's always another one to do 12 hours later....and you can do a few in between anyway and see how he's doing. It's all good practice!
Like you, I have been happily surprised at how compliant our dog is with all that we do to him. At first I used to steel myself eg to test on his lip, telling myself that it was to help save his life and he just had to put up with it, but gradually I realised that most of the reluctance was on my part and he didn't really mind any of it, so long as he got his little treat afterwards.
In some ways it can even make you closer to your dog which is a nice side-effect.
Hope it goes well today
Antonia

Rubytuesday 07-04-2013 07:56 AM

Hi there, If you are able to do the curve another day I would postpone. For Ruby the fasting number was really important as she used to get a really big food rise and I wanted to track that.

As Antonia says maybe just some practice today to take some of the tension out of it.

Tara

CraigM 07-04-2013 08:24 AM

Don't know about where you live, or what you may have planned, but I don't plan to test Annie other than the regular fasting tests. We are having a family picnic that will be a bunch of people and two dogs in Annie's "space". She won't be too happy with all the commotion, except if someone throws a ball for her. Then the fireworks later this evening will really get her worked up. Today will not be a normal, typical day for her! Then again, testing is always fun and she might appreciate the few quiet minutes:)

Craig

Monsters Momma 07-04-2013 09:20 AM

Today is pretty much like any Saturday around here...just working in the yard and hanging out. No real excitement so I have done 3 tests. Vinny was fed at 6am and being so tired, I just forgot I was going to do a curve today. So, here are his numbers and I'm a bit concerned, although I keep telling myself I'm doing this with a ReliOn meter and so his numbers are probably higher...

8am 156
10am 118
12pm 69

What do you think?