Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

jesse girl 03-09-2014 10:48 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny

mel this is not totally uncommon . my jesse use to rise quite dramatically when insulin had faded during exercise. there was a time i gave her a mico dose of insulin before we went for our walk (not something i would recommend)

early on i would take jesse from one side of town to the other to lower her blood sugar and for jesse this just made her blood sugar more erratic.the temporary reduction had no lasting positive affect on blood sugar but she enjoyed the walk .

i learned with her times and amounts had to be constant so her body can adapt and over time it worked no snacks needed or micro doses of insulin anymore.

i think levels in the 300s and 400s is that gray area for dogs not terribly high but at a level that may have an affect over a long period of time . its definitely a level that there should not be panic.

for me i dont mind temporary adjustments or just the acceptance that jesse may need more insulin with higher levels . what we look for is any deterioration of numbers raising the dose as a key indicator moving forward .

we are close to 8 units for the day for jesse where she was stable on 6 or lower so a fairly substantial increase but her blood sugar became more stable that gave us the opportunity to have better regulation.

so with stable elevated blood sugar the opportunity to raise the dose in small amounts is possible. a half unit may lower blood sugar as much as 50 points and sometimes more in some and some cases having no affect . i dont like seeing anymore than that 50 point reduction with a dose adjustment higher.

Monsters Momma 03-09-2014 12:14 PM

Jesse's Girl...I'm beginning to think we may need to change his food again. I'm concerns that with these numbers the vet is going to want me to take him to 24 2x a day and quite honestly I can't blame her. I'd just like to give him the least amount necessary.

In December, I think we were at 19 before I switched his food and I knew he would go up, I guess I didn't expect this much. Maybe second guessing myself.

jesse girl 03-09-2014 12:29 PM

yes i have second guess many things i have done the funny thing is what i believed in the beginning of this adventure was close to the correct path we are still on today

i switched jesses food quite a bit mixed and matched and ended going back to our original concept and tweaked it till we were satisfied

about insulin dosing what ever the dose that is needed for regulation you are comfortable with. doesnt matter to much how high that dose could be

now i can understand your desire to keep the dose as low as you can with maybe less insulin you may run into less difficulties if problems do arise and i do have that thought process with jesse but if she needs more and she has over the last year i am fine with that .

so you have to make a decision on returning to an earlier time as far as food or raising the dose but remember you just want to do one at a time and i dont believe there is a wrong answer with either

there are times with jesses challenges i had to turn off the noise and go to a quite place to make some important choices on what direction to go . because in the end the choice is yours and you will make the best for vinny

amydunn19 03-09-2014 01:30 PM

I think you just have to weigh it out. If you think the food is of higher benefit to him, then stay with it and increase his insulin. I mean there is not much difference between 19 & 25 - it is not like that extra insulin is indicative of how he is doing health wise and it is not like other drugs where you worry about damage to their organs. Of course, with a dog Vinny's size, you do have to worry about cost and how much that extra insulin will increase your bill. It is always something.....

Judi 03-09-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 125263)
Jesse's Girl...I'm beginning to think we may need to change his food again. I'm concerns that with these numbers the vet is going to want me to take him to 24 2x a day and quite honestly I can't blame her. I'd just like to give him the least amount necessary.

In December, I think we were at 19 before I switched his food and I knew he would go up, I guess I didn't expect this much. Maybe second guessing myself.

When Jenny's cortisol was going low and she required less and less insulin I remember feeling (incorrectly) like I was doing something right. In my head less insulin meant healthier dog. It took Natalie to remind me that there are no prizes for the least insulin used! duh

Like Amy said, if he needs a little more, he needs a little more. No ear or tooth infections right?

hugs, Judi

Monsters Momma 04-03-2014 08:50 AM

Well we've continued to struggle with the weight / blood glucose issues since I posted last. We've changed him to a lower calorie but in the same Blue Buffalo family and we have upped his insulin because I could not get him below 300 on a regular basis. So he's on 26 units now of Vetsulin and hovering around 300 today.

I believe I need to reset back to December when I had his bg controlled in the high 100's to low 200's and see if we can add some calories to his diet from there...again. If anyone has some other ideas I'm willing to listen, I just feel like we've given this a fair shot and it's not working. I'm also wondering if I gave his past diet a fair shot after we figured out Vinny had lost all that weight. Maybe if we had just stayed the course he would have start gaining back weight.

Anyway, the plan I to do a rewind and switch him back to his old food and drop his insulin back too. Then punt.

sherryandfred 04-03-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 127340)
Well we've continued to struggle with the weight / blood glucose issues since I posted last. We've changed him to a lower calorie but in the same Blue Buffalo family and we have upped his insulin because I could not get him below 300 on a regular basis. So he's on 26 units now of Vetsulin and hovering around 300 today.

I believe I need to reset back to December when I had his bg controlled in the high 100's to low 200's and see if we can add some calories to his diet from there...again. If anyone has some other ideas I'm willing to listen, I just feel like we've given this a fair shot and it's not working. I'm also wondering if I gave his past diet a fair shot after we figured out Vinny had lost all that weight. Maybe if we had just stayed the course he would have start gaining back weight.

Anyway, the plan I to do a rewind and switch him back to his old food and drop his insulin back too. Then punt.

i found after awhile when fred was on vetsulin that it didnt work for him..thats why we switched to what he was on the Novolin N..not sure if you can look at changing or not? if not i am sure you will figure it out..hope he does better for you soon..

jesse girl 04-03-2014 02:11 PM

nothing wrong with switching back to an earlier time that saw better results . you have worked this new routine every which way you can and its not a complete loss . figuring out what doesn't work is important . i have allot of them on the list but sometimes some of them work there way back in but tweeked a different way .

sometimes its not the change that cause the problem and it can be the insulin just is not working that well anymore as sherry suggested and sometimes a change in insulin can help .

some dogs do well on vetsulin some do better on nph . sometimes changing insulin's gives the opportunity for a reset

try your plan first and see how it goes .

amydunn19 04-03-2014 07:37 PM

Mel - I think you have to do what makes you feel comfortable. The thing is these two foods aren't the only two foods on the planet. You could always look at something else. I don't know if you have the time schedule to keep experimenting but it took me several foods, many foods in fact, to get one that gave me results. Granted I was trying to find one that didn't upset her digestive system. I had a few that were ok but not perfect and I kept trying. It depends on how much time and testing you want to do. You do know a combo that works decently so that can always be your fall back food.

Auddog 04-03-2014 09:19 PM

Hi Mel,
I don't really have anything to add, I just wanted to share my support :) Sounds like you have a great plan laid out, and now it just comes down to implementation. Bazz and I are going to be watching your thread closely with high hopes things settle for you guys ; )
Good Luck!!

Audrey & Bazzle