Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

chucksmom 12-22-2014 11:36 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny

Good update on Vinny! I'm sure his new sibling will keep him busy, and you too. lol
We have a cat like Sir, I swear she can't weigh 10 lbs, but she can stop any of these dogs from going through a door just by sitting in front of it. Our pups range in size from 80-114 lbs, and none of them will pass her. It's really too funny!
Merry Christmas to you and your crew!

jesse girl 12-22-2014 12:18 PM

its kind of funny vinny is kind of following jesses path she stayed thin for a long time and then one day the ribs were gone

maybe just takes awhile for some dogs but it never affected who she was and enjoying life

good update enjoy the new kitty

Monsters Momma 12-29-2014 10:06 AM

Quick question...Isn't there something I can put on Vinny's food that is safe for him, but would make his poop not so appetizing? I know I've read about this somewhere. Thanks for any input!
Mel

Grayson 12-29-2014 10:34 AM

I've heard to use hot sauce, or you could try the bitter apple spray sold in pet stores. It's unlikely he'd ingest much once he got a taste... :D

chucksmom 12-29-2014 12:12 PM

I've heard pineapple will keep them from eating their own poop, but not sure how that would work with a diabetic pup. Maybe canned pineapple in it's own juice, not the syrup.

amydunn19 12-29-2014 06:16 PM

There are some products out there specifically made for this problem. Nutrivet makes a product called Nasty Habit. I have a customer who swears by it and another who said it didn't work. Kind of one of those every dog is different thing. I will try to find the names of some others.

Monsters Momma 06-22-2015 10:36 AM

Hi All!
Yesterday was Vinny's Two Year Sugarversary, so I thought I'd post an update!

Vinny is as sassy as ever! He really is doing great, although he hasn't got us trained yet! He still lets us know when we've left something out that shouldn't have been, by eating it, and leaving the shredded package as a message to us! You would think we would have learned by know! Other than those occasional mishaps, we've settled in on his regular diet and change his insulin when we need to. We still end up around that 20 units that we started with in the very beginning. His weight fluctuates by a couple of pounds one way or another too. Usually that's when I know his bg isn't as controlled as I like it.

The only other thing I'll mention is his eyes seem to be a bit more cloudy. He did just turn 9 last month so it could be age, or diabetes, or both. We're just keeping a better eye on him. He does seem to be barking a little less at things going on out the front door (could be the silver lining here) and he's a little more reluctant to go outside without one of us humans. Wish I knew how to train Bogey to be a seeing eye dog for a dog! We'll just keep an eye on him and adjust as needed.

I guess thatís the best kind of update, one with not much going on!Give your furry kids a scratch from me!
Mel and Vinny

Judi 06-22-2015 01:02 PM

it can't be 2 years! wow. Happy anniversary Vinny and I hope things continue to coast on through!

Sorry his eyes are getting cloudy Mel. One thing our eye doctor had suggested that I never got around to doing when Jenny first got cloudy was to put some baby lights and floor level to help her see a little better. (of course she was a lot closer to the floor than Vinny)

Hugs to you both!

jesse girl 06-22-2015 01:38 PM

congrats mel i know vinny may not be completely cooperative as far as blood sugar but i guess that goes for everything thats why you love him so much

Monsters Momma 07-06-2015 09:47 AM

Vinny had a vet check-up on Friday. We discussed several things, including
  • his eyes (age and diabetes, but not as bad as I thought),
  • his weight (decided to change his diet a bit to see if we can add a little weight), and
  • his insulin (decided to change it to Novolin from Vetsulin)
So now we're in the midst of changing, well, everything! I feel like we're back at square one re-learning! :eek: