Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ollie's Over the Rainbow Bridge (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7889)

bgdavis 04-04-2019 05:20 AM

Re: Ollie in decline?

I'm so sorry. Making the decision to release Ollie is very hard, but he deserves a quick, painless passing.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

Judi 04-04-2019 01:09 PM

Re: Ollie in decline?

I'll be thinking of you and Ollie. xoxo

oliversparents 04-08-2019 08:53 AM

Ollie's Over the Rainbow Bridge

Ollie passed away last night at about 7pm. We were with him the entire hour before he died, singing to him and caressing him. Our teen sons were home, but did not want to watch. Both boys said that at the time Ollie died, all the dogs in the neighborhood were howling or barking! They both independently noticed that, as they were both outside, but not together. He always was the King of the Hood.

His passing was peaceful, he was mostly out of it, his body trying to hold onto life. We are so glad we let him die at home. It was so much less stressful for all.

He is buried with some balls, frisbees, and his blue genie doll under the cottonwoods.

This seems like the end of an era, not only the end of Ollie. He's been with us almost the entire time the boys were growing up.

But as my son said, it's the start of a new one, too.

If anyone is considering letting their pet die naturally at home, this video was a godsend for us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdOiXKX3xBA

Many thanks and blessings to everyone here for all your support. Don't know what we would have done without you all.

Scootersmom 04-08-2019 10:51 AM

Re: Ollie's Over the Rainbow Bridge

Dogs never die. They donít know how to. They get tired, and very old, and their bones hurt. Of course they donít die. If they did they would not want to always go for a walk, even long after their old bones say:Ē No, no, not a good idea. Letís not go for a walk.Ē Nope, dogs always want to go for a walk. They might get one step before their aging tendons collapse them into a heap on the floor, but thatís what dogs are. They walk.

Itís not that they dislike your company. On the contrary, a walk with you is all there is. Their boss, and the cacaphonic symphony of odor that the world is. Cat poop, another dogís mark, a rotting chicken bone ( exultation), and you. Thatís what makes their world perfect, and in a perfect world death has no place.

However, dogs get very very sleepy. Thatís the thing, you see. They donít teach you that at the fancy university where they explain about quarks, gluons, and Keynesian economics. They know so much they forget that dogs never die. Itís a shame, really. Dogs have so much to offer and people just talk a lot.

When you think your dog has died, it has just fallen asleep in your heart. And by the way, it is wagging itís tail madly, you see, and thatís why your chest hurts so much and you cry all the time. Who would not cry with a happy dog wagging its tail in their chest. Ouch! Wap wap wap wap wap, that hurts. But they only wag when they wake up. Thatís when they say: ďThanks Boss! Thanks for a warm place to sleep and always next to your heart, the best place.Ē

When they first fall asleep, they wake up all the time, and thatís why, of course, you cry all the time. Wap, wap, wap. After a while they sleep more. (remember, a dog while is not a human while. You take your dog for walk, itís a day full of adventure in an hour. Then you come home and itís a week, well one of your days, but a week, really, before the dog gets another walk. No WONDER they love walks.)

Anyway, like I was saying, they fall asleep in your heart, and when they wake up, they wag their tail. After a few dog years, they sleep for longer naps, and you would too. They were a GOOD DOG all their life, and you both know it. It gets tiring being a good dog all the time, particularly when you get old and your bones hurt and you fall on your face and donít want to go outside to pee when it is raining but do anyway, because you are a good dog. So understand, after they have been sleeping in your heart, they will sleep longer and longer.

But donít get fooled. They are not ďdead.Ē Thereís no such thing, really. They are sleeping in your heart, and they will wake up, usually when youíre not expecting it. Itís just who they are.

May your wonderful memories of Ollie bring a smile to your face.

jesse girl 04-08-2019 12:36 PM

I am glad Ollies passing went the way you had hoped for . A natural at home transition in the place thats familiar and where he was loved . My sister in laws uncle died on hospice in the nursing home last week with only a nurse around and not sure if anyone was present but my brother was there earlier in the day.

Raysaint 04-08-2019 12:56 PM

Sincere sympathy. I admire your strength and ability to be with him. I can't imagine.

bgdavis 04-09-2019 04:57 AM

I'm very sorry for your loss of Ollie.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

LizE 04-09-2019 09:56 AM

My deepest sympathies on the passing of Ollie. I'm so glad your family got to say their goodbyes at home. As painful as it was for you, I'm sure Ollie knew you did everything you could to love and taken care of him.

MikeMurphy 04-14-2019 11:06 AM

Rest In Peace Ollie. Your parents cared for you very much and will miss you.

k9diabetes 04-16-2019 01:50 PM

I am so sorry to learn of Ollieís passing. Itís always so hard... softened a bit for those of us further from it by the knowledge that Ollie was a cherished member of a family, which means everything for a dog. Sending Ollie a kiss skyward and a hug to you all.

Natalie