Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

momofdecker 10-01-2014 01:58 PM

Re: My Monster Vinny

Glad to hear Vinny is enjoying his meals. Sounds like you have a fun vacation coming up - safe travels to you all!

Monsters Momma 10-02-2014 09:21 AM

I wish I knew what was going on with him...yesterday he went from 326 in the morning before breakfast to 51 before dinner!! He is just all over the place! :(

Cara Sandler 10-02-2014 09:23 AM

Wow! And I take it nothing has changed in his routine?

Judi 10-02-2014 10:32 AM

did you try cutting back his vetsulin a little bit?

Jenny has been all over the place but I think there are other things going on in her body so I just adjust. I hope with Vinny it is just a weather or dose issue.

hugs, that is a huge swing.

jesse girl 10-02-2014 10:42 AM

big swings in blood sugar can point to insulin being to much

sometimes the patterns can be hard to find and may take multiple curves to identify

as judi suggested with her jenny my jesse is similar she can be a bit erratic and not always dependable as far as the numbers

jesse goes through bouts of needing more or less insulin. when i see the big swings the first thing i do is reduce the dose even if numbers are not that low on the low side

we do some adjustments depending on where her numbers are with dosing and or a snack

Cpaura 10-08-2014 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 137165)
I wish I knew what was going on with him...yesterday he went from 326 in the morning before breakfast to 51 before dinner!! He is just all over the place! :(

I just did 2 curves one Saturday and one Sunday and had the same thing. Miley went from High 300's down to 80. I am going to start her on prescription food, just waiting for it to come in. Hope we figure this one out. Keep us posted, as I will too.

Monsters Momma 10-09-2014 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpaura (Post 137370)
I just did 2 curves one Saturday and one Sunday and had the same thing. Miley went from High 300's down to 80. I am going to start her on prescription food, just waiting for it to come in. Hope we figure this one out. Keep us posted, as I will too.

Vinny has a couple of good days, then a day like yesterday where he went from high 200's in the morning to 99 at dinner. Then an hour and a half later, he was even lower at 91! The IMS thinks he has something intestinal going on...nothing good. :( He's been at 20 units for three months, now he's back down to 18. Thing is, no one has told Vinny that he's sick! ;) He's been more playful than ever lately!

I'll be doing at least one curve this weekend before we leave on our trip. I hope you figure out what's going on with Miley too!

Abby's Mom 10-09-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 137388)
I'll be doing at least one curve this weekend before we leave on our trip.

You know that is why his BG is changing.... he knows you are leaving on a trip. I swear they can always tell.

Barb

Cpaura 10-09-2014 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abby's Mom (Post 137393)
You know that is why his BG is changing.... he knows you are leaving on a trip. I swear they can always tell.

Barb

I could not agree more!
I went on my first trip since Miley was diagnosed this month and she had such high numbers. When I got home I found out she had several accidents too. I went straight back to work and spot check all week, her BG was so high on spot checks plus I found her urinating on herself while I was gone. Over the weekend I stayed home and did curves Saturday and Sunday. To my surprise no accidents no issues her numbers would start high, but by the 5th hour she was under 200 and all the down to 80. Calm and steady all weekend, GO FIGURE?

Monsters Momma 12-22-2014 10:58 AM

Thought I'd update on Vinny since I haven't done so in awhile! :o

Things have been pretty calm <knocking on wood> although we have had to raise his insulin after a couple of curves and a few weeks, we're back at 20 units! :D Cracks me up that we started on 20 and we've mostly gone up or down from there, but usually end up there.

Vinny is on the same food, same insulin, same med's...not much has changed! He has not gained any weight, but he also hasn't lost any. He still seems pretty thin to me. He seems to get cold easily and I've thought about getting him a sweater, I'm just not sure he'd wear it!

Vinny has a new buddy, a four month old kitten that has taken over the household. We call him Sir Snicklefritz...or Sir for short. :) That kitten has no fear of the dogs or anything!! And they don't know what to do with him! Sir runs circles around...well...everyone! :cool:

Anyway, I guess things are pretty much the same around here...minus our new addition that is. :) I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!!
Mel and Vinny