Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jesse girl (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2001)

Patty 07-02-2012 11:04 AM

Re: Jesse girl

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse girl (Post 80355)
i went up to see mom last week and jesses cousin scooter has lymphoma and they decide not do to any chemo but decided to use prednisone and has shrunk the tumors to where you cant see them dont know if this put her in remission but she has lived longer than expected and she is the healthiest i have seen her in a long time no allergies coat is not shedding all the time and wants to play all the time

she has put some weight on and i informed the family to hold back on the extra snacks because they felt sorry for her and thought she might be gone soon so let her eat anything she wants and that may not be a good idea because we dont know how long they will stay and as we know the medication can contribute to higher blood sugar and possible diabetes so a strict diet may actually preserve health and life

any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated my brother more than likely will not do much more than giving the prednisone but maybe i can persuade to look into a diet that is more appropriate and cutting out the snacks the vet said not much exercise but i did the opposite when i was there she had plenty of energy and she so enjoys to play i have no experience in this matter

I can't help a whole lot with lymphoma care. I know there are diets available on the internet to support the overall health. From what I've read remission can occur but often doesn't last long :(.

Peggy's Forbin passed from lymphoma. As did Teva, a young golden in this blog who had gone through chemo http://tailwaggingmuse.com/2011/05/2...the-wunderdog/

Definitely enjoy each day to the fullest!

jesse girl 07-02-2012 12:04 PM

thanks patty for the info she is only 9 but as you said may not be allot of time but enjoy each day i am quite fond of her and so is jesse and that maybe the last time we can enjoy each other and we definitely did a good job at that lots of walks and playing ball

eileen 07-03-2012 07:04 AM

I'm afraid that I too know nothing about lymphoma other than what has already briefly been described.
Altho I thought Peroxicam, the same medication that Mil was on, is also used for this cancer too.

Must say tho that altho I can understand your concern over the snacks, personally I would let her as well as her family enjoy whatever makes her happy, not saying to go overboard.

Good wishes to Jesse's cousin...

Rubytuesday 07-03-2012 07:11 AM

Hi Jessiegirl, I think nowadays they recommend a low carb or carb free diet for cancer patients. Going from memory here but I think the comment was that the carbs feed the cancer. I believe high protien would be better for the BGs as the break down would be slower.

Abby's Mom 07-03-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubytuesday (Post 80459)
Hi Jessiegirl, I think nowadays they recommend a low carb or carb free diet for cancer patients. Going from memory here but I think the comment was that the carbs feed the cancer. I believe high protien would be better for the BGs as the break down would be slower.

Sorry to hear this... you never want to see any of them go through pain, but I did want to say, that I have read the same. Low Carbs is what is suggested.

Good choices would be Zucchini, squash leafy greens broccoli, cabbage.. protein and fats, such as canned fish (like salmon), as well as ground beef liver, kidney, eggs yogurts are all good choices.

Enjoy each day.

eileen 07-03-2012 07:49 AM

Here's the cancer group that I read on, tho I know there is a specific one for lymphoma as was mentioned.

There is a whole section in their files discussing special diets and supplements.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/CanineCancer/

I'm thinking that it may be misunderstood that your brother's dog is diabetic which as I'm understanding, it is not.

momofdecker 07-04-2012 08:20 PM

Wishing the best for your brother's dog... sounds like she still has a lot of zest left for life and sometimes that will to live can be stronger than any illness. So glad you got to have some play time with her!

jesse girl 07-04-2012 08:58 PM

yes eileen not diabetic and she did not show any signs of high glucose with the prednisone for now and thanks for the info i will give my brother some recommendations on diet if it does raise glucose actually a diabetic diet maybe appropriate so the body does not have to work so hard i do wonder when dogs receive this medication you would think the vet would recommend an appropriate diet maybe they dont think about those things

thanks for the support holli she is quite the spitfire wright now being a jack russel terrier she just loves chasing the ball could do it 24 hours a day nice to see her with so much energy she may have had problems for some time by the way she was acting in the past

i worry about cooco her younger yorky sister same symptoms with allergies as scootter had before the predisone but she is still very young and having fun

Judi 07-07-2012 01:00 PM

my ex brother in law's 8 year old dog was diagnosed with cancer a month ago and the prednisone has put her into some type of remission also. I tried to warn him about diabetes but he is so consumed with the worry about cancer he didn't get it and I guess I can see that. His vet has gone from saying his dog had months to live to years so I hope your Brother's dog does the same!

jesse girl 07-07-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judi (Post 80711)
my ex brother in law's 8 year old dog was diagnosed with cancer a month ago and the prednisone has put her into some type of remission also. I tried to warn him about diabetes but he is so consumed with the worry about cancer he didn't get it and I guess I can see that. His vet has gone from saying his dog had months to live to years so I hope your Brother's dog does the same!

well we hope to see scooter at thanksgiving thats good news on the thought of years and not just months

i think a diet that could help the body from not working so hard a diabetic one would actually help and may prevent diabetes from occurring

you would think that should be a recommendation when going on this medication i guess they just dont think that far ahead

judi thanks for the pick me up maybe scooter has more time i will let the family know that its maybe not a good idea to give her all those snacks because they thought she had little time left she looks great but she is putting on weight