Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

amydunn19 12-10-2013 07:12 PM

Re: My Monster Vinny

Yay, Mel and Vinny!

momofdecker 12-11-2013 10:32 AM

Nice to have that validation once in awhile - well done to you and Vinny!

Monsters Momma 12-17-2013 07:05 AM

Of course now that things are pretty stable...I'm going to start messing with food. :rolleyes: He is on Iams Veterinary Formula Glucose and Weight Control Plus Optimum Weight Control Dry Dog Food and he keeps losing weight. John is taking him tonight to find out just how much, but I feel his bones everywhere I touch him and it's not like we are starving him. He gets almost 3 cups of food with 1/2 cup of green beans and heaping tablespoon of pumpkin. Lately I've been adding 1/4 pasta. Thanks twice a day! :eek:

Since my office is closed down during Christmas to New Years, I think it will be a good time. Now, how do I do this? I assume I don't just switch him overnight, and do I reduce his insulin or keep it the same? Obviously, he needs more calories, so does that mean less insulin? I really could use some input. :confused:

Riliey and Mo 12-17-2013 10:28 AM

Hey Mel

Changing foods can be a crap shoot. What i would do is look here in this forum, see what others are feeding their diabetic dogs. Then theres also thedogadvisor.com to read the reviews.

Its good to feed 1/4 new to 3/4 old first day, 1/2 new to 1/2 old, 3/4 new to 1/4 old. Etc.

Its important to reduce the insulin switching to a food with more protein. Then test at fasting then 2 hours later. Thats the way I changed food with Riliey to put some weight on him

Also feed what the feed guideline says for that particular food according to weight.

Riliey was at 6 1/2 iu, I dropped back to his recommended dose which is .25 of his weight 20 lbs. Gave him 5 units did the food change. I was lucky. He, s still at 5 iu a year later and regulated.

Mo

Abby's Mom 12-17-2013 11:22 AM

Hi Mel,

I just switched Abby's food myself. She started to turn her nose up to Honest Kitchen, and looked for something in the dehydrated line (similar) and close to same calories. I decided upon Sojos - Grain free Turkey. She has interest back in her food.

So, measure calories, and then increase a bit, if you need to put some weight one. There is a calorie by weight on Dog Food Advisor.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fe...od-calculator/

When switching like Mo suggested, you can introduce the new food with the old as recommended. It also change Blood Sugar a little more slowly than quickly switching. If you are increasing calories, you may not need to drastically reduce his insulin, but it is a good idea to be able to raise it, and not lower it during the transition... makes sleeping at night a bit better.

Test and Test and Test - I run curves on the days that I am switching - just to be sure that she isn't going too low.

Good luck!
Barb

Monsters Momma 12-17-2013 04:54 PM

John just got back from the vet and Vinny weigh's 86.8 lb!! He's basically lost another 8 lbs bringing the grand total to 16!! Now he needed to lose a few pounds but geez!! So, questions...is it better to add protein not calories or if you're adding one are you adding the other? When Vinny was first diagnosed the vet said to have him eat this. I didn't research or ask questions. Now I'm not sure what to look for in a food that good for a diabetic dog and will put some meat on his bones! I know food is one of 'those' conversations, but I could really use a shove in the right direction!
Thanks,
Mel

Abby's Mom 12-18-2013 07:44 AM

Mel,

Research - I did alot of research when selecting HK for Abby, and recently another switch. But from my limited knowledge:

Protein is very important in a diabetic dog as it will retain muscle tone, and keep up the immune system:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/ar...d=459#answer_1

Moderate Carbs, as we well know to moderate insulin.

Fat - will put on the calories, but diabetics should not have too much, so it is a fine balance.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/canine...-fat-dog-food/

Fiber - something that can always be added in easily enough. I have read reports that this can help, and sometimes not. Of course we know it all depends upon the dog.

Another link for general component of dog food.

http://www.dog-health-guide.org/dog-food.html

Also, it comes down to: Will Vinny eat it.???.. that is very important, as well as something that is affordable. It can be crazy out there, with some of these prices. Thankful I have a small dog. Yikes!.

I looked in alot of the tag lines of our members to see what they were feeding, and then did research. I switched alot in the beginning, tried Blue Buffalo, Wellness Core... but for Abby it just spiked her quite a bit, and her skin issues got worse. After a few failures, then I knew more intuitively what I was looking for, taking all of her issues into consideration.

So I do not think one food will work for all dogs.. The presciption ones are designed for diabetes, and for those dogs that need to lose weight. Once your dog doesn't fit in that category, it becomes a guessing game.

Good luck.
Barb

amydunn19 12-18-2013 08:34 AM

I think what Barb says is true. It is so individual to the dog. I guess that is why we all have a different combo. I was always limited by a picky eater and ingredients that just didn't suit Maggie. She had the hardest times with foods containing potatoes and rice. She would have gas, bloating, and diarrhea. Her life changed on Nutrisca. It is funny that when I worried less about blood sugar and more about the pancreatitis/digestion issues, I found what worked. My vet would never say that a food with that much fat would be ok for pancreatitis but it works for her. Sometimes, you just have to experiment and put preconceived ideas aside.

ceruleanblue 12-18-2013 09:00 AM

When I was looking to switch foods, I went around to the closest pet stores to see what was available locally, then I wrote down the ones I was most interested in, came home and researched them. I was looking for a food that wouldn't irritate Piper's ulcer, was higher quality than what she was previously fed, and that was affordable for two large dogs (like Barb said, prices can be crazy!). When I finally decided on the one I wanted to try, I emailed the company and asked for a sample, because I wanted to make sure the dogs would eat it, and it only comes in a 40lb bag! It seems like a lot of companies are pretty willing to send out samples (sometimes pet stores will have them too), so that could be something to look into once you've got your choices narrowed down. I did a lot of researching and comparing on dogfoodadvisor.

Monsters Momma 12-18-2013 01:49 PM

BTW...don't throw anything at me, but I've been very blessed with having a dog that will eat anything! <ducking> :D I even got a whole new shoe wardrobe because of him!

On the downside of that, he has eaten so many different things that when he stopped eating once for a couple of days, I took him to the vet because I knew something was wrong!! :rolleyes: He had to have his stomach xray'd and although there was something there, the vet was sure it would pass.

Thanks for the posts and the links...my goal is to have decided on something before this bag of food runs out next week.