Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

ceruleanblue 12-18-2013 02:16 PM

Re: My Monster Vinny
 
My dogs have never been picky either, but I didn't want to take the chance that the one time they decided they didn't like something, I would have a whole 40 lb. bag of it!

jesse girl 12-19-2013 09:30 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny
 
jesse was very thin for a long time . many times i tried to add some additional food and that did not work well i ended up giving her an additional quarter cup of beef heart and that amount was ok and after a couple years i removed that quarter cup under jesses protest . he system is fragile and we walk a tight rope to keep things stable

so you dont have to be in a rush to put weight back on you can go slowly . we get so use to our pups being more husky it feels weird when they are thin

it took jesse 6 months to put weight on once i added the quarter cup first i wanted to just stabilize her weight and slowly bring her back up so not to upset things to much

Monsters Momma 12-19-2013 10:23 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse girl (Post 120938)
jesse was very thin for a long time . many times i tried to add some additional food and that did not work well i ended up giving her an additional quarter cup of beef heart and that amount was ok and after a couple years i removed that quarter cup under jesses protest . he system is fragile and we walk a tight rope to keep things stable

so you dont have to be in a rush to put weight back on you can go slowly . we get so use to our pups being more husky it feels weird when they are thin

it took jesse 6 months to put weight on once i added the quarter cup first i wanted to just stabilize her weight and slowly bring her back up so not to upset things to much

Thanks for the encouragement and reminder to take things slow. I feel I got everything working without paying attention to the fact that his weight wasn't stabilized. Now I need to take a step back and look at everything...

If I found this dog on the street, I would think it's owner was starving it!:eek: Except for it's shiny coat and nice skin underneath!

jesse girl 12-19-2013 10:51 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 120946)
Thanks for the encouragement and reminder to take things slow. I feel I got everything working without paying attention to the fact that his weight wasn't stabilized. Now I need to take a step back and look at everything...

If I found this dog on the street, I would think it's owner was starving it!:eek: Except for it's shiny coat and nice skin underneath!

thats something that actually happened with jesse and me. a teenage girl (stranger ) saw me and jesse walking and thought i was starving her it was a hurtful comment without understanding jesse challenges . she was young and only thought that jesse was being harmed so i understand .

it sounds like vinny is very healthy and is doing well he may never get back to his old weight do to diet with the diabetes but maybe that is a good thing as they get older its better to have less weight on there joints

when i see a coyote they all look like they are starving but they all seem to be doing well and seem very healthy

i am sure the ribs will slowly disappear as jesses did

Monsters Momma 02-03-2014 07:41 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny
 
Hi All~~
I realized I had not updated on Vinny in a while...I hadn't realized it was mid December! Oh well, life gets busy. ;)

Vinny has been doing very well since I changed his food. We went with Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Salmon. Both dogs seem to like it and eat well, and Vinny has gained back a bit of weight. :) I'm not sure if he's always hungry, excited about the new food or just doesn't get the whole daylight savings time change thing, but every day he starts letting me know he wants dinner at least an hour too early! :D

We're back up to 20 units...ironic that's where we started when first diagnosed! :rolleyes: I have enough vials of Vetsulin to get through a month...so now I'm thinking about switching Vinny to a less expensive insulin. I hate to change though since Vinny has done well on the Vetsulin. :confused: I think a discussion with the vet is in order...and any input you all have would be welcomed.

That's about it for us right now. Give your pups a scratch from us! :)

sherryandfred 02-03-2014 10:04 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 123309)
Hi All~~
I realized I had not updated on Vinny in a while...I hadn't realized it was mid December! Oh well, life gets busy. ;)

Vinny has been doing very well since I changed his food. We went with Blue Buffalo Wilderness, Salmon. Both dogs seem to like it and eat well, and Vinny has gained back a bit of weight. :) I'm not sure if he's always hungry, excited about the new food or just doesn't get the whole daylight savings time change thing, but every day he starts letting me know he wants dinner at least an hour too early! :D

We're back up to 20 units...ironic that's where we started when first diagnosed! :rolleyes: I have enough vials of Vetsulin to get through a month...so now I'm thinking about switching Vinny to a less expensive insulin. I hate to change though since Vinny has done well on the Vetsulin. :confused: I think a discussion with the vet is in order...and any input you all have would be welcomed.

That's about it for us right now. Give your pups a scratch from us! :)

so glad to hear vinny is doing so well..good for you both..:) winter tends to keep us busy one way or another..nice to hear from you..
fred is on novlen N from walmart...been on it for years he started on vetsulin and its just to much money and it ended up not working for him..but this one works well and its cheap!!! good luck figuring it out..and hope all keeps going well.

Riliey and Mo 02-03-2014 03:06 PM

Re: My Monster Vinny
 
Hey Mel, nice to see u back, just gave Riles a big scratch. He likes it after our walks when I take off his harness and sweater.

Just wanted to mention about switching insulin. I switched from caninsulin same as vetinsulin here in canada to novolin nph. Its more concentrated so I use less. 20 units might be too much and to start at a lower dose and work your way up, testing as u go.

momofdecker 02-03-2014 03:12 PM

Re: My Monster Vinny
 
Glad all is well with you and Vinny. You have all the tools and knowledge if you are up for giving the switch a try!

When we switched Decker from humulin (was the wal-mart relion back then) to levemir - the levemir was more costly. Once we discovered all he had going on and why he'd been so difficult to regulate we weighed the pros and cons of considering a switch back to humulin.

We ended up sticking w/ levemir - mainly because he had a very steady and predictable profile with it. And because of the potency the overall cost turned out to not be that much higher. His history on the humulin could have been a result of all he had (unknowingly at the time) going on but it also could have been a result of him having been overdosed on it. I was too chicken to risk going back. :eek:

Wishing you the best if you decide to move forward in giving the change a try!

Auddog 02-03-2014 08:57 PM

Re: My Monster Vinny
 
Hi Mel,
Lovely update to read :D, so happy you and Vinny are doing well.

Personally I agree with Holli. I'd weigh the pros and cons keeping in mind how well he's doing on Vetsulin, the discussion with your vet, the differences between Vetsulin versus other insulins you're considering, and the money side of things. I can't really comment past that because Bazz and I have only used NPH & 70/30, no experience with Vetsulin.

I just gave Bazz a great big hug, lol. Best of luck to you; I know you'll do great!!

Audrey & Bazzle

Linda1 02-04-2014 05:14 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny
 
Glad to read the all has been going well for your and Vinny!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2009, 2010 k9diabetes.com. All rights reserved.