Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

Monsters Momma 02-25-2014 10:07 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny

So I've been out of town, then sick for the last two+ days. I'm not doing that again! John has screwed everything up! :eek: Ok, maybe not everything...but I'm sick so it feel it.

I was concerned about Vinny's weight last Friday and told John after the curve on Sunday, I thought I'd increase his food. John increased it Friday night!! :mad: I get the distinct impression that the two other people in my house do not listen to me...one is 13 so she has an excuse. :rolleyes:

So no curve on Sunday and his numbers are up in the mid-300's. Ugghh!

jamiel18 02-25-2014 10:15 AM

I'm sure Vinny enjoyed the extra food! He sounds like quite the character after skimming through your posts. I can just picture him going "yes I will not tell mom just keep giving me the food!" :D

And all I can say is John is not the only one! I write things down for my husband where he can read it and he still doesn't listen!

I hope you're feeling better and hopefully Vinny gets back on track pretty quick.

Monsters Momma 02-25-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamiel18 (Post 124485)
I'm sure Vinny enjoyed the extra food! He sounds like quite the character after skimming through your posts. I can just picture him going "yes I will not tell mom just keep giving me the food!" :D

He would absolutely do this!! In a heartbeat!!;)

Monsters Momma 02-26-2014 07:57 AM

I am almost too embarrassed to post this, but I don't want you all thinking my husband is a nut...rather you know that I am. :o

You see, I suffer from massive migraines and with those some pretty heavy duty meds...sometimes I have dreams that I just know was not a dream because they are so real. Sunday and Monday I was in bed, all day, with a migraine...and taking above mentioned drugs. :(

I mentioned to John last night that I was upset that he went ahead and changed Vinny's food before a curve could be run and he said "No I didn't", "But you told me you did" and of course the smart arse that he is said "When exactly?" and it hit me, well after it hit him apparently. :o He's used to me asking if something happened.

So, there you have it. I'm the one that messed Vinny up, since I thought John had already given him more food, so did I and I gave him more insulin to boot! Vinny wasn't very happy once we figured this out and changed him back. :(

Monsters Momma 02-26-2014 04:37 PM

I'm feeling overwhelmed. Friday when I took Vinny in to the vet and had bloodwork done, I told her I was concerned that he was still losing weight. Her response was if he wasn't regulated he probably would continue to lose weight. I kind of shrugged it off *knowing* that he was. But it still didn't answer my concern.

Last night when I figured out the whole food snafu from this weekend, I told john I thought Vinny needed a nutritionist to get us on the right path. So I looked for one today...easier said than done.

Then I have a great idea to call Blue Buffalo to see if they can suggest another food that might help Vinny, but I'm told that he should be gaining weight not losing it. Especially since I'm giving him more than the feeding guidelines say! She suggested I call the vet to see if there is some underlying cause.

I went back and read what regulated meant.

I feel like I've read and read and picked out what *should* work and it isn't. Vinny seems to be at his healthiest, minus the 5 or so pounds he needs to gain. I don't get it.

jesse girl 02-26-2014 04:58 PM

i can understand the weight loss . with jess being so thin for so long it was hard to grab and hold her feeling all those ribs . even had an individual say i was cruel to jesse because i was starving her . it was hard time

the diferance between vinny and jesse was jesse was ill at the time . we did not think jesse would make it . woke up in the morning and she was still here. i added more food it lead to problems but i was able to give a bit more over time .

she put some weight back on and got her spunk back i think it may have taken a couple years to get there if you can believe that . it all feels like a dream to me

i have very vivid dreams and i am on no medication so understand sometimes reality can be skewed .

so if he is feeling good and is not loosing a huge amount of weight maybe things are ok for the short term . its very possible there maybe something else occurring outside of diabetes . for most blood sugar in the 300s and sometimes higher seems to be good enough for the body to use the nutrition from food

Eddie 02-27-2014 05:05 AM

It is worrying when they are thin. Eddie lost a lot of weight when first diagnosed and for several months after he kept losing. eventually he stopped losing and very gradually started putting a bit on. He now stays around the same weight which is a bit less than he used to be typically before diabetes.

I don't even look at what the recommended amounts of food are and I just feed according to how thin or fat they are. When I did once out of curiosity compare Eddie's ration to what it said on the bag I found I was feeding lots more than it said. He has EPI which means that he needs more than average amounts of food because he does not absorb it well. I would think that one impact of diabetes might be similar for some dogs even if they are, broadly speaking, regulated.

So I suppose in your situation (especially if he seems healthy and happy) I would start with just feeding him more, either the same food or adding something extra to it - obviously keeping an eye on whether he needs more insulin to balance any extra food.
Antonia

PS Vinny says that this suggestion gets his vote!!

amydunn19 02-27-2014 06:00 AM

I agree with Antonia - gaining weight requires more food which requires more insulin. You should be able to balance his food and insulin as you keep such a close eye on his numbers. I am sure Vinny will also vote for more food:p

Interesting comment by the vet - does she not consider Vinny regulated? It sounds like she was being dismissive which is frustrating, but you will figure this out. I think vets say that kind of thing when they don't have an answer:D

Also, the feeding guidelines are just guidelines - every dog is different. Increasing his food is worth trying - worst case scenario is you go back to what you are doing now.

Monsters Momma 03-04-2014 11:22 AM

Vinny won and got the more food vote! ;) Which made his bg go up...which made his insulin go up! I took him up by 1 unit because his numbers were in the 300's. If ya'll remember, he can be quite sensitive to changes, but I thought I was safe there.

Funny thing, since his bg was completely off the day he was at the vets, they asked me to do a curve. I sent them 4. :D One was a throw away, because it was not a typical curve for him...so much so, I did another one the day after. :rolleyes: I told her when we change his food and then when we changed his insulin. She told me that she would have told me to take it up 2 units, but 1 was fine, we'll see how the next curve goes. She then started explaining when I could do the next curve and why I needed to wait 5-7 days. I almost said "This isn't my first rodeo," but was gaining a new respect for her. :) I think she knows more about diabetes than the older vet we have been seeing.

We'll see if we can get his bg down with the extra food.:rolleyes:

Monsters Momma 03-09-2014 09:28 AM

So Vinny's blood sugar has been pretty high for high for him, high 300's and a 400 reading today. So I decided to take him for a walk to get it to come down. It went up!:eek: We've got to have the only diabetic dog that exercise makes his bg go up!

Any suggestions on what to do to help it come down would be welcome!