Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Our sweet Vinny is an angel, July 27, 2018 (http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4998)

Monsters Momma 04-04-2014 05:57 AM

Re: My Monster Vinny

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherryandfred (Post 127345)
i found after awhile when fred was on vetsulin that it didnt work for him..thats why we switched to what he was on the Novolin N..not sure if you can look at changing or not? if not i am sure you will figure it out..hope he does better for you soon..

I have wondered about that with the Vetsulin. That's one if the reasons I want to drop back to what I know worked. If it still works, than I'll know it isn't the Vetsulin. I just know that what I'm doing now isn't working.

Thanks Sherry, I know this is a difficult time for you an it means a lot that you took time to respond to me.
Hugs,
Mel

Monsters Momma 04-04-2014 06:10 AM

Jesse's Girl, Amy, and Audrey,
I really appreciate the support. I do feel I need to get back to something I know worked, then try something else. I've been watching Vinny like a hawk the last month or so and I really feel I need to get his bg down. His cataracts, I think, have gotten worse and I don't want that to continue just because his bg is high. I know he's at risk for blindness anyway, I don't wasn't to feel that it was something I did or didn't do that led to it. :(

Once I get him back to where I know I can, I'll try something else. The good thing about Vinny is that he'll eat anything! And I do mean anything! ;). Like you said Amy, this is my fall back. :). I know this works and if it doesn't after I've given it some time, I'll know it's not the food.

Now a question. Do you think a two week period is enough time to re-evaluate? I was thinking since I'm changing food and insulin that two weeks would be a good time frame with me checking him every day and doing a curve at the one week mark. What do you think?:confused:
Mel

Judi 04-04-2014 06:42 AM

you know I'm no expert but I'd think 2 weeks would be a good time to re-check

hang in there!

amydunn19 04-04-2014 07:29 AM

It depends on him - two weeks should be good.

Monsters Momma 04-08-2014 03:31 AM

Woohoo!! Vinny's numbers are coming down!! I haven't done a curve yet, but he's had two numbers I'm thrilled to see...229 and 189 at fasting! I haven't had a number in the 100's in months!

Just thought I'd share my joy!! :D

Linda1 04-08-2014 03:51 AM

Yay!! Hope the lower numbers continue.

sherryandfred 04-08-2014 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monsters Momma (Post 127615)
Woohoo!! Vinny's numbers are coming down!! I haven't done a curve yet, but he's had two numbers I'm thrilled to see...229 and 189 at fasting! I haven't had a number in the 100's in months!

Just thought I'd share my joy!! :D

yaa vinny way to go keep it up!!

Monsters Momma 04-16-2014 06:15 AM

So, I did a curve this past weekend that I wasn't entirely thrilled with. After talking to John, I realized I wasn't comparing apples to apples...we were actually feeding Vinny more now then we were in December! So, obviously we needed to take his insulin up too. :rolleyes: (This is where that log book comes in handy...the one I'm creating after the fact! :o) So we bumped him up to 21 units 2x day to go with the 3 cups of food and we're going to do another curve this next weekend.

Vinny does seem to be more hungry on the Rx food then on the Blue Buffalo. I wonder what it is that makes him more hungry?? :confused:

Forgot to add...Vinny 'found' a Hershey's chocolate bar yesterday! :eek: By the time we got home yesterday, his bg was 298 so I'm thinking he 'found' it much earlier in the day! First Pop-Tarts now chocolate bars...this dog has quite a sweet tooth! :p

jesse girl 04-16-2014 06:43 AM

oh my mel chocolate bars and pop tarts . vinny has no idea he is diabetic

they say we are more satisfied as far as appetite with food that has more protein and less carbs with more highly digestible carb the more we want to eat . hence the weight problem in this country like eating chips and things like that

they say it has an affect on the brain with response to food . maybe the food vinney is eating may have the same response and feel more hungry

i know some foods i eat i feel more full longer . jesse would eat all the time if given the opportunity so who knows for sure .

yep raising the dose with elevated numbers in a curve is the normal procedure hope it brings those numbers down a bit

Monsters Momma 04-16-2014 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse girl (Post 128178)
oh my mel chocolate bars and pop tarts . vinny has no idea he is diabetic

:D No, no he doesn't!